Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I grew up knowing nothing but smart phones with internet access and it’s always been funny to me how people will sad nostalgic about the pre smartphone days. Phones rock. I still read books and lie the outdoors and poo poo but I have the entire collective of human knowledge at my fingertips, I can talk to loved ones whenever I feel like it, I have music and books constantly without having to haul anything around on the bus or whatever, te just fantastic.

Reminds me of how covid led to morons wishing they lived before germ theory. Yeah drat times were better when the doctor would deliver a kid right after finishing an autopsy. Love to die of sepsis. Kids these days never even dying of dysentery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I grew up knowing nothing but smart phones with internet access and it’s always been funny to me how people will sad nostalgic about the pre smartphone days. Phones rock. I still read books and lie the outdoors and poo poo but I have the entire collective of human knowledge at my fingertips, I can talk to loved ones whenever I feel like it, I have music and books constantly without having to haul anything around on the bus or whatever, te just fantastic.

Reminds me of how covid led to morons wishing they lived before germ theory. Yeah drat times were better when the doctor would deliver a kid right after finishing an autopsy. Love to die of sepsis. Kids these days never even dying of dysentery.

Rip Semmelweis

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Adventures of Hannity Bear

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Sounds like someone who never got the joy of memorizing all of the components in the shampoo bottle while you were pooping to me.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

yep all guys growing up in the insulae in Rome were experts at bushcraft

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

people expecting me to be reachable at all times sucks and i don't like it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yep all guys growing up in the insulae in Rome were experts at bushcraft
St Paul seemed to believe so :quagmire:

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

World Famous W posted:

people expecting me to be reachable at all times sucks and i don't like it

this is definitely the part that i miss the most. when i was a teen and even into a lot of college if someone was out (or if i was out) it was basically "out of sight out of mind" and that was kinda nice.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I mostly prefer it now, but I definitely miss the days when it wasn't expected that I'd be reachable at all times. It all started with the AOL Buddy List letting folks know I was online, went downhill from there.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The miracle of the telephone, though, is that one can just not pick up. If someone keeps pestering you gently caress em, or it’s your workplace when you’re not on the clock in which place, well, lmao

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
yeah, and i could also do that with a land line without the expectation from others

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I miss when my brain worked and I blame phones.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The miracle of the telephone, though, is that one can just not pick up. If someone keeps pestering you gently caress em, or it’s your workplace when you’re not on the clock in which place, well, lmao

yes you can, but the societal expectation has changed, and that's what some of us are lamenting.

like my kid will send me a text when i'm out and if i don't answer within a few minutes i get bombarded with texts and a call until i acknowledge her - whereas when i was a kid when my mom went out running errands it was just expected that you wouldn't actually know exactly where she is and couldn't get a hold of her until she got back or checked in.

you can substitute whoever for my kid, but the expectations are that you are pretty much always reachable and that has had knock on effects as to what is considered "polite" or "correct" with how readily you are supposed to respond.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

if i'm spending more than 5 minutes thinking about and answering a question, or the question is about anything other than something unclear in my handoff notes, being asked to me directly by the machinist on the next shift whom i confused, i'm talking to the shopfloor supervisor about my rates for On Call

it's supposed to be functionally impossible for a machinist to take their work home with them, this is one of the things i like about the field

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
The general trend is that technologies of convenience go from helpful to necessary as expectations ratchet up to cancel out the benefits, whether smart phones or washing machines or cars or whatever.

In theory increased specialization would be a net positive but in practice both the conveniences and the expectations are so laden with capitalist grift that it becomes a net negative.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

aBagorn posted:

yes you can, but the societal expectation has changed, and that's what some of us are lamenting.

like my kid will send me a text when i'm out and if i don't answer within a few minutes i get bombarded with texts and a call until i acknowledge her - whereas when i was a kid when my mom went out running errands it was just expected that you wouldn't actually know exactly where she is and couldn't get a hold of her until she got back or checked in.

you can substitute whoever for my kid, but the expectations are that you are pretty much always reachable and that has had knock on effects as to what is considered "polite" or "correct" with how readily you are supposed to respond.

That’s like the exact opposite of my experience- I basically haven’t picked up an unknown number in a decade. My wife and I will literally text to say what’s up are you busy or can I call you. Meanwhile my mother and aunts will drop real life conversations for every single dang call, and sit there chatting even if it’s the middle of a restaurant or something

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I picked up a call from an unknown number the other day and it just so happened to be about something medically important. I was shocked. I looked around for signs I had traveled backwards through time. A phone call? My God.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That’s like the exact opposite of my experience- I basically haven’t picked up an unknown number in a decade. My wife and I will literally text to say what’s up are you busy or can I call you. Meanwhile my mother and aunts will drop real life conversations for every single dang call, and sit there chatting even if it’s the middle of a restaurant or something

i'm not talking about unknown numbers though. i'm literally talking about family and friends.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Animal-Mother posted:

I picked up a call from an unknown number the other day and it just so happened to be about something medically important. I was shocked. I looked around for signs I had traveled backwards through time. A phone call? My God.

I got a medically important call recently.

Just a voice saying "I have the antidote."

I probably should call them back.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I mean this in the nicest way but it sounds like some of you need to have some conversations with friends and family about boundaries and expectations of immediate responses

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Brawnfire posted:

The Adventures of Hannity Bear

I loving wish.

Seriously though, what a sweet, adorable picture. An innocent child committing an act of torture. Just like in the bible.

I taught my autistic son the ancient of art of torturing people at a very young age by buying him an Evil Knievel stunt cycle.

We destroyed Evil.

Together.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

do they think that germs dont exist pre germ theory? thats not how reality works.

like there's a great science quote that science / reality doesn't go away just because you want it to

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Elephant Ambush posted:

I mean this in the nicest way but it sounds like some of you need to have some conversations with friends and family about boundaries and expectations of immediate responses

Yeah I don’t get it. When I get texts or calls from people I don’t want to answer right then or can’t answer right then then you know what I do? I just go on with my day. Nobody worthwhile has blown up my phone because I didn’t answer within 5 minutes. If it’s your own kid doing that then I dunno, use your adult words to tell them to cut it out?

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

I kinda want to make that now

I hope that's not sweet jello though eugh

Good news, the 60s is apparently when Jell-O had the celery, mixed veggie, seasoned tomato and italian salad flavors!

Terrible news, the fact the box says six flavors and not four makes me think this one was made with lime!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Pogonodon posted:

Good news, the 60s is apparently when Jell-O had the celery, mixed veggie, seasoned tomato and italian salad flavors!

Terrible news, the fact the box says six flavors and not four makes me think this one was made with lime!

But celery doesn't taste like anything?

All I know is that maybe 60s America could have grabbed the concept of properly cooked tofu out of east Asia while they were running all over the drat place in that area.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

Really? To me it tastes and smells quite strongly of celery

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

Celery has a taste and that taste is horrible:colbert:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

CuddleCryptid posted:

All I know is that maybe 60s America could have grabbed the concept of properly cooked tofu out of east Asia while they were running all over the drat place in that area.

Celery varies greatly depending on where it's grown in my experience. California celery is relatively mild and sweet flavored so it mostly adds some crunch to salads and stuff, while Florida and Michigan celery has a strong bitter flavor that works better in soups and stews. But both are generally in the same category as cucumber where it's basically crunchy water but adds more flavor than you'd expect.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I thought non-voice communications were acceptable as asynchronous nowadays. Like if someone sends me a text or dm on discord, I can not respond for a day or two and when I do, no one is angry. The only time when there needs to be an expectation of immediate response is when the question demands it, like "do you want me to buy something from the store, I'll be there in 15 min".

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

I mean maybe but also if you are working the overwhelming fear of getting fired or yelled at for not picking up your phone is hard to break.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
1950s fridge jello food crimes are worth it when a bunch of icebox cake recipes also came out it

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/roguewarrior24/status/1654628663873372160?s=46

“I am bad at media literacy.”

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
How the hell does that idiot watch a movie with a fairly lengthy scene about a lesbian being condemned to experimentation and death for being gay and think yep, definitely my team

is what I was going to say, but then I remembered they're really, really good at ignoring most of a message and walking away with their beliefs reaffirmed. I have to wonder how exactly these people's brains work. Like hearing the "terrorists, Muslims, immigrants, homosexuals... disease-ridden degenerates. They had to go!" line. Do they ignore it outright the first time, do they hear it, agree with it, realize it's the bad guy and delete it from their brain immediately, do they hear it, agree with it and only delete the part about who said it, like what's going on in that mess of a brain?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

The Islamic Shock posted:

How the hell does that idiot watch a movie with a fairly lengthy scene about a lesbian being condemned to experimentation and death for being gay and think yep, definitely my team

Excuse me for stating the obvious, but: Because that's what they want?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Antigravitas posted:

Excuse me for stating the obvious, but: Because that's what they want?

Well, in the view of the FB post and how it's being interpreted, they're the people being hauled away because they're defying the expectation, i.e., they're not vaccinated/masking/leaving the slightest bit of social distance

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The Islamic Shock posted:

is what I was going to say, but then I remembered they're really, really good at ignoring most of a message and walking away with their beliefs reaffirmed. I have to wonder how exactly these people's brains work. Like hearing the "terrorists, Muslims, immigrants, homosexuals... disease-ridden degenerates. They had to go!" line. Do they ignore it outright the first time, do they hear it, agree with it, realize it's the bad guy and delete it from their brain immediately, do they hear it, agree with it and only delete the part about who said it, like what's going on in that mess of a brain?

It's the latter.
They cherry pick the parts they want to hear, project it onto who they want to hear it from, and smooth over the blanks.

It's the same reason they can watch Star Wars and claim that THEY are the plucky rebels fighting against the evil empire while sizing themselves for Stormtrooper boots.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Or how right wingers are constantly being surprised when they figure out that charming band Rage Against the Machine they like is, uh, “woke”

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

DominoKitten posted:

Or how right wingers are constantly being surprised when they figure out that charming band Rage Against the Machine they like is, uh, “woke”

Y'know, thinking about it, I'm thinking that right-wingers thought Rage was on their side because Clinton was in office when some of their big hits dropped. Like, Evil Empire released in spring of 96.
Obviously Rage had to be on their side, because they were singing about how the government sucks when a Dem was in office

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
They say Rage is now part of machine because they support vaccines and masks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

JGdmn posted:

They say Rage is now part of machine because they support vaccines and masks.

How the mighty have fallen.