Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cammy14
Apr 5, 2011

an iksar marauder posted:

Like there’s a lot of cool tech that’s in those raids, the screen shattering effect in thordan ex, zooms and verticality, QTEs (the cool variety where you block the big guy’s sword), obviously this is all speaking from subjective experience but I felt like the game was definitely shining a spotlight on that content complete with little tastes during the story to make you want more.

All those effects you mentioned also exists in the story versions of the fight though. In fact, some EX fights skip the QTEs and flashy intermissions in favor of all combat action all the time.

There are certainly some cool-rear end effects in savage-only boss phases, but the game goes out of their way to emphasize (as always) that those phases are what-ifs, not story canon, is kept hidden from all marketing, and absolutely unnecessary to enjoy the rest of the content. Much like the ruby & emerald weapons fights in FF7, or the trials and tribulations you go through to get that final Summon with 2 minutes of unskippable animation.

Streamers focus on the hardest content because it gets the most views, mostly from people who can't/don't want to bash their heads against that wall. Somehow this gets warped into the narrative that "you have to do this content because the streamers do it, and it must be what the game is all about, otherwise why else would the streamers do them all the time?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
I had no idea who the gently caress was going "I have to sweatprog or I'm not Succeeding" in FFXIV. Like I knew they existed but I couldn't get how in a game like that. Learning a whole lotta things today

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I mean if you ever look at the party finder, you can see plenty of people doing progress stuff

but lol at the not succeeding insert

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Good Dumplings posted:

I had no idea who the gently caress was going "I have to sweatprog or I'm not Succeeding" in FFXIV. Like I knew they existed but I couldn't get how in a game like that. Learning a whole lotta things today

- Build a game whose entire existence as an MMO rather than a single player game like every other FF is based around detailed gear/instance mechanics and a clear progression to raid.

- Some people focus on gear/instance mechanics and raiding.

Science can't explain it.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 15, 2023

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

CuddleCryptid posted:

- Build a game whose entire existence as an MMO is based around detailed gear/instance mechanics and a clear progression to raid.

- Some people focus on gear/instance mechanics and raiding.

Science can't explain it.

XIV's like the opposite of that poo poo though, it outright gives you the equip you need to do the main quests and you can just buy the starter prog equipment. You're not in a situation where you have to clear XYZ savage or you can't continue the main story, or in order to get a job's main skill you have to run an ultimate, if that was the case I could get the feeling.

In XIV, clearing the ultra-hardass raids gets you neat-looking glams since the ilvl won't matter next expansion, and a sickass mount. This is absolutely something to feel unfulfilled for if I don't obtain it

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

If 'the ilevel won't matter next expansion, no need to do the hard stuff for story' is your definition of a game not being focused on raids then there are no game focused on raids.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

lol ilevel is needed for just progressing the msq and dungeons are not guaranteed to get you there by the right level

it outright does not give you enough gear to go all the way

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The insanity of streamerbrain and cultish worship of them led to WOTLK classic having people unable to join groups for Utgarde Keep..The first dungeon of the expansion, unless they were decked out in gear from Sunwell. All because of listening to streamers. Was a huge letdown how loving bad the Classic culture got, because WOTLK classic was something I was extremely looking forward to as it's my favorite era of WoW.

it seems correct to me for gearscore brain to reach its peak during wrath tho. that was certainly the case the first time around lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Third World Reagan posted:

lol ilevel is needed for just progressing the msq and dungeons are not guaranteed to get you there by the right level

it outright does not give you enough gear to go all the way
all main story quests give ilvl appropriate gear as they go, dont they?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

all main story quests give ilvl appropriate gear as they go, dont they?

at level cap you'll get gated for the last couple dungeons/trials if you refuse to spend any of the 2m+ gil you hoarded on your way there on a couple crafted items. before level cap it's a non-issue because the game showers you in poetics, but at level 90 the bonus newbie currency isn't quite as abundant

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

2million gil seems like someone who plays too much

most of my friends are penny pinching teleports and hopping off of each other since they don't grind the game

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I can count the number of times I tried getting a class to 80 and got stuck in various dungeons since I don't have the ilevel to continue because the gear didn't drop in the dungeons.

Some times dungeons have guaranteed drops. And if you level fast enough that may not help.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

anyway play city of heroes, the last good MMO

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It really is.

Having the ability to level with your friends no matter your level and saleable content is the best.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Jazerus posted:

it seems correct to me for gearscore brain to reach its peak during wrath tho. that was certainly the case the first time around lol

lol fair, but maybe I was just lucky back in the day but I never saw gearscore gate people out of leveling crap. Just stupidly gating people out of ToC or w/e.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I got friends who still will not play ffxiv since they want to play with everyone else at end game and don't want to go through too many hours of poorly animated cutscenes.

Excuse me, you can emote or talk, but not both.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Third World Reagan posted:

I can count the number of times I tried getting a class to 80 and got stuck in various dungeons since I don't have the ilevel to continue because the gear didn't drop in the dungeons.

Some times dungeons have guaranteed drops. And if you level fast enough that may not help.

Did you do side quests? I can't recall ever hitting an ilvl barrier during the MSQ but I can recall being showered in hq crafted items as quest rewards every couple of levels, at least once you hit the expansions

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Heavensward bad? That expansion was amazing

My rating would be all good to great right after arr, with stormbliod being just ok, and endbringer down into bad again

queeb fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 15, 2023

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

as an expansion I feel people overstate the dip in story quality and understate just how much Stormblood overhauled the job system and encounter design into what we still have today

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

queeb posted:

Heavensward bad? That expansion was amazing

My rating would be all good to great right after arr, with stormbliod being just ok, and endbringer down into bad again

wtf.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

as an expansion I feel people overstate the dip in story quality and understate just how much Stormblood overhauled the job system and encounter design into what we still have today

because the majority of players started in shadowbringers, when that metamorphosis was complete. which is why people complain about "it looks the same" yeah because they finally found a set of mechanics that works

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jazerus posted:

I watched an interesting (but very long) video by foldingideas last night about how this happened, and their thesis mostly came down to the fact that damage tracker addons became a thing. Wrath was the gearscore hell, but way before that when you had addons that could tell exactly who was pulling their weight and who wasn't, the game shifts from being something where obscured systems and actions leads to more social play and less intense focus on exact numbers to something where even being slightly off optimal can get you kicked.

The example they gave was a gnome character who had a silly habit of not wearing shoes at any time, who was kind of a funny but harmless thing at launch but after damage counters became a thing he got endless harassment for it because "the stats". Once you can numerically figure out optimal play you get used to always winning and then when you lose it becomes a Major Problem.

They frame it as the difference between social and "instrumental" play, where the latter is playing it as a game to be won efficiently rather than a world that you exist in, which I find to be a compelling idea. I had a lot more fun as a player in WoW when raiding was this mythical thing for godlike players that my guildies often tried and failed at than when it was optimized to poo poo with addons and preset details where we were beating it all the time.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 15, 2023

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i liked stormblood's story more than heavensward's tbh. well the base expac stories i mean. the patch stuff in heavensward was cool but as far as 3.0 goes it just kinda ends and a lot of the plot jumps are pretty dumb (like estinien wearing armor covered in evil dragon blood and going 'this probably wont lead to anything bad') while 4.0 has cool war cutscenes and stuff and more of a sense of progression.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i liked heavensward more because it was executed better, stormblood really suffered from splitting the story between two places so awkwardly

e: but it was still really good. also ended on this amazing tune
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH0C6a9xtxM

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 15, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The Titan storyline is the worst, dumbest nonsense I've ever seen in a game. But it was the start of Heavensward, which everyone promised me was going to be better than ARR, which got me to quit FFXIV.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Load 2 GW1 heroes up with 1/4s cast time mesmer interrupts and no enemy is ever going to finish a spellcast anymore

Yeah, this guy gets it. Nobody will be able to have a better reaction time than a computer, so some things are best left to a hero-- interrupts specifically. Also includes things like curing conditions.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

LLSix posted:

The Titan storyline is the worst, dumbest nonsense I've ever seen in a game. But it was the start of Heavensward, which everyone promised me was going to be better than ARR, which got me to quit FFXIV.

The Titan storyline, possibly the low point of the entire game, is like 1/3-1/4 through ARR. Nowhere near the start of Heavensward.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The Titan storyline, possibly the low point of the entire game, is like 1/3-1/4 through ARR. Nowhere near the start of Heavensward.

I think those were two separate sentences. Titan plot was dumb AND the start of Heavensward got them to quit.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That makes more sense. Heavensward starts off pretty slow once they dump you in the sea of clouds.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm trying to think what was so bad about the start of Heavensward. I guess it's kind of slow and introduces you to the failsons at their worst?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a lot of people pitch heavensward as like, a radical revolution of the entire concept of the game, and not 'you still go around and get told to do this extremely menial, non-difficult task for 10 minutes of cutscenes, with occasionally a dungeon thrown in'

they jerk you around less (pray return to the waking sands) and its a lot better at actually having the plot move along but its still, the same game. if your issue was the writing being dull and every quest being a needlessly long process, heavensward fixes that. if you want the minute-to-minute gameplay of the msq to be more engaging, heavensward does not fix that. ive seen people get misled into thinking that it does.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

Good Dumplings posted:

If you got this from my posts in which I specifically said I enjoyed the game at large but felt it was a shame that stat/gear progression (number go up) was limited to small group content, then you didn’t actually respond to anyone, you made up a guy in your mind to reply to

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Maybe it was me pointing out that when you're doing hard progression content it is in fact not fun to have someone totally unqualified show up and wasting peoples time. Of course that's also not what they're arguing against so who knows :v:

Actually this reminds me, ff14 has a ton of what i guess you could call toxic casuals. Instead of getting butthurt and judgemental over gearscore and raid skills they get butthurt and judgemental if you enjoy anything other than "casual" content. It's kind of weird since every hardcore raider I know is also extremely invested in the story/RP communities/side content/home decor/etc. It's almost as if people who are heavily invested in the game enjoy playing the game as a whole

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

If you got this from my posts in which I specifically said I enjoyed the game at large but felt it was a shame that stat/gear progression (number go up) was limited to small group content, then you didn’t actually respond to anyone, you made up a guy in your mind to reply to

It's a shame that what

I think I'd stick with the guy I made up then, 'number go up but in large groups' is basically describing a really big War Thunder room. But then people do grind that so I guess there's a market for it

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Xun posted:

Maybe it was me pointing out that when you're doing hard progression content it is in fact not fun to have someone totally unqualified show up and wasting peoples time. Of course that's also not what they're arguing against so who knows :v:

Actually this reminds me, ff14 has a ton of what i guess you could call toxic casuals. Instead of getting butthurt and judgemental over gearscore and raid skills they get butthurt and judgemental if you enjoy anything other than "casual" content. It's kind of weird since every hardcore raider I know is also extremely invested in the story/RP communities/side content/home decor/etc. It's almost as if people who are heavily invested in the game enjoy playing the game as a whole

Parts of the goon community were insanely bad about this back in the day. (No clue if it's still the case, seems like not though) People would just brag about joining EX titan runs or w/e in ARR and purposefully loving them over as an own on the sweaty tryhards, which got tons of praise in FC chat. poo poo like that was absurd lol.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

HW started off strong with the scions dead and Alphinaud having to live with getting everyone he knew and cared for beyond his sister and a head of state murdered to actually jk they are all completely fine. While the rest of HW is pretty good the complete reversal of 2.55 basically ensured the good guys will never suffer any consequences for their actions and that sucks a lot.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I found the whole party finder circuit pretty bad too. You spend half an hour trying to get a group together, half an hour actually in the fight and then someone tilts and leaves and the party instantly disbands. Great stuff really enjoying the experience!

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I thought stormblood was better than hw by a lot. The post-stormblood quests are probably my favorite quests in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Eimi posted:

HW started off strong with the scions dead and Alphinaud having to live with getting everyone he knew and cared for beyond his sister and a head of state murdered to actually jk they are all completely fine. While the rest of HW is pretty good the complete reversal of 2.55 basically ensured the good guys will never suffer any consequences for their actions and that sucks a lot.

I don't want good guys to suffer consequences in this anime final fantasy game