Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Anybody got the skinny on Sword and Shield in GU? I fell in love with it while playing Rise and i'm gonna go back to GU for a bit to get my old school Mon Hun fix and GU was already alot even back when i played it as just a Hammer main and now i have a whole new weapon i need to relearn and try out so many different styles for! Anybody got the short version of what does what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

The Shame Boy posted:

Anybody got the skinny on Sword and Shield in GU? I fell in love with it while playing Rise and i'm gonna go back to GU for a bit to get my old school Mon Hun fix and GU was already alot even back when i played it as just a Hammer main and now i have a whole new weapon i need to relearn and try out so many different styles for! Anybody got the short version of what does what?

Chaos oil is the light, the truth, and the way.

Use oils--affinity oil adds free affinity, mind's eye oil gives you free mind's eye, destroyer is trip/part break city. If you use stamina oil and attack the head,you can get a KO.

All oils can be applied at once with chaos oil,and then you can select another oil and apply it in one stroke to boost the effects. It owns.

Striker style is generally favoured because sns has good skills. I personally liked the spinny round slash one (it has invinciblity frames), chaos oil, and absolute evasion/readiness (also invincible).

Striker loses the backhop, but you keep the rest of the toolkit.

R+item button will let you use all items with your weapon out--it shines immensely in the older games, where that means not finding two openings to heal. Be aware whetstones autosheathe at the end of the animation.

Your lunging attack (moving x draw, or x+a) has some stagger resitance. This is a great way to use items, as you lunge, then use the item and can't be knocked around by small mons or being stepped on.

Deathprize (gendromes sns) is a para machine. For the other elements, the fated four minus gammoth all are good choices; I don't remember what I used for ice, but not gammoth. You can, of course, use raw instead.

While shield combo can stun and does blunt, don't use it in multiplayer --it knocks others around. Same for roundslash 3.

Don't sleep on alchemy sns, it's extremely cozy and being able to use stuff unsheathed really gels with it. It's good both for solo and multiplayer, and gets rid of the lovely step forward at the end of the x combo path.

Aerial and adept SnS are both pretty fun too. Adept keeps the back hop and gets a neat dodge added to it, and basically can function like an extremely safe aerial style--youll mount all the time.

You don't need aerial to mount like crazy though--just remember your x+a lunge works both going off and going up ledges :)

eta: People poo anything that's not damage skills, but sharpener (grinder deco) absolutely helps a ton with easing how fast sns will burn through sharpness. Prioritize longer sharpness colors over that sliver of white/blue

Also, if you want backhop with guild, it's perfectly fine. Evasion +1 and +2 will extend the backhop iframes as well on guild style, go crazy

felgs fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 11, 2023

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
reapplying mind's eye oil over chaos will basically fully sharpen your weapon.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I've been using Guild Style through my GU journey because I love the backstep charged strike loops, though I imagine they will be less feasible as I get into high rank.

Speaking of man, low rank GU was a great time. Game's just filled with stuff, it was 50 hours just to get high rank which in World/Rise was basically where the real game began, and the whole time's been a blast. Glad I tried one of these 'old-school' Monster Hunters even if it still feels pretty modern, there's a lot to love here and coming into it right after finishing up World I wouldn't be surprised if I end up rating this higher. Just been sick fighting my way through a monster roster that is like 50% totally new to me, especially all the early mid game monsters because there's some real winners here.

Really hoping Najarala and Blangonga make it into the next game. Would love to see them in a modern title.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

The Shame Boy posted:

grab the best sleep set you got and bring all the bombs and crafting materials you can carry. welcome to sleep bombing

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Oh yeah sleep bombing owns. It's how I do rajang

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You should use the Shoryuken. Very satisfying.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I think alchemy style is pretty good for SnS. You don’t lose much in moveset and the alchemy buffs give you lots of extra weapon art uses, and they are all good.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, alchemy looked neat for SnS but I used Striker for some hunts.

Cool SnS trick I only just now learned in GU, didn't know it when I ran Iceborne with SnS, is that the advancing slash - forward+unsheathe or X+A - has 3 seconds of super armor. So do that before using an item to get protection from being knocked out of the animation. X+A > R+Y.

It's nice to have all the DLC packs available on the emulator too. Not having to worry about zenny ever is great - hello 120 Golden Eggs - as is getting 800 Honey and other consumables.

Trying to stay away from the armor stones though, that does make your defense go up really fast. Haven't used some of the lower level packs as a consequence. May sell the Hard and True armor stones from the high level packs.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 11, 2023

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

felgs posted:

Chaos oil is the light, the truth, and the way.

Use oils--affinity oil adds free affinity, mind's eye oil gives you free mind's eye, destroyer is trip/part break city. If you use stamina oil and attack the head,you can get a KO.

All oils can be applied at once with chaos oil,and then you can select another oil and apply it in one stroke to boost the effects. It owns.

Striker style is generally favoured because sns has good skills. I personally liked the spinny round slash one (it has invinciblity frames), chaos oil, and absolute evasion/readiness (also invincible).

Striker loses the backhop, but you keep the rest of the toolkit.

R+item button will let you use all items with your weapon out--it shines immensely in the older games, where that means not finding two openings to heal. Be aware whetstones autosheathe at the end of the animation.

Your lunging attack (moving x draw, or x+a) has some stagger resitance. This is a great way to use items, as you lunge, then use the item and can't be knocked around by small mons or being stepped on.

Deathprize (gendromes sns) is a para machine. For the other elements, the fated four minus gammoth all are good choices; I don't remember what I used for ice, but not gammoth. You can, of course, use raw instead.

While shield combo can stun and does blunt, don't use it in multiplayer --it knocks others around. Same for roundslash 3.

Don't sleep on alchemy sns, it's extremely cozy and being able to use stuff unsheathed really gels with it. It's good both for solo and multiplayer, and gets rid of the lovely step forward at the end of the x combo path.

Aerial and adept SnS are both pretty fun too. Adept keeps the back hop and gets a neat dodge added to it, and basically can function like an extremely safe aerial style--youll mount all the time.

You don't need aerial to mount like crazy though--just remember your x+a lunge works both going off and going up ledges :)

eta: People poo anything that's not damage skills, but sharpener (grinder deco) absolutely helps a ton with easing how fast sns will burn through sharpness. Prioritize longer sharpness colors over that sliver of white/blue

Also, if you want backhop with guild, it's perfectly fine. Evasion +1 and +2 will extend the backhop iframes as well on guild style, go crazy

Thank you! This was what i was looking for!

What does Alchemy style do? I don't remember that from my previous expierence with Generations on 3DS :ohdear:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

The Shame Boy posted:

Thank you! This was what i was looking for!

What does Alchemy style do? I don't remember that from my previous expierence with Generations on 3DS :ohdear:

Alchemy was added to generations ultimate, it's not in generations! You get a special alchemy barrel that charges up and you shake to get items. Different levels will give you different items you can use--special alchemy whetstones that increase hunter art build up, single use alchemy earplugs, a BOMB, etc. Pulling an item out gives you one of different SP levels.

Once you know how many shakes each item takes, it goes very fast and it's very satisfying to do.

Pulling a high level item will give you an SP effect, and the higher ones have the lower effects. Here's a quick write up of them.

SP1
Your barrel charges faster and hunter arts too.

SP2
This slows down stamina depletion for your team in the area.

SP3
Gives a passive heal effect over time.

SP4
Easier to get staggers

Every higher level SP mode has the lower ones active.

So say you shake to the fourth shake o get the bazooka, it will activate sp4. SP3 is the one to go for for sure, but it's just overall a ton of fun and SNS really can make use of it.

In multiplayer, your sp effects will also get anyone in your area.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played a lot of Alchemy HH because you really can feel like a Bard. Popping SP4 into Attack Up (L) is like triggering a Limit Break, the crew can go wild

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
shake shake!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Gypceros being the first hyper monster you face, if I'm remembering that correctly, is funny since dude is already so hyper to begin. I think that's :thejoke: as LR variant already feels like a hyper though not in damage thankfully.

The Astalos reveal being a call out to the wyvern egg delivery quest from 4U is always worth a smile too. I went in the first time expecting a Rathian and surprise, it's angry boy with the pumped up music. Love how easy Prowler mode makes delivery quests, esp with the free psychoserum effect when they block paths on you, to say nothing of infinite sprint stamina.

Valor CB is amazing. I've put down all the other weapons I was tooling around with for the time being. Love how quickly you can get into Valor mode, esp if it's against a mon that gives you openings for axe mode sheathe attacks - I like building phials in non-Valor and using them to get to Valor quickly using axe.

And Valor is a blast - literally. The speed at which you can build phials using the Valor Evade is slick: evade > shield thrust > charged double slash > (only if needed) roundhouse slash. And then you shield charge with R+A and go straight into fricking AED II with just one A button press! From where you're already in the infinite AED II > AED III > AED II loop of destruction. Sick stuff, really. And that's before you even use your super, which is rightfully still useful in Valor mode.

I see people complain about how the CB was neutered in GU, speaking about Guild/Striker since the weapon lacks the insta-SAED out of a GP and you lose red shield on the Ultra. And not least because you have to be in axe mode first to even get to red shield, instead of the easy combo from sword mode shield thrust in 4U/World.

But GU's CB has always been the most fun to me, because you have to use the whole moveset and the flow is so much more fun as a consequence. SAED spam is fun for a bit, but it's repetitive. GU CB flow is about having a ton of options and then adjusting to the situation.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

You have a choice of a few different ones for first hyper, because I still haven't done hyper gypceros but I'm at end game g rank on one file.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Finally beat Dreadqueen. Clearly the toughest monster in MH history, more quest fails than Fatalis and the only time i've ever reached time limit. Surely any future deviant will be a cakewalk after this. :)

(Though I suppose high rank gear will be a nice boost for the rest.)

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I just finished grinding dreadqueen level 6, and it sealed for me I hate her fight more than anything, but that might have just been the lovely fourth gen dunes redesign

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

insert image of a cluster of Cephalos & Genprey

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The pokemon go clone is out in the US (Monster Hunter Now). It’s… fun???? The bones are the same as Go (AR world, random poo poo pops up around you) but the combat is a step up (in a way) of the raid battles in go.
There’s Weapons (of which you start with SnS) and armor which a possibly tedious grind tied to them but otherwise they are the same weapons you’d expect in terms of elemental damages and skills on armor.

No idea if this game will have any legs but it looks like a fun time waster if you enjoy hunting mons. There’s some mechanics (paintball) that let you play as you go instead of not having anything to do if you’re just at home and there’s some early group mechanics I haven’t had a chance to mess with that could be fun as well to mess around with.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The pokemon go clone is out in the US (Monster Hunter Now). It’s… fun???? The bones are the same as Go (AR world, random poo poo pops up around you) but the combat is a step up (in a way) of the raid battles in go.
There’s Weapons (of which you start with SnS) and armor which a possibly tedious grind tied to them but otherwise they are the same weapons you’d expect in terms of elemental damages and skills on armor.

No idea if this game will have any legs but it looks like a fun time waster if you enjoy hunting mons. There’s some mechanics (paintball) that let you play as you go instead of not having anything to do if you’re just at home and there’s some early group mechanics I haven’t had a chance to mess with that could be fun as well to mess around with.

yeah same, I played with it for ~30 minutes or so, took the dog for a walk and ran into a few harvest points and small monsters to cull but haven't seen anything beyond the couple of larges you see during the initial tutorial phase

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah it's surprisingly solid for what it is. if they keep adding content i could see it doing well. and there's a lot of content they can add

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Did the intro stuff and yeah its pretty fun. Combat is pretty basic so far of course. But i can def see the potential. I got punished for button mashing and got smacked mid SnS combo. Positioning seems a bit important. But everything died by just mashing anyway

Heres my friend code thing

6Y5JM2H8

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://twitter.com/Oceaniz96/status/1702127159622472015

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

"Close to Frontier" that means we're getting the Nunchaku, right?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm a daily Pokemon Go and Ingress player so I downloaded MH Now. It's pretty fun for what it is so far. I like how there's actual combat, as opposed to how PoGo raids operate.

I never managed to get far into a "real" MH game so I might check this out to get a high level view of what MH is like.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It seems like they get around rural/desolate areas having no spots/gyms/landmarks by having kind of wandering zones/oasis' that have higher spawn-rates? Nice for people like me in the outskirts. I know they probably want to keep fights short just due to how Niantic games work but hope the combat gets more involved then spamming the basic combo and rolling occasionally.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 14, 2023

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you hold to guard then flick your finger down you back hop into perfect rush. Learning that gives me hope the combat has a bit of meat to it.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Huxley posted:

If you hold to guard then flick your finger down you back hop into perfect rush. Learning that gives me hope the combat has a bit of meat to it.

holy poo poo that owns

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I'm enjoying MH Now quite a lot. It does a fine job of being Monster Hunter: Lite. Drains the phone battery a little faster than I would like, but I assume we'll see more optimization passes in the future.

Fun little thing to kill time with, and it's gonna make me replay World.

Friend code: 1955 9520 9779

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Not sure if perfect rush normally has this, but if you hold to shield, flick back, then hold again, you charge up your attack instead of jumping back forward immediately.

Friend/referral code: 1285 2281 4698

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Huxley posted:

you can tell it's a real monster hunter game because the loving semi-guided tutorial doesn't even tell you basic parts of your moveset like this

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i just got to the point where i can make and use greatsword in the mobile game and jesus christ they actually made this thing feel weighty as gently caress. it genuinely owns. your hold/charge move is literally charging up a big strike and your skill once you get to grade 2 is the true charged slash with the little initial hit and the giant loving slam at the end. since the fights are scaled quicker one of those hits for so goddamn much.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Also try changing your hunter’s appearance. I figured when they said you can change it at any time that they meant you could switch between those 8 combinations and skin color. But nope, can change all sorts of things they didn’t show at character creation.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Pierson posted:

It seems like they get around rural/desolate areas having no spots/gyms/landmarks by having kind of wandering zones/oasis' that have higher spawn-rates? Nice for people like me in the outskirts. I know they probably want to keep fights short just due to how Niantic games work but hope the combat gets more involved then spamming the basic combo and rolling occasionally.

I'm curious to hear more about this. I live in an area where the closest "pokestop"/"mushroom"/insert POI here is like 20 minutes of walking away (not a huge deal but it does make these games a bit lonely, I can drive to a big fancy mall or something but driving someplace to play a game that's supposed to encourage physical activity always felt like it defeated the purpose for me). I did install and load up the app and yeah, it seems like you get resources/big mons just by walking around, so I'm curious what the POIs are about and how much of a pain it is if you don't have one nearby.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

my work has a ton of PoIs on campus and best I can tell they just are big gathering nodes that give three attempts of bone/ore/etc. instead of just one from the random nodes that spawn. maybe they influence what type of biome spawns around them too but idk for sure.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Vitamean posted:

my work has a ton of PoIs on campus and best I can tell they just are big gathering nodes that give three attempts of bone/ore/etc. instead of just one from the random nodes that spawn. maybe they influence what type of biome spawns around them too but idk for sure.

i don't think they do, it's mainly that they will rotate between what they offer occasionally and that might have to do w/ biomes. and yeah, the landmarks just being fancy resource nodes is the best since it's not like pokemon go where you NEED pokestops to regularly hit or you're screwed

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

it's mostly anecdotal on my end. at my home I was surrounded by desert yesterday, and today it's forest, with no nearby poi. comparing that to the pois near my office, which have been bone piles in desert the past couple of days, but maybe it just "rolled" that twice or something.

not sure! kinda funny that the bone pile PoI is at the entrance of a graveyard though!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

HPanda posted:

Not sure if perfect rush normally has this, but if you hold to shield, flick back, then hold again, you charge up your attack instead of jumping back forward immediately.

Friend/referral code: 1285 2281 4698

Charge slash has been part of the kit since 4, even before perfect rush

That owns

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Pierson posted:

Looking at photos of people living in rural areas it actually doesn't seem to be that bad in general, it looks similar to the suburban area I live in at least. I wish there was a higher density of monsters but I can fight 8 or so of them on a dog walk which isn't too bad. The combat is fun too, much better than PoGo raids. The biggest issues I have is that the monetization is stupid and the regular network issues that plague PoGo definitely carried over.

It's definitely making me want to play MH again although I'm trying to figure out if I should do World or Rise, since I have both and only got partway into either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Vitamean posted:

If you look at the mats in your inventory, they show you where they can be found. It seems like the small nodes have the same contents in all biomes, but the large nodes have different contents per biome.

E: just realized that the large nodes are exclusive to one biome each, so what I said is kind of a moot point.

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 15, 2023