Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

ShinAli posted:

They've used master/slave terminology for some system, and resisted people pushing for it to change for awhile until they relented. They had a lot of comments like "this is just US political correctness culture" with their push back. Those kinds of responses really turn me off, even for a relatively minor thing.
I remember when that happened and it really didn't last very long.

quote:

At the very least I don't really trust their engineering chops.
It's a mixed bag. More attentive to areas that have long been blind spots for OSS engines (UI, audio...), and has a lot of awesome features, but also perpetually behind the curve in others.

bbcisdabomb posted:

I'm trying to think of a game built on an actually dead engine and I'm coming up blank. Hedon was done on a customized version of GZDoom, itself still being actively updated with new features, and Ion Fury was on EDuke32 which might count but isn't just stock-rear end Build. Even Wrath: Aeons of Ruin is built off the Darkplaces stock instead of raw Quake.
The most recent thing I can think of that's running an extremely old stock-version engine is actually Black Mesa.

Most of those engines have major problems even getting them to run or run properly. Build and Doom would need to run in DosBox, Unreal 1 has a problem that requires messing with core affinity, GLQuake literally can't run without a driver hack, etc.

Even with the modern enhanced versions, they're still taking on almost all of the workflow problems of the stock engines. There really is very little reason to be using them except as a flex/gimmick.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I really hope they get crushed into the dirt with some combination of lawsuits EU regulations and at least one attempt at murder from an unstable gamer. If this delays silksong for even a second I'll lose my god drat mind.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

you got your wish

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

OneEightHundred posted:

Even with the modern enhanced versions, they're still taking on almost all of the workflow problems of the stock engines.

not to mention that anything GPL licensed can't be shipped on consoles so those games using vintage id engines are pretty much stuck on PC

wrath aeon of ruin is allegedly coming to consoles but it's not clear how they're going to pull that off legally

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 14, 2023

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

repiv posted:

wrath aeon of ruin is allegedly coming to consoles but it's not clear how they're going to pull that off legally
The rumor that was going around when it was announced was that they had loose, cavalier plans along the lines of "ahh, we'll just rebuild the thing in unity when we're done with the darkplaces version, she'll be right"

That was before years of development hell and a good chunk of the team leaving and moving on, of course. Who knows what their plans are now, or if they even still have plans.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

The Kins posted:

The rumor that was going around when it was announced was that they had loose, cavalier plans along the lines of "ahh, we'll just rebuild the thing in unity when we're done with the darkplaces version, she'll be right"

That was before years of development hell and a good chunk of the team leaving and moving on, of course. Who knows what their plans are now, or if they even still have plans.
TBF as much as "we'll just switch engines, it'll be easy!" is a meme, the workflow is so bad that it might actually be a good idea just this one time.

Last time I looked at that project they were having a problem due to a map compiler bug, and there are like 5 people on the planet who understand how q3map2 works under the hood.

edit: That whole project is really a recipe for development hell. Like if you had to pick one of the old Quake engines to build a game on, the first one is by far the worst, DarkPlaces intentionally maintained a lot of that, and under the hood it is both complicated and inflexible.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 14, 2023

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I realize the only company I'd actually trust to purchase and run the Unity engine without gouging would be Valve. I also realize I don't trust them to build a Unity-like engine themselves, and I don't really know if I trust them to keep a reasonable update cadence.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 14, 2023

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I'd put money on that death threat being "real" in that someone, somewhere, made a death threat against Riccitiello or whomever, but probably not particularly credible -- Unite is coming up soon and it's all but guaranteed to be a shitfest and a full 24hr period of nonstop awful press. But it's also in November so there is no way they can cancel it.

this popped up on the unite page very recently:

my admittedly conspiratorial guess is that Unity leadership made the decision to take a (probably) real but (probably) non-credible threat some disgruntled weirdo made and are trying to use it to back out of Unite to try to save face with investors and possibly even try to recoup some of their expenses via insurance. Or, at least, use it to limit some or all of Unite to a virtual-only thing they can strongly moderate.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/_JavierBusto/status/1702340717732078038

ostensibly the order of operations was not "Unity cried wolf" as much as it was "Law enforcement said watch out" so I think we can put the conspiracy theories to rest

Semisomnum
Aug 22, 2006

Half Asleep

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

https://twitter.com/_JavierBusto/status/1702340717732078038

ostensibly the order of operations was not "Unity cried wolf" as much as it was "Law enforcement said watch out" so I think we can put the conspiracy theories to rest

No now we just need to dig in deeper. Unity execs have agents embedded in law enforcement! Who knows how far it goes?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Busto's is now the only thing I've seen on the matter beyond articles in eg. Bloomberg. Putting aside my feelings about what the path from "law enforcement notified someone of something" to "what Unity is telling its employees and the press" might look like, regardless of the details, it might represent a huge coup for the Unity C-suite and is at any rate another instance of them putting their potential earnings before the (literal physical) well-being of their employees. Cancelling the townhall was a win for Riccitiello and if they cancel or lock down this year's Unite it'll be another big one.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This ought to be a wake up call to go investigate the CEO of your top ten vendors and see what kind of land mines are out there for the other products you depend on

In retrospect, disgraced ex EA CEO John Ritticello should be an obvious "duh" moment in this Unity gently caress tornado, but you don't get a pass on other products when they pull stupid bullshit now, you've been warned

On the plus side John Ritticello is basically unemployable now. Maybe he'll go into politics next

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hadlock posted:

On the plus side John Ritticello is basically unemployable now. Maybe he'll go into politics next

Lol no he'll immediately walk into another big money executive role because these people will never suffer consequences.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hadlock posted:

This ought to be a wake up call to go investigate the CEO of your top ten vendors and see what kind of land mines are out there for the other products you depend on

In retrospect, disgraced ex EA CEO John Ritticello should be an obvious "duh" moment in this Unity gently caress tornado, but you don't get a pass on other products when they pull stupid bullshit now, you've been warned

Hahahaha you have no idea how executive positions work do you

This won’t affect him at all

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Hadlock posted:

He's taken a fledgling tech company to a successful IPO and managed one of the largest entertainment companies during breakout years for a number of franchises.

He'll probably get an SVP job at Disney or just leech onto the boards of a bunch of places.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

He oversaw* battlefield 3 reboot which was a massive success (at the cost of grinding the EA/DICE dev team into paste) and saw it become a direct competitor in the eyes of the media to modern warfare/call of duty he's a wild success by that metric.

You can ensure stuff like this doesn't happen again by making sure you tie John Ritticello's name to the huge unity gently caress up at every opportunity so that he's radioactive and his peers know it because that's what shows up when you Google his name

*in reality he just happened to luck out and be CEO when the frostbite engine fully matured and EA owned dice, but also dice didn't get shut down so he can claim credit

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hadlock posted:

He oversaw* battlefield 3 reboot which was a massive success (at the cost of grinding the EA/DICE dev team into paste) and saw it become a direct competitor in the eyes of the media to modern warfare/call of duty he's a wild success by that metric.

You can ensure stuff like this doesn't happen again by making sure you tie John Ritticello's name to the huge unity gently caress up at every opportunity so that he's radioactive and his peers know it because that's what shows up when you Google his name

*in reality he just happened to luck out and be CEO when the frostbite engine fully matured and EA owned dice, but also dice didn't get shut down so he can claim credit

it's not going to affect him at all.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Hadlock posted:

Take a look at the people running Activision and let me know what you think

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Nybble posted:

End caps guy drove a lot of business ok? Nintendo had the bigfoot pizza guy for a while and everyone liked him.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think you underestimate the impact seeing their name in lights next to "miserable failure" in print

sebmojo posted:

it's not going to affect him at all.

Not with that attitude

Nybble posted:

They're still there because they didn't quietly resign under suspicious circumstances

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Hadlock posted:

sweet summer child

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Not with that attitude

This isn’t a democracy. The only people who’s opinions on his actions matter live in a bubble completely detached from reality.

This won’t affect him at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hadlock posted:

I think you underestimate the impact seeing their name in lights next to "miserable failure" in print
go look up how the guy who handled the xbox one launch is doing right now

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Even with bad press you can only fail upward at a certain point. You see takes like those of Wells Fargo that he’s really doing the right thing. He can spin whatever bullshit he wants about “it’s the right thing for the company and profits and a sustainable future” and his next board of directors will eat that poo poo up.

Getting convicted of a really heinous crime is the only way to knockout an exec and even that doesn’t matter in lots of sectors. Some companies will just see that as getting a deal on damaged but serviceable goods.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Bad news for Games Industry thread posters who head studios - Sources indicate that as many as ten of your top ten vendors' CEOs may be CEOs

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I refuse to engage in crab pot mentality, sorry

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I was looking at Unity's FAQ about this mess https://unity.com/pricing-updates

quote:

How is Unity collecting the number of installs?
We leverage our own proprietary data model and will provide estimates of the number of times the runtime is distributed for a given project – this estimate will cover an invoice for all platforms.
I have to admire the balls of sticking to the "We're just pull some numbers out of our rear end and charge you for that made-up number" thing.

But this entry caught my eye

quote:

Who is charged the Unity Runtime Fee?
The Unity Runtime Fee will be charged to the entity that distributes the runtime.
They're not going after devs, but after the storefronts. So Valve, Apple, Sony, Microsoft, etc. :psyduck: Good luck trying to shake down the companies who have the means to slap you around in courts until the end of days.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Crab pot mentality is about people pulling their own peers down to keep them from having better things. This is in fact the opposite, because corporate board idiots like this guy tend to get supported by their buddies into avoiding consequences. It'd be nice if he gets pulled down but he's incredibly insulated from bad things ever happening. Even getting fired tends to come with golden parachutes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hadlock posted:

I wish I had your innocence :)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's a pretty dry take on it, sure

Crab pot mentality is about being so self absorbed with what's going on at your level that you think you have zero impact on the world around you (or outside the pot) and only focus on your peers instead

loving take the guy down, drag his name through the mud. Or poke fun at me instead for suggesting it, I guess :shrug:

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Atoramos posted:

I realize the only company I'd actually trust to purchase and run the Unity engine without gouging would be Valve. I also realize I don't trust them to build a Unity-like engine themselves, and I don't really know if I trust them to keep a reasonable update cadence.

funny enough i feel like i remember valve drumming up attention for a public source 2 release, and it would have crazy good tools and vr stuff and... i'm not crazy right? what happened to this?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thats not what crab pot mentality means

like not even remotely

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Endorph posted:

go look up how the guy who handled the xbox one launch is doing right now

He's now the CEO of a financial services company in case anyone was wondering. Nearly destroying the Xbox brand hasn't stopped him making stupid amounts of money.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

cumpantry posted:

funny enough i feel like i remember valve drumming up attention for a public source 2 release, and it would have crazy good tools and vr stuff and... i'm not crazy right? what happened to this?

source has the exact functionality that valve needs to make their current game and basically nothing else beyond that, there isn't really a good reason for other studios to deal with those limitations now that unity and unreal are affordable

for example, source 2 does not support consoles, at all, because valve hasn't needed that

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hadlock posted:

You should probably start by knowing what words mean, because that’s not crab pot mentality

I’m sorry that the realities of how executives work gets you down but they are precisely that: realities

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Funnily enough trying to demand the rest of the thread posts as bad as you actually is crab pot mentality.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
we have confirmation from unity that they're explicitly doing this to kill competitors in the mobile ad space and the impact of this move on other platforms was either never considered and/or completely ignored: https://mobilegamer.biz/unity-is-offering-a-runtime-fee-waiver-if-you-switch-to-levelplay-as-it-tries-to-kill-applovin/

tl;dr: if you switch to Unity's ad system instead of using a third party they waive the fees associated with this clusterfuck

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The point of the crab bucket analogy is that it's an underprivileged group that resents successful members, I can kind of see what you're getting at because the crabs blame each other instead of the real bad guy, but it is universally agreed that the CEO is the bad guy in this situation. Doomerism is the word you're looking for.

mycot fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 15, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

President Ark posted:

we have confirmation from unity that they're explicitly doing this to kill competitors in the mobile ad space and the impact of this move on other platforms was either never considered and/or completely ignored: https://mobilegamer.biz/unity-is-offering-a-runtime-fee-waiver-if-you-switch-to-levelplay-as-it-tries-to-kill-applovin/

tl;dr: if you switch to Unity's ad system instead of using a third party they waive the fees associated with this clusterfuck
Yeah it all makes sense now. Before I couldn't understand the chain of fuckups that caused this scheme to happen but this makes it fit.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

mycot posted:

The point of the crab bucket analogy is that it's an underprivileged group that resents successful members, I can kind of see what you're getting at because the crabs blame each other instead of the real bad guy, but it is universally agreed that the CEO is the bad guy in this situation. Doomerism is the word you're looking for.

And even then, doomerism is associated with “bad things happen therefore I will make up incredibly fantastical bad things that will also happen” not hey here’s a bunch of CEOs exactly like this guy who got away scott free, why would anyone expect any different here?

If extrapolating from actual evidence is enough to be doomerism for this guy, he needs to make his own good vibes only fairy tale reality thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Endorph posted:

thats not what crab pot mentality means

like not even remotely

i'm so close to visualizing a world state where a CEO experiences negative consequences for their actions but all these naysayers in the game industry thread are actively preventing my envisioned wave form from collapsing into a tangible reality