Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

2014 and I did a Cobb OTS about a year ago. It's so much better. The difference in first gear is night and day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cactus Ghost posted:

how does one even pay $15k in a private party transfer? the only kind of cash purchases that big i have personal experience with involved an existing working relationship, is there some kind of escrow or something people use for doing purchases like these between strangers? i'd prefer not to withdraw fifteen thousand dollars in hundred dollar bills if i can avoid it

but i also wouldn't blame him for like, not wanting to take a check or a phone app transfer

Do the transaction at a branch of your bank/credit union, they’ll have a notary too if your state requires that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Test driving a '20 was enough to tell me that I wasn't going to compromise on not being able to get a hatch with a car that delivered its power so poorly.

It's like not even raw unrefined delivery (which was a delight in my 2002) or somewhat lumpy but workable in my 2011.

It was straight up "Is this car actually broken? No way they would release it like this."

Broke my heart too not have a WRX for the first time in 18 years, but you have to build a competitive product. I'm happy with my Golf R from a driving perspective even if I find the styling terminally dull. It's a bit clinical, but you can tell someone actually put time into the factory tune.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Corolla GR seems pretty cool.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

Starting at $20k over MSRP

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Are they all like that, or just the Morizo edition? Not going to be buying one. Our 2014 WRX hatchback has like 35k miles on it. I introduced my wife to the term "garage queen," so she goes around telling everyone it's her garage queen. I told her it was derogatory, but she said she's taking it back.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
There is a Core version listed near me for $47,000.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

large hands posted:

Get an OTS tune from cobb and actually enjoy driving your car. The stock tune is awful garbage. There isn't another way and you will potentially lose the warranty.

e: I made it a year with my 2020 before I gave up and got the tune. Wish I hadn't waited that long

Can I avoid warranty issues via flashing back to stock?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

amenenema posted:

The chip knows how many times it’s been flashed.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

does flashing and flashing back affect smog, or just warranty

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

amenenema posted:

No, but there is a grey area that you can operate in sometimes with a dealer that cooperates.

Edit: They can also tell when you money shift and there are so many people that just can't drive a stick shift lol.

daslog fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 14, 2023

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

daslog posted:

No, but there is a grey area that you can operate in sometimes with a dealer that cooperates.

Edit: They can also tell when you money shift and there are so many people that just can't drive a stick shift lol.

At least in Canada I know the clutch is specifically excluded from warranties

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If it would have been around when I was shopping in 2019, it would have been the top of my list (assuming I could actually buy one.)

Now, I just don't want to get involved in car shopping for the 60 miles a week I drive. If anything I would swap the BRZ out for a new one, but that's a PITA now too.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I ended up with the WRX hatchback after waiting for the FRS/BRZ for a couple of years and then not loving the cockpit feel. I think I'm just a little too claustrophobic for that type of setup. In the end, the WRX hatch was a great choice for me. Thing has been an absolute champ.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also this conversation triggered a very funny memory. I cross shopped the WRX, Focus ST, and Mazdaspeed 3 at the same time. The Mazdaspeed 3 had already been discontinued and the dealer was very proud of the fact that they had one of the last new ones. Wanted like 10k over MSRP, more than the WRX. I had a good hearty laugh at that at that and thanked them for their time.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Cactus Ghost posted:

how does one even pay $15k in a private party transfer? the only kind of cash purchases that big i have personal experience with involved an existing working relationship, is there some kind of escrow or something people use for doing purchases like these between strangers? i'd prefer not to withdraw fifteen thousand dollars in hundred dollar bills if i can avoid it

but i also wouldn't blame him for like, not wanting to take a check or a phone app transfer

Real answer is a cashiers check from the bank. You just pop into your local branch, ask them to cut you a check for that amount from whatever account it's in, and the bank acts as the guarantor (vs a private check). Postal Money Orders are similar, but like what was mentioned earlier, you might as well just meet someone at the bank to have the notary take care of the title transfer and do the cashiers check exchange there anyways. It's the main reason I maintain an account at a local regional bank vs just using an online bank only.

I don't know what Zelle's daily transfer limit is off the top of my head, but I've transferred 4kish with that before. I've also done a temporary ATM limit increase to get a bit over 2kish out of ATMs after meeting with the seller, but that was a royal pain because individual ATMs have low limits, so I had to visit 2-3 different ones to get the full amount.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Catatron Prime posted:

Real answer is a cashiers check from the bank.

Nope. I would never accept a cashier's check for a car or equipment sale. They are much too easy to fake and have been for decades now. Most people have caught on to that.

I was literally printing checks from black paper stock on a not-exceptionally-special laser printer that has special magnetic toner for the micr numbers in something like 1996. It's not new technology and none of the materials or equipment are controlled. It's something lots of businesses have used for a long time.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 15, 2023

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

Nope. I would never accept a cashier's check for a car or equipment sale. They are much too easy to fake and have been for decades now. Most people have caught on to that.

I was literally printing checks from black paper stock on a not-exceptionally-special laser printer that has special magnetic toner for the micr numbers in something like 1996. It's not new technology and none of the materials or equipment are controlled. It's something lots of businesses have used for a long time.

I've never had an issue with using one or receiving it? The trick is to always reach out to the issuing bank through their normal customer service line and verify the check to ensure it's valid. Plus having the notary sign off and record license info is another layer of paper trail for fraud, especially at the bank where there's cameras that makes it riskier for a fraudster. Even though you can print checks and buy magnetic ink, there's still a reason that's the default payment method for large transactions.

I would say that's better than money, because you can print money just as easily, or pad fakes in a stack of real bills, and you're not a target for theft with an untraceable stack of cash.

Trust but verify is the only way to protect yourself. I know people that have run into the exact same fraud situations with digital transfers via paypal and whatnot as well, where the initial transaction was revoked several hours after an apple watch was handed over in person. Anything that seems fishy, like asking for a refund for paying too much upfront, requests to mail or wire money, or anything odd is probably a scam.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Catatron Prime posted:

I've never had an issue with using one or receiving it?

Congratulations! Also, I've never been eaten by a tiger.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I bought my kit via two cashier's checks, but the guy selling it wasn't exactly in need of the money.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

When I bought my BRZ from the dealership in "cash", I got a certified cheque from the bank, which basically pre-withdrew the amount from my account on the stipulation that the money would be returned if the cheque wasn't deposited within 14 days or something like that.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Oh, yeah, so quick summary for the VA WRX: Get an AP and OTS stage 0 tune (or whatever they call it)? If that's going to make my life better. I will do it tonight. I just wanted to confirm.

E: done, thanks!

I will need to figure out non-AP stuff for the 818 once it's built enough to fire up.

carticket fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 16, 2023

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

carticket posted:

Oh, yeah, so quick summary for the VA WRX: Get an AP and OTS stage 0 tune (or whatever they call it)? If that's going to make my life better. I will do it tonight. I just wanted to confirm.

That's correct

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

well i did it. jesus christ this thing is scary fast. after almost a decade of driving a prius it's like riding a racehorse. it just wants to go like hell

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cactus Ghost posted:

well i did it. jesus christ this thing is scary fast. after almost a decade of driving a prius it's like riding a racehorse. it just wants to go like hell

welcome to the dark side :gritin:

probably gonna do the whole forced induction thing on my BRZ next year. it's just an extra 50% hp/torque, what could go wrong

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
FI on an 86 FA is the path to pain

I have a uselessly long "build" thread over at ft86club that started out that way https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149422

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 17, 2023

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

FI on an 86 FA is the path to pain

I have a uselessly long "build" thread over at ft86club that started out that way https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149422

The Harrop would be my first choice for the supercharger really, didn't realise your car had one. Annoyingly I had a chat with the one harrop shop here and apparently it's not being made currently. They suggested the HKS kit, but after reading a 70+ page thread where there were lots of failures and a bunch of different revisions which doesn't exactly inspire confidence in it. Although really the car feels fast enough for me at the moment and I've not even done a (catted) header with a tune.

Edit: Forgot this was the subaru thread, I mean well it's got enough bloody subaru logos on the drat thing anyway

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 18, 2023

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

track day bro! posted:

The Harrop would be my first choice for the supercharger really, didn't realise your car had one. Annoyingly I had a chat with the one harrop shop here and apparently it's not being made currently. They suggested the HKS kit, but after reading a 70+ page thread where there were lots of failures and a bunch of different revisions which doesn't exactly inspire confidence in it. Although really the car feels fast enough for me at the moment and I've not even done a (catted) header with a tune.

Edit: Forgot this was the subaru thread, I mean well it's got enough bloody subaru logos on the drat thing anyway

It's definitely the most OEM kit there is, and it'll feel different since it is a positive displacement blower vs the centrifugal HKS kit. I kind of wouldn't be surprised if the HKS kit keeps the transmission alive longer, but that is definitely the first issue after solving cooling if you want to track a FI one.

Rocket ship for sure. I didn't put much track time on mine before swapping but the way circumstances and the way lap times were trending made me think it would have been quicker than my Miata once sorted. On one hand that is to be expected based on power to weight, on the other it is still surprising given what the car is (compromised parts bin).

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 18, 2023

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

there's definitely a long history of major-manufacturer parts-bin sports cars that it slots real well into

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

It's definitely the most OEM kit there is, and it'll feel different since it is a positive displacement blower vs the centrifugal HKS kit. I kind of wouldn't be surprised if the HKS kit keeps the transmission alive longer, but that is definitely the first issue after solving cooling if you want to track a FI one.

Rocket ship for sure. I didn't put much track time on mine before swapping but the way circumstances and the way lap times were trending made me think it would have been quicker than my Miata once sorted. On one hand that is to be expected based on power to weight, on the other it is still surprising given what the car is (compromised parts bin).

I was suprised how many failures there were with the HKS kit and the fact that they made 4 different versions of it. I saw someone saying it's the syncros that are weak in the BRZ/86 box and they'd replaced them with ones from Verus. But then I saw your car had a fancy built gearbox that ate itself so idk. Coming from the MR2 where the box was good with power levels around 600bhp out of the box but then I was turning the boost way down on track to run longer is kinda funny.

Even then I have a feeling I'll be happy enough with just the headers and tune, although I found out that the Euro facelift cars got none of the engine changes (exhaust/intake manifold, some internal changes and different gearing?) that Japan and the US got so essentially my 2018 cars motor is identical to a 2012 one. I honestly thought there was a difference because the older cars are marked with the Euro 5 emissions standard but the facelifts are Euro 6. But with these things it's just that the engine met the stricter emissions requirements already and the older cars aren't certified for it. Maybe the JP/US cars can't meet the Euro 6 spec dunno.

I did fancy a GR86 at MSRP, but they all sold out here as again Europe is only getting like two tiny allocations which I missed out on both and now any available cars are going for like 40 grand which for that price I might as well buy a porsche or something.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

2014 and I did a Cobb OTS about a year ago. It's so much better. The difference in first gear is night and day.

I shoulda done this way sooner. Also learned that the free ground shipping from SubiMods is basically next day for me since it's only CT->NH. I figured they were just drop shippers.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I didn't really listen to any of you, sorry.

mutata fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 21, 2023

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

mutata posted:

the important part is you didnt buy a loving crossover

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

mutata posted:

:whatup:

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Cactus Ghost posted:

the important part is you didnt buy a loving crossover

I don’t know if I put the attributes on paper, if I could point to on line of numbers and tell you if it’s a hatch, cuv or wagon. As near as I can tell most of these lifted wagons count as cross overs and a lowered macan or something counts as a hot hatch. All cars have such high ride heights and this point it feels meaningless to me to try to differentiate.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Suppppp

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sadi posted:

I don’t know if I put the attributes on paper, if I could point to on line of numbers and tell you if it’s a hatch, cuv or wagon. As near as I can tell most of these lifted wagons count as cross overs and a lowered macan or something counts as a hot hatch. All cars have such high ride heights and this point it feels meaningless to me to try to differentiate.

An Outback is a wagon. It's a length versus height (not counting lift - you go off of the Legacy base) thing, mainly, to my mind.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

what's the groupthink on killer B oil pickups and pans? how about their air/oil separators? I don't exactly plan on hurling my new sti into a tree just yet but from the sound of it these items address some known cost/benefit compromises in the car's design that can help reliability long-term. or am i just getting smoke blown up my rear end

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
The two builders I know don’t recommend pans unless you’re going to track a bit on sticky rubber. I forget the guidance on pick ups, I hear moroso or killer b are good. And I think the Subaru one got updated at some point? So it may depend on what year you have. I’m far far less confident on my opinion here though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Cactus Ghost posted:

what's the groupthink on killer B oil pickups and pans? how about their air/oil separators? I don't exactly plan on hurling my new sti into a tree just yet but from the sound of it these items address some known cost/benefit compromises in the car's design that can help reliability long-term. or am i just getting smoke blown up my rear end

Killer B makes some of the best products for Subarus IMO. With that said, whether you need these things really depends. Some stock pickups were manufactured in a way that stressed them and made them prone to cracking, which would kill the engine. A killer B pickup fixes this. But if your car isn’t affected by this issue then it’s of no benefit. Also, there are other pickups that will fix the issue as well (my last motor had a Moroso pickup that worked well). An upgraded oil pan gives you more oil capacity and potentially keeps more oil on the pickup to reduce the likelihood of oil starvation, depending on its design. But again, if you aren’t tracking the car hard, you won’t need it. It’s a big investment and you’ll go through an extra two quarts of oil every change. I did a lot of tracking on my last engine with a stock pan and never had an issue (using 300TW tires). So an upgraded pan makes sense on a fresh build and/or a car that will get a lot of tracking

With regards to the AOS, again, they are there to fix an issue. That issue is oil going into the engine from the crankcase ventilation. You will get more oil in the intake if you are getting more cylinder blow-by due to hard use (track driving), looser rings (built engine), or more power than stock (tune). The stock AOS (the design of the stock Subaru crankcase and heads actually comprises an AOS) will be adequate for a daily driven car in good shape at stock power levels.

The Killer B AOS differs from others such as IAG in that it doesn’t have coolant running through it for heating and it doesn’t use intake vacuum from after the throttle plate, only vacuum from the inlet in front of the turbo. So when the engine is idling/not in boost, it’s likely not pulling nearly as much vacuum on the crankcase as other units or the stock setup (but you will have a lot less blow by when not in boost). I prefer the IAG setup for this reason but haven’t run the KB one so idk. Personally I would find the best tuner/shop in your area that does a lot of cars and ask them which AOS they prefer, then buy it from them.