Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I just searched "germany fiba team" and google started shooting yellow red and black fireworks on the screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

GoutPatrol posted:

I just searched "germany fiba team" and google started shooting yellow red and black fireworks on the screen

It's because by beating the U.S. team (who had not lost a single finals game in 5 years) they went to the championship and won. This is the first time in history that Germany's basketball team has ever made it to the finals and they won the championship World Cup game on Sunday.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
are you just really into international basketball competition or something, wtf

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Letting Germans run amok has not always gone so well :ohdear:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Being fair brutally crushing them and really rubbing their noses in it also preludes bad events.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Cease to Hope posted:

are you just really into international basketball competition or something, wtf

Yeah, man. Basketball is easily one of the top 14 sports to watch.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

They forgot.

Osama, we will remember you and carry your memory in hearts.

:911:

https://twitter.com/AltHistCody/status/1702182071282606568

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

poo poo I'm useless, is this my sixth sense moment? https://twitter.com/jbenton/status/1702348894145769494

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tesseraction posted:

poo poo I'm useless, is this my sixth sense moment? https://twitter.com/jbenton/status/1702348894145769494

lmao.

How did nobody even preview the headline before they put it up to publish?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

lmao.

How did nobody even preview the headline before they put it up to publish?

Thats loving amazing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Congratulations, Silicon Valley. You've made a machine that reports news like it's scanlating manga.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

here's an article on the whole kerfuffle https://futurism.com/msn-ai-brandon-hunter-useless

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
shows a disappointing lack of capability on the ais part. there are so many uses for a human corpse

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Reads like "Gerald Ford dead today at the senseless age of 83"

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They forgot.

Osama, we will remember you and carry your memory in hearts.

:911:

I wonder what 30-somethings would say about WW2, and who were the Axis and the Allies.

Hell, have them explain Vietnam.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rappaport posted:

I wonder what 30-somethings would say about WW2, and who were the Axis and the Allies.

Hell, have them explain Vietnam.

WWII is drilled endlessly into the heads of schoolchildren from grade school on in America, and plenty of Hollywood movies have reinforced the broad strokes.

Vietnam is... iffy. My brother thought we won in Vietnam because of Rambo.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It wouldn't surprise me if they tried to use the AI to be inappropriate or basically trolled for attention and blamed on the AI

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
my assumption is always that for every one of these videos there's 10 hours worth of footage on the cutting room floor with people getting it right

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Oracle posted:

WWII is drilled endlessly into the heads of schoolchildren from grade school on in America, and plenty of Hollywood movies have reinforced the broad strokes.

I realize WW2 has a lot of cultural osmosis behind it, but I'm mildly curious how that translates to factual knowledge of what happened, never mind why. Of course that latter one is a doozy in any conflict, and this wasn't a question to the kids about nine-eleven either :unsmith:

Also obligatory snide remark about the US education system, etc.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Oracle posted:

American schooling varies tremendously from state to state and even from district to district. The history classes I got in school mostly just covered 1776-1865, with basically zero mention of anything that happened in the 20th century.

While there isn't a whole lot of high-profile polling from reliable organizations about what people know about WWII, the few polls that have been done suggest that the people who weren't around for WWII tend to know that their country fought the Nazis, but not much beyond that.

This page covers some of the more reliable polls. In a 1994 poll, less than half of Americans knew what D-Day was. In a 2004 poll, 60% of Americans knew who the enemy army was on D-Day, but the number decreased with age, and less than half of the 30-and-below age group was able to answer correctly.

It's not unique to Americans, either - Canadian and British polls have found similar levels of ignorance about the details of WWII.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rappaport posted:

I realize WW2 has a lot of cultural osmosis behind it, but I'm mildly curious how that translates to factual knowledge of what happened, never mind why. Of course that latter one is a doozy in any conflict, and this wasn't a question to the kids about nine-eleven either :unsmith:
If you had asked those kids ‘who attacked America on December 7th 1941’ a lot more of them would’ve answered correctly. If you asked who were we fighting in WWII the majority could’ve answered and gotten two out of three (lots of people forget Italy). If you’d asked them why we were fighting drat near all of them could’ve answered with variations on ‘they were trying to take over the world and doing things like the Holocaust’ and basically described fascism without necessarily knowing the right word for it. Like it’s not even in question, my kid just took AP US history and was groaning about learning about WWII again since they’d covered it in grade school and the entire 8th grade had to do a WWII living museum project and had a holocaust survivor come talk to them.
Public school history classes love teaching about World War II because it’s the last time America was the ‘good guys’ and looked really good doing it and it appeals to both liberals (fighting fascism) and conservatives (winning wars with a strong military, ushering in the idyllic 50s nuclear family and fighting communism). Conservatives would grumble about the time spent on the Japanese internment camps or racism but by and large it was a safe topic and not nearly as glossed over as say, Reconstruction.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

American schooling varies tremendously from state to state and even from district to district. The history classes I got in school mostly just covered 1776-1865, with basically zero mention of anything that happened in the 20th century.

While there isn't a whole lot of high-profile polling from reliable organizations about what people know about WWII, the few polls that have been done suggest that the people who weren't around for WWII tend to know that their country fought the Nazis, but not much beyond that.

This page covers some of the more reliable polls. In a 1994 poll, less than half of Americans knew what D-Day was. In a 2004 poll, 60% of Americans knew who the enemy army was on D-Day, but the number decreased with age, and less than half of the 30-and-below age group was able to answer correctly.

It's not unique to Americans, either - Canadian and British polls have found similar levels of ignorance about the details of WWII.
Did you go to school in the south? Because when I was in school (80s-early 90s) every year was Pilgrims-First Thanksgiving-Revolutionary War/War of 1812/Declaration of Independence-Civil War (paragraph of reconstruction) Manifest Destiny/Westward Expansion (Oregon Trail playing!) -WWI-Roaring 20s-Great Depression (unionization/labor movement-go growing up in Flint)-WWII-McCarthyism/Cold War-Civil Rights movement Oop MLK got shot Kennedy got shot RFK got shot Johson signed the Civil Rights Act ended racism and that’s all we have time for have a good summer!

The lions share of that time was spent on the Revolutionary War, Civil War, and WWII. So many dates/locations of battles and names of generals…

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Oracle posted:

If you had asked those kids ‘who attacked America on December 7th 1941’ a lot more of them would’ve answered correctly. If you asked who were we fighting in WWII the majority could’ve answered and gotten two out of three (lots of people forget Italy). If you’d asked them why we were fighting drat near all of them could’ve answered with variations on ‘they were trying to take over the world and doing things like the Holocaust’ and basically described fascism without necessarily knowing the right word for it. Like it’s not even in question, my kid just took AP US history and was groaning about learning about WWII again since they’d covered it in grade school and the entire 8th grade had to do a WWII living museum project and had a holocaust survivor come talk to them.

I'll defer to Main Paineframe's effortpost on actual polling, but it is funny that your suggested pidgin answer is an amalgam of "who attacked Pearl Harbour" and "we were fighting fascism (partly) because of the holocaust" when there's a bit of nuance even there. Which isn't here or there when it comes to a tiktok Fallon bit, sure.

I admit to some bias in this since my country was in the Axis, but you never got around to declaring war on us, unlike perfidious Albion!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Oracle posted:

Did you go to school in the south? Because when I was in school (80s-early 90s) every year was Pilgrims-First Thanksgiving-Revolutionary War/War of 1812/Declaration of Independence-Civil War (paragraph of reconstruction) Manifest Destiny/Westward Expansion (Oregon Trail playing!) -WWI-Roaring 20s-Great Depression (unionization/labor movement-go growing up in Flint)-WWII-McCarthyism/Cold War-Civil Rights movement Oop MLK got shot Kennedy got shot RFK got shot Johson signed the Civil Rights Act ended racism and that’s all we have time for have a good summer!

The lions share of that time was spent on the Revolutionary War, Civil War, and WWII. So many dates/locations of battles and names of generals…

Yes, Florida in the 90s. It was divided up totally differently. One year we'd cover the colonial era, the next year the Revolutionary War, the next year went up to the War of 1812 or so, and so on, each year covering a couple of decades in significant detail. Elementary school got up to the end of the Civil War, and then we went to middle school and history classes went back to 1777 and started the whole sequence over (in even greater detail now that we were older and could retain more). High school covered a bit of the early 20th century, I think, but I came out of school not having a drat clue what the Vietnam War was, let alone the Korean War.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Yes, Florida in the 90s. It was divided up totally differently. One year we'd cover the colonial era, the next year the Revolutionary War, the next year went up to the War of 1812 or so, and so on, each year covering a couple of decades in significant detail. Elementary school got up to the end of the Civil War, and then we went to middle school and history classes went back to 1777 and started the whole sequence over (in even greater detail now that we were older and could retain more). High school covered a bit of the early 20th century, I think, but I came out of school not having a drat clue what the Vietnam War was, let alone the Korean War.

Did they not watch M*A*S*H in Florida?! (that and having a Korean best friend growing up were responsible for most of what I knew about the Korean War). My stepdad was a Vietnam vet and it was in the news quite a bit growing up but basically ended the year I was born so basically Rambo movies, Platoon, Good Morning Vietnam and Full Metal Jacket kept the gist of it in the GenX consciousness.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

We watched Rodney Dangerfield's "Back to School" in my civics class because we finished all the material in the book and had 4 days of class left.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Oracle posted:

Did they not watch M*A*S*H in Florida?! (that and having a Korean best friend growing up were responsible for most of what I knew about the Korean War). My stepdad was a Vietnam vet and it was in the news quite a bit growing up but basically ended the year I was born so basically Rambo movies, Platoon, Good Morning Vietnam and Full Metal Jacket kept the gist of it in the GenX consciousness.

during my 90s childhood, the people around me usually watched shows and movies from the 90s, not shows from the 70s

and then when the mid-00s rolled around it was just Fox News all day long

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
In my 90s childhood, 70s and 80s TV shows were in syndication everywhere and it felt like there was a MASH marathon on some basic cable channel every loving day. I thought it was the most boring stuff in the world next to Matlock and Touched By An Angel.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Loved Nick at Nite in the ‘90s but switched that poo poo off the moment MASH came on

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Judgy Fucker posted:

Loved Nick at Nite in the ‘90s but switched that poo poo off the moment MASH came on

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

In my 90s childhood, 70s and 80s TV shows were in syndication everywhere and it felt like there was a MASH marathon on some basic cable channel every loving day. I thought it was the most boring stuff in the world next to Matlock and Touched By An Angel.

Weird 90s evangelical preachy teevee shows were so awful

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rappaport posted:

Weird 90s evangelical preachy teevee shows were so awful

Wrong.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Main Paineframe posted:

My history classes never even got to the War of 1812. Just colonial times and the revolution, again and again and again.

That cartoon really made heroin seem cool and mysterious to 8-year-old me.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

during my 90s childhood, the people around me usually watched shows and movies from the 90s, not shows from the 70s

and then when the mid-00s rolled around it was just Fox News all day long

My dad watched MASH religiously. That and Cheers. We only had one tv so what he watched, we watched. And this was the 80s not the 90s.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Goongrats, the Frasier re-boot starts in about a month, you can be your old man :corsair:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I wish they made a full series of the Black Frasier show from 30 Rock.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don't really remember this show, but I can kind of remember the recurring nightmares based on it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah MASH was on TV nonstop in the 90s, my local station did a MASH BASH once a month where theyd do the whole series start to finish 24/7.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I don't remember watching movies in US history (we did get to civil rights) but I do remember in Algebra 2 as a 9th grader watching Death Becomes Her and The Hand that Rocks the Cradle, the latter opening up with Q doing some, uh, probing of someone who wasn't Picard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Politico has an interview with a bunch of UAW workers and I really want to ask this guy more about his politics and how he came into them.

He says:

- He isn't supporting Biden or Trump in 2024 yet, but is leaning towards Trump.
- Trump and Reagan were the only Presidents who cared about unions and working people in the last 30 years
- Democrats used to be for working people, but stopped being for them around 2004.
- He would happily vote for Obama in 2024 if he were running.
- He voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016 and Trump in 2020.