Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Golem, Milotic off the top of my head. I've been able to get all off them in Tera Raids so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Decided I would use some of the new and reintroduced pokemon to go through the DLC. Started a party with Sandslash, Ninetails, Arbok, Sinistcha and a shiny Quagsire but now Im stuck on what to use for the 6th. I want something underrated or something a lot of people wouldnt use.

Im thinking one of Noctowl, Mandibuzz, or Leavanny.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Decided I would use some of the new and reintroduced pokemon to go through the DLC. Started a party with Sandslash, Ninetails, Arbok, Sinistcha and a shiny Quagsire but now Im stuck on what to use for the 6th. I want something underrated or something a lot of people wouldnt use.

I used an ability patch on a ninetails to have drought and ran a chlorophyll Leavanny. Ended up being a pretty good combo

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Mandibuzz is really awesome in my opinion, though I only know from VGC.

Tailwind, Foul Play, Roost, Brave Bird.

It probably isn't great in single player but she was a star on my SWSH sand team.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Mandibuzz is great

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

I would go for the Kommo-o line as Dragon-Fighting is a fun typing

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

you have a bunch of guys who only evolve once so either grab someone who evolves twice or someone who doesn’t evolve at all (I liked taking Heatmor through Alola last year. who the gently caress has ever thought about Heatmor for more than five minutes? ME!!!!)

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Is Aloan Muk back? I am at work and I cannot check :smith:.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Mesadoram posted:

grimer's in the base game so yes, if you breed an alolan one with an everstone

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

This is also kinda of funny. I guess overworld effects override abilities now?

I haven't played the storyline parts in a while.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mesadoram posted:

I want Faticate to come back so bad. :(

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Treecko posted:

This is also kinda of funny. I guess overworld effects override abilities now?

I haven't played the storyline parts in a while.

Yeah that was on the base game as well. It's hilarious against Mela because her region has a loot of rain and it denies her Drought.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

M.Matsuda posted:

grimer's in the base game so yes, if you breed an alolan one with an everstone

Hurray!

Furnaceface posted:

I want Faticate to come back so bad. :(

Alolan Muk, Faricate and Alolan Marrowak were all spectacular in their own way :unsmith:. More I think about Sun and Moon the more I realize how much I really loved that game.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

It's just amusing to me. Fandom constantly says they want rear end in a top hat rivals, and they give us rear end in a top hat rivals in the form of Avery, Clara, Bede, and Carmine, and the response is overwhelmingly "not like that"

I liked all of these guys except Bede just fine honestly. As I mentioned before my Kieran bias comes from the fact I've had several relationships that crashed and burned that he reminds me of: Somebody who's an emotional trainwreck, gloms onto you for stability and reassurance and then starts resenting the fact you have your poo poo together. Like even in game I was kinda hesitant with him about even battling because he growing increasingly unhinged about it. And then he got mad at me when he forced me to go through with it and I still won. It's really unpleasant even in comparison to your average rear end in a top hat rival. I'm not nutty about Carmine's bullying and superiority complex either but at least it seems like she's slowly getting her poo poo together.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flopsy posted:

I liked all of these guys except Bede just fine honestly. As I mentioned before my Kieran bias comes from the fact I've had several relationships that crashed and burned that he reminds me of: Somebody who's an emotional trainwreck, gloms onto you for stability and reassurance and then starts resenting the fact you have your poo poo together. Like even in game I was kinda hesitant with him about even battling because he growing increasingly unhinged about it. And then he got mad at me when he forced me to go through with it and I still won. It's really unpleasant even in comparison to your average rear end in a top hat rival. I'm not nutty about Carmine's bullying and superiority complex either but at least it seems like she's slowly getting her poo poo together.

Yeah, by the end of the story Kieran and Carmine have basically swapped roles in terms of likability (and based on the final scene it seems we’re not done with them yet)

Hell, one of the reasons I like Nemona so much is that while she’s a battle maniac she’s also just as happy when she loses to an opponent as she is when she wins (if not more so)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 14, 2023

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Treecko posted:

Blue was tough, and kind of a dick, but he's grown up and past that now. Homie bootstraped himself to the top and failed anyway.

Bede was a buttmunch trying to prove he didn't need anyone and got put in his place by a weird old granny and appreciated it.

That's my takeaway at least.

I need to trade this Gurdurr. Is it the only trade evo? I'm filling out the dex.

I found a Dusclops myself, but no Reaper Cloth yet.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I’m just saying The rear end in a top hat Rival thing is another case of this fandom not knowing what it wants. They say they want the rear end in a top hat rival back but what they really want is just original Blue and Silver - both of whom who were, until later installments and remakes, just assholes who oppose you who don’t present any characterization or challenges that might have deeper reasons or make the player uncomfortable.

I’m not saying the Pokemon games are stellar writing, but Kieran and Carmine have more fleshed out reasons for their being hostile/challenges to the player, and yet they just get reduced to “rude children.”

Blue became interesting when he became a friendly rival with an ego and team mom tendencies. Silver became interesting when there was greater focus on his past as Giovanni’s son and his struggles with understanding bonds with his Pokemon. PokeMas and HGSS were great for Silver, and Let’s Go made Blue go from Saved By The Bell bully to a hilarious team mom.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 14, 2023

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Hunter Noventa posted:

I found a Dusclops myself, but no Reaper Cloth yet.

Got a reaper cloth, you wanna do some trade shenanigans?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Important DLC question: What ball is is coolest and best to catch The BLOODMOON BEAR :black101:
(Perrin side quest spoiler)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

cptn_dr posted:

Important DLC question: What ball is is coolest and best to catch The BLOODMOON BEAR :black101:
(Perrin side quest spoiler)
either the dream ball or the moon ball, clearly

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Nodosaur posted:

I’m just saying The rear end in a top hat Rival thing is another case of this fandom not knowing what it wants. They say they want the rear end in a top hat rival back but what they really want is just original Blue and Silver - both of whom who were, until later installments and remakes, just assholes who oppose you who don’t present any characterization or challenges that might have deeper reasons or make the player uncomfortable.

I’m not saying the Pokemon games are stellar writing, but Kieran and Carmine have more fleshed out reasons for their being hostile/challenges to the player, and yet they just get reduced to “rude children.”

Blue became interesting when he became a friendly rival with an ego and team mom tendencies. Silver became interesting when there was greater focus on his past as Giovanni’s son and his struggles with understanding bonds with his Pokemon. PokeMas and HGSS were great for Silver, and Let’s Go made Blue go from Saved By The Bell bully to a hilarious team mom.

I've also never understood the fixation on Blue or Silver either. As you said, Blue got interesting when he was fleshed out in later games and other media. Silver was always a terrible rival since his story arc is kind of just resolves itself after repeated defeats by your hand.

I understand taking a smug rear end in a top hat down a peg, but for them to continue being assholes even after defeat always struck me as stupid. Later characters would get more nuance and depth, but I guess the fixation on Gen 1 and especially Gen 2 would make people not appreciate stuff that came after.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Would anyone mind trading me a Korraidon and Iron Leaves back and forth? I just need them for my Home ‘dex.

Also need regular Zarude and Rapid Strike Urshifu. Same deal! :shobon:

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Corzaa posted:

Oh nice, my Skeledirge can relearn Yawn now.

Also Umbreon can be a lil Toxic again, as a treat :kimchi:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Zuzie posted:

I've also never understood the fixation on Blue or Silver either. As you said, Blue got interesting when he was fleshed out in later games and other media. Silver was always a terrible rival since his story arc is kind of just resolves itself after repeated defeats by your hand.

I understand taking a smug rear end in a top hat down a peg, but for them to continue being assholes even after defeat always struck me as stupid. Later characters would get more nuance and depth, but I guess the fixation on Gen 1 and especially Gen 2 would make people not appreciate stuff that came after.

It’s also like. People say “I want an rear end in a top hat so I can be motivated to defeat them.” But that falls apart when you’re defeating them in battle. Someone earlier said “Blue always undercut you” but he really doesn’t. Red and Blue is an exercise in defanging a childish bully over and over.

Yeah, it gets kinda pathetic for Hop and Hau when they lose to you repeatedly. But that’s kind of part of their entire character arcs, Hop especially.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
my opinion of carmine is that shes good and cool and she's probably much more likeable if, like me, you also grew up with a mean older sibling; and my opinion of kieran is that he's kind of lame in an unfortunately extremely relateable way. i remember being a weird lame 10 year old, it sucked!!

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I liked Hop. He needed someone on his level so he wasn't always in his brothers shadow. He never took defeat personally.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Did this update optimize the gameplay or menu lag at all? I saw mention of a change to Pokemon box animations or something so I was hopeful.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Treecko posted:

I liked Hop. He needed someone on his level so he wasn't always in his brothers shadow. He never took defeat personally.

Except when he did which was his entire arc for the first part of the game (Which took place over 1 hour with a total of 2 of the 30 battles with him featured within it)

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
But he was always there with a smile on his face at the end.

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained

humpthewind posted:

Did this update optimize the gameplay or menu lag at all? I saw mention of a change to Pokemon box animations or something so I was hopeful.

Unfortunately I've been experiencing more lag everywhere except the pokemon box animations. It's especially bad when you try to go to any of the clothing stores, I thought the game actually froze when I tried.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like that Hau's arc involved learning to take defeat a little personally

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Him deciding to take poo poo seriously and become the Champion was one of the better parts of USUM

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

tbf he took things seriously in SM as well he just showed up before E4 instead of after

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

tbf he took things seriously in SM as well he just showed up before E4 instead of after

I know, I’m just saying I enjoyed how USUM took it further

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Pokémon games need a rival whose first few battles are unwinnable. Just take away the 'lose your money' penalty and have the rival absolutely curbstomp you with a team 20 levels higher than yours, doing a two-on-one, spamming Full Restore, the whole nine yards. By the end of the game, you can be equally leveled with them and finally beat them, bing bong, great douchebag rival. And it might make children upset that they got rolled so badly, so it's a win-win.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

:confused: people say they want an rear end in a top hat rival, but what they really want is an rear end in a top hat rival? What?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Procrastine posted:

:confused: people say they want an rear end in a top hat rival, but what they really want is an rear end in a top hat rival? What?

I’m saying they want rear end in a top hat rivals, but reject the rear end in a top hat rivals they’ve been given recently because they have more complexity and depth than two characters whose original depictions were Cartoon Bully and Kid Who Scowls A Lot

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I mean you can say it's bad taste but it's not contradictory, if an rear end in a top hat has too good of a motivation or tragic past they stop being a true rear end in a top hat. They're a Sasuke at that point.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

mycot posted:

I mean you can say it's bad taste but it's not contradictory, if an rear end in a top hat has too good of a motivation or tragic past they stop being a true rear end in a top hat. They're a Sasuke at that point.

People typically have reasons and motivations for how they act. Just being a jerk for being a jerk’s sake doesn’t really work anymore unless you play it for laughs like they did with Klara and Avery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I will take no questions.