Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!

Zedhe Khoja posted:

yeah the horrifying giger meat aliens are about the most anti-starwars thing that could possibly exist, visually. They're never returning to the canon in anything resembling their old form

Dammit, now I WANT them to discover Thrawn’s Star Destroyer has been Event Horizon’d.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Snowmanatee posted:

Dammit, now I WANT them to discover Thrawn’s Star Destroyer has been Event Horizon’d.

“We’re leavin’.” - Ahsoka to Huyang after watching the Star Destroyer’s black box footage

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Zedhe Khoja posted:

meat aliens are about the most anti-starwars thing that could possibly exist, visually.

Look at this guy who doesn't recognize the glory of Waru

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I just feel like pointing out that "if you only watch the trailers" is a completely arbitrary restriction that feels arrived at backwards to prove a point

There's a lot more press than just trailers

It's fine to judge the show on its own though, or a movie sequel, sure, but the context still does actually matter

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hiro Protagonist posted:

How important is watching Rebels to watching Ahsoka? I've seen a good portion of Clone Wars, and am currently catching up with the Mandalorian.

Ahsoka is drawing on the characters from Rebels more than the plot. The search for Ezra/Thrawn is set up by the Rebels finale but outside of that they've essentially avoided drawing on any specific events or stories. It's similar with TCW, where the one sentence summary of Ahsoka's arc ("Anakin's padawan during the war who left the order") gets you all of the narrative information you need.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Sash! posted:

Look at this guy who doesn't recognize the glory of Waru

sir i am well aware of the meat cube
the frog alien who dealt drugs
the sentient crystals who served a hutt jedi
chewbacca getting crushed by a moon

my stepgrandparents heard i liked reading and bought me a million lovely star wars books when i was in elementary school and i read them all and i can't remember anybody i went to school with but i can remember the slutty autistic bird lady who invented the deathstar

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

mweber posted:

Somehow all the makeup makes Mary Elizabeth Winstead look like Titus Welliver.

She'll never be that hot.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

If anything, I think the overall issue is reversed.

The fact that you have a group of people that don't like watching animation knowing there are hundreds of episodes of prequel assume anything introduced in the show was somehow explained or developed in the prequel and feel they're missing some vital information instead of rolling with it. Anyone truly new to all of this, on the other hand, just accepts what they see and *wait* to see if its developed later on within the bounds of the show.

That's also kind of the difference between assuming how someone ignorant of the prequels actually feels and...how they actually feel.

First episode has a good example of this as people online were saying "well I don't care about Ahsoka and Sabine because I didn't see their training," even though that was strictly setup for what is happening now on the bounds of the show itself.

That's also why I felt the first episodes were kind of weak; they were all setup that didn't work too well with people that watched to this point, and people who hadn't assumed they were all stuff that they didn't understand only because they missed out, stopping them from absorbing the setup. It probably would take someone completely unknowing it was a sequel for those episodes to work.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Nah, the show just does a really shoddy job of conveying basically anything for a lot of it. Defining Skoll and Hati as 'not jedi' as they reference the opening of episode 1 and then showing a 'jedi' as some lady futzing around in an old tomb doing nothing in particular is a shockingly poor introduction to what's going on, to say nothing of the bizarre thrawn plot concept that kinda just hangs over the show not interacting with the events on screen

it's a bizarre contrast with rebels, which is the other big filoni vehicle with some broad similarities, except that show does a way better job of establishing the characters and their relationship with the empire in the pilot alone

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

ungulateman posted:

Nah, the show just does a really shoddy job of conveying basically anything for a lot of it. Defining Skoll and Hati as 'not jedi' as they reference the opening of episode 1 and then showing a 'jedi' as some lady futzing around in an old tomb doing nothing in particular is a shockingly poor introduction to what's going on, to say nothing of the bizarre thrawn plot concept that kinda just hangs over the show not interacting with the events on screen

it's a bizarre contrast with rebels, which is the other big filoni vehicle with some broad similarities, except that show does a way better job of establishing the characters and their relationship with the empire in the pilot alone

The only difference between this show and Rebels is the actors get paid more and it's longer.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Stegosnaurlax posted:

The only difference between this show and Rebels is the actors get paid more and it's longer.

Don't forget the butts

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

maybealabia posted:

Don't forget the butts

I hope Ezra has a Nightwing butt and all his scenes are from behind.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
And Chopper’s sociopathy has been sanded down.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

maybealabia posted:

Don't forget the butts

Have you ever looked at animated Hera? She has Pixar mom level booty. The butts are a similarity, not a difference.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Snowmanatee posted:

And Chopper’s sociopathy has been sanded down.

He's Mary Poppins now, he'll get back into war crimes when they have a war to fight

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

LinkesAuge posted:

Can't wait for booty shots of Thrawn.

first shot of thrawn should be him relaxing on an extragalactic beach in a banana hammock

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Zedhe Khoja posted:

i can remember the slutty autistic bird lady who invented the deathstar

Now there's something I'd forgotten about

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I’m sure we’ll get a scene where Jacen is in immediate physical danger and a logging chainsaw explodes out of one of Chopper’s panels.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/donald-glovers-lando-project-movie-1235590985/

The Lando Disney+ TV show is now switching to a movie instead.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Zedhe Khoja posted:

sir i am well aware of the meat cube
the frog alien who dealt drugs
the sentient crystals who served a hutt jedi
chewbacca getting crushed by a moon

my stepgrandparents heard i liked reading and bought me a million lovely star wars books when i was in elementary school and i read them all and i can't remember anybody i went to school with but i can remember the slutty autistic bird lady who invented the deathstar

I don't remember anything from high school science but I can tell you from memory that the two major Hutt clans were the Desijic and Besadii and Jabba was considered a pervert by the other Hutts for his interest in humanoid women.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lando's Star Tours: The Movie.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Captain EO Lando

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Lando Does Cloud City

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Bespin' deez nuts

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Rochallor posted:

I don't remember anything from high school science but I can tell you from memory that the two major Hutt clans were the Desijic and Besadii and Jabba was considered a pervert by the other Hutts for his interest in humanoid women.

and they had a subspecies with legs that could sing addictive orgasm songs they used to enslave workers

the eu was so fuckin normal

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I’m still nervous that the giant hyperdrive ring is meant to transport a stripped down Death Star gun. You all are worried about the Vong, I’m worried Filoni might fugue out and “Oops all lovely Death Stars” us for 3 trilogies in a row.

I mean, hell, Jacen hasn’t even been kidnapped by a Dark Side cult, yet. We have so many repeat child abductions to get through before we can even talk about the Vong.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 15, 2023

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Rochallor posted:

Jabba forced the six-breasted dancer Yarna d'al' Gargan to gain weight and wear unsightly makeup so that she would resemble his mother. She was his favorite performer.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Marsupial Ape posted:

I’m still nervous that the giant hyperdrive ring is meant to transport a stripped down Death Star gun. You all are worried about the Vong, I’m worried Filoni might fugue out and “Oops all lovely Death Stars” us for 3 trilogies in a row.

I will laugh if we get Darksaber’d.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Honestly, it would not surprise me if the hyperspace ring is meant to dock around a gigantic Zeffo Orb of Doom. Just a great big version of the one Baleful Skull cut in half.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Servetus posted:

Have you ever looked at animated Hera? She has Pixar mom level booty. The butts are a similarity, not a difference.

yeah this is something else that's been on my mind and I didn't really know how to say it but MEW is a stick compared to animated Hera. That's not talking just about the butt either

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Maybe it's all a troll but it seems like a lot of people in this thread haven't seen a samurai movie, which this series is clearly a love-letter to.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Robot Style posted:

Jabba forced the six-breasted dancer Yarna d'al' Gargan to gain weight and wear unsightly makeup so that she would resemble his mother. She was his favorite performer.

If someone made a trivia game show where the contestant was given two of these that were fake and one real EU example, could anyone score a single point for naming the real one

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Marsupial Ape posted:

I mean, hell, Jacen hasn’t even been kidnapped by a Dark Side cult, yet. We have so many repeat child abductions to get through before we can even talk about the Vong.

It's for the Chimera.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

3 Action Economist posted:

It's for the Chimera.

I know, ok? Let a man dream.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Aces High posted:

yeah this is something else that's been on my mind and I didn't really know how to say it but MEW is a stick compared to animated Hera. That's not talking just about the butt either

Cartoon Hera also had Popeye arms

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

maybealabia posted:

Cartoon Hera also had Popeye arms

Spinach made her green

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

God loving no. I have a thing where I cant just watch, Jedi for example, I gotta watch the entire trilogy. Or in this case, all 9 movies. Plus Rogue One. But I skip Solo, cause it was trash.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

codo27 posted:

God loving no. I have a thing where I cant just watch, Jedi for example, I gotta watch the entire trilogy. Or in this case, all 9 movies. Plus Rogue One. But I skip Solo, cause it was trash.

To be fair, the cast was probably the best part of Solo (especially Donald Glover as Lando)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That's a weird decision. A Lando series felt like a good opportunity for properly eposodic storytelling. As great as Glover was I doubt the character has the sort of draw Disney wants for a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
They probably needed shorter production time with the strike