Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Good parts like Sure Start, which ken plans to scrap as too communist.
Massive massive return on investment too.

Like it's one of the ones we have decades of data on thanks to the HighScope Perry Preschool Project.

It has never been about saving money though.

e: The 49th G7 summit was held this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Gort posted:

Yeah, what the gently caress.

Replying to a random link in the chain rather than you personally.

But is it not to avoid the thing in the linked article? Where the kids was in trouble for buying a non branded skirt from the wrong supplier? So like ok they can insist on the supplier for 3 branded items, but everything else can be got from Primark or whatever rather than through the approved supplier. Like trousers and skirts don't usually have logos on them.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Tesseraction posted:

Good parts like Sure Start, which ken plans to scrap as too communist.

the UK definitely exists in a space simultaneously between 'increasingly adverse environment to having and raising children' and 'wtf not enough children economy will collapse'

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The frisbee dog meme but "no, no child support, only have kids"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is why you get all the great replacement conspiracy theories. People can generally see that "you need at least 2.1 children per fertile woman to keep the population replaced" and "you are only allowed 2 children" and put two and two together, but then end up at "globalist neomarxists want to replace all the children with immigrants who will harvest our adrenochrome" because the alternative of "kids take decades to be economically active and we've forgotten how to plan more than half a leadership cycle in advance and the papers are mean to us when we try to do anything" somehow sounds even more absurd.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

School uniforms are dumb, just like calling your teachers by their last name and feel like a remnant of some Victorian poo poo. The only reason I've ever heard for them is 'stops bullying based on having cheap clothes' which never happens because kids can get different shoes or phones or backpacks or notebooks or that kids know which areas are the "rough" areas to live in.

My school uniform was literally 'plain shirt or jumper with the school logo ironed onto it' which is as inoffensive as you can get with a school uniform and it was still dumb.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Nah I like the idea of uniforms. Takes away one aspect of peer pressure as a kid, they have enough of them, they don't need more.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'm glad they didn't have uniforms when I was in school. Or at least everyone ignored it so they couldn't enforce it, short of the ban on football shirts outside of PE.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

It’s extremely simple to have a uniform without having “you must buy these precise trousers from this one particular shop who slip the headmaster a very nice backhander every year”

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

uniforms are fine but shouldnt be anything more than 'here's the criteria: white shirt, black trousers, navy jumper - no visible branding' instead of insisting that it come from specific approved suppliers

e: also blazers and ties are stupid as hell, why do children need to be made to wear them

kecske fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Sep 15, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mega Comrade posted:

Nah I like the idea of uniforms. Takes away one aspect of peer pressure as a kid, they have enough of them, they don't need more.

I think if this was true everyone wouldn't be so happy for non uniform days and I wouldn't have attended mine in a tracksuit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mega Comrade posted:

That's patently not what happens, though? You let kids dress how they want, the poor kid gets mocked for not being able to afford nice clothes. You make everyone wear uniform to take that away, and you get this story where the poor kid is being mocked for not being able to afford the official uniform.

The issue is not what the kids have on their backs. Kids are little shits, there will always be peer pressure. The real issue is one of inequality of social status and wealth.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mega Comrade posted:

Should be like in army. You get one handed to you when you join. You give it back when you leave. The same clothes get passed from generation to another, repaired on the way.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The countries without uniform requirements don't have big movements demanding uniforms to relieve peer pressure. I think uniforms are just a matter of inertia really.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If your school uniform involves a blazer that’s basically child abuse

Stop conditioning children to grow up to be suit cunts

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

This is why you get all the great replacement conspiracy theories. People can generally see that "you need at least 2.1 children per fertile woman to keep the population replaced" and "you are only allowed 2 children" and put two and two together,

You mean they put two and two point one together

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

kecske posted:

uniforms are fine but shouldnt be anything more than 'here's the criteria: white shirt, black trousers, navy jumper - no visible branding' instead of insisting that it come from specific approved suppliers

e: also blazers and ties are stupid as hell, why do children need to be made to wear them

They seem to manage fine on the continent without specific school uniforms

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nenonen posted:

Should be like in army. You get one handed to you when you join. You give it back when you leave. The same clothes get passed from generation to another, repaired on the way.
And it goes pink by the time you're in upper year.

Microplastics posted:

You mean they put two and two point one together
:hmmyes:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Asia has the right idea when it comes to school uniforms

None of this mini-me banker shite

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

forkboy84 posted:

They seem to manage fine on the continent without specific school uniforms

good for them but this is Hell Island and while such things are mandated they should be as minimally onerous as possible

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Shock, horror, this is generally what people wore at my school (it's from a christmas event, but basically identical to what everyone wore normally):

e: eh, maybe too personal

It was even a moderately posh one.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 15, 2023

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I've changed my mind: uniforms are good because they're conditioning kids to understand that the people who are in charge and make the decisions that impact their lives (but never the decision maker's life) are all loving idiots.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Miftan posted:

I've changed my mind: uniforms are good because they're conditioning kids to understand that the people who are in charge and make the decisions that impact their lives (but never the decision maker's life) are all loving idiots.

The excuse my school always came out with any time it tried to feebly enforce the uniform was "it prepares you for work where you will be expected to follow a dress code" but bro, work pays me.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Gort posted:

The countries without uniform requirements don't have big movements demanding uniforms to relieve peer pressure. I think uniforms are just a matter of inertia really.

Its countries that had rich kid schools.
They forced their kids to cosplay Jacob Rees Mogg in order to add another rung on the 'we are better than you' class status ladder.
And it trickled down to the normal schools eventually.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Miftan posted:

Unfortunately it seems that it also produces a section of them who think it's all a very good idea, and they go on to be the ones in charge next.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

The excuse my school always came out with any time it tried to feebly enforce the uniform was "it prepares you for work where you will be expected to follow a dress code" but bro, work pays me.

I've never had a job with a dress code that didn't also provide the clothes free of charge soooooo

OwlFancier posted:

Unfortunately it seems that it also produces a section of them who think it's all a very good idea, and they go on to be the ones in charge next.

I suspect this is just a fact a life, but I will still always think uniforms are stupid. As is calling your teachers by their last name which is even worse imo. Who gives a poo poo.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, when I was a postman they even gave me the shoes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It prepares you for work where you will be expected to use your wages to buy overpriced uniforms for your kids.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Gort posted:

Yeah, when I was a postman they even gave me the shoes.

Even mediocre places will get you shoes if you need them for safety reasons (steel toed, etc.) or health reasons (walking a ton like a postman or the army or whatever). The fact that schools make you pay for your own uniform is probably a net drain on poorer households. Sure, your kids won't get mocked (they will, even if it's for something else), but at least now you can't afford the heating!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
School uniform should look like a sack and have a huge label printed in Comic Sans saying "SHITE oval office". This would effectively put an end to all bullying because everyone is a shite oval office.

It should also cost £500.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In a country where being a shite oval office competitively is synonymous with success I am not sure that is true.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Jedit posted:

That's patently not what happens, though? You let kids dress how they want, the poor kid gets mocked for not being able to afford nice clothes. You make everyone wear uniform to take that away, and you get this story where the poor kid is being mocked for not being able to afford the official uniform.

The issue is not what the kids have on their backs. Kids are little shits, there will always be peer pressure. The real issue is one of inequality of social status and wealth.

The issue that can easily be solved then, even by a Starmer Government is the school demanded some ridiculous uniform. Put a cap on how much it can cost.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

The frisbee dog meme but "no, no child support, only have kids"

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

forkboy84 posted:

how much training and practice do you need to be able to wear a specific set of clothes

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Also how many jobs actually have a uniform, outside of retail and some field engineering jobs maybe.

I'm pretty sure not a single person in the picture I posted above ever needed to wear a uniform at work (well there's some lawyers and such, so depends on your definition of uniform I guess).

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s more about having the desire to not dress like an uncomfortable oval office every day of your life beaten out of you

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

If you're a man and work in an office you get to be adventurous with your tie. But not much else.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Saying that I solved the problem from the inside by getting a job with a dress code, becoming management, and gradually eroding the dress code away to a tiny nub by just refusing to adhere to it or enforce it.

Then I moved back out of management and it’s become “the way things are” so :toot:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

Also how many jobs actually have a uniform, outside of retail and some field engineering jobs maybe.
Field engineering uniform is jeans and workshirt plus a clip on namebadge and whatever PPE.

Which wouldn't actually be too bad as a school uniform. You can use the namebadge to log in to whatever they have now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

History Comes Inside! posted:

Saying that I solved the problem from the inside by getting a job with a dress code, becoming management, and gradually eroding the dress code away to a tiny nub by just refusing to adhere to it or enforce it.

Then I moved back out of management and it’s become “the way things are” so :toot:

This is the one thing I miss about being in management, being able to slow but surely ignore all of the lovely anti-staff practice's my company wanted to enforce and then being smug about it when my branch has the best staff retention and performance.