Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

M_Sinistrari posted:

One would think after how many decades I've been online that I would learn that when someone says something's really bad and provides a link for proof, that when I click said link thinking 'how bad can it be?', it's going to be really bad with worse sprinkled in. I've never heard of Lamentation of the Flame Princess, but I'll avoid it with a 10 meter cattleprod.

I legitimately think it would be less time and effort to write up a horror themed Willy Wonka without the WTFery than trying to customize the module without it.

Though now I'm thinking of a warlock with a Lord of the Sweets pact firing off eldrich blasts of pepperminty death.

This module won an award. An award nominally based on merit and quality.

I find it to be an excellent way to test whether or not someone needs to get the gently caress out of my house.

There are also cool and not horrifying (except when intended) games in that F&F archive if you want to check them out. It’s just kind of cool to read about a weird fantasy game setting from 1997 that’s an extra deadly post-apocalyptic Australia cowering in the shadow of unknowable dark gods that are actually Winnie the Pooh and friends (For example) Horrorthread poster Halloween Jack has written a couple I liked a lot.

As for the OSR in general : drrocks is significantly more positive on the OSR than I am, but even I’m gonna say it’s wrong to call the whole subgenre all gross rapey misogynists. Those are sadly all over the hobby. While the OSR has some concentrated and particularly virulent strains, both also contain tons of kind, non-creepy people. Outside of specific figures and creepy things, I just don’t like the OSR because I think they’re poorly made games. Drrocks is big into them though, and they’re generally cool. That’s just taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Glad to hear things aren't quite that bad in the scene.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The Monster Overhaul is a real good book for a recent example, puts in a good deal of thought into the role monsters play in games. Also very usable for non-OSR fantasy games.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

When Evil Lurks is fuckin real one. It gets extremely mean and has some outstanding goop. It'll be hitting Shudder pretty soon.

E: the rumor around TIFF is that Shudder is looking to make this into a (tv) series.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 14, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:hellyeah: "From the director of Terrified (2017)" was all I needed to hear about this one tbh

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Chris James 2 posted:

:hellyeah: "From the director of Terrified (2017)" was all I needed to hear about this one tbh

I watched Terrified completely on a whim right after subscribing to Shudder and was blown away. It just felt like one horrific scene after another with no break at all from the tension, I loved it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

When Evil Lurks is fuckin real one. It gets extremely mean and has some outstanding goop. It'll be hitting Shudder pretty soon.

E: the rumor around TIFF is that Shudder is looking to make this into a (tv) series.

Hell yeah gimme all dat mean rear end horror

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Next weekend I'm going to the drive in to watch a double feature of Critters and Killer Klowns, with the Chiodos brothers in attendance.

Can't fuckin wait

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Count Thrashula posted:

Next weekend I'm going to the drive in to watch a double feature of Critters and Killer Klowns, with the Chiodos brothers in attendance.

Can't fuckin wait

Mad jealous over here now.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah, that sounds like the best time possible, holy poo poo.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Count Thrashula posted:

Can't fuckin wait

Hell yeah!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Count Thrashula posted:

Can't fuckin wait

Ask them about Killer Klowns 2. Make sure they know we want it.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Ask them about the upcoming killer klowns video game, are they involved?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jedit posted:

Ask them about Killer Klowns 2. Make sure they know we want it.

They know.

It’s the studios that don’t want to pony up.

But now that KK is a spirit Halloween staple it might happen soon

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

CelticPredator posted:

They know.

It’s the studios that don’t want to pony up.

But now that KK is a spirit Halloween staple it might happen soon

The same issue of "How much money will this make?" and "A tidy profit" isn't enough cause it's not LITERALLY ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I feel bad for having thought Bones was a bad movie all these years. Another Tubi success story. My friend also recommended I see Demon Knight.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Those are both SO good! Ernest R Dickerson RULES

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I feel bad for having thought Bones was a bad movie all these years. Another Tubi success story. My friend also recommended I see Demon Knight.

Demon Knight rules. It’s a “dumb” horror movie done extremely well. It’s schlock that knows it’s schlock and revels in it, without any lampshading or gimmicks. It’s earnestly silly.

Easily Billy Zane’s best performance. Lol.

And the criminally under-rated William Sadler gets to shine. That man has had a hell of a career.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I'm planning on catching Demon Knight during my October marathon and I'm pretty stoked about it. Some movies just give you that "oh yeah, I'm gonna enjoy this" vibe from the little bits you pick up from it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Call me crazy but I prefer Bones to Demon Knight. They're both really good but Bones has a bit of a gothic feel to it that I dig plus I think the overall talent involved is better than Demon Knight.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
There’s some shots in Bones that have stuck with me. The film truly looks incredible

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

See I’m just a sucker for the gimmick with the blood making anti-demon barriers. You give me a cool/silly magic power and you really go whole hog with it and I can’t help myself.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

the criminally under-rated William Sadler gets to shine. That man has had a hell of a career.
Death from Bill & Ted is neither dead nor retired. dafuq you mean "had"

Also Snoop Dogg's childhood crush was Pam Grier and then his first onscreen kiss is in Bones with... Pam Grier. He's said in interviews it's the most nervous he's ever been. It's so :3:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I am 11 days without watching a horror movie. I think. I think it may be closer to 7. I'm going through withdrawal.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

Death from Bill & Ted is neither dead nor retired. dafuq you mean "had"

“Has had”. Present perfect, specifically avoiding that implication.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 15, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think Sadler is in that new Salem's Lot that the Annabelle guy made which is never going to get released.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Terrified is phenomenal, I have literally not been that scared - not startled, scared - in at least a decade, since I first saw The Strangers

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think Sadler is in that new Salem's Lot that the Annabelle guy made which is never going to get released.

Yeah what the gently caress ever happened to that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

See I’m just a sucker for the gimmick with the blood making anti-demon barriers. You give me a cool/silly magic power and you really go whole hog with it and I can’t help myself.

It’s the Jesus flashbacks for me. On par with the Jesus flashbacks in Lair of the White Worm and Clockwork Orange.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Shrecknet posted:

Terrified is phenomenal, I have literally not been that scared - not startled, scared - in at least a decade, since I first saw The Strangers

:hellyeah: I just wish it had a different name so people wouldn't sleep on it

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Updated my Spooktober List, with an additional personal challenge, I'm trying to see as many movies from LB's Top 250 Horror list and no more than one movie from any year. 2015 and 11 are current empty and I'm not saying I don't want to watch a ton of Giallo, but it never clicked with me and any chance to dodge the 70s I can get, I'll take. Has anyone seen Despite the Night (15) or Take Shelter (11)? Are they worthy of being on the Top 250 list? (I've seen everything else from those years)

Opopanax posted:

:hellyeah: I just wish it had a different name so people wouldn't sleep on it
Obviously a lot of people are confusing it with Terrifier and when the spanish subtitles kick in they go find the clown movie. Agreed the title is the worst part.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Okay, finally watched Dagon. Loved it despite its many many faults. Bit of a mess but an incredibly fun, charming one, despite the dire cinematography. But it's 2001 so what can you expect? My big question is... why the HELL isn't the main actor Jeffrey Combs?

Also, Macarena Gómez also channels Barbara Steele extremely well.

Gonna finally read some Lovecraft, now. And probably watch The Resurrected next.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

feedmyleg posted:

Okay, finally watched Dagon. Loved it despite its many many faults. Bit of a mess but an incredibly fun, charming one, despite the dire cinematography. But it's 2001 so what can you expect? My big question is... why the HELL isn't the main actor Jeffrey Combs?

Gonna finally read some Lovecraft, now. And probably watch The Resurrected next.

The Resurrected is legit one of my most favorite horror movies. You're in for a treat. I loving love that movie.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

What you didn’t like our hero, Glasses McBlandface.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Count Thrashula posted:

Can't fuckin wait

2 childhood staples right there, just the right mix of scary but still goofy enough for kids. If it was a triple bill with Creepshow I'd drive to any of the lower 48 to attend.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Count Thrashula posted:

Can't fuckin wait

Where is this going down?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

feedmyleg posted:

if you're planning to read Lovecraft's works in print rather than digitally I'd recommend the four volume paperback set that Wordsworth Editions did as part of their "Tales of Mystery & The Supernatural" series* as they're cheap yet fairly high quality for the price and they also cover more or less all of Lovecraft's fiction(including the "juvenilia" and collaborative works of his that often get left out of "complete" collections of his stories)

*quite a few other classics have been released in this series as well, been meaning to buy some of the other volumes as well

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Shrecknet posted:

Updated my Spooktober List, with an additional personal challenge, I'm trying to see as many movies from LB's Top 250 Horror list and no more than one movie from any year. 2015 and 11 are current empty and I'm not saying I don't want to watch a ton of Giallo, but it never clicked with me and any chance to dodge the 70s I can get, I'll take. Has anyone seen Despite the Night (15) or Take Shelter (11)? Are they worthy of being on the Top 250 list? (I've seen everything else from those years)

Take Shelter is really good, though I've never really thought of it as a horror movie I could see how it could be considered one.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Take Shelter is terrific; Michael Shannon is worth a watch in anything honestly. that mug!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Demon Knight being so good made watching Bordello of Blood even more depressing.

EDIT: Watching clips of it, I forgot Dennis Miller took the part to act like an rear end in a top hat and complain about it on his show.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 15, 2023