Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

just download more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Well too bad I don't play x86 games, is there any way I can take advantage of the cheap SSD price? Can I shelve it up my phone?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

Well too bad I don't play x86 games, is there any way I can take advantage of the cheap SSD price? Can I shelve it up my phone?

yeah I am looking to upgrade my Plex server from some old HP desktop + a couple external HDDs to something like a proper NAS setup. are there any secret Chinese producers that Synology and QNAP don't want me to know about?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
you can get a decent backplane off aliex for $30-40, then just bolt it into a cheap+small case and plug it into the cheapest mobo/cpu/ram combo you can find. if that sounds like too much effort, real quick search turned up a prebuilt case+backplane combo for $100 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005442575652.html and a computer for $200 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005309885895.html
buy some ram and hdds and you're done. also if the box ever dies on you, you can just swap out the mobo instead of having to buy new like with qnap/synology because they're packed with proprietary form factor bullshit

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

President xi my people are dying. Send cxmt 2*16 3600 sticks

DDR4 is last gen, get with the times old man.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Truga posted:

you can get a decent backplane off aliex for $30-40, then just bolt it into a cheap+small case and plug it into the cheapest mobo/cpu/ram combo you can find. if that sounds like too much effort, real quick search turned up a prebuilt case+backplane combo for $100 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005442575652.html and a computer for $200 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005309885895.html
buy some ram and hdds and you're done. also if the box ever dies on you, you can just swap out the mobo instead of having to buy new like with qnap/synology because they're packed with proprietary form factor bullshit

ty

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

yea, and japan and south korea produce the other half. it's actually kinda comical that the us empire is completely reliant on an industry that's concentrated entirely in either china or in its immediate backyard

In the 90s everyone realized owning and building things was an unnecessary cost and the real value is in brands so were gonna turn all out former industries into being million dollar luxury condos

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

*bans Huawei*
*bams Tiktok on governess phones*
*complains every day about the security risks of Chinese technology*

quote:

Q    Hey, John.  I’ve got two for you on China.  We reported last week about China trying to ban iPhones for certain government agencies.  Now they’re saying they are seeing security threats with these phones.  They’re stopping short of issuing laws.  But we have reported on the internal guidance, and the President even mentioned it in Hanoi, saying, you know, they’re changing the rules of the game. 

Should we expect the administration to respond and there to be repercussions for China if they do go through with that?

MR. KIRBY:  I don’t want to get ahead of where we are right now.  We’re watching this with concern.  Clearly, it seems to be of a piece of the kinds of aggressive and inappropriate retaliation to U.S. companies that we’ve seen from the PRC in the past.  That’s what this appears to be. 

The truth is, we don’t have perfect visibility on exactly what they’re doing and why.  And we certainly would call on them to be more transparent about what they’re seeing and what they’re doing. 

Q    So, you are — it’s — it’s accurate to say that you are trying to seek that information from the Chinese —

MR. KIRBY:  We are — we’re watching this as closely as we can.  I’m not going to — I’m not going to get into diplomatic conversations, but it’s concerning.

Q    Okay.  And separately but related, the U.S. ambassador to Japan, Rahm Emanuel, has been pretty candid on Twitter talking about China and Xi Jinping’s policy of disappearing officials in his Cabinet.  Is this something that you guys are aware of or, you know, endorsing his message to be as forthright?  I mean, the White House has been pretty careful in how you do diplomacy with China, which is not really poking Xi Jinping the way the ambassador is.

MR. KIRBY:  I’ll let the ambassador speak to his social media account. 

We’ve long been clear about our concerns about a full range of worrisome PRC activities in — in the region there.  And I think I’d leave it at that.
source

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

KomradeX posted:

In the 90s everyone realized owning and building things was an unnecessary cost and the real value is in brands so were gonna turn all out former industries into being million dollar luxury condos

Yeah I think the Anglos around the 80s believed all the values are not in building things but in branding and imagining of the things, so they deindustrialized as much as possible, with the Brits leading the charge.

Like even the US MIC spends more energy and resources in branding their new weapons than building them. That's how you get "stealth" in everything from the F35 to the Zumwalt. You know what stealth is? it's the "air jordon" of the weapons, the "3D glasses" of the weapon. Just swindle everyone in the western camp to hop on the hype train.

And also move all the actual building poo poo to various countries in east asian. Why pay people work overtime to build poo poo when you can make Japan and SK make poo poo for you? Just print more USD and buy the majority share of their corporations.

What a beautiful racket, only the Anglos can come up with it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/hellowo63335565/status/1701034169097474345

tl;dr China started mass producing SSDs which is why they're so cheap now.

wheres my cheap ssds??? theyre still like $100+ here

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
get them off ali express.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Loved the foreign ministers dig at Musk
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/14/taiwan-elon-musk-china-comments-response-all-in-summit-los-angeles

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Palladium posted:

wow thats also japan to a T

Hey now.

Japan would still have anime and video games.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

What's the investment in Tibet look like nowadays? People talk about xinjiang because of the push but I don't think anyone gives a poo poo about Tibet anymore so I don't know what it looks like there

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I hear you can get some tibet for free now

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Grapplejack posted:

What's the investment in Tibet look like nowadays? People talk about xinjiang because of the push but I don't think anyone gives a poo poo about Tibet anymore so I don't know what it looks like there

https://www.ceicdata.com/en/china/gross-domestic-product-per-capita/gross-domestic-product-per-capita-tibet

GDP tripled from 2010 to 2021

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

but at what cost???

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

No one talks about tibet anymore because the economic conditions have improved so much that its just not a vector for potential unrest anymore.

Likewise HKs political reforms were so thorough that the conditions where a foreign power could start unrest were neutered

So the big goal of the US is to try and stop the economical growth of xinjiang so it doesnt turn into another tibet. Its not even a thing that slowing the economic growth would immediately lead to political unrest either, its something the US could look forward to in like a few decades at least. But if the econmic conditions are constanrly improving then the potential vector basically disppears forever

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Cerebral Bore posted:

but at what cost???

The Dali Lama lost his ability to respawn

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

corona familiar posted:

lol $135 per diem for meals in China

was this guy eating at Michelin-level restaurants for every meal? a meal at a place like https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g308272-d8261321-Reviews-Epices_Foie_Gras-Shanghai.html is like 200-500 RMB

i suspect the reason this was so high is because the internal revenue service gives you a ridiculously high allowance for the meals taken overseas that could be subtracted as a business expense so this was presumably to allow chinese finance people to meet american counterparts on a tit for tat basis in regard to meal sharing

i was sorely tempted to actually try to eat like that in korea once i realized this deduction existed but i was worried it would set off red flags in regard to my relatively low income and also the kinds of place that charge that kind of ridiculous money are also the ones i would almost never ever want to go to i came to korea to sit on the floor and eat endless side dishes with chopsticks like god intended gently caress off with your forks and tall tables and tiny portions

anyway your main takeaway from this should be that if youre an american living overseas on a decent salary always treat people to dinner the american government literally lets you do it for free because our tax system is idiotic

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

Fizzy is expanding his news franchise to the Eurasian thread and he is going to push out Someguy TT.

eh unless elon musk switches the default sort option for non accounts back to most recent instead of most liked i cant really see myself seriously pursuing the gimmick again the ratio of stupid to good articles just isnt as high when im not looking for them on twitter

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

eh unless elon musk switches the default sort option for non accounts back to most recent instead of most liked i cant really see myself seriously pursuing the gimmick again the ratio of stupid to good articles just isnt as high when im not looking for them on twitter

What do you mean again you never stopped

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so is this the no context simpsons screencap that encapsulates the current era of chinese history or is it the one where bart says they wont teach the secret of enlightenment to foreign devils

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im watching season one episode seventeen and the plot of this one is whether to develop the ecuadoran rainforest for oil because the american government has heroically banned bribery our oil companies are at a disadvantage compared to the chicoms who can bribe whoever they want

the usual china stereotypes are all here the one thats bugging me is that the script is taking it for granted that chinas stealing all of the worlds oil by outbidding us for local contracts whats bugging me is that i cant think of any examples of their actually doing this

so my question is has china actually been helping developing countries destroy rainforests to build oil fields and i just havent been hearing about it or is this just a thing we assumed they were going to do nine years ago because thats what we would do if we didnt have any scruples about the environment

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The only rain forests you have left are in Brazil, so unless Brazil's oil fields are in the tropics, it's probably writers making up poo poo.

AFAIK, even African countries that signing out oil contracts let geopolitic preference take priority before money.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Some Guy TT posted:

so my question is has china actually been helping developing countries destroy rainforests to build oil fields and i just havent been hearing about it or is this just a thing we assumed they were going to do nine years ago because thats what we would do if we didnt have any scruples about the environment

the only thing ive seen thats really novel, but barely potentially malevolent, is the establishment of escrow accounts associated with large loans. as in a country puts 10M into an account China presumably can pull from as a condition of getting their 1B loan. that seems like it could just be a way to guarantee liquidity to Chinese lenders or reduce some sort of shock in the case of crisis, but depending on exactly the terms and conditions it could maybe be onerous.

and it didnt seem like the sort of thing everybody else was doing, IMF and other lenders were pissed that China would be 'jumping the queue' in any sort of debt crisis. presumably they themselves will start implementing a strategy using escrow accounts, though.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/09/07/zambia-china-debt-imf-economy/
https://apnews.com/article/china-debt-banking-loans-financial-developing-countries-collapse-8df6f9fac3e1e758d0e6d8d5dfbd3ed6

in general these articles seem extremely light on numbers and deceptive when numbers are revealed. in the above article "Is China Responsible for Zambia’s Debt Crisis?" they eventually mention that china is roughly 1/6th of external debt, which undermines the thesis significantly. there are ways that could still pan out, but the usurious rates of the Chinese lenders are never quantified, nor is the way in which sovereignty is being threatened, certainly not how the latter is unique to Chinese debt. a economically unstable country with any Chinese debt can thank china for its situation, regardless how much debt they carry or its terms.

but ultimately the real concern in all these articles is the growth of Chinese economic influence at all, its not really about how China is uniquely evil in lending. China providing 10B at 1.5% to help a country wipe 10B at 2.5% interest of IMF debt would be seen as a terrible example of Chinese manipulation of debt to ensnare the global south, even though the debtor country would be in a better position.

i will say that i dont know for certain that China is a significantly better lender, just that i'd personally assume they're playing the same game with largely the same rules as the west.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
China can afford to be a better lender precisely because the cost/benefit ratio of losing money on loans vs undermining the Washington Consensus is insanely favorable to them (and also an unqualified Good Thing)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

nah most japanese wine is terrible.

The shiny bottles in Yakuza games make me want to try various Japanese spirits

Mad that the latest games have replaced the shiny 3d models with a lame photo.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Grapplejack posted:

http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/the-grass-is-greener-in-china/

quote:

“Tibet will strive to make highways reach all townships and administrative villages by 2020 in a bid to boost rural development. …By 2020, all townships which meet necessary conditions and 80% of administrative villages would have access to bus service.”

---

However, for the Tibetans living in these border areas, perhaps it is too little too late for their lives in India. It is these Tibetans who are generally forced to seek a living using less-than-legitimate means, and for whom such a restrictive existence will grow tiresome after 60 years. And so it is clear where the push and pull factors come from. China, where family members are still living; China, where well-paying jobs are aplenty; China, where the infrastructure is improving with the government’s assistance; China, where religion is now easily accessible and people can practice openly; China, where the grass is greener, and there is no doubt about this.

https://medium.com/@kei_shashi/why-are-tibetans-leaving-india-when-the-dalai-lama-is-still-there-52d8e6fa0307

quote:

Many Tibetans followed the Dalai Lama out of Tibet to live in India. So many Tibetans are 2nd and 3rd generations, born in India. They are more Indian than Tibetan. All of these Tibetans claim to be loyal and to love the Dalai Lama so much. If that is the case, why are thousands of Tibetans emigrating to the West and or returning back to Tibet? Why are they leaving the Dalai Lama behind in India? Tired of waiting for a future with no end under an ineffectual administration, the rapidly emptying schools are the surest sign that Tibetans have definitely lost hope in the Dalai Lama and his regime headquartered in Dharamsala. Surely the Tibetans still love the Dalai Lama as he tried his best, but it does mean they have lost hope in his abilities to rescue them out of poverty and getting their country back.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

celadon posted:

the only thing ive seen thats really novel, but barely potentially malevolent, is the establishment of escrow accounts associated with large loans. as in a country puts 10M into an account China presumably can pull from as a condition of getting their 1B loan. that seems like it could just be a way to guarantee liquidity to Chinese lenders or reduce some sort of shock in the case of crisis, but depending on exactly the terms and conditions it could maybe be onerous.

and it didnt seem like the sort of thing everybody else was doing, IMF and other lenders were pissed that China would be 'jumping the queue' in any sort of debt crisis. presumably they themselves will start implementing a strategy using escrow accounts, though.

https://apnews.com/article/china-debt-banking-loans-financial-developing-countries-collapse-8df6f9fac3e1e758d0e6d8d5dfbd3ed6

in general these articles seem extremely light on numbers and deceptive when numbers are revealed. in the above article "Is China Responsible for Zambia’s Debt Crisis?" they eventually mention that china is roughly 1/6th of external debt, which undermines the thesis significantly. there are ways that could still pan out, but the usurious rates of the Chinese lenders are never quantified, nor is the way in which sovereignty is being threatened, certainly not how the latter is unique to Chinese debt. a economically unstable country with any Chinese debt can thank china for its situation, regardless how much debt they carry or its terms.

but ultimately the real concern in all these articles is the growth of Chinese economic influence at all, its not really about how China is uniquely evil in lending. China providing 10B at 1.5% to help a country wipe 10B at 2.5% interest of IMF debt would be seen as a terrible example of Chinese manipulation of debt to ensnare the global south, even though the debtor country would be in a better position.

i will say that i dont know for certain that China is a significantly better lender, just that i'd personally assume they're playing the same game with largely the same rules as the west.

this guy did a long thread about it:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

yellowcar posted:

hawaii has a better case to be a real country than taiwan does

it's good that an absolute monarchy with slavery got toppled actually

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

i didn't say anything about bringing back the monarchy

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

No one talks about tibet anymore because the economic conditions have improved so much that its just not a vector for potential unrest anymore.

Likewise HKs political reforms were so thorough that the conditions where a foreign power could start unrest were neutered

So the big goal of the US is to try and stop the economical growth of xinjiang so it doesnt turn into another tibet. Its not even a thing that slowing the economic growth would immediately lead to political unrest either, its something the US could look forward to in like a few decades at least. But if the econmic conditions are constanrly improving then the potential vector basically disppears forever

I think the US leaving Afghanistan was the US also giving up on any serious attempts to foment separatism in Xinjiang

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

celadon posted:

no no you dont get it the show made it very clear that theyre giving ecuador aid and not loans surely theyre not deliberately and misleadingly using those two terms in specific contexts as if they were synonyms in order to suggest that china is behaving maliciously even for a fictional tv drama that would be extremely disingenuous

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Spergin Morlock posted:

it's good that an absolute monarchy with slavery got toppled actually

Hawaii in 1893 wasn’t close to an absolute monarchy. America was the country that brought the institution of slavery to Hawaii originally, and their citizens owned the plantations that used slaves (most of which were native Hawaiians). The monarchy at this point was a fairly weak constitutional one and had been heavily weakened and compromised by American business and religious interests for decades.

When these same slave-owning American plantation owners gave the queen the choice between abdicating or having a US navy ship indiscriminately bombard the civilians of Honolulu, would it surprise you to find out that they were not doing it for higher ideals or to improve the lives of those they enslaved?

When the Great Satan exterminates a form of independent sovereignty, even a flawed one which it had already heavily suborned, it is not to be celebrated.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Josef bugman posted:

Are there any good books, unfortunately only in English, on the post Qing and early CCP period in China? Or at least anything people would recommend.

https://twitter.com/1804Books/status/1659617932672942087?s=20

quote:

Between the end of the Opium War in the 1842 and the establishment of the People’s Republic in 1949 China, long the most prosperous and sophisticated country in the world, was subjected to the military, economic, and political domination of Western imperialism. The old dynastic system was overthrown in 1911, and in 1921 the Communist Party was formed, which led the revolutionary struggle over the next three decades. Since the founding of the PRC China has pursued its distinctive path of socialist construction, a challenging and often contentious process which is still unfolding today. This volume traces the crisis of Old China and the course of the revolutionary struggle up to 1949, and follows the development of New China through the era of Mao Zedong’s leadership, the launching of reform under Deng Xiaoping, and the beginning of a new era under the leadership of Xi Jinping. China’s use of market mechanisms to develop the productive economy has generated contradictions as well as dramatic growth, and China has achieved great things in education, health care, and the provision of other social services. But the process of socialist construction remains an unfinished and ongoing venture, and the future of the revolution is very much a work in progress.

this sounds like exactly what you're looking for. i've not read it yet, but the author is a guest on a lot of shows and seems to be pretty knowledgeable about it. i first heard of him on this:

crepeface posted:

I just finished listening to a 6 hour podcast (7 parts) about China's foreign policy from 1949 to the present while assembling some furniture so obtuse and diabolical that I'm convinced that this is China's revenge strike for the century of humiliation.

anyway, they attribute the largest break of sino-soviet relations as because of krushev meeting the Americans and agreeing on peace and nuclear non-proliferation at a meeting that excluded China while the US were aggressive in their region. USSR didn't like that china wasn't accepting their lead and recalled the scientists they had stationed in China for over a decade giving them help. china felt like USSR was behaving like a "great nation" dictating terms rather than promoting socialism and the US exploited these divisions by playing them against each other.

but even before Stalin's death, there were differences like Soviets being less globally confrontational than China, who were building up allies in the third world. there were also differences in how China chose to develop its economy compared to the path the USSR took (more focus on peasants etc)

part 1 is more focused on setting up the state of affairs with USSR and USA but is still probably worth listening, but part 2 is where they focus on the Sino-Soviet split:
https://twitter.com/TheSocProgram/status/1390419032826781697?t=Thi6X7GZ8BGNeep6Wx-2uA&s=19

or you can mainline the whole thing:
https://twitter.com/TheSocProgram/status/1421526521060093955?s=19

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Punished Turtle posted:

When these same slave-owning American plantation owners gave the queen the choice between abdicating or having a US navy ship indiscriminately bombard the civilians of Honolulu, would it surprise you to find out that they were not doing it for higher ideals or to improve the lives of those they enslaved?

(guy whos been watching mr sunshine voice) i am flabbergasted to learn such a thing

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Punished Turtle posted:

Hawaii in 1893 wasn’t close to an absolute monarchy. America was the country that brought the institution of slavery to Hawaii originally, and their citizens owned the plantations that used slaves (most of which were native Hawaiians). The monarchy at this point was a fairly weak constitutional one and had been heavily weakened and compromised by American business and religious interests for decades.

When the Great Satan exterminates a form of independent sovereignty, even a flawed one which it had already heavily suborned, it is not to be celebrated.

that's super interesting from the perspective of all the discussion of anthropology in the ukraine thread that got kicked off from the excerpts of "Weaponizing Anthropology" that gradenko posted. quoting this post from FF as a link to the discussion there

Frosted Flake posted:

This ties into what Gradenko was saying about anthropology. Imperial powers destroy local societies, and it seems often times the people who are left are traumatized survivors of an apocalypse. When anthropologists document them as representatives of the same culture that was all but wiped out, it effectively vindicates the imperial power. Domestically, it titillates the liberal middle class at home, while also directing middle class morality to the empire building project.

For example, the Ghost Dance, Sun Dance and Potlatch were all banned by the authorities, and the stories about them shocked and horrified the middle class population, but there's mountains of evidence that westward expansion created them and they do not represent pre-contact religious or social life among indigenous people.

A more benign example would be the 1930's-60's American depiction of Hawaii and Polynesia, seen in a million films like South Pacific. In particular, the stereotype of naked and carefree women on tropical isles, I think the Simpsons even joked about this. If I recall, Polynesian society did have codes of modesty and everything else, not reflected in the the hyper sexualized depiction of them. They "needed" to be "taught" modesty and sexual morality by missionaries from the same middle class that eagerly bought National Geographic off the shelves?

I think, just like kimonos and "Geishas" in postwar Japan, the American impression of Polynesian women was the result of their society being obliterated by a war and huge numbers of GIs flush with cash providing the only income for whole communities. I don't think anyone at the time was willing to grapple with the implications so instead anthropologists recorded this sort of idyllic, sexual, Polynesia as "authentic", rather than the result of contact with the west.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

crepeface posted:

that's super interesting from the perspective of all the discussion of anthropology in the ukraine thread that got kicked off from the excerpts of "Weaponizing Anthropology" that gradenko posted. quoting this post from FF as a link to the discussion there

Yeah it is a very interesting field, and perfect knowledge of precontact Hawaiian culture is made very hard by successful attempts of basically New England Puritan missionaries to suppress any and all cultural/religious practices. Still a lot of good work had/has been done to preserve it despite all of that.

As a sovereign entity the Kingdom of Hawaii was in an impossible position. It’s ruling class Westernized quickly, but that did not save them from (short-lived) invasions and occupations by Britain in 1843, and France in 1849. A relatively equal Pacific balance of power between Britain, France, and America allowed Hawaii to get support from whichever two powers weren’t trying to occupy it, and so precarious independence could be maintained. After the 1893 overthrow there was some hope of British and French, and international support for Hawaiian territorial sovereignty and the rules-based-order, but unsurprisingly none materialized.

In Hawaii today The Kingdom is remembered fondly by many. It’s shortcomings are understood to have come about in a context where it’s actions from the very beginning were highly circumscribed by the great powers around it. Western diseases, influence, and institutions had completely upended life in the islands in the span of a generation. The survivors were forced to constantly reckon with endless waves of adventurers, missionaries, and businessmen. We can see from earlier, even acquiescing to the outside imposition of an institution such as slavery would then be used as a justification by the imposer later for a more complete domination.

No government, however wise or benevolent, would have been allowed to stand in the way of America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

crepeface posted:

See I am unsure around this. I will admit my reading is limited and that the idea of needing to "teach" modesty is made up horseshit done by pervs, but I think that there most likely were differences in sexual practice in Polynesia and saying there wasn't takes more from the reactionary end of Anthropology that tries to argue "no differences, everyone was just like the anglosphere and we defo didn't import a whole load of our hang ups to people". Though if someone better read than me argues otherwise I'd have to look into it.