Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

No. 6 posted:

Didn't DICE get started as modders for BF2 and were brought on because the actual devs couldn't make helicopters work?

The devs for Desert Combat, a modern warfare mod for Battlefield 1942, were bought by DICE to help develop Battlefield 2. So you were in the right direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Overbite posted:

John Riccitielo should be spanked on his bum

Fruits of the sea posted:

Booth girls but its only executives

please stop posting about your fetishes in this thread

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I really hope they get crushed into the dirt with some combination of lawsuits EU regulations and at least one attempt at murder from an unstable gamer. If this delays silksong for even a second I'll lose my god drat mind.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

When folks in the industry talk about how gamers suck, this is the gamer we're talking about.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I think that guys already lost their goddamn mind

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

games rule. this should be a forum rule

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

ShinAli posted:

They've used master/slave terminology for some system, and resisted people pushing for it to change for awhile until they relented. They had a lot of comments like "this is just US political correctness culture" with their push back. Those kinds of responses really turn me off, even for a relatively minor thing.

Choosing to use and stick with master/slave is a dogwhistle.

Thank goodness for Unreal. Devs now get to choose between the racist game engine, the bleeding-money game engine, and the shader cache stutter game engine.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fragrag posted:

The devs for Desert Combat, a modern warfare mod for Battlefield 1942, were bought by DICE to help develop Battlefield 2. So you were in the right direction
Yeah, they were briefly DICE New York before getting cut loose with a lot of bad feelings. They changed name to Kaos Studios and went onto make Frontlines: Fuel of War and Homefront 1 for THQ before going down with that particular ship.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
well well well

look who comes crawling back to us engine devs

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Heran Bago posted:

Thank goodness for Unreal. Devs now get to choose between the racist game engine, the bleeding-money game engine, and the shader cache stutter game engine.

I keep telling people to roll their own tech and release on dreamcast. But no one bites.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Floor is lava posted:

well well well

look who comes crawling back to us engine devs

My org laid off our engine team last year and switched to unity.

Lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

they changed it within a couple days and the devs are argentinian, and master/slave was pretty standard for a while. i dont think the godot guys are members of the klan

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pictured: a racist

https://twitter.com/reduzio/status/1040672074707218432

https://twitter.com/reduzio/status/1040732902634545158

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Master/slave is still common parlance in the automotive industry. Don't see any push to have that changed any time soon

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Heran Bago posted:

I'm totally sure the unity CEO has absolutely no abhorrent personal views or politicians donated to that are significantly worse than "using previously standard english engineering terms in an engine across a language barrier and then removing it when the context of it was explained"

i don't get the desire to swing in with a "all sides are just as bad as each other" argument unless it's trying to morally justify why sticking with the lovely company is fine actually

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I hear Bjarne Stroustrup supports class hierarchy and inheritance. :capitalism:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

fridge corn posted:

Master/slave is still common parlance in the automotive industry. Don't see any push to have that changed any time soon

It's common parlance in ALL industries. How many people sleep in "master" bedrooms? I mean, I'm all for changing it everywhere, I don't give a gently caress, but to call using "master/slave" a dogwhistle is a real "gamer move", as it's called.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

fridge corn posted:

Oh really, the Elon Musk and Henry Ford industry?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

declaring a guy a racist for life because he needed to have a couple conversations before making a major terminology change really is peak games forum

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Endorph posted:

declaring a guy a racist for life because he needed to have a couple conversations before making a major terminology change really is peak games forum

Typical gamers, am I right, Endorph?!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
There's a Touhou game where they use Master/Slave in an engineering sense to refer to some magical nonsense and let me to tell you

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

FishMcCool posted:

I hear Bjarne Stroustrup supports class hierarchy and inheritance. :capitalism:

just wait until you hear about all the parents and children sent to garbage collection

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

mutata posted:

It's common parlance in ALL industries. How many people sleep in "master" bedrooms? I mean, I'm all for changing it everywhere, I don't give a gently caress, but to call using "master/slave" a dogwhistle is a real "gamer move", as it's called.

Comparing "master/slave" to "master bedroom" is glossing over the most problematic part of "master/slave"

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Just say Herrschaft and Knechtschaft instead

Deep cut for the philosophy people

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

mutata posted:

Hell, there are articles from as recent as 2020 talking about whether the term should be changed talking about hard drives. It's a really unfortunate term, but that a foreign developer may not be aware of the issues with the term until its explained to them, and according to the tweets, Godot did change it instead of doubling down and refusing. I'm not a fan of Master/Puppet, but it's still better than the alternative.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

drizzyno: master/puppet
drizzyyes: master of puppets

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Glad the guy reneged after pushback.

I don't seriously think the entire game engine is racist because of one guy on top or that there are only three engines to choose from. Thanks for setting me straight though. I'll try to add /s if I'm taking the piss next time.

I wanted to see if any Godot developers have talked about the Unity thing. Most I found was this banned former dev who has a different axe to grind.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Fragrag posted:

This is what my was rattling around in my head. Thank you.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Heran Bago posted:

I wanted to see if any Godot developers have talked about the Unity thing. Most I found was this banned former dev who has a different axe to grind.
Most of the main developers I follow on Twitter had something to say about the Unity thing. You'll have to go look for them yourself though, sorry.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Jose Valasquez posted:

Comparing "master/slave" to "master bedroom" is glossing over the most problematic part of "master/slave"

You'll have to take that up with your local realtors, my dude. Godspeed!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

ikanreed posted:

Oh really, the Elon Musk and Henry Ford industry?

Don't forget VW and the Nazis!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Heran Bago posted:

I may not've been on Twitter that day 'cause I don't recall seein' any hot takes from Juan, but they did take the classy route and choose September 12th to introduce their new funding / donation platform.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

mutata posted:

You have poor reading comprehension. That wasn't what he said at all. Unless you're telling me that there's a realtor who calls room "slaves" bedrooms?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I think the conversation around master/slave terminology and all posts relating to it have run its course. Please return to the game industry itself.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Heran Bago posted:

That ex-dev seems... a little unhinged in that thread.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Randalor posted:

That's also from 2022 so not even related to the latest Unity stunt.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

mutata posted:

in non racist terms we call it the main bedroom

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Randalor posted:

lol more than a little. he seems to have just had some normal disagreements with the godot leadership over the engine's design philosophy but then got banned from contributing after going on unhinged rants about wokeness and calling one of the other devs fascist for being russian.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

just wait until you hear about all the parents and children sent to garbage collection

and what’s all this I keep hearing about a “based class?” sounds very right-wing adjacent

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Immortals of Aveum dev laid off nearly half the studio after poor sales

https://twitter.com/sweetpotatoes/status/1702393619917791310

https://twitter.com/BretRobbins/status/1702397324755083719

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Barry Convex posted:

Immortals of Aveum dev laid off nearly half the studio after poor sales

https://twitter.com/sweetpotatoes/status/1702393619917791310

I thought this said Avernum and was very confused !!!