Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

This is barely even English, does he not even vet his botnets anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Halisnacks posted:

… Although typing it out, I guess you’re not talking about Tate, Peterson, etc., and rather are talking about their fans. Yes: the material conditions of their lives need to be improved, and cash and mental health care are probably the #1 and #2 responses to that. But they also need some role models - they are obviously yearning for “wisdom”and finding it in the wrong places - and for whatever reason it seems there is a vacuum of non-grifter, non-reactionary role models for feckless young men.

Indeed, however when it comes to role models suspicion is that young men latch on to Tate type characters not due to a lack of good male role models in media. Boys like them because they’re bullies and as bullies their material offers a charge of excitement and appeal that no sensible role model saying sane, reasonable things ever could. Preachy, goody two shoes celebrities are kinda uncool.

If anything I think the vacuum that theyre filling is from real life. As our society kills off free time, third spaces and the ability to just hang out irl. The best remedy to indoctrination from online is having real friends say “wow that sounds like nonsense wtf”, seeing how actual people have relationships instead of getting it all from incel forums where people rank celebrities, and ideally mixed genders in your social circle.

A guy I (peripherally) know who got alt right radicalised it happened after he became an ex-pat in Asia and in isolation from the cultural barrier, and in his darker moments he admitted that he went along with partly the online Nazis were his last remaining friends.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 15, 2023

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
That's part of it, sure, but the seeking approval thing isn't a joke and is probably a bigger driver than even their racism. It's the kind of thing where it's impossible to fully grasp how heavy it weighs unless you come from a severely broken home

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Further Reading posted:

Wasn't there some drama about him greenwashing or something like that?

Yes, they did get accused of Greenwashing Bill Gates as a few of their videos were funded by the Bill and Melinda Foundation

They've made this video as a general reply to the drama
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x-i9z617z4

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Football? Did you say football?

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

When it comes to <insert person> at Epstein/Maxwell function, I think it's pretty loving important to note that most of the people who went there weren't aware of the sexual assaults - and even fewer participated. I think it's very convenient for the ones who are responsible that they have thousands of random celebrities who've gone to their events and parties who can defect the attention away from them

I don't like Tyson, but his being at a panel discussion in 2014 isn't proof of anything, no matter who hosted

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

PhazonLink posted:

sometimes i wonder if we had UBI and a bunch of other good stuff, would there still be a niche of semi neets raging about dumb poo poo?

the answer is probably still yes, but surelly it would be a lower amount.

Every single non-white person could be exterminated, placed in a perpetual torture machine, or enslaves as per the tastes of the racist in question. Every single woman reduced to a live-in sex slave, caregiver, or as per the non-whites subjected to whatever deranged punishment tickles the misogynist's fancy. They could have every single material desire satisfied. Every single grotesque and perverse want met. They would still be unhappy and entitled.

Some of them are fascists who simply delight in cruelty and for whom no amount of human misery will ever be enough. Others are instead - or as well - essentially going through an existential crisis. They believe, wrongly, that sex or material wealth will give their life meaning. Too cowardly to seek or make meaning for themselves, but also too arrogant to accept their own inadequacy they lash out at the universe - and particularly at the scapegoats others have provided - as a way of staving off final nihilistic surrender.

Some people are genuinely fascists or bigots, but for a lot of them also it's less about genuine ideals or psychopathy and just a dangerous and pathetic form of existential dread. They can never be satisfied because the only way to fill the emptiness they feel is to grow as a person and welp.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Considering what happened to Tony hsieh it makes sense people around him put him on constant drug checks but I suspect they just ask a handler and then smile in satisfaction of a job well done

Lonnie is too stupid to use his obscene wealth to get a piss mule and continue partying with the hard stuff :lol:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I just introduced my 11 year old son to MST3K and while he was mostly being polite about it, when I showed him a picture of Hank Jr. in relation to this movie, he genuinely found it funny.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Sep 15, 2023

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Mistle posted:

Lonnie is too stupid to use his obscene wealth to get a piss mule and continue partying with the hard stuff :lol:

Maybe everyone he asked turned him down.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Upset I missed Polytopia chat because it allows me to post my personal favorite Musk comment of all time

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1584537377837490177

something about "a mere 8x8 grid" is just so loving funny. if it was 10x10? 15x15? Perhaps that could entertain the mind of the greatest thinker of our time. But 8x8?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

tote up a bags posted:

Upset I missed Polytopia chat because it allows me to post my personal favorite Musk comment of all time

something about "a mere 8x8 grid" is just so loving funny. if it was 10x10? 15x15? Perhaps that could entertain the mind of the greatest thinker of our time. But 8x8?

Elon wouldn't play anything simpler than this.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Anders posted:

When it comes to <insert person> at Epstein/Maxwell function, I think it's pretty loving important to note that most of the people who went there weren't aware of the sexual assaults

Anyone with more than £20,000 in their savings are either nonces or nonce enablers

This is a fact

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

tote up a bags posted:

Hahaha, I tried to tech rush in chess but it didn't work, 0/10 game do not recommend.

And don't get me started on the most powerful piece being a woman.

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
Also blacks and whites play by the same rules

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

tote up a bags posted:

Rock Paper Scissors? A game for imbeciles! I only play the far superior RPS101!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

rowkey bilbao posted:

Also blacks and whites play by the same rules

After game is in progress yes, but white starts with privilege
:ignorance:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Philonius posted:

And don't get me started on the most powerful piece being a woman.

Until the 15th century that piece was the king's minister and it could only move 1 or 2 squares diagonally. This so called "modern" chess is just woke propaganda that broke the game with an overpowered female piece :colbert:

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Elman posted:

Until the 15th century that piece was the king's minister and it could only move 1 or 2 squares diagonally. This so called "modern" chess is just woke propaganda that broke the game with an overpowered female piece :colbert:

It's even more woke that she is rarely depicted as feminine!

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Some people are genuinely fascists or bigots, but for a lot of them also it's less about genuine ideals or psychopathy and just a dangerous and pathetic form of existential dread. They can never be satisfied because the only way to fill the emptiness they feel is to grow as a person and welp.

It is not easy to grow as a person. We should make it easier to do it and to grow in a pro-social direction.

I would also suggest that embracing Peterson or Tate is ultimately a (profoundly misguided) hopeful act. Those guys are marketing something as self-help, and people seek self-help when they hope to change and grow. Who is explicitly offering good advice to young men as an alternative to the awful grifters?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Just tormenting my wife medically and psychologically, and being proud of my lack of empathy:shepface:

Holy poo poo this is supposed to be a glowing take on this guy. What an absolute loving sociopath

He's like that kid who sends people to the Cornfield in Twilight Zone

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

Just tormenting my wife medically and psychologically, and being proud of my lack of empathy:shepface:

Holy poo poo this is supposed to be a glowing take on this guy. What an absolute loving sociopath

He's like that kid who sends people to the Cornfield in Twilight Zone

Okay. Woah. That kid could actually act.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

A Goon With £19,999 in savings posted:

Anyone with more than £20,000 in their savings are either nonces or nonce enablers

This is a fact

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

World's best poker player

World's smartest rocket engineer

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

gently caress. This sounds like a few former bosses I've had.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

kazil posted:

A genius inventor overestimating the power of epoxy??

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Lol. Didn't read the "working all night for innovative ideas" thing. JFC. He really sounds like a former boss.

What I'm asking is when is Musk opening a brewery?

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Holy poo poo. Was told by actual experts it wouldn't work. Overruled them. It failed immediately.

This is "innovative".

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

tote up a bags posted:

Husk couldn't figure out a Rubik cube to save his life.

I can't either, but I've not spent half my life building a myth of being one of the world's great geniuses, so checkmate.

Which I guess is a word that Elon doesn't understand either since he thinks chess and Polytopia are comparable.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Is his 8x8 comment on chess?
I bet he's dogshit at chess. No more than 900 rating.

Vulpine Complex
Apr 13, 2007

kazil posted:

loving hell. The way this is written he's clearly supposed to be some "never back down, you'll win eventually!" case, but it's literally his limitless wealth allowing him to try again, over and over and loving over until he finally lucks out.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I have an innovative idea for a ship made of cardboard and cello tape. It will be fully autonomous and not require a crew.

Give me billions please.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

kazil posted:

The poker poo poo is insane because it's trying to make him sound like some risk taking savant, but he's just a complete loving idiot.

Like how many chips did he lose in those hands he kept going all in on till he won? Because sure you can win a hand going all in, but that could because your opponents have poo poo cards and know it, so they fold early and the pot that hand is trash.

Like holy poo poo he's such a mark, and he's too stupid to realize he is.

If I was playing poker with him I would keep padding his ego too, "Wow Elon you are such a risky edgy boi, you sure are amazing at this!" so you can just bleed him dry. Amazing how this is trying to be portrayed as genius.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 15, 2023

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I can't imagine being that engineer - putting so much emotional weight into something that you end up shouting with your boss, relenting, wasting everyone's time doing the repair, and having it immediately fail, delaying everything by months at a time, and the shitstain just shrugging it off like it's nothing. smash cut 15 years later it's used as an anecdote to showcase his brilliance in some weird loving twisted (financial) might-is-right type paper thin logic? gently caress.

God loving damnit I loving hate this guy so loving much.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

kazil posted:

So do you think he actually started off saying epoxy glue, or do you think he just said "Can't you just glue it back together?" and the engineers had to say "No, no glue will work" as Elon asked "What about Krazy glue? Or gorilla glue? Elmer's glue?" No I will not assume he is smart enough to know about epoxy at the start. A wise man knows to listen to the advice of experts, Elon gets a headache when they try to explain "The servers are too heavy for the floor".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Hundred percent. He read a post about "heal sluts" and demanded she do it.

He's an adult rich man who acts like a prepubescent boy. So just imagine what a 12 year old would do with unlimited resources and boop you got musk.

again what i find funny is how boring and childish he is. like i have random weird hobbies(commisioning art, buying weird art, buying weird rear end merch based off weird poo poo,history) that if i had his money, id probably end up building a museum in my house. not to mention cool cosplay poo poo. meanwhile this dude just forces his gf to do this poo poo. like gently caress. its loving lol that so many rich weird chuds have such poo poo taste. i dont know why musks shallow bullshit pisses me off so much, like their are much much much worse things about him but like gently caress. meanwhile, ill probably blow part of my bonus on this.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

tote up a bags posted:

This reads like a post that someone like Pipegoon would have been probed or banned for in mid '00s- era SA; no joke. "Only the finest gentlemen play intellectual games like Polytopia over noob poo poo like chess".

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This reads like a post that someone like Pipegoon would have been probed or banned for in mid '00s- era SA; no joke. "Only the finest gentlemen play intellectual games like Polytopia over noob poo poo like chess".

Chess is baby game.
Also chess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spxAalnevac

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

And then he would drop fast it as soon as he lost bad once. Which happened when Grimes beat Elon at Polytopia. "I cannot lose! I'm no loser, this game just sucks," claims the IRL Tony Stark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Elon "Two Shields" Musk