Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

maybealabia posted:

Extra lightsabers for his impetuous Jedi commander and general

Canon answer

Close the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

MMAgCh posted:

We’ve already seen her admit almost cheerfully to Huyang that she has no idea whether this Purrgil-enabled journey is going to work out the way they want it to, which I don’t think I could have pictured the old Ahsoka saying/doing.
Oh sure, I think the transformation is actually pretty evident - but if (as in General Dog's case) you don't find it that obvious, then I think the point stands that it's a little early to be wondering how she's any different now.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

site posted:

I noticed, very respectfully

Instead of saying “that actress has a fit body she put a lot work into and while I do find her physically attractive, I also appreciate that the effort and discipline”, I just say, “Rosario Dawson should fight crime”.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

No Mods No Masters posted:

Someone said the other day by way of analogy it would be ridiculous to criticize return of the king without watching the previous two films. But would it really?

It has been a really long time since I've read it, so I don't remember where in LOTR (if at all) it falls, but ROTK specifically has an added(?) scene where Smeagol literally strangles someone to death over the Ring. Then it shows him being driven mad by it. The movie goes out of its way to bring you up to speed on 1) there is an evil ring, 2) good guys want to destroy it, 3) bad guys want to use it, and 4) this Gollum guy is neither and incredibly unreliable. Off you go, person who got dragged to the theater without seeing the first two! If anything, ROTK is a terrible example of "getting lost in the last part of a trilogy."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Given who Ahsoka's master was, her going "I have no idea what I'm doing so I'm just going to live every day like it's my last" is extremely fitting

Wonder if that means she'll be a little more - pardon the pun - animated going forward instead of "I have two idle poses and the facial range of a 1990s game character"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowmanatee posted:

Nobody has ever said those phrases you put in quotes. It is objectively a continuation of the plot and characters from Rebels. That’s all anyone has ever said.

Larryb posted:

Also it’s literally a direct sequel to one of the cartoons (Star Wars Rebels) and the main character was first introduced in the Clone Wars series. It was also explicitly marketed as such from the beginning

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Megillah Gorilla posted:

When a gay man is noticing your lady-butt shots, you're overdoing it.

This is Star Wars, created by George "There's no underwear in space" Lucas

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Usually the idea of any major release in an ongoing property is to have a big tent and welcome in new people too. Peter jackson and the gang would probably love it if you came in at return of the king, it's certainly better than you not coming in at all. I would imagine filoni would say similar if you asked him.

So I find some of the defensive "you need to have started at the beginning" kind of arguments very strange, and really not what disney is explicitly marketing anyway

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That’s factually accurate, yes (and every bit of news that wasn’t a trailer mentioned this). Your point?

This isn’t even the first live action Star Wars thing to call back to the cartoons, it’s just that until now that stuff’s mostly been relegated to cameos. Also there are wiki articles where you could familiarize yourself with the characters if you don’t want to watch a whole other show

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 14, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
is remembering when EA was unironically trying to sell to people that Mass Effect 3 was the perfect place to jump into the series on before release, and laughing

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Ahsoka has been great and stands on its own legs, but if someone is taking their time watching a bunch of star wars anyways, yeah I'd recommend watching both Rebels and Ahsoka in that order.

If someone is just curious about dipping into a star wars show... D'ya like lightsabers and space dogfights?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Phylodox posted:

I was so distracted by Hayden’s accent in this episode. He just sounded so very Canadian to me. I kept expecting him to bust out a “gently caress you, Shoresy!”

Give you modechloreans a tug bud!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It is kind of funny that within the series they clearly recognize the importance of getting the audience up to speed by providing recaps but they leave out doing the most important one, which would be before the first episode. To get up to speed for the series itself it's just like meh, go watch YouTube or something.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lobok posted:

It is kind of funny that within the series they clearly recognize the importance of getting the audience up to speed by providing recaps but they leave out doing the most important one, which would be before the first episode. To get up to speed for the series itself it's just like meh, go watch YouTube or something.

Now that I can agree with (there’s an opening crawl but it doesn’t really tell a new viewer much)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I think Ahsoka did a "fine" job onboarding, they tell/show you everything you really need to know, but it's something you just have to almost buy into as face value as it like doesn't make you for lack of a better way of saying it "feel it".

Like they told you all the pertinent information, but the show isn't executed well enough to get you to like invest in or care(about Ahsoka anyway), my wife who has seen none of the star wars shows besides this one, managed to get invested in what was going on with Sabine, while this past episode was the first time she had any real thoughts or interest in Ahsoka as a character.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
If you didn't watch the Fortnite event, you have only yourself to blame. It was clearly advertised.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

koolkal posted:

If you didn't watch the Fortnite event, you have only yourself to blame. It was clearly advertised.

I'd still argue that was worse, at least in this case the previous material is still easily available on the same platform as the current series

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

koolkal posted:

Look that was explained and covered in the movie

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

"Your legacy, like your master's, is one of Death and Destruction." is what Baylan told her told last episode. And then she spends this episode in whatever weird magic place she was in reflecting on how she was raised to be a solider. All she's ever done is fight a war, a rebellion, and how she's pushing so hard now because she's terrified of Thrawn bringing about another war.

Meanwhile Anakin in his somewhat overbearing and awkward way is all "hey, there is/was more to you and I than being a solider. More than just death and destruction. " I don't see how this is that hard to follow. Its maybe not especially deep or complex, sure, but its not so opaque either.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Dexo posted:

He looks so ashamed; he looks like a 5-year-old blaming something on the dog.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dexo posted:

Even the message itself doesn’t really give you any more context than the movie does:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=0vHrQCKaJiQ

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Marsupial Ape posted:

Instead of saying “that actress has a fit body she put a lot work into and while I do find her physically attractive, I also appreciate that the effort and discipline”, I just say, “Rosario Dawson should fight crime”.

I was watching the show and lots of it was kinda Eh but they kept featuring Mary Winstead from the point of view of Rosario Dawson should fight crime.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
Just remembered I saw Revenge of the Sith in the theater with someone who hadn’t seen the other prequels. Normal people have been watching Star Wars poo poo without full context for decades. What I don’t understand are the people who are so invested in Star Wars that they post on the internet about it getting bent out of shape over optionally watching even more Star Wars for a chance of appreciating it more fully. But I’m a freak who likes when works push me to engage with other stuff, I guess.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Galaga Galaxian posted:

"Your legacy, like your master's, is one of Death and Destruction." is what Baylan told her told last episode. And then she spends this episode in whatever weird magic place she was in reflecting on how she was raised to be a solider. All she's ever done is fight a war, a rebellion, and how she's pushing so hard now because she's terrified of Thrawn bringing about another war.

Meanwhile Anakin in his somewhat overbearing and awkward way is all "hey, there is/was more to you and I than being a solider. More than just death and destruction. " I don't see how this is that hard to follow. Its maybe not especially deep or complex, sure, but its not so opaque either.

That's certainly what we're told by a number of people; but I don't see a character who seems to really be grappling with her past over these past few episodes. I just see a character who's cool-headed and enigmatic basically all the time. I don't know if that's a failure of writing, failure of performance, or both, but she hasn't come across as having needed that pep talk. She seems quite secure in what she is and what she's doing.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

She seems to me like she's basically doing the same stuff as always but now smiling. So thank you anakin for your lesson, smile more

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowmanatee posted:

Just remembered I saw Revenge of the Sith in the theater with someone who hadn’t seen the other prequels. Normal people have been watching Star Wars poo poo without full context for decades. What I don’t understand are the people who are so invested in Star Wars that they post on the internet about it getting bent out of shape over optionally watching even more Star Wars for a chance of appreciating it more fully. But I’m a freak who likes when works push me to engage with other stuff, I guess.

I just straight up didn’t like the shows. But I liked that ashoka Mando episode a lot, so I was interested in seeing more adventures with her more than I was while watching the actual show she came from.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Gold bikinis notwithstanding, Star Wars has never gone out of its way to pander to male gaze, but this season has had a hell of a lot of shots of Hera and Sabine slowly walking away from a camera placed low to the ground.

It's cheap and gross.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So just to be perfectly clear, this is all going to culminate in the introduction of the Yuuzhan Vong, right? Like they're going to set up the future big bad guys of the New Jedi Order era, right?

This has been Dave Filonis plan since before the Clone Wars show was cancelled, right?

Right? :stare:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
There's a vid on you tube where it's just the Ashoka purgatory scenes, and it's only eight minutes long.
It confirms that this episode should have only been fifteen minutes long but you gotta squeeze in that rear end

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Monica Bellucci posted:

I was watching the show and lots of it was kinda Eh but they kept featuring Mary Winstead from the point of view of Rosario Dawson should fight crime.

I would phrase that as “Mary Winstead’s rear end should fight crime” for comedy reasons. I’m not saying they don’t linger on the women’s bodies.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

General Dog posted:

That's certainly what we're told by a number of people; but I don't see a character who seems to really be grappling with her past over these past few episodes. I just see a character who's cool-headed and enigmatic basically all the time. I don't know if that's a failure of writing, failure of performance, or both, but she hasn't come across as having needed that pep talk. She seems quite secure in what she is and what she's doing.
I'm not sure if she was actually supposed to be actively grappling with it; the way she acted in the Clone Wars flashbacks, it seemed to me more like reliving those moments actually made her realise what awful cards she'd really been dealt at such a young age, and how they shaped her into what she now was. I think it was more about realising what she had become, and understanding that she can be a different person and build a different future for herself (and, by extension, for any students she may take on).

AndyElusive posted:

So just to be perfectly clear, this is all going to culminate in the introduction of the Yuuzhan Vong, right? Like they're going to set up the future big bad guys of the New Jedi Order era, right?

This has been Dave Filonis plan since before the Clone Wars show was cancelled, right?

Please no

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Gold bikinis notwithstanding, Star Wars has never gone out of its way to pander to male gaze, but this season has had a hell of a lot of shots of Hera and Sabine slowly walking away from a camera placed low to the ground.

It's cheap and gross.

Vinylshadow posted:

It's C1-134P & GR-055

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
I noticed rear end one (1) time in this latest episode, so can’t deny there was some horny framing, but is it really recurring throughout the series? I lived through the Miranda rear end shot controversy of Mass Effect, so maybe I’m just oblivious to more subtle rear end framing.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

the filoni movie will be similar in visual style to the video game Scorn but with more buttshots

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The Vong in some way shape or form have to be the next big war. They're what Baylan Skoll is hinting at! He wants to unify the Star Wars galaxy against an outside enemy.

By the time they show up, it'll be in the time frame after the sequel trilogy and during Rey's Jedi Order! :tinfoil:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

AndyElusive posted:

AndyElusive posted:

The Vong in some way shape or form have to be the next big war. They're what Baylan Skoll is hinting at! He wants to unify the Star Wars galaxy against an outside enemy.

By the time they show up, it'll be in the time frame after the sequel trilogy and during Rey's Jedi Order! :tinfoil:
We're just going to get the Grysk instead

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
yeah the horrifying giger meat aliens are about the most anti-starwars thing that could possibly exist, visually. They're never returning to the canon in anything resembling their old form

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There might be bad guys called the yuuzhan vong with some attendant callbacks, but yeah it really won't be the same without all the graphic genocide, mutilation, torture, child death, etc

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Somehow all the makeup makes Mary Elizabeth Winstead look like Titus Welliver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

maybealabia posted:

Extra lightsabers for his impetuous Jedi commander and general

did Ahsoka lose her lightsaber as often as Anakin