Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Danger Diabolik posted:

I really enjoy 5e for the big battle sets and minis, but it is definitely not as good for setting up good story moments as more narrative-focused system like Kids on Bikes.

Agreed, its down to matching what you're looking to get out of an experience vs what game you're playing. KoB might be better for narrative-driven stuff, 5e is more crunchy numbers, and then there's something like Pathfinder for SUPER crunch and tactics. Mulligan is about the best GM/player I've seen at telling a story/crafting a great narrative, but he's also really good about making some downright BROKEN characters, whatever the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

boxen posted:

Favorite fox line: "I couldn't reach the orb."

I really wanted a scene of Steel interrogating the fox about running off into the woods.

I'm just imagining Steel demanding to interrogate the Fox and someone plopping him on the orb.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
I'd really love to see them spin off a show for exploring more of the non-D&D systems out there - because there are so goddamned many. Maybe with like an optional how-to-play intro video for each system. I know it's not as easy as it sounds, and that the production quality wouldn't be nearly as high as the main series. But I would like it!

I want to see the D20 take on Chuubo's, Monster of the Week, Mork Borg, Godbound - all the poo poo I'll never play because I'm a grownup with normal people for friends instead of cool nerds like I see on the teevee.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Best table top campaign I’ve ever played hands down was Blades in the Dark. I’d love to see the D20 crew try it out. It’s a bit more collaborative than most RPGs, but that seems to be how Brennen is running Mentopolis anyways, with rolling with Alex inventing the ice skates story out of whole cloth and such.

Spoiler talk I actually gasped when Brennen killed the dog. I know it got rolled back immediately but holy crap. That whole scene played out so cinematically, with Brennen playing off Hank’s snake fact for the scene transition. What a scene holy crap.

Talorat fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 9, 2023

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Normalize playing more small indie rpgs!

Especially if you’re into the story more than the optimization. There’s so many cool ideas out there! (IMO optimization/strategy is fun, but mostly filled by board and computer games for me… that “garage band campfire storyteller” vibe is what I really crave.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Raph is in a Lexus ad getting play during football games and I'm reminded that seeing dropout people in other contexts is just as weird as recognizing people when they show up on dropout for the first time

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Talorat posted:

Best table top campaign I’ve ever played hands down was Blades in the Dark. I’d love to see the D20 crew try it out. It’s a bit more collaborative than most RPGs, but that seems to be how Brennen is running Mentopolis anyways, with rolling with Alex inventing the ice skates story out of whole cloth and such.

I think John Harper has said he's a fan of D20 before, and the way they do episodes with one episode being fight and one being more story focused would work perfect with Blades.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Blades in the Dark would've been perfect for Tiny Heist.

edit: also I never thought I'd say this about a series without Lou, but I think Mentopolis is the best Dimension 20 show so far. Absolutely hilarious, production staff clearly having fun with it, one of the whackiest ideas for a setting and plot. Been having non stop fun and every character is great. Usually there's a couple of weak characters on any given season but everyone's bits in this one are great. Also puns.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 11, 2023

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
What do you think is the best standalone episode to sell someone on Game Changer (and dropout by extension). All my favorites I feel like require at least some foreknowledge of the cast.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Dropout has a short playlist of 6 free episodes up on YouTube, and I feel like either the lie detector or Sam Says episodes are maybe the best for people with no familiarity with the cast, since they function as stand alone games to sell the concept of the show and there's no real in-humor based solely on cast knowledge, since people like Izzy that act as the locus of humor for Brennan hadn't really been known parts of the cast up to that point.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Talorat posted:

What do you think is the best standalone episode to sell someone on Game Changer (and dropout by extension). All my favorites I feel like require at least some foreknowledge of the cast.

My wife and I were kind of in this boat a month ago, watching some tik tok clips before plunging into full blown episodes and now subscribed.

I would say the first Make Some Noise or Do I hear $1.

Malt fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 12, 2023

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Talorat posted:

any of the season 1 games imo

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
You know, first make some noise with Matt, I felt he was a dud, but this one he was solid. It's probably cause the first ep had Brennan and Ross, and it's hard to stand up to that

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

tsob posted:

Dropout has a short playlist of 6 free episodes up on YouTube, and I feel like either the lie detector or Sam Says episodes are maybe the best for people with no familiarity with the cast, since they function as stand alone games to sell the concept of the show and there's no real in-humor based solely on cast knowledge, since people like Izzy that act as the locus of humor for Brennan hadn't really been known parts of the cast up to that point.

Huh it's interesting that the murder mystery one is one of their more viewed episodes, as I always thought that was one of the weakest game changer episodes. There wasn't a whole lot of cast interactivity and it felt pretty on rails the whole time.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

^^
It's because Murder Mystery sounds like it will be a fun time, whereas the best Game Changers usually have a very boring, innocuous name.

I just spent 5 minutes staring at the titles trying to remember which one had the Brennan bird quiz.

Talorat posted:

The first ten minutes of lie detector are basically the perfect intro to the concept of the game, which is why they made it the first episode, but in my opinion it kind of loses its power once they reveal how the lie detector works.

For me it would be either Sam Says, because it's a very simple setup that exposes the intricate machinations of Brennan's mind, or "Do I hear 1$" because of how quickly it goes from a silly game to bottoming out the depths of depravity of the human condition thanks to Grant.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 12, 2023

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Sam Says, Do I Hear $1?, followed incredibly closely by the Escape the Greenroom.

It's definitely funnier the more Dropout you've seen, but "Brennan is simultaneously one of the nicest and the most competitive people of all time, Lou's an improv/D&D MVP, and Siobhan is a human wild card" is about as much as you need to know.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Siobhan is a madwoman.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Siobhan is a madwoman.

But she’s right, goddamn it!

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

She’s an absolute treasure

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the new dirty laundry has insane "drunk with friends" levels and I'm here for it

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Holy poo poo Beardsley is such a disaster I love it

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

now to scroll through all the guests of craig ferguson to see if there's an ancient comedian in there

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Pretty certain it's Don Rickles.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Role-playing games are art.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Pretty certain it's Don Rickles.

We initially thought Dave Chapelle, but then they got to the part where this person was old, and then I thought maybe George Carlin? But I couldn't find any mention of him having been on Ferguson. Stellar episode, even though Lily could only barely keep things on the rails with this crew.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rickles and Philbin were both regularly on Ferguson.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Alex's 'It's the scary lady...' aside just killed me.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Hey so Starstruck Odyssey is really loving great, I'm on episode 15 or 16 I think?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Hey so Starstruck Odyssey is really loving great, I'm on episode 15 or 16 I think?

Operation Slippery Puppet is one of the best tabletop moments I've ever seen.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Brennan's faint, incredulous "How did you know there's be a Plinth in this fight?!" is absolutely beautiful. Just excellent across the board, like Brennan is setting them up for slaughter and these chuclefucks somehow keep winning.

Edit: also I love Plug

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 14, 2023

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Watching with hindsight, their laughter at the plinth reveal is both them giggling at the monolith joke and barely concealed glee that they brought a wall-breaching charge to the fight and the BBEG is an actual wall

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Starstruck's a season where everything is firing on all cylinders, that's for drat sure. A+ all the way through.

Zac's character ends up being my favorite that season. Skip is the best.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Latest Dirty Laundry, we finally see Grant shocked by someone's sex talk

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Probably the best Dirty Laundry episode, mostly because they were all just piss drunk.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

:stare:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

did someone admit to ḧ̴̡̧̩́ã̵̛̤͕̥̥̲͝͠ṅ̴͈̊̕͠d̵͉̣̙̮̆͝h̷̳̍o̷̹̗̫͊l̴̥̻̦̄̅̓d̵̹̫̠̘̀̍̀i̶̛̺n̶̢͇͎̲͛́͂͗ĝ̷̱̗

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

when the secret is "I slept with my teacher" is first revealed he genuinely seemed shocked. Then when, due to a mispeak, waterworks are implied he also goes ewwww.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Mentopolis was great as an introduction to this kind of stuff. We've started Mice and Murder over the past few weeks as well and are about halfway through that.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Magitek posted:

Holy poo poo Beardsley is such a disaster I love it
Them forgetting the term "pillow talk" and coming up with what they did loving killed me. Like the whole episode was hilarious, but that in particular. Dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it's like a goddamn painting and makes no sense out of context