Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Oh, yeah, I forgot - 1.0 didn't actually involve the PC in cutscenes. Instead you chose a "companion" that was the person that actually experienced the story.

Yoshi dealt with the companion problem when he introduced Gaius. The catgirl gladiator was one of the companion NPCs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87OO1i_WMHA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Mr. Nice! posted:

Oh, yeah, I forgot - 1.0 didn't actually involve the PC in cutscenes. Instead you chose a "companion" that was the person that actually experienced the story.

Yoshi dealt with the companion problem when he introduced Gaius. The catgirl gladiator was one of the companion NPCs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87OO1i_WMHA

lmfao. wish he would have finished the job with the rest of them

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
also why the hell is that scene better than most of ARR? geeesh

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That Little Demon posted:

also why the hell is that scene better than most of ARR? geeesh

cutscenes were one of the things 1.0 splurged on, much like flower pots

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Runa posted:

cutscenes were one of the things 1.0 splurged on, much like flower pots

which they overcompensated for with the 16-triangle ShB grapes

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Because ARR was made in slightly over one sleepless year and 1.0 used a lot of expensive motion capture.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

hopeandjoy posted:

Because ARR was made in slightly over one sleepless year and 1.0 used a lot of expensive motion capture.

it was the same team at that time though? why is the villain in 1.0 so much more interesting than anything from ARR lol, in a 2 min cutscene???

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I like how poo poo the audio quality for Gaius is in that cutscene, I can't even tell if it's Richard Epcar.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

it was the same team at that time though? why is the villain in 1.0 so much more interesting than anything from ARR lol, in a 2 min cutscene???

Although Gaius was definitely the baddy in ARR, he's not the ultimate villain in 1.0. He actually helps the team a bit because he's opposed to project Meteor.

That cutscene was also a symbolic message to the playerbase that things had changed behind the scenes. The old gods were dead.

And, yes, 1.0 was the most beautiful game in cutscenes because they had a fantastic engine for doing cutscenes. They didn't have a great engine for making dynamic gameplay, though, and had strained their art budget so much that the overworld was literally four to five different textures rotated.

Selane
May 19, 2006

The companion thing was the result of one of Tanaka's stupid-rear end policies(just one of many) where he wanted people to be able to play through the main story on ANY class, including crafters or gatherers. And the reason the cutscene looks fancy is because 1.0 used motion capture, so the cutscenes were like the one thing that were good quality.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I think a lot of Before Meteor's problems can be sumized with the point that it was the worst excesses of FF XI's design philosophies (Level Down asides, if that was A Thing in BM I'm pretty sure that would have been the absolute death of the game) with the engine (and slavish devotion to the game being pretty over any sort of care for UX) of XIII.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 15, 2023

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
On a wholly different note, I've been leveling PLD since I already have GNB/DRK leveled to 90 and want to just get all tanks to 90 at this point. Haven't really understood the appeal until just now. Had the healer die 1/3 of the way into the last boss of Skalla and was able to keep the two DPS and myself alive for the rest of the fight. That was pretty drat cool :shobon:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I was the last man standing in an exdr boss and I was gonna let myself die but the dps started cheering me on so I soloed it

It would have been significantly quicker to just reset and get the help of the dps but I didn't want to let them down

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

reversefungi posted:

On a wholly different note, I've been leveling PLD since I already have GNB/DRK leveled to 90 and want to just get all tanks to 90 at this point. Haven't really understood the appeal until just now. Had the healer die 1/3 of the way into the last boss of Skalla and was able to keep the two DPS and myself alive for the rest of the fight. That was pretty drat cool :shobon:

After a certain point, PLD and WAR can solo most normal content in the game due to their insane amount of self healing. It’s really fun and also harrowing at times as you struggle to save a deep dungeon run on the penultimate boss with everyone else dead.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Azys Lla sucks.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

SirSamVimes posted:

I was the last man standing in an exdr boss and I was gonna let myself die but the dps started cheering me on so I soloed it

It would have been significantly quicker to just reset and get the help of the dps but I didn't want to let them down

i misstepped and got pasted at the end of paglth'an the other night when boss was at like 60% and that war just did their thing and chipped em down. by the end they were the only one still alive and as the others joined me i spectating we kept cheering more and more in chat. it was charming

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I was pretty close to giving up on PLD, it's awfully boring at 50, but being able to pull off those clutch hail maries is worth it alone.

Also,

Zurtilik posted:

Azys Lla sucks.
:wrong: I think that might be one of my favorite looking zones in the game, so badass and unique

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
PLD 50 eh? The class really starts to shape up into something I love from 50-60+ with the spell use, hit up those class quests asap. :twisted:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SirSamVimes posted:

Those are always tricky to judge, but the rest of the team cheering helps differentiate between a hero and a jerk. First one of those I did was the 85 dungeon just after it came out so people were unprepared. I'd just gotten Bloodwhetting and was giddy about what I could do, and the rest of the party was as well.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Watching a tank drag victory from the jaws of defeat is a lot of fun but sometimes it's like "no I wanna fight too".I guess it's kind of based on how far along the fight is when the healer hits the floor

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

There have been a couple times, when I know the tank, where I've typed "please don't make us all watch you try to solo this thing for 20 minutes," after a trial or raid has gone wrong.

I've been the tank in those cases before too, and while it can be fun for a few minutes I wall it if it's going to take longer.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 15, 2023

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Doomykins posted:

PLD 50 eh? The class really starts to shape up into something I love from 50-60+ with the spell use, hit up those class quests asap. :twisted:

Oh thankfully I’m already at level 78, but syncing down to 50 is particularly painful on PLD. Nice to be done with all those class quests, 50-60 was as awful as everyone made it out to be. 60-70 wasn’t too bad! Nice simple storyline, and I always appreciate any Nanamo appearances

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

In my Savage raids I have a reputation for being the last person to give up on a wipe, but that's mainly because I'm so focused on getting my part right I don't notice everyone's dead.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

FuturePastNow posted:

I've been the tank in those cases before too, and while it can be fun for a few minutes I wall it if it's going to take longer.
This is my general philosophy too. If it's the last 5-10% or so then I'll solo the boss, if it's like 50% I'd rather reset.

One time I did stick with it and save a run was in Bozja on Metal Fox Chaos. I was on Bloodsucker Warrior so I was basically invincible anyway. Everyone else in the CE managed to die at like 40% but 1) might as well try to get the mettle for everyone and 2) I was trying to qualify for the duel. I successfully soloed the boss from 40% but I got a vuln stack at like .3% so while everyone else was celebrating, I was fuming because I did all of that and didn't even get to do the duel afterward. I switched to Red Mage, rezzed a few people, and left the instance to go be mad lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Void ark was a fun series of raids. I didn’t get the cards or minions though so I’m loving pissed

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Void ark was a fun series of raids. I didn’t get the cards or minions though so I’m loving pissed

i think i ended up getting every other alliance raid minion before i got anything from the 60s, need rolls are weird

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Alexander is boring so far but I also hate the goblins

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Alexander is boring so far but I also hate the goblins

Yeah it sucks rear end. Some cool fights though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Uplander is downtalking gobbiekind? Uplander soon finding friendlack when needmost.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Uplander has come to wrong housingneighborhood.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Think I hate them more then Lalafel lmfao. Impressive

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I could take or leave the FFXIV goblins, but Alexander himself is very cool

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Alex is great for the music. Metal, the Brute Justice remix, and Rise are some of my favorite ffxiv music.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
someone just gave this to me in the bathroom of a club lmfao

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Mr. Nice! posted:

Alex is great for the music. Metal, the Brute Justice remix, and Rise are some of my favorite ffxiv music.

:yeah:

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Alexander story I found pretty boring for the first few raids but it dramatically picks up around the last third

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

someone just gave this to me in the bathroom of a club lmfao

Lmfao

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Wondering how noted ARR disliker Little Demon liked HW MSQ? ARR/HW Spoilers: I didn't feel as down on ARR as you did but I did feel that down about the ascians, who are generic plot pushers and the worst writing in ARR imo. The dude who kidnaps Minfillia felt like the worst asspull in the game. Seeing Thordan come down on Lahabrea as "I'm a God!" had me howling with laughter, then he addresses the WoL in the same way. If you refuse to acknowledge my divinity, meet me in combat. That entire build up and fight rules and I wish the trial was statted to be harder so I could see and do more of it. What an impossibly epic banger of a track. The fine touch on his last 10% is :discourse: too, when he loses his confidence.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Doomykins posted:

Wondering how noted ARR disliker Little Demon liked HW MSQ? ARR/HW Spoilers: I didn't feel as down on ARR as you did but I did feel that down about the ascians, who are generic plot pushers and the worst writing in ARR imo. The dude who kidnaps Minfillia felt like the worst asspull in the game. Seeing Thordan come down on Lahabrea as "I'm a God!" had me howling with laughter, then he addresses the WoL in the same way. If you refuse to acknowledge my divinity, meet me in combat. That entire build up and fight rules and I wish the trial was statted to be harder so I could see and do more of it. What an impossibly epic banger of a track. The fine touch on his last 10% is :discourse: too, when he loses his confidence.

its much, much better than ARR, by a country mile. I am in the post game now, all raids and extra dungeons / trials / quests done except doing Hildibrands quest which I have saved, and meeting with Aymeric, which is the actual quest I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
looking forward to TLD's thoughts on the omegas for sure

its much, much better than ARR, by a country mile. I am in the post game now, all raids and extra dungeons / trials / quests done except doing Hildibrands quest which I have saved, and meeting with Aymeric, which is the actual quest I think

Nice! I'm glad you're a little less glum about it. Stormblood is...interesting, I enjoyed it in a certain way, but i'm not peacing out of your LP journey until you hit Shadowbringers. Really really want to see your thoughts there.