Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Cross posting something I wrote elsewhere.

If the strikers are smart they can punch way above their weight with the targeted strikes. They need to have a working knowledge of the production and supply chain at the whole system level.

A smart person can flow chart this out. Either by tracing it personally or by talking to folks at each step with knowledge of how production really works.

The unions have what they need to target effectively because they are the workers. That they are considering and proposing to strike in this way implies that someone has the background necessary to plan to do it effectively.

This is a new thing. It’s frankly quite impressively.
Its not new at all; this is exactly how the sit down strike went down in 1937 in Flint, Michigan (and how they coordinated with other plants vital to the supply chain). Someone’s been paying attention to their UAW labor history.

quote:

The Flint sit-down strike was not spontaneous; UAW leaders, inspired by similar strikes across Europe, had been planning it for months. The strike actually began at smaller plants: Fisher Body in Atlanta on November 16, GM in Kansas City on December 16 and a Fisher stamping plant in Cleveland on December 28. The Flint plant was the biggest coup, however: it contained one of just two sets of body dies that GM used to stamp out almost every one of its 1937 cars. By seizing control of the Flint plant, autoworkers could shut down the company almost entirely.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

One couldn’t model a supply chain in 1937 in the way they can be modeled now. They’ll be able to be considerably more effective.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Meanwhile, in another labor strike (albeit less kitchen table-y), the AMPTP and Writers Guild of America are coming back to the negotiating table next week. If Fox entertainment exec Michael Thorn is telling the truth, they have until October 1st for deals to be made with both the WGA AND SAG-AFTRA before the mid-season TV lineup is as much of a wash as this fall's season.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

One couldn’t model a supply chain in 1937 in the way they can be modeled now. They’ll be able to be considerably more effective.

They were pretty drat effective.

quote:

GM’s output went from a robust 50,000 cars in December to just 125 in February.

The strikes had lasted for 44 days, left 136,000 GM workers idle and caused 280,000 cars to go unbuilt. Though much of the public was against sit-down strikes and considered labor unionists to be dangerous rabble-rousers, GM’s public image had suffered, too. And labor would never be the same. Union membership ballooned from 3.4 million workers in 1930 to 10 million in 1942, and the majority of the automobile industry swiftly unionized, gaining benefits and pay they never would have obtained without organizing.

The real question will be if Whitmer has the will to be the next Murphy.

quote:

Michigan governor Frank Murphy mobilized the National Guard. “Law and order must be maintained in Michigan,” he told the public. In the past, news of 1,200 guardsmen descending on Flint to impose law and order would have been devastating to workers, who knew they would be used as a weapon against them. But Murphy was labor-friendly, and didn’t use troops to intimidate workers. Instead, the National Guard became a peacekeeping force that ultimately protected the workers and facilitated negotiations.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 15, 2023

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Oracle posted:

Yeah it’s this. Remember how incredulous Doc Brown was in Back To the Future when he found out Ronald Reagan the actor was president in 1985? He ticks a lot of the same boxes Trump did when he first ran: media savvy entertaining telegenic guy who ‘told it like it is’ and appealed to ‘real men’ after all that touchy feely sensitive New Age Alan Alda long haired hippie freaks of the 70s bullshit. He was a rah rah military guy after the disaster of Vietnam who ‘made the country great again.’ He openly pandered to racists with the help of the infamous Lee Atwater including announcing his campaign in Neshoba County, Mississippi, right near where the three Freedom Riders were murdered in the 60s for registering black people to vote. He teamed up with Pat Robertson and the Moral Majority on abortion and prayer in schools, ignored the AIDS epidemic, was surrounded by corrupt creeps who couldn’t stop criming… I mean the parallels are downright eerie.

There's a real good book called The Clothes Have No Emperor, which was basically a journal of poo poo that happened each week during the Reagan administration. You could replace the names in many of the anecdotes, say it happened in the Trump administration and it'd be perfectly believable. I flipped it to a random page and found a perfect example of this:

quote:

12/23/81

Asked to comment on his wife's unusually high disapproval rating, President Reagan says, "I just heard earlier today – and maybe Larry can tell me if this is true – I just heard that some poll or something has revealed that she's the most popular woman in the world." White House spokesman Larry Speakes says he has seen no such poll. "I tell you," says the President, "if it isn't true, it should be. I'm on her side."

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Srice posted:

There's a real good book called The Clothes Have No Emperor, which was basically a journal of poo poo that happened each week during the Reagan administration. You could replace the names in many of the anecdotes, say it happened in the Trump administration and it'd be perfectly believable. I flipped it to a random page and found a perfect example of this:
Giving credit and publicity supporting his wife instead of making it about his own narcissistic self?

That's FDR style politicking.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Reagan also had the ability to express naked partisanship behind folksy, funny truisms. It was difficult to directly assail by the establishment, but true believers were free to draw their own conclusions, and they did. Trump does something similar. Instead of a squeaky clean image and charm, he uses bombast and frank narcissism.

Reagan once famously said in the 70s about Nixon, “it he says he didn’t do it, I believe him. And if he did do it, I support him.” To the “establishment” this comes across as a funny joke. To the person primed to hear it, it’s an expression of supralegal solidarity.

Nixon, to his credit, thought Reagan was a weird little freak.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Sep 15, 2023

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It was also kind of a given that Reagan was impaired by 1984 and everyone just pretended this was only a thing in the 90's. Trump says he has the body of an NFL running back, but visibly has a difficult time moving around and often couldn't walk around with other leaders at summits.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/335424-trump-rode-golf-cart-while-g7-leaders-walked-through-siciliy/

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Cheesus posted:

That's FDR style politicking.

FDR and Eleanor were married in name only, mostly for his political career. He had mistresses and Eleanor had long-term romantic relationships with other women.

Eleanor also did a lot of campaigning for him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CO news got the goods

https://twitter.com/KyleClark/status/1702498583755538598

Apparently she is divorcing her sex offender husband, no word on if the new beau has exposed himself to children, but he seems fine with groping PDA.

Again, the unifying trait among all MAGA republicans is that they are just the biggest rear end in a top hat you ever met

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Zamujasa posted:

Something along the lines of "the minimum total compensation of any employee must be at least ???% of the highest's", though this obviously handwaves a lot of the underlying assumptions.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I read a transcript of the speech and the only thing he mentioned that was sort of like this is his plan (that was previously announced) to introduce a new Department of Labor rule to require gig economy "employers" to classify people who work for them as employees instead of contractors, which means they are entitled to overtime, benefits, and their employers have to pay half of their FICA taxes for social security and Medicare.

Not sure if there is supposed to be anything else in the memos they are releasing or if that was what they were referencing.

I haven't seen any detailed info or whatever memo they are circulating since the speech last night, but the quote above is the only thing he mentioned during the speech that seems similar to the original claim.

It seems like they rewrote part of the economic speech to focus on the government shutdown and impeachment instead. Or they just did a bad job of labeling it an economic policy speech. There wasn't much new policy in the actual speech, because it was all about the shutdown and impeachment.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 15, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

zoux posted:

CO news got the goods

https://twitter.com/KyleClark/status/1702498583755538598

Apparently she is divorcing her sex offender husband, no word on if the new beau has exposed himself to children, but he seems fine with groping PDA.

Again, the unifying trait among all MAGA republicans is that they are just the biggest rear end in a top hat you ever met

Hahaha that’s amazing

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

American and U.K. relations continue to deteriorate under radical Irish Supremacist Joe Biden.

Many American dog breeders, shelters, and Pit Bull advocates are upset that the U.K. is taking moves to ban all American Pit Bulls and what they call "American XL Bully Dogs" (those wacky Brits always have fun names for things).

They are taking it so seriously that the Prime Minister actually addressed the nation about his new task force to ban the possession, import, breeding, transfer, or sale of the dogs.

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1702630698178236756

The U.S. is getting involved because "American Bully Dog" is not an actual dog breed and is a term that encompasses many different dog breeds/mutts with Pitt Terrier or Staffordshire Terrier DNA. The U.K. doesn't currently have a legal definition for what makes something an "American Bully Dog."

The U.S. businesses, trade authorities, and American citizens who own pets and travel to the U.K. are concerned that that the U.K. could end up with a vastly expansive definition to make sure they in encompasses anything that could be a pit bull or "American XL Bully Dog." They are worried that this will impact their businesses, ability to travel with pets, dog shelters' ability to adopt overseas, or violate trade law between the U.K. and the U.S.

The U.S. government has made no announcements about getting involved other than to confirm that whatever the new law is complies with existing trade treaties, but American citizens and the Kennel Club of Britain are attempting to limit the scope of the bill before it passes.

quote:

After attacks, British prime minister says American XL Bully dogs are dangerous and will be banned

British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has described American XL Bully dogs as a “danger to our communities” and announced plans to ban them following a public outcry after a series of recent attacks

LONDON -- British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak on Friday described American XL Bully dogs as a “danger to our communities” and announced plans to ban the breed following a public outcry after a series of recent attacks.

Sunak said he has asked government ministers to bring together police and canine experts to legally define the characteristics of the American XL Bully, which is not recognized as a breed by groups such as the Kennel Club in Britain or the American Kennel Club in the United States.

“It is not currently a breed defined in law, so this vital first step must happen fast,’’ Sunak said in a video statement posted to X, formerly known as Twitter. “We will then ban the breed under the Dangerous Dogs Act and new laws will be in place by the end of the year.’’

The government has been under pressure to take action after an 11-year-old girl was attacked and seriously injured by an American XL Bully on Saturday in Birmingham, England. Those concerns deepened on Thursday after a man was killed in an attack that may have involved this type of dog.

“The American XL Bully dog is a danger to our communities, particularly our children,’’ Sunak said. “I share the nation’s horror at the recent videos we’ve all seen.’’

Four breeds of dogs are currently banned in the United Kingdom: the pitbull terrier, the Japanese tosa, the dogo Argentino and the fila Brasileiro.

Some campaigners have called for the American XL Bully, which was originally bred from the American pit bull terrier, to be added to the list because they believe dangerous characteristics have been bred into the animals.

The XL Bully is not recognized as a breed by the U.K.’s Kennel Club, which has argued that no breed of dog is inherently dangerous. The organization says breed-specific bans do not address the most important factors contributing to attacks, primarily irresponsible dog owners who train their dogs to be aggressive.

The bully breeds get their name because they were originally used in blood sports, such as bull baiting. The dogs have a muscular build and a heavier bone structure than pit bulls.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 15, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Can the American XL bully dogs fit in small boats?

I'm sure the British media will get tired of this after a couple weeks and move onto the next thing.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
American XL Bully Dog sounds like a clothing line someone with a “Salt Life” sticker on their truck would wear.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
American XL Bully Dog sounds like something that would be invented by Americans afraid that other Americans wouldn't want dogs that aren't the biggest and most badass dogs in the world

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I've gotta say, my favorite articles are when news organizations collect a focus group of random people and ask them questions without providing any specific choices and just let them go.

It's not really scientific and not a representative sample of Americans, but it produces some interesting insight into how "normies" think about politics that is usually really fascinating, funny, horrifying, or some combination of all three.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1702623401821544881

quote:

If he wins the presidency next year, he’ll be the oldest person ever elected to the White House.

Yes, that would be President Joe Biden. But it would also be former President Donald Trump.

Biden was the oldest presidential winner ever, when he won in 2020. The fact that he’d beat his own record is a historical footnote that has voters concerned.

Trump is no spring chicken either. In fact, he’s just three years younger than Biden. But he’s not facing nearly the same scrutiny for his age.

quote:

“Trump just comes off as a much younger person,” said Renee King, a two-time Trump voter in Mondamin, Iowa, who is undecided for 2024. (King declined to give her age.) “Just the way he speaks, the way he walks. Just everything he does.”

quote:

“He’s more into social media,” said Jane Story, 56, a Trump supporter in Ames, Iowa. “I mean, anybody has to learn with the times. And I just feel as though Trump has moved with the times and Biden has not.”

quote:

Dawn Brockett, 57, an independent from Hampton, New Hampshire, said Trump seems like he’s “blessed with that ability to — like a Mick Jagger, like he’ll be young forever.”

quote:

“No doubt in my mind, I will vote for Biden. But we need age limits in politicians, and I would like to see much younger candidates,” said Tammy, a Democratic voter in Geauga County, Ohio, who declined to give her last name.

quote:

Mary Miller, 60, from Novelty, Ohio, voted Republican much of her life but supported Hillary Clinton in 2016 and Biden in 2020. She is happy with Biden’s performance but says she does worry about his age.

“When I listen to him speak publicly, I kind of hold my breath sometimes,” she said. “But you know, he’s the guy we’ve got, and … I don’t think it’s such a bad thing.”

quote:

When it came to Biden and Trump, some also thought the age gap was bigger than it really is.

quote:

Lisa Dumont, 49, a voter from Salem, New Hampshire, who voted for Trump twice but now backs former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, said Biden’s age was a “huge problem” because Biden “can barely speak.”

She guessed the president was 86 (he’s 80) and Trump is 75 (he’s 77).

quote:

Story, from Iowa, shaved some years off both men, guessing “70-something” for Biden and “60-something” for Trump.

quote:

“It’s genetic,” said Ilia Charlat, 53, from Bedford, New Hampshire, who plans to back Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis next year. “It comes from that, and lifestyle, but just you can see that … Biden is just an older person. … You can see [with] Trump how quick he is.”

(This next one is from a different article, but I wanted to put in here to match with the one above it to be amazed that multiple unrelated people are giving this specific answer when asked an open-ended question about Trump's physique and healthy lifestyle)

quote:

"Trump is among the fittest president we have ever had. Look at the way he moves and his marks from his doctors. Even the doctors are blown away by how good he is."

quote:

Several voters also picked up on unproven or false talking points on the right, including that Biden may have dementia or even that his occasional stuttering is proof of his decline. (Biden has stuttered since he was a child and has spoken openly about working to overcome it.)

Virgil Thorstenson, 74, an ardent Trump supporter from Waukon, Iowa, had an even more dramatic theory of what’s going on with Biden: “His cognitive abilities have deteriorated greatly. … I don’t think Biden is in control. I think he’s a puppet being controlled by somebody else.”

quote:

Maxine Wheling, 62, a Republican voter from Gering, Nebraska, said she feels “bad” for the president.

“I feel like he’s being pressured and propped up, which I don’t feel is right,” she said. “I think he’s lived out his life. Enjoy his retirement time with his family.”

quote:

Tom Johnson, 59, a Trump supporter from Rapid City, South Dakota, said he felt like a big difference was that the former president’s wits have been tested.

“I look at what they did to President Trump,” Johnson said. “They tested him as far as they gave him this test on his IQ. I mean, he aced it. And, you know if Joe Biden could do that, fine. But we know that he can’t.”

quote:

My real concern as a Democrat with Biden is that he won’t serve that whole second term,” said Thalia Floras, 75, a Democrat from Nashua, New Hampshire.

“We are in a country that is primarily controlled by older people, people who maybe have like five, 10, maybe one year left running,” said Gabriel Reynolds, 19, from East Greenwich, Rhode Island, who is a registered independent but leans Democratic.

quote:

Roger Stephenson, 66, is a Stratham, New Hampshire, voter who voted for Biden in 2020 and would consider voting for him again. He was a Republican but switched away from the party to undeclared after Trump won in 2016.

Trump, he said, “has bigger problems than his age.”

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 15, 2023

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I feel like Biden's age is ultimately a non-issue for Dems. They'll complain about it but come home and vote for Biden in the end, because what are you gonna do about it, vote Trump?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

cat botherer posted:

Can the American XL bully dogs fit in small boats?

I'm sure the British media will get tired of this after a couple weeks and move onto the next thing.

I'm sure the media will get bored, but the PM is already moving through with the law. It's not going to dramatically impact that many people, but it is also a little weird that there is a (currently not legally real) dog breed in the U.K. that they are trying to address by banning other dogs like it.

And the PM had to make an address to the nation about it because it was so important.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

American XL Bully Dog sounds like a clothing line someone with a “Salt Life” sticker on their truck would wear.

It would be great if the Prime Minister of the U.K. was involved in a guerilla marketing campaign and he just announces that "BIG DOG" T-Shirts are coming back at the end of the month instead of banning dogs.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Queering Wheel posted:

I feel like Biden's age is ultimately a non-issue for Dems. They'll complain about it but come home and vote for Biden in the end, because what are you gonna do about it, vote Trump?

The concern is they won’t get excited about voting for Biden and just won’t bother. But Trump on the other side of the ballot kind of covers that.

I wonder if the perception of Trump’s age makes him especially vulnerable to any sort of gaffe or something that makes him suddenly look a lot older to a lot of people. Probably not but it’s a thought.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Queering Wheel posted:

Stay home and not vote for either candidate because they don't find Biden compelling enough to get off their asses and head to the polls.

That said, it's not hard to see from Leon's quotes how people's perception of the age issue is vastly impacted by their partisan preconceptions. Just look at all those two-time Trump voters gushing about how young and energetic and hip with the times Trump is.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Main Paineframe posted:

Stay home and not vote for either candidate because they don't find Biden compelling enough to get off their asses and head to the polls.

That said, it's not hard to see from Leon's quotes how people's perception of the age issue is vastly impacted by their partisan preconceptions. Just look at all those two-time Trump voters gushing about how young and energetic and hip with the times Trump is.

Democrats also think Biden is old by large margins and don't think of Trump as that old. So it isn't just partisanship. Part of it is the old thing has been a focused attack on Biden and he hasn't been able to shake it. Trump is basically the same age and more incoherent, but that is part of his brand and he isn't attacked on it.

The partisan part of it is pretty amazing. I will never get over the woman describing Trump as "Mick Jagger-like" and someone who is ageless and "will stay young forever."

Or the guy who thinks Trump is blowing away doctors in the medical community with his superhuman health and genes.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
biden is literally more fit than trump

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

OctaMurk posted:

biden is literally more fit than trump

Explain why he has the same BMI as a pro athlete (according to his self-reported weight and height), doctors are literally amazed at his genes, he has never aged, doctors say he is the fittest man to ever run for President, and that he may live to be 120. All while never exercising and only eating McDonald's.

You think all of that is just coincidence? I think your Trump-derangement syndrome is preventing you from looking at this objectively.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1702679061787766829

Do we think that only Trump can get away with this stuff, or does the GOP voter base no longer give a poo poo about marital fidelity? Interesting that it's the Daily Mail, what has Governor Noem done to threaten the Big Man

Also, ew.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
"old" is just an inverse proxy for "energetic". That's it. Biden looks tired all the time and trips over his words. Trump looks like he just chewed 3 Adderall before an interview and never finishes a sentence because a new, cracked out thought just took precedence in his stream of consciousness. It doesn't matter that Biden has more coherence between sentence fragments. It's not about coherence.

People are perceiving things correctly, it's the vocabulary that needs work.

negativeneil fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 15, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

zoux posted:

Do we think that only Trump can get away with this stuff, or does the GOP voter base no longer give a poo poo about marital fidelity? Interesting that it's the Daily Mail, what has Governor Noem done to threaten the Big Man

Also, ew.
I don’t know if this really matters except if she thought that she’s going to be Trump’s running mate

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

zoux posted:

Also, ew.

The original source is the Daily Mail, but some other places have been reporting similar things as rumors without photos before. I wouldn't take it as 100% confirmed, but seems likely.

I continue to be surprised by how many women are willing to ruin their marriages to sleep with Corey Lewandowski. He is like a matrimonial wrecking ball for major conservative political figures.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Democrats also think Biden is old by large margins and don't think of Trump as that old. So it isn't just partisanship. Part of it is the old thing has been a focused attack on Biden and he hasn't been able to shake it. Trump is basically the same age and more incoherent, but that is part of his brand and he isn't attacked on it.

The partisan part of it is pretty amazing. I will never get over the woman describing Trump as "Mick Jagger-like" and someone who is ageless and "will stay young forever."

Or the guy who thinks Trump is blowing away doctors in the medical community with his superhuman health and genes.

Propaganda works on everyone, something Republicans figured out really god drat well with Fox.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The original source is the Daily Mail, but some other places have been reporting similar things as rumors without photos before. I wouldn't take it as 100% confirmed, but seems likely.

I continue to be surprised by how many women are willing to ruin their marriages to sleep with Corey Lewandowski. He is like a matrimonial wrecking ball for major conservative political figures.

Does Corey Lewandowski have Big Dick Energy?

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

zoux posted:

Does Corey Lewandowski have Big Dick Energy?

I thought he had coffee boy energy.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Not gonna lie, as tacky and cringeworthy as 99.9% of those shirts are/were, I did appreciate that they fit comfortably on a fatass like me. They definitely had "Out of shape" in mind as a key demographic when they made them.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Romney's position was we needed yet another massive increase in defense spending because Russia was scary again and had rebuilt its military to or near to its Soviet-era apex, which was a load of poo poo then and even moreso these days as demonstrated by its three-day war in Ukraine now dragging on into its second year. Obama was right to dunk on him because what he was calling for in broader terms was dumb and wrong.

Obama was not right to dunk on him because Obama's policy involved closing eyes on ethnic cleansing, regardless of Romney's policies being bad for other reasons.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

negativeneil posted:

"old" is just an inverse proxy for "energetic". That's it. Biden looks tired all the time and trips over his words. Trump looks like he just chewed 3 Adderall before an interview and never finishes a sentence because a new, cracked out thought just took precedence in his stream of consciousness. It doesn't matter that Biden has more coherence between sentence fragments. It's not about coherence.

People are perceiving things correctly, it's the vocabulary that needs work.

Biden's the guy that visibly jogs around more than he probably should with brittle old bones and somehow that itself gets cast as lack of energy while Trump lumbers around and rambles. It's totally about how propaganda works.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
They don't actually believe this stuff. They project it on purpose as a matter of faith. Just like hustlebro cryptoscams, televangelist prosperity preachers, and every other confidence game out there. They all think they're little Confidence Men pulling a quick one on the libs.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Just ban all dog breeds so people will stop breeding them for fucks sake. I’m not saying ban dogs just dog breeding. Leave those poor dogs alone and stop breeding them to have deformities and health issues just because they look cute.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Boris Galerkin posted:

Just ban all dog breeds so people will stop breeding them for fucks sake. I’m not saying ban dogs just dog breeding. Leave those poor dogs alone and stop breeding them to have deformities and health issues just because they look cute.

How do you think dog babby is formed? Should people just let bitches in the heat loose in the streets if they want new dogs?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
ngl "bitches in heat let loose in the streets" is a great rhyme

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

Killer robot posted:

Biden's the guy that visibly jogs around more than he probably should with brittle old bones and somehow that itself gets cast as lack of energy while Trump lumbers around and rambles. It's totally about how propaganda works.

The jogging around is the propaganda too and it’s not working. Most people are only being exposed to clips of the two men taking questions from reporters and giving press conferences. RWM is capitalizing on the perception that Biden is old and slow. They do that by using clips of him being old and slow or saying oddly constructed sentences. “Look at our physically fit president on a bike ride!” Is propaganda that’s attempting to counter this narrative. It’s obvious and phony and Americans hate nothing more than phoniness (ok they hate poor people more but you get it). The man is objectively not on the same cognitive level as he was when he was VP. It’s obvious to anyone and that’s why the RWM attacks are working: there’s truth in them. There’s not really anything Biden can do at this point to counter the frame that he’s old as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
If you stop reading right wing media, your perceptions of what “everyone sees” will completely change.