Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
It took them over a year to put a texture on Cloud's neighbor's door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ojjeorago posted:

It took them over a year to put a texture on Cloud's neighbor's door.

Thus ruining the game tbh.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
A couple devs spoke to Inverse for an interview on Variant/Criterion dungeons. It's mostly about the challenges in how they're so different from both regular dungeons and 8-player raids and worth reading (it's fairly short), but here's a few things I thought worth mentioning separately.

quote:

Inverse: What has the player reception been like to Variant and Criterion dungeons? How has that reception shaped your future plans?

Battle Content Designer Masatoshi Ishikawa: [...] Criterion Dungeons were our first high-end content for smaller groups, and we received a lot of positive feedback from players who enjoyed tackling them with a party of friends. That said, the difficulty of Criterion Dungeons is comparable to an eight-player Savage raid, if not harder, so there were also comments that felt the current rewards aren’t motivating enough to attempt the content.

The rewards need to be determined very carefully in relation to rewards for other content, but we will continue deliberating on the idea to satisfy as many players as possible.

quote:

Inverse: With the varying difficulty and the branching paths of these dungeons, how much work does it take to get things “right?” How long are they typically in development?

Ishikawa: [...] We began development somewhere between 1 to 1.5 patches earlier than usual in order to build the new system, its branching paths, and the accompanying NPC’s animations.

Building the new system was a one-off task, but future Variant dungeons still have to be balanced for one to four participants, various different paths, and more, so they’d still require a lot more work than a standard four-player dungeon. The difference is especially apparent with background design, since the additional paths directly translate to more work to be done.

quote:

Inverse: How do you design the bosses for Variant and Criterion dungeons? How is it different from the boss design in standard dungeons?

Ishikawa: Designing bosses for Variant and regular dungeons involves the same overall process: We’re provided with the boss’s lore, which we use to rough out its main concept and then brainstorm its main mechanics. I’d say the main differences with Variant dungeons are planning out the branching paths and their associated mechanics, as well as creating mechanics that can be resolved regardless of party size.

Bosses are usually designed with only their lore in mind, so creating battle mechanics that were indirectly related to the boss, like turning a dial switch located elsewhere in the dungeon, proved to be a challenge for many of our staff.

[...]

It’s somewhat similar to designing eight-player raids in that we’re creating two separate difficulties, but variant dungeons are about as hard as a four-player dungeon whereas criterion dungeons are equivalent to Savage, so the difficulty gap between normal and Savage raids pales in comparison. Creating bosses for criterion dungeons required staff members who not only could retool Variant dungeon mechanics and resources for high-end content, but also keep the necessary development resources under control.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Did you know? If you tie in Frontline, everyone gets 6 tomes :shepface:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

thats real pvp

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So they're aware rewards for criterion suck but they're not going to fix them this patch cycle is what I'm hearing.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Honestly just ditch Criterion entirely and use those resources to make Variant even better

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Nah Criterion is fun as hell.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I love the Variant dungeons because it's cool content that my wife and I can tackle as just the two of us at our own pace.

There is an extreme lack of content for just two people. Almost everything is either solo, 4man, or 8man.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Whenever Square talks about a game not meeting targets you have to remember that their targets make no sense, as far back as the Tomb Raider reboot. For XVI their hopes were something along the lines of a third of the PS5’s entire user base.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Whenever Square talks about a game not meeting targets you have to remember that their targets make no sense, as far back as the Tomb Raider reboot. For XVI their hopes were something along the lines of a third of the PS5’s entire user base.

a whole 3 people

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

A tiny change that would make a huge psychological difference is to put chests after each Criterion boss. Don't even make it more tokens, split them bu between the chests and have only the last one have a chance of dropping the mount. That way when you're learning you get some reward for progress that doesn't finish.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

goblin week posted:

Did you know? If you tie in Frontline, everyone gets 6 tomes :shepface:

A draw is not a win.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
why exactly can't they make ilvl-appropriate gear a reward for Criterion? they're added months after savage tiers are added so the Devout Ones will have already gotten most of their gear (probably not weapons, but simply don't make weapons rewards) so i don't think that'd really cut into the feeling of accomplishment, especially if the comments in that article are true and they consider it as difficult as savage, if not moreso. even just offering accessories seems like a good repeatable option for people to gear up alt classes.

i mean i'd be happy with other options as well, that's hardly the only one, but if they're really struggling it feels like accessories are an easy way to get people to do repeat runs.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

doing the criterion dungeons blind with friends is some of the most fun i had in the game, and im glad they said dawntrail will have more of them

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

a cartoon duck posted:

doing the criterion dungeons blind with friends is some of the most fun i had in the game, and im glad they said dawntrail will have more of them

they're v. cool

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Varients are pretty fun blind too. I'm not sure why there's a rush to look up the 15 paths and then speedrun the whole thing.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Varients are pretty fun blind too. I'm not sure why there's a rush to look up the 15 paths and then speedrun the whole thing.

My method has been to do each route once or twice and then look up what do to for the rest of them. It works pretty well.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

My method has been to do each route once or twice and then look up what do to for the rest of them. It works pretty well.

Yeah same. That way I feel like I did something but I'm also not bashing my head against a wall

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Mostly I used the YT guides since it's the fastest way towards the rewards :shobon:

Also, I stopped right after I went back to my daily routines.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I've done all routes blind with friends and we always have a blast.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
All blind is great, especially when you get to the non obvious ones that require a bit of thinking and reading the endings.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Countblanc posted:

why exactly can't they make ilvl-appropriate gear a reward for Criterion? they're added months after savage tiers are added so the Devout Ones will have already gotten most of their gear (probably not weapons, but simply don't make weapons rewards) so i don't think that'd really cut into the feeling of accomplishment, especially if the comments in that article are true and they consider it as difficult as savage, if not moreso. even just offering accessories seems like a good repeatable option for people to gear up alt classes.

i mean i'd be happy with other options as well, that's hardly the only one, but if they're really struggling it feels like accessories are an easy way to get people to do repeat runs.

Nothing more than guesses on my end, but I think there's a couple things at play here.

First, is that Raid sets have something that ties them together across each division, at least loosely. They usually try to have that 'something' tie into the source Raid aesthetically in at least a tangential manner*, and that wouldn't play nice with how they're approaching Criterion dungeons.

From a gameplay perspective it feels okay to get a piece of Ascension armor from Mount Rokkon, but from a lore or immersion point of view it's really awkward.

(Edit: I guess I should add here, just for completion's sake, that adding a whole extra design of armor sets just for Variant/Criterion almost certainly isn't feasible. It would be a significant increase in dev hours. Maybe it could be an option after they've gone through all the currently existing items and updated them for the graphics update. Maybe. Even then, I'm not expecting them to be done with that until 7.4 at the earliest if they do one expansion every patch.)

Accessories are a good alternative, though, I agree. Those are often just retextures anyways, and there's enough out there they'd probably be able to find something that'd fit without requiring a ton of item design overhead.

*Genji armor in Deltascape is about as far removed as they'll go, and even that still tangentially fits. It's a raid tier entirely built around references, and Genji/Samurai is about as referential FF item as you can get. As for how it looks, it's not like they aren't going to make it look Japanese, as that's the style it's been depicted as since FFII.

Second is patch timing. In this expansion we've had them come out in 6.25 and 6.45 so far, which have both been 8-player Raid patches, but we're also getting one in 6.55. What gear should that drop? It'd be a bit awkward to have Alliance Raid gear come from something much more difficult, but it makes even less sense for it to give out gear from a previous patch that's outdated.

That said, this isn't an insurmountable issue. In fact, accessories once again pop up, since Alliance Raids don't drop those. They could even have them at the Augmented ilvl, save people having to do that step in exchange for the jump in difficulty.

Again, these are all just guesses and speculation, but I am curious what, if anything, they settle on doing. It probably won't be until Dawntrail, though it'd be nice to be pleasantly surprised.

Onean fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 15, 2023

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

OhFunny posted:

A draw is not a win.

Except for achievement/challenge log progress and your W/LR, where it counts as a win :eng101:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
They should make Eureka 2 (or 3), where it's the exact same as the original Eureka but it's mirror flipped now.

Please pay me for my brilliant ideas

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The easy answer is that Criterion Dungeons should award tomestone upgrade tokens or coins to trade for upgrade tokens, like Alliance Raids do.

It speeds up a specific part of gear acquisition halfway into a patch that the hardcore raiders will already have 8 weeks to do and the casual audience will get next patch.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 15, 2023

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Onean posted:

That said, this isn't an insurmountable issue. In fact, accessories once again pop up, since Alliance Raids don't drop those. They could even have them at the Augmented ilvl, save people having to do that step in exchange for the jump in difficulty.

HW alliance raid series had an extra weekly source of accessories with the Ultima Weapon quest, so it's not unprecedented that there be three sets of endgame gear.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Okay so when do we get this as a mount?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the wind fire wheels are pretty close

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Up to WHM 87 and I think I'm over my healer anxiety but I also think I hate playing healer.

See, when I'm dps or tank I focus on doing the best I can and self-improvement. Someone's playing badly oh well. But on a healer I notice every single mistake they make because I'm the one who has to patch them up afterwards. There is no "oh the BLM is spamming sleep at 83 I'll just dps twice as hard and hope somebody notices I'm trying to carry this" because I'm the one who has to keep the tank alive for twice as long as either of our cooldowns are prepared to do. I don't want to be this person. I have a very critical personality and I cope with this by aiming it inward, I can't do a role whose whole thing is watching what others are doing.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It is the healer's burden to notice that there isn't a Summoner in the party but a Ruin Mage Who Won't Even Summon Carbuncle.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hogama posted:

It is the healer's burden to notice that there isn't a Summoner in the party but a Ruin Mage Who Won't Even Summon Carbuncle.

i reported one of those the other night

it didn't really matter, since it was syrcus tower, but they were so snotty about it

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

OhFunny posted:

A draw is not a win.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I barely even know what the criterion dungeons are, the party finder section for them is either empty 99% of the time or there's a group asking for ilvl I can't get (650).

But since they require a 75 minute guide they are probably not the midcore content aimed at me that the game is sorely lacking anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Whenever Square talks about a game not meeting targets you have to remember that their targets make no sense, as far back as the Tomb Raider reboot
the tomb raider reboot sold very well but also somehow cost as much to make as a gta game, while selling approximately 10% as much. thats why they said it didnt meet their expectations. because its budget was insanely bloated.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also ff16 actually did sell about a third of the ps5's install base in japan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr. Neutron posted:

But since they require a 75 minute guide they are probably not the midcore content aimed at me that the game is sorely lacking anyway.
criterion dungeons do not require a 75 minute guide

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Endorph posted:

criterion dungeons do not require a 75 minute guide

Criterion is the hard mode savage difficulty version which whilst 75 minutes of guide is still too long, do potentially require a guide as they are intended to be savage content for 4 players.

Variant dungeons do not, and can be done by 1-4 people pretty easily.

It's not helpfully named either way. But the basic idea is Variant is midcore content for 1-4 players. Criterion is savage content for strictly 4 players. Criterion(savage) is the same content with a strict time limit and no revives.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Having gone through Another Sil'dihn Subterrane with some equally middle aged friends where three of us (including me) not having done hardmode raid stuff in at least a decade (and in WoW) two things about the experience stood out to me.
  • The fights were fun as hell to learn and even satisfying to do once you learned them.
  • The rewards for doing the place were utterly insulting.
The only reward you get for doing a criterion at the moment is the single chest after the final boss, and said chest gives you effectively nothing worthwhile unless the throne luckily drops... and it never did for us. You don't even get a title or something to show you've done it despite including one is the most trivial possible reward to add. When you're poking at something as an adult and it takes two or three months to get through because you can manage maybe 2-3 hours a week and your not as quick to respond as you were twenty years ago it's just... frustrating? Especially when you're at that point where you can mostly but not quite clear the place. I mean there's the satisfaction of the job well done and other true but trite platitudes would it have killed them to at least throw some token tomestones onto the bosses or something? Save you an EXDR or three a week if you can clear it? No? gently caress, I could just buy the mount off the exchange if I wanted it that badly. :geno:

After clearing rear end we just kind of... collectively gave up. Didn't even need to talk about it, all four of us basically felt the same way; "this was fun but we have nothing to show for it and it's not worth the effort we put into it compared to any other content in the game". If we instead had found four more people and poked at actual savage raids we'd have weapons and gear and whatnot for the effort. Since Square doesn't seem to want to adjust the non-existent reward structure for Another Mount Rokkon I wouldn't be surprised to see maybe a third or less as many people complete it as did Sil'dah. The normal variants are great, the criterion bosses are incredibly well done, and I really want to see and do more of it but they need to slap whoever designed the reward structure.

Asimo fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Yeah there's a reason criterion is popular on week of release and then dead, whereas savage raiding is still active months after the tier released. People like getting shinies when they kill bosses.