Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
So I got CULTIC a while back and as much as I want to like it, I find the combat rather confusing in terms of how the game intends you to approach it, like it's going for equal parts survival horror and action movie combat, which feels incredibly awkward to me. I wonder what's the best way to mess with stuff like the custom difficulty settings to make it more straight-forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Worked my way through AMID EVIL: The Black Labyrinth and it was great fun, until the final boss ganked me right after I killed it and got the achievement. Still a lot of fun though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Doctor Bishop posted:

So I got CULTIC a while back and as much as I want to like it, I find the combat rather confusing in terms of how the game intends you to approach it, like it's going for equal parts survival horror and action movie combat, which feels incredibly awkward to me. I wonder what's the best way to mess with stuff like the custom difficulty settings to make it more straight-forward.

Each weapon has a really good niche, but go for headshots and don't be afraid to go nuts with dynamite. Quick toss and quick kick are your friends.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Doctor Bishop posted:

Headshots and explosives/fire are the key to Cultic combat, you might be really squishy but you can output absurd amounts of damage with a little practice, also you have surprisingly good mobility so use that to minimize the amount of hits you take

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Doctor Bishop posted:

You're not really modern Doom Guy in Cultic; it's supposed to be more scrappy. Think Resident Evil 4. You're vulnerable but you have lot of tools and options.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Playing through Doom 64 for the first time and I just wanted to say: The yellow key puzzle in Final Outpost (map08) is bulllllllshit. That is something I would never figure out on my own in a million years.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Thinking about it, I can better see why Cultic's "normal" is clearly easy but renamed now.

They really want you to practice and get into the vibe of the game before taking on its proper challenge.

And here my hubris led me to think it would be enough like Blood to play fast and loose when Cultic isn't nearly as forgiving with resources like ammo.

Didn't have that much problem with health on hard but ammo is so fricking tight.

So I wound up taking every encounter as strategically as possible just to preserve ammo, despite the trailer making it clear that you're supposed to be able to jump around like a madman Caleb-style, and after a few levels it started to feel really tedious and I lost interest.

I guess this is a case like Ultrakill where they expect you be good at being both fast and precise at the same time to get the most out of the game, which I'm really not.

I can generally only do one or the other at a time.

Joe Chill posted:

Playing through Doom 64 for the first time and I just wanted to say: The yellow key puzzle in Final Outpost (map08) is bulllllllshit. That is something I would never figure out on my own in a million years.

"Buy the strategy guide today!" :retrogames:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm extremely loving bad at these games and I still didn't have too much trouble on hard. Once you get an appreciation for the encounters and how to approach them out becomes easier. Also always be looking for every secret. They're not too hard to find and all but 1 are extremely valuable.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm extremely loving bad at these games and I still didn't have too much trouble on hard.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Cultic is a perfect little angel of a game and hard is the perfect difficulty setting. If you're really having a hard time just upgrade the shotgun and use it as your workhorse weapon, you should almost never run out of ammo for it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jfc, Half Life 2 is perfect on the Deck. I mean, it's no surprise, but.... still.... :kiss:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Jfc, Half Life 2 is perfect

:hai:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the Steam 20 year sale is on now
https://store.steampowered.com/sale/steam20
i remember first installing steam and crying because hl2 wouldn't work properly until i downloaded a 500mb patch over my 56k internet lmfao

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Oh yeah, I remember playing HL2 while the sun was going up and whatnot. 2004 was some good times. Anchorman, Lost, Electric Six, you name it. I finished an HL2 replay earlier this year, and it'll always be one of my favs. But, like we sometimes mention, how games age is very unique, and subjective, and HL2 in particular we've discussed a lot on here. But it'll always hold a special place in my heart. Also, Half-Life 3 please.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

When I think of gaming in 2004, I think of when I bought my first computer, just for myself, so I didn't have to share the family one (old enough to have "buy a PC" money, young enough to still live at home).

The three games that stick out at me when I first got that beast are UT2K4, Deus Ex, and one of the Ghost Recons. I didn't play it much, other than with a bunch of people at work who'd stay up until 4am going at each other online.

About a year or so later, it was my Civ 4 machine.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i like cultic a little more on the highest difficulty because hard is great when you're playing it like Blood, but as you get more of a hang of Cultic's unique quirks and the sort of tricks you can pull, hard becomes a lot easier.

i guess im just describing getting better at a game, but I mean more stuff like because its a more modern game where you can shoot through tiny cracks, and has headshots, you can snip off enemy heads really far away where they just barely peek over walls and stuff. whereas in blood or doom those shots might either be blocked by invisible walls, or just be effectively the same as a bodyshot and so be harder to take out a lot of dudes in quick succession.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hard is best because you can play it like a lunatic like you see in the trailer and it's still doable. You try that poo poo on hardest difficulty, you'll die.

I wonder if that guy ever got below 8 minute speedrun or if it's even possible

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The best Cultic speed run I’ve seen is like 13 min

Relies heavily on jump kicks. So the guy is just can-canning everywhere

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
CULTIC is my game of the years 2022 and 2023. I really hope the unity situation doesn't derail progress on part 2

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

skasion posted:

The best Cultic speed run I’ve seen is like 13 min

Relies heavily on jump kicks. So the guy is just can-canning everywhere

They're under 9 now lol. Most of it's at the abbey

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The abbey fight is going to be interesting with speedrunning because there isn't a way to shorten it too much, you've got to kill a bunch of people in timed waves and then that tank. Can throw a wrench in any strat.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The tank isn't the problem you just gotta toss a bunch of dynamite in at the start and pop it with the grenade launcher. The waves though are like xish minutes you aren't able to circumvent. I do like you've got to be good at killing though to speed it up

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The big tank fight in CULTIC was the only bit that really gave me trouble at launch on the hardest difficulty. I think they added a checkpoint and maybe some nerfs at some point since then, but at launch you had to do the entire fight from the start if you died, which sucked. You can take a big chunk out of the tank by spamming a shitload of dynamite into its area before it appears and setting it all off at once.

Volte fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 15, 2023

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Heavy Metal posted:

Oh yeah, I remember playing HL2 while the sun was going up and whatnot. 2004 was some good times. Anchorman, Lost, Electric Six, you name it. I finished an HL2 replay earlier this year, and it'll always be one of my favs. But, like we sometimes mention, how games age is very unique, and subjective, and HL2 in particular we've discussed a lot on here. But it'll always hold a special place in my heart. Also, Half-Life 3 please.

I remember HL2 being like 5 discs to install, it barely fit on my HDD and it ran like poo poo at lowest settings too.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

HolyKrap posted:

I remember HL2 being like 5 discs to install, it barely fit on my HDD and it ran like poo poo at lowest settings too.

HL2 and Doom 3 ran like poo poo on my PC at the time, but man were they fun to play!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Volte posted:

The big tank fight in CULTIC was the only bit that really gave me trouble at launch on the hardest difficulty. I think they added a checkpoint and maybe some nerfs at some point since then, but at launch you had to do the entire fight from the start if you died, which sucked. You can take a big chunk out of the tank by spamming a shitload of dynamite into its area before it appears and setting it all off at once.

For sure, I felt like it was overall a great challenge on the hardest difficulty and it remains one of my favorite games in recent memory.

In contrast, I’ve got to get back into Turbo Overkill, but I know I’ve already mentioned that I jumped in blind on the highest difficulty and learned just how goofy-hard that was :rip:

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

BisterdDave posted:

HL2 and Doom 3 ran like poo poo on my PC at the time, but man were they fun to play!

I enjoyed the hell out of it, except for the loading times. To this day I still hate the entire water hazard chapter, the pacing felt so bad when the load screens took 1-2 minutes.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

HolyKrap posted:

I enjoyed the hell out of it, except for the loading times. To this day I still hate the entire water hazard chapter, the pacing felt so bad when the load screens took 1-2 minutes.

And unfortunately that's the level I instantly think of anytime HL2 is mentioned. I really should pick it up on sale and play through it again though.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

So I'm unclear on whether Cultic has any sort of adaptive mechanics that change how things progress based on how you play it (e.g. different ammo drops for using different weapons) or if it's just static/set and I'm misunderstanding the advice.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't think there's anything adaptive, ammo/health drops are as far as I can tell random. What was the advice that's confusing you?

edit if it was the thing about the shotgun, it just deals insane damage once you upgrade it and ammo is plentiful.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Man, the rogue mode in Severed Steel is awesome. It's like a kaizo FEAR with wallrunning and you unlock mutators after each level. One of those is that the doors explode when kicked so your slowmo meter recharges immediately when the enemies try to rush the room you're in.

I really really hope that Nightdive have plans for a FEAR remaster.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

I really really hope that Nightdive have plans for a FEAR remaster.

It really doesn't need that much work to be honest, with some tweaks the PC version looks amazing these days. Only problem I have with it (outside of the repetitive environments) is the decal and object culling after a while, which means you can't backtrack Hotline Miami-style through all the carnage. I actually found a mod that keeps all that around, but it messes up the weapon switching for some reason and I don't know enough about FEAR to fix it :(

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

HolyKrap posted:

Reminder! Half-Life 2 was crammed into an original Xbox disc, and it turned out pretty well!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Grimthwacker posted:

Reminder! Half-Life 2 was crammed into an original Xbox disc, and it turned out pretty well!

I still think Doom 3 may hold the record, with specific ports to the original Xbox, the Xbox 360, the Xbox One. I can't think of many games that got that many distinct ports, I guess GTA5 is up there now with distinct PS3, 4, and 5 versions.

It's wild that GTA5 is over 100GB now when it shipped on 2 DVDs originally.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Uh Resi 4 has like a million ports lol

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't think there's anything adaptive, ammo/health drops are as far as I can tell random. What was the advice that's confusing you?

edit if it was the thing about the shotgun, it just deals insane damage once you upgrade it and ammo is plentiful.

So the impression I get overall is: get better at making headshots on the move and focus on one weapon at a time when upgrading (starting with the shotgun). Seems to be working well so far, so thanks.

I guess I underestimated the shotgun's usefulness due to it starting at "modern shotgun lol" levels of accuracy before upgrades, but now I realize even then it's a solid way of doing away with baddies if you play it smart.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This looks kind of a mess but also pretty fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAf2P7G7pu0

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Doctor Bishop posted:

So the impression I get overall is: get better at making headshots on the move and focus on one weapon at a time when upgrading (starting with the shotgun). Seems to be working well so far, so thanks.

I guess I underestimated the shotgun's usefulness due to it starting at "modern shotgun lol" levels of accuracy before upgrades, but now I realize even then it's a solid way of doing away with baddies if you play it smart.

I got real good at double-tapping headshots with the pistol after I got the accuracy upgrade. I think I used the pistol more than the shotgun.

The only weapon I didn't use much was the sten, mainly because I kept forgetting I had it.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I liked / like Water Hazard :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

I liked / like Water Hazard :)

It's a wonderful level.