Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tangy yet delightful posted:

Thanks for the trip report, where did you buy it?

A quick search yields: https://shop.peachmedical.com/products/Metrix-COVID-19-Molecular-Saliva-Swab-KIT-1-Test-Reader-Sold-Separately-p561344282

So if that's about what it is everywhere you're looking at $47.99 per test with a reusable reader that costs $75. Anyone already have their data/accuracy bookmarked, especially in comparison to other tests? The sales pages says 98% accurate but how true is that in reality?

edit: here is the company page https://www.aptitudemedical.com/product/metrix-covid-19-test

edit 2: Comparing the limits of detection for Lucira versus Metrix. Lucira LoD was 2700 Genome Equivalent, Metrix was 2000 GE. So if we assume that both tests target parts of covid that are conserved between variants, then the Metrix test should be more accurate as it requires less viral material. Our more chemistry minded goons can feel free to correct me on this.
https://www.fda.gov/media/162403/download
https://www.fda.gov/media/143808/download

I got mine from peachmedical. they sold out the day after I bought mine so glad that it appears more are in stock now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001

SardonicTyrant posted:

2. Redefine your goals.
3. Find joy and gratitude where you can. ...

Yah this poo poo sucks.

She is never gonna be "oh poo poo I was wrong". It's just "we all have to learn to live with how this is now, and if you can't you are just a sad little grinch".

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Wish I knew before driving to my appointment that CVS was scheduling appointments for vaccines that they don’t have in hand. I was understanding with the pharmacist … working at one of those national chains has got to be hell on a daily basis, and better for me to maintain a good relationship with them anyway. Pharmacist: “for some reason the system let people get appointments” nah I’m pretty sure the administrators did that intentionally because they found out it increases uptake by a few modest percentages. Oh well. I have another appointment scheduled for tomorrow in case they get the juice in, they said I can call around 10am to check ahead of time.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

DickParasite posted:

Cut out all of the bullshit and Dr. Wen sums up the medical establishment's response to LC quite nicely:

Your doctors can't help you.

Give up your dreams such as regular exercise and living into old age.

Applebee's.
Age of Despair, Age of Stars, Age of Frenzied Flame

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Pingui posted:

Not sure if your issue is isolating from the specific support system or the general self-isolation.

The isolating from the specific support system I don't know how to solve, as it depends entirely on specifics and those specifics might make it something you (as the SO) should not try to solve. You know best, but tread carefully or run the risk of building resentment.

The general self-isolation is "easy" enough, in the sense that there are specific places for people whom categorically mask, like covid meetups.
How does one find covid meet ups? The website is only a little helpful and the discords are full of weird ableists and transphobic pricks. Also they get weirdly clique-y

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

updated to say on a reread, Leana Wen is actually blaming it on pneumonia
she even talks about long covid, and everything she's describing about her experience and condition sounds like long covid and yet... :lmao:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

pillsburysoldier posted:

How does one find covid meet ups? The website is only a little helpful and the discords are full of weird ableists and transphobic pricks. Also they get weirdly clique-y

covid will meet you up right here:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

DickParasite posted:

Cut out all of the bullshit and Dr. Wen sums up the medical establishment's response to LC quite nicely:

1. Push for an answer, but know there might not be one.
Your doctors can't help you.

2. Redefine your goals.
Give up your dreams such as regular exercise and living into old age.

3. Find joy and gratitude where you can.
Applebee's.
it really is such a dire loving read
Wen is going all in :dehumanize:

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
I fully believe she had non-covid pneumonia, but I also remember the two COVID infections she caught after dropping precautions but before she was hospitalized.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Doctor Wen shoulda had a forums account, we could’ve told her to relax for six weeks

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Dr Wen is going full-on slim_pickens_rides_the_bomb.gif

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
scattered reports here and there that the new variants are presenting as “gastrointestinal distress” aka explosive diarrhea

https://twitter.com/hrhtish/status/1699517741559079253?s=46

https://twitter.com/kenneth33071904/status/1701257523838566707?s=46

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 05:11 on Sep 15, 2023

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
finally covid is funny

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1702499686790082769

How has this rear end in a top hat not been sued yet for being a quack and providing bad medical advice to an entire state

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Glumwheels posted:

How has this rear end in a top hat not been sued yet for being a quack and providing bad medical advice to an entire state
I mean given all the disinformation that Hannity has admitted to spreading, it's very :discourse: that Ladapo is saying this stuff on his show.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
this is amazing

https://twitter.com/jojofromjerz/status/1701734871196926407?s=46

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Tzen posted:

it really is such a dire loving read
Wen is going all in :dehumanize:

To be fair a lot of what she wrote is exactly the process the majority of us with life-changing conditions progress through, the only difference being that for things like narcolepsy there is no recovery. Because there is no recovery you basically have to learn how do like she says, reset the expectations you had for yourself. I'd describe it as a type of grieving a life you'll never have.

I get all the hate towards her and the frustration that she isn't owning up to it, didn't use the words "mask" or "COVID" or being blunt enough about prevention. But for me, because I never expected her to be a better person or have personal growth, I'm just loving amazed that she's being somewhat vulnerable and is saying to her audience (we're not her audience), "look, it sucks, but it [long-term illness/the inability to perform the way you feel you should/not getting clear answers] doesn't make you less worthy of seeking care."

She loving says at one point that you'll end up knowing more about your disease than many of the doctors you'll meet. She's giving people permission to do their own research and bring it in to the appointments because doctors won't do the homework for you. Telling someone to expect to advocate for yourself, and give a brief rundown of what that looks like, is a good thing. It shouldn't have to be a thing I know, but it is right now, and her telling people to keep a log, don't give up advocating for yourself, learn from online communities, and not totally throw in the towel is a good thing. Most people don't think about this kind of stuff ahead of time and feel alone and isolated the first few times they get shot-down by a doctor.

Finding small joys is just common sense for us sadbrained folk as well. She just isn't online enough to tell people to touch grass.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lmao that they didn't rename the Diamond Princess.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Leana Wen is like the main character of District 9 on a voyage of discovery and enlightenment

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Leana Wen is like the main character of District 9 on a voyage of discovery and enlightenment

she’s going to discover another relapse if she actually goes through with that triathlon swim thing for her mom.

Zugzwang posted:

I mean given all the disinformation that Hannity has admitted to spreading, it's very :discourse: that Ladapo is saying this stuff on his show.
reported for questioning medical professionals in positions of authority. Maybe once you’re surgeon general of one of the most populated states in the US and can cite a bunch of peer reviewed double blind studies that refute his assertions you can start questioning experts.

Glumwheels posted:

Same goes for you buddy!

Oracle has issued a correction as of 06:22 on Sep 15, 2023

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Doctor Wen shoulda had a forums account, we could’ve told her to relax for six weeks
speaking of i went on 2 runs post-covid (after about a week) and yeah it sucked
so now i'm opting to not do poo poo for another 3-4 weeks and gently caress it sucks i want to go run just gently caress god damnit
and lol my resting heart rate is 10-15 higher than before, and lol if i opt to walk up hills or several flights of stairs my heartrate jumps to what my 'easy jog/run' pace would be lmao gently caress you covid :theroni:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Zantie posted:

To be fair a lot of what she wrote is exactly the process the majority of us with life-changing conditions progress through, the only difference being that for things like narcolepsy there is no recovery. Because there is no recovery you basically have to learn how do like she says, reset the expectations you had for yourself. I'd describe it as a type of grieving a life you'll never have.

I get all the hate towards her and the frustration that she isn't owning up to it, didn't use the words "mask" or "COVID" or being blunt enough about prevention. But for me, because I never expected her to be a better person or have personal growth, I'm just loving amazed that she's being somewhat vulnerable and is saying to her audience (we're not her audience), "look, it sucks, but it [long-term illness/the inability to perform the way you feel you should/not getting clear answers] doesn't make you less worthy of seeking care."

She loving says at one point that you'll end up knowing more about your disease than many of the doctors you'll meet. She's giving people permission to do their own research and bring it in to the appointments because doctors won't do the homework for you. Telling someone to expect to advocate for yourself, and give a brief rundown of what that looks like, is a good thing. It shouldn't have to be a thing I know, but it is right now, and her telling people to keep a log, don't give up advocating for yourself, learn from online communities, and not totally throw in the towel is a good thing. Most people don't think about this kind of stuff ahead of time and feel alone and isolated the first few times they get shot-down by a doctor.

Finding small joys is just common sense for us sadbrained folk as well. She just isn't online enough to tell people to touch grass.
good points :hai: and yeah you're right

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

kreeningsons posted:

Wish I knew before driving to my appointment that CVS was scheduling appointments for vaccines that they don’t have in hand. I was understanding with the pharmacist … working at one of those national chains has got to be hell on a daily basis, and better for me to maintain a good relationship with them anyway. Pharmacist: “for some reason the system let people get appointments” nah I’m pretty sure the administrators did that intentionally because they found out it increases uptake by a few modest percentages. Oh well. I have another appointment scheduled for tomorrow in case they get the juice in, they said I can call around 10am to check ahead of time.

drat it i was excited because i got a 3:30 appointment Friday for Pfizer 23/24 & now I'm worried I'm going to show up to it and meet similar disappointment. Had an exposure, too, so I could really use the titers.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Tzen posted:

speaking of i went on 2 runs post-covid (after about a week) and yeah it sucked
so now i'm opting to not do poo poo for another 3-4 weeks and gently caress it sucks i want to go run just gently caress god damnit
and lol my resting heart rate is 10-15 higher than before, and lol if i opt to walk up hills or several flights of stairs my heartrate jumps to what my 'easy jog/run' pace would be lmao gently caress you covid :theroni:

would wait 6 weeks at the bare minimum, based on the experiences of a lot of twitter randos

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Glumwheels posted:

three weeks ago that guy would absolutely get probated after SAD complained about him

Grummbo
Sep 10, 2004

Your son is a doctor? Oh.. Ours is Pope.

pillsburysoldier posted:

I messaged and met with a few people which was exhausting, but it became immediately clear that other than wearing a mask and maybe ND or previous trauma, we didn't really have much in common.

A few of us ended up starting a whatsapp group and inviting people as we met them to share the load. We moved over to Discord despite people really struggling with it and kept adding more. Initially we wanted to stay offline, so we organised public events where we'd just sit in a park with masks on and let people meet and talk, and build trust. Over time people started going to drive ins, walking groups, parenting groups, etc.

Most of the people that joined were quite broken from isolation and previous trauma, and there were plenty of spreadsheet situations we got stuck in the middle of. When people showed up for the first time they always had this rush, which I now believe is 'co-regulation' -- people being able to physically speak and be heard for the first time. People went from "I demand 2 neg rats before I even read your post" to running into crowds at events which was a bit worrying, but it was a great time of building confidence with respirators, sharing safe medical providers and just general community fun.

As autumn faded here, the outdoor events were losing popularity and two people ended up developing symptoms after attending (one pos, one neg, no transmission). Between the long covid people, the recently infected that should be resting, and a bunch more ME/CFS people that had found their way in, we abandoned the rule of staying offline, and poo poo began kicking off. A person unsure if they should report very minor symptoms, spun through a bunch of online anxious people, ended up sounding like a covid machine gunner had shown up and started blasting. It devolved into ... the internet.

The park events were a much more convenient way to meet folk and I hope they happen again in some form as it gets warmer here again... but overall the summary is that meeting local people that wear masks is just a harder version of meeting people online: the odds are far less good, and the goods are way odder.

Grummbo has issued a correction as of 09:10 on Sep 15, 2023

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

genericnick posted:

Lmao that they didn't rename the Diamond Princess.

You mean the Ruby Princess? or was there a big deal with the Diamond Princess too?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Diamond Princess was the ship full of covid infecteds stuck in harbor in Japan IIRC

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Louisgod posted:

gonna go buy a bunch of Le Guin books now

always a GREAT idea

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

pillsburysoldier posted:

I honestly don't know beyond knowing of the website (girlfriend checked it out and in high-trust countries it is loving dire how few people still mask...). Grummbo's experience sounds more or less like what I expected, but I think that comes down to group activities (hence the "easy"). Somewhere in between the lines of the story you can hear that there are some people that get it and some that don't, but it is a lot better to try that, than to try nothing.

I kinda wish there was a place like COVID meetups, but less (heh) liberal in their COVID precautions. I would also like a pony.

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

nah, it's rhinovirus that the kids have, dont know you kids cant get covid

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Chamale posted:

Like, I'm vegan and I think eating meat is wrong, but if I stopped talking to anyone who ate meat I'd have a much smaller social circle. It's kinda a fact you have to deal with that people will do wrong things out of convenience or laziness, and when those people are my friends, I ignore it as best I can.

:agreed:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Grummbo posted:

I messaged and met with a few people which was exhausting, but it became immediately clear that other than wearing a mask and maybe ND or previous trauma, we didn't really have much in common.
(..)

Thank you for sharing your experience, I figured the cohort would be disparate like that and I suspect that is going to be an issue, for me, personally, in finding like-minded people. My own response to COVID was never fear-driven, I just skipped the stages of grief straight to acceptance and took the consequences of the new normal when I heard the word "airborne".

The implication is that there is no fear, no PTSD, no elation on meeting people etc. Which I think would make for a more sturdy and consistent no-COVID group. I don't know how many out there are similarly motivated, but unfortunately it doesn't appear to be many (if any, here, in glorious high-trust Denmark).

My hope is that as time passes, more of that subset reaches the conclusion that total isolation isn't sustainable as a permanent fixture and there will be an increase in the no-COVID cohort reaching out. Not holding my breath though, except when applicable to avoid COVID :P

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
My HMO somehow still has an open vax clinic in the hospital annex. It is impossible to contact the vax clinic directly to find out if they have the updated shot: calling the phone # leads to the centralized appointment call center, whose agents have zero information outside the script. Calling the main hospital is also useless: no information there, and definitely no direct line to the clinic.

lol

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Anyone have any thoughts on supplements to help memory/brain function? I'm now worried about cognitive effects from my covid 6 months ago, I am pretty sure I am making many more typos and misspellings than before. I don't notice any other effects, on concentration or thinking/speaking/reading, but now I'm paranoid.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/half-americans-interested-getting-updated-covid-shot-reutersipsos-poll-2023-09-15/ posted:

Half of Americans interested in getting updated COVID shot, Reuters/Ipsos poll shows
(..)
The nationwide online poll, which concluded on Thursday, showed that almost 30% of respondents were very interested in getting the vaccine and another 24% were somewhat interested. Almost 17% were not very interested and 30% were not interested at all.
(..)
Around 14% of those not interested in getting the booster said it was because they had COVID already while another 14% said they believed their previous vaccinations provided sufficient protection. Around 3% said their age group does not need the vaccine.
(..)

Another public health economics success story!

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Pingui posted:

Another public health economics success story!

Yeah I mean can’t really blame them, those ideas all have at least one expert attached to them

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

icantfindaname posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on supplements to help memory/brain function? I'm now worried about cognitive effects from my covid 6 months ago, I am pretty sure I am making many more typos and misspellings than before. I don't notice any other effects, on concentration or thinking/speaking/reading, but now I'm paranoid.

I lost the ability to read and write at length. But more noticeably I was unable to stand for more than several minutes.

I tried tons of supplements that were recommended by neurologist, hematologist, pulmonologist, and psychiatrist.

I didnt stick with any. None helped, definitely not enough to justify purchasing them.

The only thing that got me on my feet each day and eventually reading again was LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone)

It hasn't cured me. I rarely function half as well as I did before infection. But Im very grateful to have been given back a semblance of my abilities

Been using LDN about a year now

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

DominoKitten posted:

Here's a paper for folks interested in knowing where a possible next COVID minimization vector is forming:

Long COVID as a functional somatic symptom disorder caused by abnormally precise prior expectations during Bayesian perceptual processing: A new hypothesis and implications for pandemic response, in a journal called Sage Open Med

It puts forth that Long COVID is "real" for the people suffering from it, but lays the blame at the public health approach for inducing fear in the population, thereby giving predisposed people a somatic disorder. All the media scares served as a "nocebo". The lockdowns caused lots of mental illness. They come up with a new term to replace Long COVID: "Pandemic-Response Syndrome"; they also use the term "Long-Pandemic" and "COVID Stress Syndrome". A bunch of citations I haven't dug through yet, talking about weaknesses in papers studying long COVID. (And I mean, yeah, it's in fact really hard to find a control group of uninfected people these days, so if that's the standard I can't imagine how one would ever be satisfied now, oh well guess we'll never know.)

I find it a bit hard to really review this paper because I keep stumbling into things that I'm pretty sure I disagree with, for instance, they cite a paper talking about “[It is] biologically implausible that an infection that is usually mild or asymptomatic in children would commonly result in severe post-infection symptoms.” and I immediately think of post polio syndrome, and then I immediately think of this lady on Twitter talking about learning to stop fearing Polio because it was actually was DDT and heavy metal poisoning and then I just wanna have a lie down and think really hard about how we nearly lost the knowledge to combat scurvy after we figured it out the first time.

But I do think it's valuable to look at papers you know you disagree with and see what the other side is working with in their reasonings and citations.

opposition research :coal:

here’s some long covid PASC biomarker studies:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37486805/
The kynurenine pathway of tryptophan metabolism: a neglected therapeutic target of COVID-19 pathophysiology and immunotherapy

SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) exerts profound changes in the kynurenine (Kyn) pathway (KP) of tryptophan (Trp) metabolism that may underpin its pathophysiology. The KP is the main source of the vital cellular effector NAD+ and intermediate metabolites that modulate immune and neuronal functions.
(..)
The major Kyn metabolite targeted by COVID-19 is kynurenic acid (KA), the Kyn metabolite with the greatest affinity for the aryl hydrocarbon receptor (AhR), which is also activated by COVID-19. AhR activation initiates two important series of events: a vicious circle involving IDO1 induction, KA accumulation and further AhR activation, and activation of poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase (PARP) leading to NAD+ depletion and cell death. The virus further deprives the host of NAD+ by inhibiting its main biosynthetic pathway from quinolinic acid, while simultaneously acquiring NAD+ by promoting its synthesis from nicotinamide in the salvage pathway. Additionally, the protective effects of sirtuin 1 are minimised by the
PARP activation. KP dysfunction may also underpin the mood and neurological disorders acutely and during 'long COVID'.

https://news.weill.cornell.edu/news/2023/08/severe-covid-19-can-alter-long-term-immune-system-response
Epigenetic memory of coronavirus infection in innate immune cells and their progenitors

(We) found that circulating HSPC, enriched from peripheral blood, captured the diversity of bone marrow HSPC, enabling investigation of their epigenomic reprogramming following coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Alterations in innate immune phenotypes and epigenetic programs of HSPC persisted for months to 1 year following severe COVID-19 and were associated with distinct transcription factor (TF) activities, altered regulation of inflammatory programs, and durable increases in myelopoiesis. HSPC epigenomic alterations were conveyed, through differentiation, to progeny innate immune cells. Early activity of IL-6 contributed to these persistent phenotypes in human COVID-19 and a mouse coronavirus infection model. Epigenetic reprogramming of HSPC may underlie altered immune function following infection and be broadly relevant, especially for millions of COVID-19 survivors.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/new...id-19-brain-fog

Covid-19 Story Tip: Researchers May Have Unclouded the Mystery of COVID-19 ‘Brain Fog’

pathologists at Johns Hopkins Medicine in Baltimore and Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston have found evidence that large bone marrow cells known as megakaryocytes may be responsible for the brain fog. They suggest that megakaryocytes migrate to the brain in a journey precipitated by the destructive activity of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.
There, the researchers believe, the out-of-place cells may reduce or completely block the flow of nourishing blood through individual capillaries in the cerebral cortex — the area of the brain where most information processing occurs. Such capillary occlusions, they say, could lead to neurological impairment.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaneurology/fullarticle/2776455
Assessing Brain Capillaries in Coronavirus Disease 2019

investigations have largely not identified the chronic inflammation or marked neural changes typically associated with viral infection, and viral genetic material has been minimal or absent. We hypothesized that histopathology might provide insight.

Prior to this pandemic, the study neuropathologists (D.W.N. and I.H.S.) had not seen megakaryocytes in brain vessels, and we find no reference to this in the literature. A recent report showed these cells in an infarcted brain in COVID-19,4 suggesting they could have been present in the brain circulation and entered the parenchyma during hemorrhage.

Multiple lines of evidence indicate endothelial dysfunction may contribute to severe COVID-19 illness. Lung examination demonstrates megakaryocytes,5 and the cells have now been reported in other organs.6 One possibility is that altered endothelial or other signaling is recruiting megakaryocytes into the circulation and somehow permitting them to pass through the lungs. Although this initial study does not investigate mechanism, it is notable that we found megakaryocytes in cortical capillaries in 33% of cases examined. Because the standard brain autopsy sections taken sampled at random only a minute portion of the cortical volume, finding these cells suggests the total burden could be considerable. By occluding flow through individual capillaries, these large cells could cause ischemic alteration in a distinct pattern, potentially resulting in an atypical form of neurologic impairment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Real Mean Queen posted:

Yeah I mean can’t really blame them, those ideas all have at least one expert attached to them

As I recall all of them have been CDC endorsed at some point, it is just a matter of when people tapped out on new information.