Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'd personally keep isolating until I'd returned at least 2 negative tests in a row but I'm in a situation where I could take the time off without any hassle. Other people might not have that option. :shrug:

E: here's the current official CDC advice

quote:

If you had symptoms and:
Your symptoms are improving

You may end isolation after day 5 if: You are fever-free for 24 hours (without the use of fever-reducing medication).

quote:

Regardless of when you end isolation
Until at least day 11:

- Avoid being around people who are more likely to get very sick from COVID-19.
- Remember to wear a high-quality mask when indoors around others at home and in public.
- Do not go places where you are unable to wear a mask until you are able to discontinue masking (see below).
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/isolation.html

Officially you can leave isolation if you're still testing positive and still showing some symptoms (except fever) as long as you wear a mask for a bit. Seems pretty darn lax to me but :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My understanding is that home tests can only detect live virus and they aren't very sensitive, so if you're still testing positive, you nose is still shedding lots of live virus.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Seems pretty darn lax to me but :shrug:

Kaiser's guidelines are similar. They read:

quote:

* We recommend you stay home and isolate from others for at least 5 days if you receive a positive test result.
* Test again (at-home antigen preferred) on day 5 or later. If you test negative and have no symptoms or they're improving, you may end isolation. If your symptoms aren't getting better or you get a positive result on a day 5 test, continue to isolate until they improve or until after day 10. If you have a fever, continue to isolate until your temperature is normal for 24 hours.
* Wear a mask around others especially in indoor settings for a full 10 days after a positive result, even if you ended isolation earlier than 10 days.

Seems like a lot of ands and ors in there that are prone to misreading if you ask me.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
If at all possible isolate from people

I can't imagine walking around knowing you could be getting other people sick

Also people are in the main quite far from their last vaccination even people in this thread

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
And if you can't isolate because you live in a country that believes sickness is a moral failing, wear a good mask and avoid people as much as possible.

A cloth mask or a bandana is not a good mask.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Bread Enthusiast posted:

Kaiser's guidelines are similar. They read:

Seems like a lot of ands and ors in there that are prone to misreading if you ask me.

Not just prone to misreading - they don’t actually give specific follow-up advice if your symptoms have improved but you still test positive at day 5.

They’re recommending to continue isolation if you test positive at day five, but the guideline for when to end isolation is “day 10 or until your symptoms improve”? Clear as mud.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Thread title: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/fda-panel-says-common-counter-decongestant-phneylephrine-doesnt-work-rcna104424

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Saw my first other mask (other than my wife) since California in a Harbor Freight in Wisconsin. I gave him a nod, but he didn't give one back.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Stickman posted:

Not just prone to misreading - they don’t actually give specific follow-up advice if your symptoms have improved but you still test positive at day 5.

They’re recommending to continue isolation if you test positive at day five, but the guideline for when to end isolation is “day 10 or until your symptoms improve”? Clear as mud.

I don't see the problem; if you pop positive on day 5, your symptoms are irrelevant; keep isolating until day 10.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Beachcomber posted:

Saw my first other mask (other than my wife) since California in a Harbor Freight in Wisconsin. I gave him a nod, but he didn't give one back.

He was probably only wearing it because he had covid. :v:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fuschia tude posted:

I don't see the problem; if you pop positive on day 5, your symptoms are irrelevant; keep isolating until day 10.

At the very least, the wording is missing a qualifier (whichever's shorter vs. whichever's longer).

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I remember overhearing a customer at work saying he didn't bother to wash his hands after the bathroom anymore, because why bother? If people can't be bothered to wear a mask or cover their cough or sneezes, why would they wash their hands after making GBS threads either? He planned to fight germ with germ.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He was probably only wearing it because he had covid. :v:
Many such cases!

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
It's the start of a new school year and we've already had staff out sick with covid only to return for a day, "because it's the first week" before calling out sick again the following day and most of the next week. I'm assuming at least a few of their students will have caught it and will infect others and by October most of the school will have caught it, all thanks to good old American puritan value of "Taking sick days? gently caress you, get back on the line or you're gonna wind up homeless." Even with an ostensibly teacher union job.
At the very least I'm seeing a few other folks wearing masks again because of it.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I never really stopped masking other than when going to a restaurant or the bar or something where it seems a bit pointless when it's coming off anyway. If I'm sick I don't want to get the people who I see at the stores I go to every day to get sick too lol. Also Target can eat the poo poo directly from my whole rectum if they think they're getting my facial recognition data for free

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/09/13/covid-may-have-permanently-damaged-peoples-immunity/

We are now entering the early stages of "finding out".

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug
Was signed up for the new COVID booster at a local CVS. They called me this morning and told me the insurance company wasn’t covering it yet, and if I still wanted the vax, it was $190.

They told me to try again in two weeks :(

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Deep sigh

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
The pharmacy I always get these at was starting appointments on the 22nd, so I'm going to be there for the release day drop. Wake up babe, new science is out

Went moderna cuz that last pfizer one made me feel lovely where the 3 before it didn't. I'm also out of slots on my covid record cdc thing after this now 5th shot in ~3 years..good times!

e: still haven't caught this poo poo, but I do still wear kn95s when i'm anywhere with a bunch of people..mainly because I also like not getting colds and all that poo poo I used to get before masks

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 16, 2023

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

My best friend just popped positive :rip:. I am now the only person in my friend circle who hasn't had COVID (knowingly and symptomatically, anyway... I haven't been sick since 2018 or something now). She has a kid in school though so it's amazing she made it this long.

I'm buckling in for another fall semester. Some people are masking but there's only maybe three of us on campus who have actual N95s

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Day 4 of symptoms, day 3 of paxlovid - can barely walk up stairs, winded just talking, couldn’t even change my sheets.

What are the time sensitive things I can do right now in order to best aid recovery? I have POTS syndrome already, anything I can do to avoid further damage to my nervous system I’d like to do. I’m pretty anxious right now.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
actually that's just the normal symptoms of covid. don't stress over it. sleep and drink whatever water you can. eat, if possible. if you can't sleep, put on any tv series you have without ads and listen to it with your eyes closed.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Take it as easy as possible for a few weeks at least. Sorry goon, hope you feel better soon :(

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Unless you are a licensed medical professional, do not tell people to ignore their doctors. And even then unless the poster in question is your actual patient, don't do it unless you can back it up with studies or actual research in peer reviewed journals.

The poster is really telling OP to talk to another doctor hth

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Not surprised to hear that phenylephrine is a placebo. I'd been taking that poo poo for years and it never did anything for me. Fast forward to a month ago, and my retired pharmacist told me to just get Sudafed. It was like finding the light at the end of the tunnel. It's frustrating to find out an actual working medication was within arm's length for years but I didn't think to try it since it was behind the counter.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

The Grimace posted:

Not surprised to hear that phenylephrine is a placebo. I'd been taking that poo poo for years and it never did anything for me. Fast forward to a month ago, and my retired pharmacist told me to just get Sudafed. It was like finding the light at the end of the tunnel. It's frustrating to find out an actual working medication was within arm's length for years but I didn't think to try it since it was behind the counter.

Same, I just tried it for the first time this year. The only downside was it kept me awake half the night.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

I wish covid had some far more noticeable effects early on in this poo poo. Like, you bleed from your eyes, and any dude who got Covid stopped being able to get erections within a week. We'd be full masking and distancing for the entire pandemic if the latter was found to be a result of this poo poo.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Got the updated booster. Wife got knocked on her rear end a bit, I had a sore arm and tiredness for about 36 hours. Hadn't had a booster in a year at this point.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

I wish covid had some far more noticeable effects early on in this poo poo. Like, you bleed from your eyes, and any dude who got Covid stopped being able to get erections within a week. We'd be full masking and distancing for the entire pandemic if the latter was found to be a result of this poo poo.

I don't even want to see the world where covid caused erectile dysfunction, chuds wouldn't protect themselves they'd just become really violent instead

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

QuarkJets posted:

I don't even want to see the world where covid caused erectile dysfunction, chuds wouldn't protect themselves they'd just become really violent instead

I have bad news for you…

The textile* dysfunction just doesn’t start until after the initial infection.

*you know what, I’m going to leave that autocorrect. You all know what I actually typed

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

I’ve been reading various accountings of other diseases over the past few years, how they’re handled historically, and if you think any X consequence that COVID could cause would make society in general take it more seriously I am pretty sure no, such a deterrent does not exist.

Hookworm in the US South: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/how-a-worm-gave-the-south-a-bad-name/

The struggle for hand washing to prevent purpereal fever: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/article/handwashing-once-controversial-medical-advice

The way traditional funeral practices in Africa spread Ebola

Antivax sentiment started with the smallpox vaccine: https://www.history.ox.ac.uk/article/covid-19-anti-vaxxers-use-the-same-arguments-from-135-years-ago

We’re a species that until fairly recently in historical terms (a couple hundred years) had a quarter of infants die before the age of one and half of kids die before age 15, COVID’s consequences are nothing in comparison

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Day 4 of symptoms, day 3 of paxlovid - can barely walk up stairs, winded just talking, couldn’t even change my sheets.

What are the time sensitive things I can do right now in order to best aid recovery? I have POTS syndrome already, anything I can do to avoid further damage to my nervous system I’d like to do. I’m pretty anxious right now.

Talk to your doctor about metformin. Possibly a ten day course of paxlovid if your symptoms don’t seem to be resolving. Other things like iota-carrageenan or Taffix/Enovid will probably not arrive in time unless you’re in Canada or somewhere that sells it locally. You could try XClear to try and treat symptoms. Mostly though you have got to take it easy. No bed changing or dog walking or anything else that’s strenuous for you. If you have O2 monitor use it and head to the ER if it drops below 90% or if you feel like you’re not getting enough oxygen.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Neti pot with distilled water may help you clear faster.

Similarly, gargling with CPC mouthwash.

Otherwise just rest.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Already Neti pottin', dizzy/lightheaded but my O2 and heartrate are both fine.

I have to fly home tomorrow, will have finished the full 5 day of paxlovid by that time. Going to call for a wheelchair at the airport.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Already Neti pottin', dizzy/lightheaded but my O2 and heartrate are both fine.

I have to fly home tomorrow, will have finished the full 5 day of paxlovid by that time. Going to call for a wheelchair at the airport.
Hug
I sure hope you get better soon

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I now have stage 2 hypertension (real bad, like 160/100)despite as recently as less than a year ago never getting over like 125/80

Nothing drastic has changed in my lifestyle, but I got covid within the last year and I wonder if its related

this sucks

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

pencilhands posted:

I now have stage 2 hypertension (real bad, like 160/100)despite as recently as less than a year ago never getting over like 125/80

Nothing drastic has changed in my lifestyle, but I got covid within the last year and I wonder if its related

this sucks

Yeah, that’s a thing.

quote:

An analysis of more than 45,000 people infected with SARS-CoV-2 found a significant association between the virus and the development of persistent high blood pressure among those with no prior history of high blood pressure.
In addition, people with COVID-19 infection and no history of high blood pressure were significantly more likely to develop persistent high blood pressure compared to people with the influenza virus.
People with COVID-19 who are over age 40, men, Black adults or those with preexisting conditions, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, coronary artery disease or chronic kidney disease, had an elevated risk of developing high blood pressure, according to the study.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

The doctor told me to get a cuff to test myself at home to make sure it wasn’t white coat syndrome and come back in 2 weeks. Looking over the log I’ve been keeping there’s some up and down variation but I’m clearly way above whats ideal. Not sure what to expect when I go back.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

For what it's worth, up to 30% of covid survivors are estimated to have PTSD from the disease, high blood pressure is a common symptom of PTSD and a blood pressure medication called Clonidine is one of the most effective medications for PTSD.

Food for thought :shrug:

I got diagnosed with CPTSD about 3 months after I recovered from COVID and started on Clonidine and it did wonders for all of the lingering effects I had been feeling from COVID. It helped with the brain fog, the anxiety, the high BP, the pounding heartbeat, the migraines, etc. that I started experiencing after COVID.

It's definitely more common if you had serious COVID symptoms (and in my case it's partially from stuff that happened before COVID) but the general state of the world for a few years, the fear of covid, getting covid, all the stress involved, etc. are absolutely things that can cause PTSD or lesser forms of it even if you weren't on a ventilator, and not all forms of PTSD are obvious.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Sep 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

pencilhands posted:

this sucks

I tested really high before I got covid. I started throwing everything natural I can at it (meditation, hour of cardio a day, dark chocolate, beet juice, garlic pills, low sodium flexitarian diet). I'm not sure what worked, but last time I was at my Dr's for a checkup, I was anticipating being prescribed blood pressure meds despite all the work and barely paid attention as they took my pressure. 120/80. No idea what worked.

On some level it's inevitable, both of my parents have high blood pressure and are on meds for it, but I'm happy to fight for a few more years without meds.

Oddly, after getting COVID my blood pressure didn't shoot up like I was worried, but I was also on paxlovid within an hour of testing positive, and 2 weeks out from my last booster. My mother had a hypertensive crisis from covid that sent her to the ER.

TLDR; you might be able to lower it to at least low dose BP med zone. It takes time though.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 18, 2023