Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Hamelekim posted:

How do you filter which container stuff goes to when mixed? There doesn’t seem to be a filter for automation.

The resource bins are specific to types (raw, crafted, liquid, gas) and the transfer station sends them accordingly. That's it as far as automatic sorting goes. The bins end up holding a random mishmash of poo poo so you can't find anything specific as your bin count goes up, but it's considered one big pool for the crafting stations at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Feature request: I would like stairs in my house

Use the Nova Galactic bridge (cockpit) sold on Titan and assign Vasco as crew.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

skooma512 posted:

What's everyone been naming their ships?

My main one is "Lucy September", after a Dream Academy song.

First run my main ship was the Rockhopper, because it started out just hopping between space rocks. This run I'm still on the Frontier (I started anew instead of doing NG+, for better traits and stuff) but I'm thinking a combat ship called Skybreaker and a massive all-purpose baseship later, called Black Omen.

e; If we ever get space stations mine will be called Myria and if we get a personal mech mine will have the same name my mechs have had since like AC2; Heavensent.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 15, 2023

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
Can I name captured ships?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I DID IT. I MADE THE SPECIAL DRUGS. And somewhat surprisingly, it involved a lot of alien cum harvesting. With a Coachman.

Innovative Synthesis 1:

Innovative Synthesis 2:

Innovative Synthesis 3:

Google gave me a recommendation for the alien cum: just get to NG+ and find the merchant that sells rare poo poo lmao

Oh, and don't forget to harvest the weird rocks near each artifact!

Sumerian Telecom
Aug 27, 2022

The entire worldbuilding is so unbelievably lame. It's like not a single cool person works at Bethesda. Space snake god? Cowboy hat town? Everything is so golly gee wilikers.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

widespread posted:

Oh, and don't forget to harvest the weird rocks near each artifact!

That stuff also appears around the base of Gravitational Anomalies, which themselves populate the region around a Temple in some numbers. So just go look around those if you need more of the stuff.

Kaewan posted:

Can I name captured ships?

Yep, though I have no idea if you need to register them to do so.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
You would think I would be used to this bullshit by now in videogames. But I am still caught off guard by taking a generic job at level 9, and getting annihilated by a level 26 mission target surrounded by level 5 enemies in a level 15 system.

"Well, I can always go back and... Not do any cargo jobs because they are always asking for over a thousand free cargo capacity to pay me barely 3k" Sure money will be a nonissue later. But that is later.

EDIT: "Oh right, I have grenades!" *two damage* "...I am very lucky this AI is a coward wanting to hide behind cover instead of just coming out and slapping me to death" Oh boy they were worth 40 experience to kill instead of 20.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 15, 2023

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

space uncle posted:

I had a shitload of random companions on my ship because I kept picking up quests and not delivering them.

I had Sam and his daughter, Vasco, Sarah, Barrett, three miners I saved from an outpost, and then finally *Crimson Fleet Spoiler* Mathis because I finished the Lock pirate quest. So the entire group gets herded off my ship and into the stupid Prison Shuttle. We push for orbit as we escape the collapsing Lock base and every single dumbass voice line starts playing. How did you guys get onto this ship? Sam did you bring your daughter down to this super max prison infested by spiders and pirates?

It was like a god drat clown car.

Thats nothing. I have managed to stolen a ship withouth killing the original occupants, and they are all in the cockpit saluting each other all the time every time.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I hate how I have like 15 activities that just say "Talk to (Person)". Just from ambient conversations. I wish it told you a bit so I know if it's worth it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Named mind “Stargasm” because Mastodon is awesome and the name is too.

:emptyquote:

(I was listening to them yesterday!)

In other news, I think you can sometimes notice how NPC dialogues being so lazy. Sometimes you have 2 or 3 options:
-the first one, basically being a general yes/agreed/continue/accept, whatever.
-the second one, that also means the same but in a weird tone, or trying to sound like a smartass, or like a crazy person, it depends.
Well, several times I picked the first one but the answer I got sounded as I had picked the second line. I think they just wrote one possible reply to save time/effort, so from your possible replies, they picked the most unique option (the 2nd one) and wrote the reply to that.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 15, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What's the fastest way from NG+ to get a ship that can handle the fight in orbit around the final temple? Clear high-level PoIs and sell the weapons?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Legs Benedict posted:

it’s ok to like bad games as long as you’re not insane about it

Before people think I'm crazy, I think it's still a decent game, despite being the worst rpg Bethesda has done. It just that the previous one were even better.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

The Lone Badger posted:

What's the fastest way from NG+ to get a ship that can handle the fight in orbit around the final temple? Clear high-level PoIs and sell the weapons?

Lower the difficulty and your current ship will instantly be able to handle it. It's always doable on normal at least, with the constellation people assigned for their bonuses.

For just making money you can rob the neon security HQ (gun racks in the office and contraband locker) and sell what you get at the trade authority (buy back the guns and sell next door at neon tactical for fewer waits). Then go to Venus, wait for two hours (which is 200 universe hours) and when you go back to Neon everything will be respawned for you to do it again. Looting guns is also good, ideally while doing some kind of mission for the guaranteed mission money cause sometimes even the level 98 spacers have lovely 1900 credit guns.

gnoma fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Sep 15, 2023

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

question of the day: I'm putting together a crew, they need to be morally flexible.

I brought Mathis and Jessamine from the Crimson fleet - anyone else I should consider? Like they have to be kinda ok when I decide to redistribute wealth using means not sanctioned by a state entity... occasionally convince someone to shoot someone in the face or failing that, shooting them myself.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Turin Turambar posted:

Before people think I'm crazy, I think it's still a decent game, despite being the worst rpg Bethesda has done. It just that the previous one were even better.

I'm 100% with pretty much all your posts

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
My feelings on Starfield keep flip flopping. I think I need to do one of the faction quest lines, because the game is killing me with how dull the main quest is. Bethesda storylines were never the main attraction, but somehow they’ve managed to lower the bar. Story missions shouldn’t feel like homework.

And what were they thinking with the temple “activities”? There’s so much about this game that feels like a rough draft.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

And what were they thinking with the temple “activities”? There’s so much about this game that feels like a rough draft.

Like even ME Andromeda handled the kinda equivalent part of their game much much better.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been neglecting main quest and just doing the faction storylines and honestly they've been pretty interesting. I'm not a huge fan of the Freestar collective but the quest I'm on is actually making me interested in what's actually the big mystery there. It'll also be funny if it ends up with me taking down some incredibly powerful individuals for the sole reason of sending goons to some woman's farm, which was the motivation to start the whole investigation.

Sumerian Telecom
Aug 27, 2022

Sometimes when it has been a long time since a gummy faced eerily positive walking vacuous empty space of a "character" has said anything it gets pretty nice for a brief moment. At other times the blank stares and spooky optimism make it feel almost like a horror game.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I am repeatedly stepping into an accelerator beam to grind environmental damage for the Environmental Conditioning perk. This gave me brain damage. :downs:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

isndl posted:

This gave me brain damage. :downs:

Thread title?

As implemented, I think the skill challenges end up being an awful addition.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

I just did that fight earlier in the starborn starter ship for NG+. You can use the asteroids near by as cover and then take them one by one.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Like even ME Andromeda handled the kinda equivalent part of their game much much better.

The equivalent in NMS has you walking over panels in a big Darth Vader room that light up words or letters that gradually unlock the language of the relevant entity but also open up the big shiny orb macguffin. You need to step on X before it opens and you can walk on all of them if you care about unlocking the language sooner. It's one of my least favourite chores in NMS because it's just walking around an empty room basically and there's not a good route to get em all without backtracking. I think it's only marginally better than this one because you can't really miss stepping on a glowing circle on the ground and it goes faster overall.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Rinkles posted:

Thread title?

As implemented, I think the skill challenges end up being an awful addition.

Honestly I think it's spending points that ruin skills for me. Just having the challenges as locks would be better IMO, while still different enough from the TES do things to improve system. You could even keep the tiers, so You would still need some spread before getting to the end.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Actually Bethesda rpgs are bad and Starfield is better.

Yeah people will think I'm crazy for this but the writing and setting is largely improved. I don't know if there is any actual quality improvement, but every character having the personality of your most boring friend who works in HR is much more tolerable in a near future real world setting than the same in fantasy land with dragons and wizards.

I cannot remember a single character from FO3, Oblivion, Skyrim or FO4 who I cared about in any way (except for the robot detective he was cool). I went through the list of Skyrim companions and have no idea who any of them are except for Lydia because of memes. Like Sarah is boring but the bar is so low "annoying british lady who likes exploring space" still has more depth on them.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Hel posted:

Honestly I think it's spending points that ruin skills for me. Just having the challenges as locks would be better IMO, while still different enough from the TES do things to improve system. You could even keep the tiers, so You would still need some spread before getting to the end.

This would definitely feel better. Some of the challenges are a bit naff to do in an organic way OR by the time you've done them the use case for the unlock is no longer needed.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Sumerian Telecom posted:

The entire worldbuilding is so unbelievably lame. It's like not a single cool person works at Bethesda. Space snake god? Cowboy hat town? Everything is so golly gee wilikers.

quote:

I used to have this thing with Todd, because he was one of the ones that’s like, “Let’s not make it too weird.” So I’d bamboozle him. There was a period where I would actually draw two different versions of a monster — the one that was weird and that I wanted to be in the game, and then one that was loving crazy. And so I’d go to Todd, and I’m like, “OK, I think I’ve got the mid-level creature set.” And I’d show him a picture. He’d be like, “Nah, dude, that’s crazy.” Then I’d go back to my office and I would act like I was drawing something new, and I’d just come back with the original drawing of what I really wanted to be in there. Like, “Hey, is this what you were thinking?” And he’d be all, “Oh, yeah, that’s much better. That’s great.”

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Dear Bethesda please let me put an elevator or stairs in my ship instead of having to deal with these slow-rear end ladders that the crew keep blocking TIA

Gonna try finding that bridge with the stairs later, but that's still only 2 levels and I'd like to keep using the HopeTech cockpit

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The ladders would be 1000% more tolerable if the game let me pick where to place them (and doors between habs too) instead of having to either design my ship in such a way that only one ladder/door arrangement is possible or moving habs around randomly in hopes that one combination of rooms results in a sane, tolerable layout that doesn't delete any useful hab amenities

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm still flabbergasted at how bad the space combat is compared to stuff from much smaller studios

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Volte posted:

Kind of a bizarre take honestly. Mapping a brightness range onto the dynamic range of your monitor is a necessary part of rendering with any kind of realism and the only other way to do it would be to crush the dynamic range of the entire world onto what your monitor can display simultaneously. It's not a cheap rendering trick for realism, it's necessary for dark areas and bright areas to coexist.

(Edit: not to say it can't be implemented poorly like, say, adjusting the dynamic range drastically upon taking one step outside instead of using a more natural transition based on light level, but in general the effect isnt just an unnecessary trick)

I really like the LUTs though. I've experimented with turning them off or toning them down and I ended up going back. The neutral LUTs look so boring to me. The LUT doesn't come across well in screenshots embedded in webpages admittedly because of the sharp contrast between dynamic ranges, but when it takes up the whole screen, I think it really adds to the aesthetic. I did use SpecialK to enable HDR though, which makes a massive difference.
I know I'm late but just so you know the context I'm talking about, I'm very specifically talking about the transitions between light and dark, not the fact that they exists in specific volumes. I'm talking about being outside at noon in a video game, looking down at the ground, and having your entire screen brighten over the course of a full second, then looking up at the sky, and having your entire screen darken over the course of a full second. This is a very common thing and it's so very awful. At no point am I calling it a cheap trick, I'm just calling it something that way too many games do poorly as a means of simulating a human's eyeball pupil dilation speed. My eyeball already does that, I don't need a game to simulate it!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Yeah people will think I'm crazy for this but the writing and setting is largely improved. I don't know if there is any actual quality improvement, but every character having the personality of your most boring friend who works in HR is much more tolerable in a near future real world setting than the same in fantasy land with dragons and wizards.

I cannot remember a single character from FO3, Oblivion, Skyrim or FO4 who I cared about in any way (except for the robot detective he was cool). I went through the list of Skyrim companions and have no idea who any of them are except for Lydia because of memes. Like Sarah is boring but the bar is so low "annoying british lady who likes exploring space" still has more depth on them.

Fawkes was cool.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

counterpoint: morrowind was their best game and also the most rpg they ever did

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

SHISHKABOB posted:

Fawkes was cool.

As in "I could totally survive the lethal amounts of radiation in this room that ends the game, but plot demands the player die so I refuse to go in there" Fawkes?

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
time to see what todds been dreaming about for the last 25 years and immerse myself and become who i want to be

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

What do your parents do if you choose the trait where you don't have a tragic backstory? Is there anything cool or is it just a house with two people in it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Deformed Church posted:

What do your parents do if you choose the trait where you don't have a tragic backstory? Is there anything cool or is it just a house with two people in it.

This is Bethesda, what do you think?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Deformed Church posted:

I chose parents and "Pilgrim" back story and they were just regular old parents, but I found that refreshing. They were proud of me and the dad would kind of impose himself on Constellation in a way I found endearing.

I will say (quest spoilers) they would give me anxiety when really bad poo poo happened in New Atlantis. IIRC they absolutely had dialogue after the terrormorph attack. I don't think they said anything after The Hunter but I sort of said my pretend goodbyes and started living on my ship then, it wasn't fair for me to hang around a city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

traits are fun, and based on my selection, fairly well done. one area where i have no complaints.