Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

hatty posted:

It looks fun to build and then put in a drawer

Like LEGO for adults who make bad decisions? I concur!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Rolo posted:

What happened with the PlayDate?

Still out there with season 1 games still coming apparently, but the "hype" has fizzled a good while ago. I still want one and have been resisting doing so by remembering about the delivery dates.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
hey thread, forgive me if this is answered somewhere already, but is there any current device worth getting that can emu N64 really well, and doesn't have lovely controls?

trying to get my girlfriend something handheld to play ocarina of time, but don't know what's currently out there with these capabilities.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Still out there with season 1 games still coming apparently, but the "hype" has fizzled a good while ago. I still want one and have been resisting doing so by remembering about the delivery dates.

It honestly seemed like they just built enough to send to YouTubers

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

hark posted:

hey thread, forgive me if this is answered somewhere already, but is there any current device worth getting that can emu N64 really well, and doesn't have lovely controls?

trying to get my girlfriend something handheld to play ocarina of time, but don't know what's currently out there with these capabilities.

The steam deck would work for this. Not cheap, but it is on sale currently I think. Maybe buy the 64gig refurbished and stick a microSD or a bigger SSD in it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You can also get a 3DS and she can play OOT3D if that’s all she wants

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

hark posted:

A 3DS is my favorite Zelda machine tbh. 3 native games, easy emu of previous handhelds.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

hark posted:

The Retroid Pocket 2S would do you, but if Ocarina is specifically your target I'd also say just get a 2DS.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Go wild and get her a Switch. Ocarina of Time is a part of Nintendo Switch Online and the update they put out for it made it way better than when it first dropped.

That coupled with the rest of the Switch library (including the other retro games on NSO) make it stand out compared to other options imo.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The n64 version of oot is basically unplayable after you've played the 3ds version, or really any 3d game made after like 2001. It runs at 20fps, 16.6 for PAL

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ChiTownEddie posted:

A 3DS is my favorite Zelda machine tbh. 3 native games, easy emu of previous handhelds.

Just do this.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Saoshyant posted:

I've been resisting by remembering what it was like to try and play Game Boy systems before the standardization of backlighting.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I've been resisting by remembering what it was like to try and play Game Boy systems before the standardization of backlighting.

Oh yeah, there's that too, I'd forgotten. For some unphantomable reason that screen has no backlight whatsoever, apparently. So... Crank, funny. Games, interesting. But actually using the thing for a long period? Yikes.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Rolo posted:

What happened with the PlayDate? I cancelled my preorder after a year and bought my 3+ with the money.

It came out and was just okay. I have one and it's just collecting dust, the games they released didn't do anything for me.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

hark posted:

The main problem with N64 emulation was the the original N64 controls were lovely and don't map great to modern controllers. The Retroid 2s or Anbernic 405m both can run N64 games very well though and have good controls if you can deal with the mapping of C buttons to the right stick.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Azubah posted:

It came out and was just okay. I have one and it's just collecting dust, the games they released didn't do anything for me.

Sell it to me plz

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Substandard posted:

The main problem with N64 emulation was the the original N64 controls were lovely and don't map great to modern controllers. The Retroid 2s or Anbernic 405m both can run N64 games very well though and have good controls if you can deal with the mapping of C buttons to the right stick.

Yeah, this irritated the poo poo out of me while trying to play some N64 on Switch when it became a thing.

They usually map L to L1, R to R1, and Z to L2 and that fucks with my brain since the vast majority of games don't use L and then you're using non-symmetrical shoulder buttons. I understand the mindset, but it doesn't consider how the controller was used.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sounds like you should buy the Nintendo 64 Controller for Nintendo Switch Online.

Also Microsoft did the exact same thing with Jet Force Gemini in Rare Replay, since it was the only N64 Rare game in that collection they hadn't already rereleased with modern controls. I think they did patch in modern controls eventually.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I got my free X7 Plus from Temu last night.
My initial take on it is this:
The designer should be thrown off a cliff for the shoulder buttons. You have to use pressure on the outside edge / middle of the button instead of the top of it pressing down. I kind of wonder if this can be remedied by opening it up and cleaning / sanding down the places where the plastic makes contact.
The control sticks (more of a slider pad than an analog stick) isn't as bad as I would have expected though the one on the right had limited travel until i moved it hard to the right and then it broke free and started moving the full range of motion.
The rom organization is abysmal. It's default is playing GBA games which is kind of cool but finding a game beyond the initial 12 it lists is just miserable. It claims nearly 12,000 roms but they just repeat over and over and a lot are not in English. I'll try it again with my own roms on an SD card later.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Substandard posted:

Depending on the game (Goldeneye, basically), I've mapped the c-buttons to ABXY in the past, and used start/select or L1/R1 as A and B. It's weird, but it doesn't take long to get used to it since it feels right.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Sell it to me plz

Lemme think about it.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

MonkeyforaHead posted:

The screen is very good at reflecting ambient light so it's rarely an issue. Still a strange design choice and you probably don't want one.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The playdate is supposed to be extremely niche by design. "a strange design choice and you probably don't want one" is practically their marketing slogan

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Circle of the Moon on the original GBA was so god damned hard cause I had to play near a lamp and have it angled perfectly. This was with my amazing kid eyes that didn’t suck yet.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

So a week and a half ago or so I had a $30 off coupon for Temu and I ordered an RGB20. It arrived yesterday and I got to play with it a little while watching football. I have to say I really like the setup and interface of it. The Dreamcast performance is obviously in the category of “yeah no, this cannot run dreamcast”.

Is there another os besides arkos recommended for these?

Also I went and broke down and bought a Logitech G Cloud. I got it for $196+ shipping which I thought was really fair. Now I might actually finish fallout 4.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
How do I exit a game in retro arch on the rp2s+?? I can’t figure it out :( I forgot to set up hot keys before trying any games.
Edit: I figured it out. Reset the device and then assigned hotkeys. Crisis averted!

remigious fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 19, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

They are finally shipping.

Very curious to see Russ do a video on it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh cool I’ve been looking at that too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Price to performance the deck still wins but this could be clutch if you want something smaller with a bit more power.

We will see in a few days though.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I love my deck but man I just hate traveling with it. It’s bonkers huge.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Rolo posted:

I love my deck but man I just hate traveling with it. It’s bonkers huge.

I love having something portable that can play anything I need. If I need something smaller (in my pocket), that's what the 353m is for. Getting ready for a trip next week that I'll have it along for.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So i've got an RG351V with 351elec that I like well enough. How much better is the experience with the Miyoo Mini Plus with Onion OS? Most of my frustration with 351elec is around accessing save states and such, I always feel like i'm menu diving and it sucks. Maybe i'm just using it wrong?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

The game switcher in OnionOS is great for loading you right into where you left a game

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Is there any good/go-to recommendation for a "connect to tv" console? Not portable, just something you hook up to a tv and connect some USB controllers to.
Friend of mine wants to set up something to play old games with his kid, mostly old 16-bit era stuff and some old arcade games, maybe some PSX stuff but not really a deal breaker if that's not an option (or if it makes the price jump up).

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

An amazon fire stick and some cheap Bluetooth controllers will be able to handle that no problem

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

flavor.flv posted:

An amazon fire stick and some cheap Bluetooth controllers will be able to handle that no problem

Seconding this. I have one hooked up and it's great, I use a Sega Saturn Bluetooth controller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvgTzIMTt78

Shows how to set it up

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Edmond Dantes posted:

Is there any good/go-to recommendation for a "connect to tv" console? Not portable, just something you hook up to a tv and connect some USB controllers to.
Friend of mine wants to set up something to play old games with his kid, mostly old 16-bit era stuff and some old arcade games, maybe some PSX stuff but not really a deal breaker if that's not an option (or if it makes the price jump up).

my product research so far is you can get away with the crummy Temu $40 android tv boxes with the PS2-like controllers if you're maxing it out at PSX games.

Anything past that you're looking at a minipc with a GPU or xbone in dev mode(current status sketchy)

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Edmond Dantes posted:

I bought an HP Elitedesk 705 G4 mini Ryzen 5 pro 2400GE off ebay for roughly $100 (They typically go for closer to $150 though, I got lucky) and put batocera on it and it will run everything up through OG Xbox and WiiU pretty flawlessly. The cheap PC with Batocera is IMHO the way to go. You can get plenty of used office machines in the $50 range that will easily play all the PSX stuff.

Russ has a good guide on setting up batocera on any pc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5c6KZLUWTM

https://retrogamecorps.com/2023/05/26/transform-any-pc-into-a-retro-gaming-console-batocera-guide/

Substandard fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 21, 2023

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Aya Neo Pocket Air Review

Aya takes the same OLED screen and shell and battery for their Aya Neo Air x86 handheld and puts a slightly higher end MediaTek Dimensity chipset in there, creating a sort of higher end Ayn Odin Lite... but since the Ayn Odin 2 is set to come out, it will be obsolete pretty quick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW_ClEoEoRw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxNR5vtZmcQ

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Edmond Dantes posted:

Most any of the handheld devices that have both Bluetooth functionality and HDMI out would work well for this purpose as well, the Powkiddy RGB30 or the Anbernic RG35XX are two of the better recent options

And yeah you could just use a Fire TV stick but while that is probably the most budget friendly option it's also a lot more fiddly in the setup than using one of the Linux based devices that have custom firmware for them since those usually handle most of the tinkering with emulator settings for you, you just need to supply the ROMS and BIOS files

Oh and lastly if he owns an Xbox Series S or X console(or even the Xbox One X) he could go down the Dev Mode route for emulation(also kind of fiddly and definitely overkill for what he wants but definitely an option if he already owns the console in question)