Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lpzie posted:

the emissary is so dumb. like, what's the plan? guard the unity and only allow certain ppl through? how? u gotta build like a religion or something. u have to larp as a religious leader to wanna be the emissary. it's all FAKE !! u looked at the unity and ASSUMED it needed to be guided or whatever. idiot, moron.

didn't they start three religions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
spirits within 2 ftw

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I never played ff7 and that looks like a video of a seven year old describing a cool dream they had last night

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I mean I'll play it dgmw, it's just kind of deranged

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sick and/or twisted

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

sebmojo posted:

I never played ff7

wtf

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Al! posted:

didn't they start three religions

yup .. it's so strange. it's like telling on themselves that the first brush with something Beyond us and hey let's make a religion out of it. the Hunter is more correct by far than the Emissary

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I hit the point in Bethesda games where I suddenly become incredibly bored. I'm gonna go ahead and do the ng++ and if it's not something really interesting I'll probably put the game down.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://twitter.com/operagxofficial/status/1701948946677985745

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

lmfao

and yeah that doesn't look great for a remake or whatever. hopefully they get rid of the giant pointy tipped conical big titties

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

smarxist posted:

there's a cool video about mode 7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FVN_Ze7bzw

this whole series is fantastic if you love SNES

somewhat unrelated but one of the common wisdom of the snes/genesis era was that japanese devs would "nerf" their games for american audiences because they assumed americans were bad at video games. i think that was true that they often did that or didn't port X because they assumed americans were too bad to play it,

but was there any actual evidence americans were bad at games worse than other countries? (besides glancing at the Games forum and confirming the fact. for the question at hand: assume goons don't exist as a case history to prove the japanese right)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
just remembered and lolling that euph couldn't figure out how to jump in metroid. maybe miyomoto and the 90s squaresoft guy had a good point wrt americans

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Xaris posted:

lmfao

and yeah that doesn't look great for a remake or whatever. hopefully they get rid of the giant pointy tipped conical big titties

i hope they make them even bigger and pointier

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Zokari posted:

i hope they make them even bigger and pointier
no, that will make gamers happy. gamers must be destroyed by removing titties

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The OG FF7 was out of this world on release and still holds up incredibly well today, and in a lot of respects is even better playing through as an adult as a dumbass kid because you can both notice and appreciate the central theme of despair and constant failure and getting owned in ways so comprehensive it takes dozens of hours to fully sink in.

It's still my #1 JRPG of all time but I'm not gonna lie, Chained Echoes is likely to dethrone it for that spot by the time I've wrapped it up. It's unreal how good this game is, a GOTY contender for me even considering how stacked 2023 has been.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Lpzie posted:

so rebirth isn't going the originals route but the movie route cause aeris is starborn ??

realising they were keeping all the movie and spinoff stuff was the big letdown of ff7r imo, but i guess it works for the superfans who liked all that garbage

sucks that you gotta buy the dead console for the next 2 parts of the remake imo, still not quite an excuse enough to get one - and i do want an excuse to get one for the aesthetics

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 09:49 on Sep 15, 2023

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

realising they were keeping all the movie and spinoff stuff was the big letdown of ff7r imo, but i guess it works for the superfans who liked all that garbage

sucks that you gotta buy the dead console for the next 2 parts of the remake imo, still not quite an excuse enough to get one - and i do want an excuse to get one for the aesthetics

people like movie reno & rude other then some very vague references i think thats all from the movie that makes it over

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

triple sulk posted:

i am more excited for this than i was for the first part

it looks like they really, truly did it to the point i almost can't believe it. everyone figured they'd take the ffx approach and instead you can fly on a chocobo and ride a segway. i really liked ff16 in spite of its lows being pretty bad and that singular trailer makes it look like total poo poo

I think it still will be an FFX-ish approach, just with a small number of big areas (FF16 is a more recent example of something like this).

Still seems awesome, though (and I like the way FFX and FF16 did things, with the smaller but more "curated" zones).

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i love FF7 with all my heart, i've played and beaten it like 6 times, i wrote an essay about it for the 20th anniversary

it sags pretty bad in the middle, the entire huge materia arc and everything associated with it is a whiff and then they're not even relevant to the story lmfao

all of that poo poo can get truncated down to the rocket attack on meteor pretty swiftly (because that part is actually great)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ben Nerevarine posted:

the SNES needed a whole chip for Mode 7. meanwhile there’s a game for the Sega Genesis that implemented it at the software level, a little game called Puggsy, and it owned, but nobody ever talks about THAT

i shan't be talking about puggsy

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

No really what are the results of the starseed quests, if you don't pick the Obvious Good Guy choice who leads the faction helpfully labeled Pragmatists?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

smarxist posted:

i love FF7 with all my heart, i've played and beaten it like 6 times, i wrote an essay about it for the 20th anniversary

it sags pretty bad in the middle, the entire huge materia arc and everything associated with it is a whiff and then they're not even relevant to the story lmfao

all of that poo poo can get truncated down to the rocket attack on meteor pretty swiftly (because that part is actually great)

ur a whiff u idiot. the huge materia stuff is great cause it links to the previous games with the 4 crystals that deus ex machina to save the day and then it's like ya even these won't help u now, this isn't baabys friendly fun time video game anymore we're adults ..w

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

oh is the new ff7 gonna be ps5 only?

i'm gonna junction my materia right up their asses if so, limit break it up there

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

sebmojo posted:

i'm gonna junction my materia right up their asses if so, limit break it up there

For "at least 3 months" it is a PS5 exclusive

But square needs money and they made a gently caress ton of it on the PC so I'd wager it'll be a shorter window than the original was

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the milk machine posted:

this made me remember the snes bubsy game. i think that was the first game i got as a kid that i realized was just dogshit

Had it on the Genesis, and same tbh

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

sebmojo posted:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/i/status/1702358038680605034

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Lpzie posted:

yup .. it's so strange. it's like telling on themselves that the first brush with something Beyond us and hey let's make a religion out of it. the Hunter is more correct by far than the Emissary

I haven’t gotten much further, but uhhh… are all the starborn just the emissary and the hunter? like, it’s just them repeated forever? or are we supposed to understand that There Are Others? because it doesn’t seem that way. maybe this is explained later.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

why is the new version so sterile sounding lol

doesn't have any of the little flourishes it's like a simplified version of the composition for 14 year olds to play in the school band

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Red Baron posted:

I haven’t gotten much further, but uhhh… are all the starborn just the emissary and the hunter? like, it’s just them repeated forever? or are we supposed to understand that There Are Others? because it doesn’t seem that way. maybe this is explained later.

only lpeezee has claimed to go Ng6+, the only way to know the truth is to follow and see for yourself...

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Xaris posted:

no, that will make gamers happy. gamers must be destroyed by removing titties

finally NAViGaTR's dream of giving Lara Croft breast cancer is realized

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Jazerus posted:

why is the new version so sterile sounding lol

doesn't have any of the little flourishes it's like a simplified version of the composition for 14 year olds to play in the school band

they removed the 3 grace notes from in the melody in the new one, removed some of its rhythmic motion.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

they also got rid of the hoedown bassline. revisionism!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

They had that feature in the Secret of Mana remake too and I really appreciated it because in some cases (whatever the name of the dwarf town music was) the new one was plainly superior and in some cases (Into The Thick Of It) the original was way better

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
lib rear end game wont even let me give the sanon tape to SSNN

i want to blow state secrets and topple the government drat it

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Let's be honest, you reveal the Vae Victis stuff to the UC public and they'd probably elect him President

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

They let me execute the FC diplomat and were only a bit upset that I "messed up"

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

DaysBefore posted:

Let's be honest, you reveal the Vae Victis stuff to the UC public and they'd probably elect him President

why do you hate democracy

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

why do you hate democracy

I'm engaged in the hot war to destroy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Ben Nerevarine posted:

the SNES needed a whole chip for Mode 7. meanwhile there’s a game for the Sega Genesis that implemented it at the software level, a little game called Puggsy, and it owned, but nobody ever talks about THAT

oh drat I remember this. That guy was strong as hell and my friend and super cool w his shades