Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I tell all the junior shore ratings it's worth deploying direct support at least once so you understand how much it sucks to be pcs afloat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Fiye posted:

At least you could sleep on the ship. When we pulled in for decom on the enterprise the first things we got rid of were the galley and racks. If you wanted to sleep you had to head two piers over into a duty berthing and eventually that just got taken over by the loving ford so we ended up having to sleep in the old S-8 office in computer chairs (Or the RPCP if you were bold enough)

Yeah sorry I don't pity any skimmers or their incredibly luxurious watch and deployment schedule :(

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Grip it and rip it posted:

Yeah sorry I don't pity any skimmers or their incredibly luxurious watch and deployment schedule :(

Fair enough there was a reason I never signed the waiver

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I did two surface ships and three subs and when people ask me which one is better I always answered "shore duty"

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Flyinglemur posted:

I did two surface ships and three subs and when people ask me which one is better I always answered "shore duty"

thats a load of poo poo. I did 2 shore duties in hawaii and both were way worse than the ship. gently caress Panama schedule, only having 2 weekends off a month. Always getting called in during your sleep hours or off days for "chief needs this now" "mandatory all hands" "piss test, sorry gotta come in" ship was 4 section, but I was off by 1600 unless it was a duty day and we dogged weekends so I always had 3 weekends off a month. gently caress the shore, stay on the ship.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Flyinglemur posted:

After my second sea tour, slate for shore duty came out. Unless I signed up for DH, the only shore duty available was poo poo like ATG. Best option: drop letter, leave Navy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Stultus Maximus posted:

After my second sea tour, slate for shore duty came out. Unless I signed up for DH, the only shore duty available was poo poo like ATG. Best option: drop letter, leave Navy.

MY FRIEND HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT THE RESERVES?

lol j/k

I dont even drill monthly anymore and am forgetting so much. May only have to serve a month at a time twice a year to fulfill my requirements but man am I going to get rusty. And fat.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Crab Dad posted:

lol j/k

I dont even drill monthly anymore and am forgetting so much. May only have to serve a month at a time twice a year to fulfill my requirements but man am I going to get rusty. And fat.

Retiring from the reserves at the end of this year. Virtual drill is pretty cool.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Crab Dad posted:

lol j/k

Gotta put down the beers and start working out brah

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Stultus Maximus posted:

You should've poked your detailer more. There are a lot of random billets that have been gapped long enough that you might've been able to find a blood money waiver. I did for mine.

Of course, that was over a decade ago. :v:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
My point was that there was good and bad to both skimmer and subs, but there was another option that also has good and bad. It's mostly a joke you see.

I had typed up a long post about how lovely the end of my last shore duty was but maybe another time.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

AlternateNu posted:

You should've poked your detailer more. There are a lot of random billets that have been gapped long enough that you might've been able to find a blood money waiver. I did for mine.

Of course, that was over a decade ago. :v:

I left the Navy and finished my degree right into the Great Recession. I couldn't find a job, I was getting suicidally depressed about that and my wife was liable to leave me because of that when I finally found a career. It was a dark year or two.

Still better than staying in.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Stultus Maximus posted:

I left the Navy and finished my degree right into the Great Recession. I couldn't find a job, I was getting suicidally depressed about that and my wife was liable to leave me because of that when I finally found a career. It was a dark year or two.

Still better than staying in.

I ended up joining because of the GR.

The one positive thing I'll say about the Navy, is that I doubt I could ever appreciate how happy, fulfilled, and easy my current life is, if I didn't have the Navy to compare it against.

If I had gone to college and entered the white-collar work force, like a sane person, I could be a millionaire, jet setting around the world, on my third marriage to a super model, driving a Ferrari to work every day. But eating normal meals, going to a job where I'm treated as a respected and valued human being*, and coming home to a house made out of wood every day feels like that now.

*y'know, most of the time, it's still work.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.
I’ll never forget the experience of having to throw out my food because the ceiling dripped on it. And then once decom was underway the mess halls were taped up due to black mold.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fiye posted:

I’ll never forget the experience of having to throw out my food because the ceiling dripped on it. And then once decom was underway the mess halls were taped up due to black mold.

I forgot how many times this happened to me on the Enterprise lol

That ship was such a collosal piece of poo poo

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
the naval construction training center port Hueneme galley routinely served moldy fruit but in the desert all they are were MREs and slept in a room with 15 other people so what the gently caress are we complaining about?

the Navy is a sane, cool organization

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Being port and starboard watches underway sucks.

Hot racking sucks

Sleeping in the torpedo room sucks.

Put them all together and it really sucks.

Now pull into port and your chain of command doesn't give a poo poo that you have nowhere to sleep because they don't magically grow bunks when the lines go across in a foreign port so you get to sleep on the floor in the VLC space.

And the other guy you're hot racking with was the piece of poo poo from A school that took the orders 1 spot ahead of your roommate and very good actual friend. He knew we were trying to get the same boat, he did not give a poo poo.

We both showed up to the boat as E3s. I left as an E5 and he managed to advance twice as well - once to E4 and again back to E3. Anyway no matter how lovely my life has been, nothing much has come close to the first part of this post

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
I was at a shore submarine command doing some contract work and mentioned the "squared away sailor song" to the CPO I was working with there. Neither he nor the other CPO's in the office ever heard of it. Naturally when they pulled it up on youtube and had it blaring on the speakers, the CMC and Commander walk into the office and proceed to join in the fun, apparently none of them had ever heard it. The junior sailors found it hilarious tho.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Arione posted:

I was at a shore submarine command doing some contract work and mentioned the "squared away sailor song" to the CPO I was working with there. Neither he nor the other CPO's in the office ever heard of it. Naturally when they pulled it up on youtube and had it blaring on the speakers, the CMC and Commander walk into the office and proceed to join in the fun, apparently none of them had ever heard it. The junior sailors found it hilarious tho.

I don't know what you're talking about

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Arione posted:

Is this some sort of Khaki thing I am too blueshirt to understand?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
And then all the triad congratulated me and clapped and presented me to the admiral

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Are you guys loving kidding me?

https://youtu.be/GNHMdXLDlx0?si=fNA4IvGTpdTF4aug

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I was buddies with the guy who sung that lol

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Yeah first heard here too

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Sorry I have not heard the sailor song before, even though I was in at the time it was released. Hell, I was at NRMD Norfolk and working at Portsmouth probably pretty close to when this was filmed.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Wandering around north island base and I ran into my recruiter who’s now a senior chief. Had a nice chat. Small navy lol.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

M_Gargantua posted:

And then all the triad congratulated me and clapped and presented me to the admiral

nah, its a very small command tho. another joy of contract IT work.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Grip it and rip it posted:

I spent a year in drydock where I had to sleep on the ship so I could save myself an hour commute each day so I could workout onboard and not feel like joining the skipjack diving team. For this transgression I caught poo poo from coner morons who were on duty and saw me working out and sleeping on board and thought it was unfair that I wasn't working while I was aboard.

gently caress the navy

Who amongst us has not put two office chairs together in the shipyards to make a makeshift mattress

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Who amongst us has not put two office chairs together in the shipyards to make a makeshift mattress

Nah, used a hammock in radio often tho

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Slept on the chart table.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I'd hide in the electronic space under the forward RAM sponson, there was a couch in the space and it was always about 55 degrees due to it having wonderful AC in there, since electronics. Put on a jacket and curl up on the couch for a nap.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Outboard, stbd CSES on a 688. You can't tell me that THAT space wasn't designed specifically by a sonar tech that knew his people would need an ironclad skating zone.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

orange juche posted:

I'd hide in the electronic space under the forward RAM sponson, there was a couch in the space and it was always about 55 degrees due to it having wonderful AC in there, since electronics. Put on a jacket and curl up on the couch for a nap.

As a RAM FC, I concur strongly with this statement. I didn't have a couch though. Forward NSSMS had a hammock though.

e: I've still got a beanie I got in one of those care packages we'd randomly get. I absolutely sleep in sub-60 temps whenever possible though.

orange juche posted:

Given the gift of hindsight, there is a platform right underneath the launcher that I could have just put an inflatable mattress down on. (e2: Right, they moved all of the printer supplies for the ship into that space which is why I didnt do that)

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 22, 2023

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Flyinglemur posted:

Outboard, stbd CSES on a 688. You can't tell me that THAT space wasn't designed specifically by a sonar tech that knew his people would need an ironclad skating zone.

My first half of westpack was me and another guy racked in cses. I'm pretty sure my hearing loss is from that constant fan noise.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

ded posted:

My first half of westpack was me and another guy racked in cses. I'm pretty sure my hearing loss is from that constant fan noise.

What?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I prefer Skinny Man on a Vriginia* on a fog*HOOOONNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKK*

"Skinny Man", a 24 man berthing, so called because it's so narrow that my shoulders do not fit straight between the racks, and have to leave to turn to face the other way, and has special panels to stick firehoses in, because you can't fit safely in an SCBA, is where Control would be on an '88, directly below, and directly aft the bridge access hatch, so on foggy, surfaced, days you get blasted by the ship's whistle every few minutes, especially the fwd racks. I think this is why my ears are ringing, sitting in a dead silent house posting

E: EAB markers for scale

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 22, 2023

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
trunk of a humvee on top of some mre boxes

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

It would be easier to list the spaces on the ship that I didn't try to nap in.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

It would be easier to list the spaces on the ship that I didn't try to nap in.

COs stateroom?
Go big or go home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Elviscat posted:

I prefer Skinny Man on a Vriginia* on a fog*HOOOONNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKK*

"Skinny Man", a 24 man berthing, so called because it's so narrow that my shoulders do not fit straight between the racks, and have to leave to turn to face the other way, and has special panels to stick firehoses in, because you can't fit safely in an SCBA, is where Control would be on an '88, directly below, and directly aft the bridge access hatch, so on foggy, surfaced, days you get blasted by the ship's whistle every few minutes, especially the fwd racks. I think this is why my ears are ringing, sitting in a dead silent house posting

E: EAB markers for scale

JFC