Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

vyst posted:

The only use case i can think of is if you do heavy photo or cinematography and need to move it to a desktop or something quick.

I know there are other ways just thinking of use cases

You'll be able to use a cheap dongle (that you probably already have if you're a computer toucher) to get HDMI or Ethernet in a pinch.
The video quality should be better too, since the Lightning adapter used a weird compressed video stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I tried the Stand By mode , wired charging but sitting up against the back of my head board.

Looked pretty cool but the time was 2 hours behind what my phone showed and it said CUP in the very middle of the clock.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fireside Nut posted:

Hey thread!

I’ve been rocking an XR for over 4 1/2 years now, but plan to upgrade to a 15 Pro Max. I have one of these wireless chargers that I use at night for my XR. It’s always worked fine for me and my spouse’s 11.

However, I don’t know anything about wireless charging standards and have no clue whether or not it will work with the 15PM (or whether it’s even a good idea to use an off-brand wireless charger with a new device)? It would be great to not have to change my wireless charge but I will if the thread experts say it’s necessary or just a good idea to avoid off-brand issues.

Thanks! :)

I actually used this exact same charger with my 13 Pro when I had an Apple Watch.

The problem I ran into is that if you have a case that protects the camera bump it's very hard to get centered right over the charger because it needs to be hanging over the edge to make flat contact. I would often wake up to see my phone slightly lifted off the charger and only be at 3% charged.

It may work with the 15 Pro but it's not a great solution. I would get a proper MagSafe setup.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I tried the Stand By mode , wired charging but sitting up against the back of my head board.

Looked pretty cool but the time was 2 hours behind what my phone showed and it said CUP in the very middle of the clock.

That’s CUPERTINO time. Why would you want any other time displayed? It’s what Steve would have wanted.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

That’s CUPERTINO time. Why would you want any other time displayed? It’s what Steve would have wanted.

Wait, seriously?!?!? I jokingly told my wife that it was Cupertino time when she asked what CUP meant.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I think I'm going with Natty Titanium over Blue. I'm sure green will be back for the iPhone 16. :argh:

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I haven’t tried to order on launch day since the iPhone 6 came out. Do they still sell out, or is there really no need to get up early for 512gb 15 pro in natural?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The pro models were backordered for a weeks (a month or two?) iirc last year

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
You might be OK with the 512GB model, but yeah, they did sell out last year.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Mister Facetious posted:

The pro models were backordered for a weeks (a month or two?) iirc last year

Oh dang, ok. Setting my alarm then. Thanks all!

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Not getting a no carrier option when setting up the pre-order through Apple. I’m on Xfinity mobile but didn’t have an issue when I ordered my current 13 pro for launch day. Now I’m only getting options for the big three carriers and nothing for just setting up later.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Gonna try to set up financing through my Apple Card. They made the program worse. You still get an unlocked phone, you still get 3% cashback and 24 month 0% APR financing, but you have to activate your phone with one of the big three carriers, which costs you a $35 activation fee. Apparently Apple gets some of that fee. What a racket.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I think I will hold out for the 16. I need at least 60fps for my ray tracing games. :colbert:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Did they just close the ability to save a phone to preorder?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Looks like the store is closed until preorders go live in six hours.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m having second thoughts about upgrading from my 13 Pro, thinking about holding out for another year. Yes my battery is already down to 87%, but I can’t go USB-C only unless I also upgrade my AirPod Pro 1. The earbuds are only 15 months old (case is 27 months old) so battery life on them is fine.

edit: That's a silly reason to not upgrade. Going with the 15 Pro 256GB blue.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 15, 2023

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m having second thoughts about upgrading from my 13 Pro, thinking about holding out for another year. Yes my battery is already down to 87%, but I can’t go USB-C only unless I also upgrade my AirPod Pro 1. The earbuds are only 15 months old (case is 27 months old) so battery life on them is fine.

edit: That's a silly reason to not upgrade. Going with the 15 Pro 256GB blue.

Lmfao

Good luck to those of you getting up early for this.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I fell asleep at 9pm eastern like an old, I’ve been up for an hour.

No preorder can challenge my circadian rhythm.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Rolo posted:

I fell asleep at 9pm eastern like an old, I’ve been up for an hour.

No preorder can challenge my circadian rhythm.

I’m old and I stayed up too late and woke up too early 😭 At least I should be able to get my phone

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I’m so tired

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s also cooling off at night so my sinuses are doing their twice a year meltdown when the seasons change. Ugh.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Am I crazy or was this not at like 3am PST last year?

Anyway it’s 5am PST now go go go

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
App/site isn’t ready yet!! :mad:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Oh cool I got in and it threw an error and now my preorder is gone.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Still not ready on my end.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Rolo posted:

Still not ready on my end.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I got my order in but had to login twice.

Macichne Leainig posted:

Oh cool I got in and it threw an error and now my preorder is gone.

noooooooo

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Big fruity company with worlds biggest market capitalization can’t handle a launch event what the gently caress

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

come on tim i just had a baby. i could be sleeping right now.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah what the hell Tim this is amateur hour stuff

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Cool, was able to get a 15 Pro 512G Natural for pickup no problem

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Yay I’m getting a new phone

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

ATT website worked great. Upgraded 2 lines, in and out in 3 minutes. Back to bed. Good luck y'all.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

I was able to complete a pre-order with AT&T, but the Apple Store is still showing me "Almost There"

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

This would be a great troll moment where I could tell everyone how I got my order in, no issues. But that would be a lie..

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
i preordered through att, upgrading a line, "free with trade" on my old 13 pro max.

256gb natural titanium set to be here on launch day :toot:

e: actually my monthly installment will be like $2.75 since i went with bigger storage

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I do wish the preorder let me fill in all the info they seemed to already have but made me reenter, but whatever.

Ok I’m off to make some coffee and bake some bread, have a nice day

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I am happy to announce that my order did NOT error out and I just got the email.

256GB blue ProMax secured

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Apple Store app stuck on loading. gently caress off timothy apple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It took 20 minutes last year.