Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Game fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I have played about half the story and i gotta say i really love how Li Mei looks and moves, same with Ashrah. NRS really outdid themselves.

So far the only character i have a problem with is Nitara. She suffers from the celebrity voice over problem of sounding like she was recorded in and exists in a completely different soundscape than the other voice actors. It sticks out like a sore thumb and her line readings are all terrible.

She sucks! Which sucks because i was very excited for Nitara and she didnt sound that bad in the trailer what happened

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Story mode neat so far, but I'm barely into it. I'm playing as Raiden, it's only like Chapter 4. Game plays pretty fun, even though it's still dial-a-combo it feels more fluid than 11. Also I was curious what'd happen if you tried to throw without a Kameo fighter, since the animations are pretty hard-coded to need one, so I kept spamming them every time the story didn't give me one. Answer: the AI gets really good at throw breaks, but if you actually get one through, it's an ineffectual shove that does 20 damage.

Also Johnny Cage is married, holy poo poo lmao. Evidence for my "Cassie pissed Liu Kang off really, really badly and he bent his entire plan for the universe around preventing her conception" theory continues to accumulate at an alarming rate.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

man nurse posted:

I might get booed out of the thread for this but, does this just feel bad to play to anyone else? I remember 11 feeling a lot more fluid. I’m not talking about the overall speed, I’m talking about how everything feels so loving stiff. I’m just not a fan so far.

Reverse for me, i remember at launch 11 felt fluid but playing past week or so it didnt anymore, and this was coming from a big series playthrough too lol. Mk1 feels great to me

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Diabetic posted:

I pre ordered the game off of Amazon, does anyone know how you get the code for Shang Tsung?

Should be in the box

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

theBeaz posted:

Great! Well if you have an Nvidia card and encounter it later - setting your GPU Power Management to Max Performance (globally or just for MK) helps mask the issue.

Thread with more reports here if anyone else has the issue: https://reddit.com/r/MortalKombat/s/lLjihU9udw

That would explain it, I have it set to max power indeed.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Did the story and like 6 hours of invasions so far. Games fun. Reptile is a blast to play.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gotta say, this is probably the dumbest MK plot yet. The only thing it’s missing is backstage interviews and everyone stepping into the ring before they fight.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Unfortunately, it seems that the PC version, once theres some lag online, drops vsync for the rest of the match making it a teary mess :(

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Gotta say, this is probably the dumbest MK plot yet. The only thing it’s missing is backstage interviews and everyone stepping into the ring before they fight.

All is right with the universe, praise be to Fire God Liu Kang

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I find the fact that the PC executable is named MK12.exe quite amusing for some reason.

Sushi X
Jan 13, 2001

Diabetic posted:

I pre ordered the game off of Amazon, does anyone know how you get the code for Shang Tsung?

Curious about this too. The official website doesn't link Amazon as a store for the pre-order bonus.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Sushi X posted:

Curious about this too. The official website doesn't link Amazon as a store for the pre-order bonus.

If it's anything like when I pre-ordered RE4 remake (like 2-3 days before the release lol) I got a code emailed or maybe even text messaged to me from an Amazon automated service on the day of release.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
What does Sareena's ground portal do? I keep accidentally using that and have no idea what it's even doing

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

CapnAndy posted:

Answer: the AI gets really good at throw breaks, but if you actually get one through, it's an ineffectual shove that does 20 damage.

You can do a normal throw without a kameo.

Scorpion does like a jump up with his spear, Li Mei has some poo poo with her lion, and Sub Zero freezes them then jumps up over and hits them with an ice weapon. I dont know enough about the gameplay system to say why sometimes you shove and why sometimes you throw with the kameo doing damage and why sometimes they do their own move :shrug:

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 15, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I take it there is a lot of randomness in who you fight in the pyramid climb at the end. My favorites:

- An absolute abomination of a combo of Quan Chi and Mileena called Jawspell
- 2 version of Scorpion-Kung Lao: one with the name Scorp Lao and one with the name Stung Lao. The second is so much better that I don't know why the first one was even left in as an option.
- Lady Repitle and Lady Ermac
- A Kung Lao/Raiden, which is a hat on a hat :rimshot:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

PostNouveau posted:

I take it there is a lot of randomness in who you fight in the pyramid climb at the end. My favorites:

- 2 version of Scorpion-Kung Lao: one with the name Scorp Lao and one with the name Stung Lao. The second is so much better that I don't know why the first one was even left in as an option.

I thought "Scorp Lao" was a stretch, then when "Stung Lao" showed up shot air out of my nose. They absolutely did the bad one to make the good one more funny

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
I dont like how theres no intros, no character voiced intros from versus, in the towers. Unless im missing something. Feels like an oversight

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

I dont like how theres no intros, no character voiced intros from versus, in the towers. Unless im missing something. Feels like an oversight

Yeah that’s one big downgrade from 11 imo. I think they smack talk in the load between character select and fight, but it’s not the same.

In regards to my comments about the stiff gamefeel, I think that was impressions from playing early invasions mode. The story fights have felt much fluid and better.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

How does Kung Lao play? He’s been my main since MK9. I won’t be able to play until Monday :cry:

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Panderfringe posted:

What does Sareena's ground portal do? I keep accidentally using that and have no idea what it's even doing

iirc it drains their meter while an opponent stands in it

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

man nurse posted:

Yeah that’s one big downgrade from 11 imo. I think they smack talk in the load between character select and fight, but it’s not the same.

In regards to my comments about the stiff gamefeel, I think that was impressions from playing early invasions mode. The story fights have felt much fluid and better.

I thought it felt stiff too when I was just loving around in practice. I put the game down for dinner and when I came back to it everything felt better. So maybe it's a matter of getting used to the games feel.

Mover posted:

iirc it drains their meter while an opponent stands in it

Ah, thank you.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
There are a few QoL things that were in MK11 that are thus far missing from MK1. For me the big one is the ability to pin special inputs to the screen and the ability to see what gear you haven't unlocked (and where to unlock it). TBH my initial thoughts were "oh good, not as much gear to grind for" but they seem to have compensated by making the grind harder. Which makes me miss the previous approach since at least you got more dumb poo poo.

Like, I remember unlocking a gun holster for Cassie that had a pink camo pattern. It was so tacky I had to use it. This is why we allow AAA publishers to exploit the stupidest parts of ourselves.

If I had to pick between more gear options and more combo options, though, I'd pick the latter, and holy poo poo the offense in this game is so much less limited than MK11.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I think after playing for a bit I'm convinced the game was rushed to release to make a quarterly mark or something (as if the rushed marketing and Kasts wasn't evidence enough / putting obvious IJ3 characters into DLC). Basic-rear end stuff like highlighting moves to sticky on the screen being missing, to even not having loadout slots for skins, so you're stuck with just one that you edit from the Kustomize screen? It feels like the overall game features and options are a downgrade in terms of oversight. I feel like there's gonna be quite a few patches rest of the year to rectify poo poo. It's a shame because the general gameplay is good but I never thought an NRS game would feel less complete than a Street Fighter one, but first time for everything!

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

maruhkati posted:

If I had to pick between more gear options and more combo options, though, I'd pick the latter, and holy poo poo the offense in this game is so much less limited than MK11.

100%. I've had about an hour of lab time so far and I'm still trying to figure out my best combo routes and setups and kameo synergy and I'm having a blast with it

By an hour into MK11 I was like "oh... launcher into d1xSpecial really is all there is, huh"

Most of the gear options were worthless junk anyway. Oh good, a dozen different options for Scarlets blood canisters which are completely unnoticable on a character I'll never play

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

maruhkati posted:

There are a few QoL things that were in MK11 that are thus far missing from MK1. For me the big one is the ability to pin special inputs to the screen and the ability to see what gear you haven't unlocked (and where to unlock it).

Also when you open the move list you now have to press X to show frame data. Annoying and completely unnecessary.
You also can't see the ping during matches.

Oh well, I'm sure some of this stuff will get patched back in eventually, it's pretty obvious they were rushing the release date.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

How does Kung Lao play? He’s been my main since MK9. I won’t be able to play until Monday :cry:

I've always liked Kung Lao, and he seemed like one of the more enjoyable [strike] characters [/strike] kharacters while I was trying everyone out.

his new Kung-cussion move is fun. It's good at grabbing airborne opponents, so it works well as a kombo finisher. It's also you giving the opponent a battle noogie, so it'll probably be an amazing move for tilting angry bois online, if you're so inclined.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I am disappointed that all the characters basically have only one accessory now. Playing the towers for a million hours to get just the right dagger/mask combo for Skarlet was fun, eff the haters.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

pretty soft girl posted:

Most of the gear options were worthless junk anyway. Oh good, a dozen different options for Scarlets blood canisters which are completely unnoticable on a character I'll never play

They kind of still are. The thing is, there are ones I actually do want, and MK11 would at least let me look at which ones I hadn't unlocked yet and tell me how I could unlock them (and with them, the neurons in my reptilian brain that fire when I win a dumb hat for my favorite character - I have always loved making my characters wear dumb hats). This means wasting less time on the grind.

QoL stuff should be patched in as the game progresses. Hopefully we'll get lots of that, plus more of my favorite characters. I'd love this game more if it had any of my previous mains in it. I really enjoyed learning Kenshi last night but I'd drop him in like a nanosecond for Erron, Cassie, or my man Nubulus Vladimirovich Saibotsky.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

PostNouveau posted:

My favorite is the Johnny Cage/Shao Kahn variant calling himself 'John Kahn-er'. :allears:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Pet peeve: it takes forever for the shrine to finish its animation and then let you dump more coins into it. There’s a weird pause or load after you get your reward.

Also are the daily and weekly quests acting bugged for anyone else? It’s not really tallying my uppercuts or ground attacks or projectiles for example.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Only had time to play the tutorial invasion, but already very doubtful I'm going to like it nearly as much as the Towers of Time. Those were such great single player content, and this seems like it's going to have way less replayability.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I’m kinda glad that neither of my mains from the previous two games are in MK1 because it gives me some room to branch out. Li Mei seems like a pretty straightforward character with some swaggy combos, and I like Ashrah’s light/dark gimmick. I get a kick out of seeing all this rehabbed 3D era trash.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Sushi X posted:

Did you order the Premium Edition? I'm just curious because I know my copy was sent out from Kentucky this morning, I'm supposed to be guaranteed a delivery today, but there ain't no way in poo poo that arrives today.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I hate hate haaaaaate the stupid over-fiddly gear system they used for IJ2 and MK11 (and 10 too, maybe? I forget). Stop it. You are a fighting game. The outfits your characters wear are supposed to be iconic. Make some skins with actual artistic intent behind them that look cool, don't give me a bunch of random drops and leave me with characters that look like they rolled around in a Spirit Halloween while half-asleep and half drunk.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

CapnAndy posted:

I hate hate haaaaaate the stupid over-fiddly gear system they used for IJ2 and MK11 (and 10 too, maybe? I forget). Stop it. You are a fighting game. The outfits your characters wear are supposed to be iconic. Make some skins with actual artistic intent behind them that look cool, don't give me a bunch of random drops and leave me with characters that look like they rolled around in a Spirit Halloween while half-asleep and half drunk.

MKX did not - it just had full skins.

Personally, I think it's fun to make my characters look as doofusy as possible. I had Cassie wearing a pink camo pattern gun holster plus the dorkiest glasses you can imagine. It's a compulsion of mine that goes back to every CAW I ever made in Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain.

MK1's gear system seems to split the difference and offer all the downsides of both without the benefits of either. It's not dumb and overly customizable enough to be goofy, but it's not pure enough to offer a single iconic design either

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Haven't played since MK9 but still follow new games with great interest, so I while I can't say much about the gameplay, here's a few stray observations I had:

- Story Mode: I'll agree with whoever said this is the flimsiest one yet. It feels weirdly toothless and low-stakes until it becomes supremely ridiculously omni-stakes at the end. The goon here who said they were aiming for a Deadly Alliance - Deception - Armageddon speedrun expressed it best. I did enjoy Good Guy Baraka/Reptile/Mileena/Tanya but they did almost nothing with Havik and Reiko is so painfully bland that I'm half-convinced NRS considers him a practical joke now. His moveset looks extremely pedestrian and uninspired as well.
- Story Highlights:
> The friendship development between Cage and Kenshi
> Ashrah's introduction
> Madam Bo
- Story Lowlights:
> Shang: "I killed your family already, Reptile." Reptile: "Oh no! Anyway,"
> Megan Fox's voice acting (it's not as bad as Rhonda Rousey's, but it's up there)

- Character Design Changes, the good:
> Shang's perma-smug expression is awesome
> Giving Quan Chi his intense withering gaze back
> The "ninja" costumes all look fantastic, with Reptile as the standout
> Li Mei's slightly tired Outworld beat cop aesthetic is great
> Geras's design is glorious - he looks majestic and otherworldly at the same time

- Character Design Changes, the bad:
> The face designs for Kenshi and Cage look too much alike to me
> Shujinko looks too much like Shang Tsung
> Why does Quan Chi suddenly look Indian - is the idea to visually remind us of Mola Ram from the Temple of Doom?
> The face designs for Kitana/Sindel/Mileena look off-putting somehow, like they're botoxed-up distant relatives of the Kardashians
> Ermac's design is terrible and it gets worse once he becomes Jerrod - it somehow looks unfinished
> I miss Quan Chi's deep, buttery voice from MKX

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I thought quan chi looked a bit like Ben kingsley ghandi but i do see the mola ram similarity.

I just couldn’t see and hear anyone but bob odenkirk when johnny cage was onscreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
I think NRS came into this game with a very, VERY clear idea of what they wanted the gameplay to be: bring it back to MK9. And they knock it out of the park: it really feels like MK9 but better. They put all their focus into it and made what looks like their best competitive fighter yet (unless the community discovers new tech that breaks the meta - the game isn't even out for everyone yet). By contrast, I think they were a lot more muddled on the concept for the story and presentation elements. Every part of the game that doesn't occur between "FIGHT!" and "FINISH HIM!" has a kind of design-by-committee level of inconsistency. It's like they don't feel confident in these parts of the game and they're being included out of a sense of obligation. (And we still don't know when or if we'll be getting crossplay).

Still, if there's only one part of your fighting game that feels like it was designed with purpose, it should loving well be the actual fighting.

maruhkati fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 15, 2023