Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Consolidated Ed posted:

SCOTUSishly: the founders didnt intend for *faaaarrrttttt* unions are now illegal, striking is illegal.

lol theyre already gonna make rent control illegal, cant believe we're not talking about that more. its the ultimate 6-3 gently caress you, and its coming soon.

i didnt hear about this one what case is it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

RandolphCarter posted:

from my friends in Hawaii

omg this owns

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

HallelujahLee posted:

i didnt hear about this one what case is it

pretty sure its this one

https://www.supremecourt.gov/docket/docketfiles/html/public/22-1095.html

(community housing improvement program v. city of new york)

next summer is gonna be very LOL some very rapid brain breaking will be happening

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

unity town hall cancelled after death threats?! more likely than you think

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Consolidated Ed posted:

pretty sure its this one

https://www.supremecourt.gov/docket/docketfiles/html/public/22-1095.html

(community housing improvement program v. city of new york)

next summer is gonna be very LOL some very rapid brain breaking will be happening

this one might be a 9-0 not even 6-3

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

anime was right posted:

gonna rule when the govt shutdown happens and 1 million people dont have paychecks when prices are at an all time high

this isn't 20th century europe, unrest is physically impossible. the cops here have tanks and air forces.

lol and lmao at all the non-americans who think we should be rioting (or will be soon). in america, protesting gets you felony criminal charges; in georgia, theyre charging the 'cop city' protestors with criminal racketeering (and terrorism or something or maybe thats the pipeline people). like, theyre literally using the same statute georgia passed to take down organized criminal groups/the mafia.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

There's plenty of fuel in America for riots, we just had the BLM riots a few years ago.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Cpt_Obvious posted:

There's plenty of fuel in America for riots, we just had the BLM riots a few years ago.

yeah and the lesson from that was twofold. one, the riots aren’t organized to topple power but two, they don’t have enough troops to garrison every city

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Business Gorillas posted:

Say what you want but shutting down the govt and having all their talking heads scream about Hunter getting pussy and how gay people should be illegal won't end well for them

who cares, they got scotus. biden's admin is a final shitlib spasm before the fash take over.

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

anonumos posted:

Lol, remote work is the only thing that has kept me from despair in the past 3 years.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
And that's because they have money right now to do so. What will they do when they have shut themselves off and all the tanks break down because they're garbage and also have been hawked off for some foreign boondoggle? If they don't have the money from abusing other nations than at the current state of American economic degeneration then it's not impossible the cops get lazy and decide letting a few protests go on will be a good way to signal to their bosses they're tired of scraps.

I dunno what the above means but what I'm trying to say is how do they plan to pay cops increasingly more to keep them loyal when they have increasingly less to offer?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

150,000 American workers are starting a nationwide strike in 5 hours. Hurr.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

that's on response to consolidated Ed btw. For clarity.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1702351142741541192?s=20

:lol:

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

In Training posted:

its beautiful, isnt it?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

"controversial price hike", goddamn they just can't help themselves can they.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
FYI the unity CEO is the guy responsible for some of the worst business trends in the games business and arguably the guy who put EA firmly onto the path to decline

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Lmao at the evening news featuring only the Ford ceo qqing about the strike while cutting the UAW president to look like a belligerent rear end in a top hat.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

They targeted gamers

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

In Training posted:

i know it owns

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Mustached Demon posted:

i know it owns

the means?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

BULBASAUR posted:

FYI the unity CEO is the guy responsible for some of the worst business trends in the games business and arguably the guy who put EA firmly onto the path to decline

he famously wanted Battlefield 3 to charge players every time they reloaded their gun

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

we'll get there, comrade

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Spaced God posted:

he famously wanted Battlefield 3 to charge players every time they reloaded their gun

Imagine if we added a credit card swipe to reload cop guns.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

gamers rise up

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

anime was right posted:

drat its almost like a larger percentage of productivity and the workforce needs to exist to support old people who arent working, especially without generational households and with higher costs of administration due to advancing medical care and also the sheer cost of medical care due to profit gouging all make it straight up harder to care for old people unless you, as a society, decide its actually a good thing to do.

"we don't give a gently caress about old people. or nonwhites. or children. or women. or gay and trans people. billionaires work hard and deserve it and did you see how big jeff bezos wifes rock is omg LOL!"

--americans, in a single unified voice

evidence: every california ballot initiative, the entire democrat apparatus, liberals and chuds hugging and kissing each other

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

I want you to imagine something.

You're apple. You built an iphone. The iphone contains metals that were mined somewhere. The mine generates co2 emissions with its heavy equipment. Transporting the minerals generated co2. Manufacturing the finished metal stampings generated co2. Transporting the finished metal stampings generated co2. If any of the energy inputs for any of this came from renewables, the renewable power generators themselves had to be mined, transported, manufactured, and transported again, in a fashion which has some carbon-intense inputs.

So some co2 was emitted to atmosphere during this process. For this to be "carbon neutral," the carbon emitted has to be "offset." That's what neutral means. You emitted some carbon over here, you... somehow made some carbon not get emitted over there, because actually removing the carbon you emitted yourself is not happening and obviously not emitting that carbon is a no go since you want to keep selling iphones which emit carbon.

The most common way to "offset" carbon is by planting trees. Trees slurp carbon out of the atmosphere so hey, if you protect or plant enough trees, that's offsetting your giant rear end coal plant or lithium mine or whatever.

Unfortunately:

1. Paying to protect existing trees is an accounting scam. Those trees aren't something you just made happen, they're just a way, on paper, to say you prevented x million tons of co2 from being emitted by paying a guy who theoretically was going to cut down his trees to not do that. But that guy is just collecting a pay check to do nothing, which means anyone who could theoretically chop down some trees can sell an offset to not do that (whether they actually would have or not) and a lot of those trees get sold as offsets multiple times using different offset schemes.
2. Paying to plant trees is an actuarial scam. Some trees don't live long enough to sequester co2 out of the atmosphere, so there is a formula that assumes trees will sequester carbon for, on average, something like 100 years and the offset bakes in an extra amount of trees to account for things like forest fires over that 100 years. All of this is highly optimistic math based on historical trends. Now look at, you know, Canada. Something like half of the buffer trees that were supposed to last for 100 years worth of future fires have already burned down in the last 5 years. RIP. And when those trees burn down, that is real co2 emitting to atmosphere. What happened to the offsets? Well they already got banked and counted toward Apple's carbon neutrality last year or the year before that or five years ago, and that carbon neutrality accounting is never undone even though the trees themselves quite literally were unmade. It's quite tidy. Plant a tree today, it counts toward you being carbon neutral. That tree burns down tomorrow, no harm no foul - it doesn't count against you.

Now replicate that by every other carbon offset like clean energy projects that never get built or would have gotten built anyway, "blue hydrogen" where carbon offsets literally go straight into the mouth of big oil, etc. It's scams all the way down, scams within scams.

Like the solutions to every other existential problem in our political economics, "carbon neutrality" is marketing and grifting wrapped around the problem getting worse faster.

:yeah:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
something oughta be done about all these internet death threats

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

bet the Russian wish they had a semi conductor wafer factory right now.

So they can ship them to Taiwan to be packaged?

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

RealityWarCriminal posted:

something oughta be done about all these internet death threats

Oh don’t worry, internet anonymity will be removed and then metadata will be my h easier to harvest…. I mean, we’ll be safe!

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Nope, your options are a $80K Tesla or a $90K Ford F-150 Lightning. Sorry.

anything else would be a national security risk

*turns on autopilot, runs over fireman while driving to kombucha bar*

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My house came with a dumbass towel warmer. It has been randomly turning on and off for no reason I can see. Checked the manual and the manufacturers cheaped out and used a programmable light switch that defaults to Random mode so your house looks lived in while you're away. That's enshittification, baby!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Consolidated Ed posted:

SCOTUSishly: the founders didnt intend for *faaaarrrttttt* unions are now illegal, striking is illegal.

lol theyre already gonna make rent control illegal, cant believe we're not talking about that more. its the ultimate 6-3 gently caress you, and its coming soon.
if the government cannot constitutionally control the maximum price of rents, how can they constitutionally control the minimum price of wages?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

comedyblissoption posted:

if the government cannot constitutionally control the maximum price of rents, how can they constitutionally control the minimum price of wages?

what do you think comes after rent control is abolished? lmao

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Woke Mind Virus posted:

So they can ship them to Taiwan to be packaged?

Gotem

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

comedyblissoption posted:

God I can't wait for the crocodile tears

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

ArmZ posted:

7.25 is cheap enough none of the usual ghouls are willing to pay to take it to scotus. minimum wage will exist until it gets raised, then they'll decide it's worth funding a phantom docket case to get it nuked.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The fine for violating min wage is probably the same as child labor. They'll pay 250 dollars and a Mcgriddle per year of violation

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ArmZ posted:

The next big thing is getting rid of administrative rulemaking so none of the rules made by e.g. the DOL or EPA beyond the incredibly narrow range of what was actually included in legislation passed by Congress can be enforced.

They could smash almost the entirety of the regulatory state at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

no no they are going to use the minimum wage to remove all labor laws.