Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

MA-Horus posted:

lol at having telework

My company mandated a full return to campus and canned anyone who could not or would not comply

Imagine the surprise when some very mission critical tasks were no longer being performed!

We had to be able to run our courses 100% from home (for reference, we teach trades like building, automotive, electrical) anything we didn't have like Webcams we had to buy with our own money, inability to do so was basically a firing offense.

Then immediately after covid restrictions eased we had to go back to the office and working from home was forbidden, despite the institute spending quite a lot of money on the I.t needed to make it work.

And, as mentioned by others, management didn't seem to need to come in as they apparently are trustworthy enough to work from home unlike us peasants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
UAW's going on strike in about 75 minutes and doing selective strikes of certain Big 3 plants - a stand-up strike. The UAW elected a firebreather, so they're not taking the usual bullshit. My favorite quote in the Detroit Free Press's FAQ here:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2023/09/14/when-does-uaw-strike-happen/70847246007/

quote:

The union is seeking a significant boost in wages (they requested 40%), job security and a return of regular cost-of-living adjustments and pensions among other things. The companies want to limit the rise in labor costs at a time when they are also spending money to invest in a transition toward electric vehicle production. As of Wednesday, according to Fain, Ford's wage increase offer was highest, at 20%, followed by GM at 18% and Stellantis at 17.5%.

The union argues that worker wages have fallen far short of the rising cost of living and with the high price of new vehicles many workers can’t even afford to buy what they build. The companies have also been profitable for years, launching stock buyback programs and issuing dividends. The union says the percentage was pegged to the increase in CEO pay in recent years.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
gently caress yeah. I hope they get way better concessions from those blood sucking fucks.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

facialimpediment posted:

UAW's going on strike in about 75 minutes and doing selective strikes of certain Big 3 plants - a stand-up strike. The UAW elected a firebreather, so they're not taking the usual bullshit. My favorite quote in the Detroit Free Press's FAQ here:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2023/09/14/when-does-uaw-strike-happen/70847246007/

I bet it would be extremely popular to require publicly traded companies to increase minimum and median compensation at least at the same rate as executive compensation. Which of course means it will never happen.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

as a park ranger, my suggestion is, don't.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I am very much enjoying how the UAW said “we don’t need everyone to strike, just the people that build stuff to make car go”

The big three can eat poo poo.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Can you do a GIP AMA about being a park ranger? Got some big life junctures coming up in the next few years and working for NPS/BLM could figure into that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Can you do a GIP AMA about being a park ranger? Got some big life junctures coming up in the next few years and working for NPS/BLM could figure into that.

Username/post

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I sometimes make a point of reading leaked classified poo poo.

I would like future handlers/attorneys/&c. to know that I absolutely never read leaked classified poo poo, partake of illegal narcotics, or take loans from illicit lenders.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Yawn.

Wake me when they do that to a brown bear.

Actually, scratch that. I don’t want to see the aftermath.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Platystemon posted:

Yawn.

The results would be rather grizzly :dadjoke:

AllenFarnsworthIV
Apr 12, 2021

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Did you do batman training too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJG66CoOLwc

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

I'm an interp ranger, so my training is in desperately telling people why they shouldn't do that before they get themselves gored :v:

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I don't know how great of a resource I would be since I'm still relatively fresh (Just started my first perm gig 6 months ago after spending 5 years as a seasonal), but I'd be happy to try and answer any questions you may have. I believe there may be some other NPS or BLM folks in the Federal Job thread as well.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

close yellowstone to cars, make shuttles or even light rail, weld the doors shut. Next problem, im on a roll

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Platystemon posted:

Yawn.

Black bear is worse. Brown bear will knock you down gently caress you up chew on you then leave generally if they aren't actively hunting you for food. Your not really a threat and they are just protecting what's theirs. Black bear isn't stopping till your scattered over the better part of a football field. Every year in AK we had a couple and with one exception black bear was always the worst.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

I was in the process of buying a car last month when the news came down that they voted to strike. I let the dealer know that until the whole thing gets resolved, I'm not buying anything from the big 3. Even though I'm not UAW currently, I'm still not crossing that picket.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
You guys look like you aren't angry enough today.

https://jezebel.com/there-are-now-tests-that-can-detect-if-someone-took-abo-1850839647

For those not interesting in clicking that, Poland is leading the charge in absolutely insane malice towards human beings.
They can now test if people took abortion pills and prosecutors are actively investigating pregnancy outcomes using this test.
We can probably assume they aren't doing this to ensure that women are in good health after getting an abortion.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Coasterphreak posted:

I am very much enjoying how the UAW said “we don’t need everyone to strike, just the people that build stuff to make car go”

The big three can eat poo poo.

I'm in favor of the UAW getting what they want, but let's not forget that the primary alternatives to the Big Three are nonunionized Tesla or imports

so let's hope that UAW and mgmt sort things out? always forever tesla eat poo poo

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

pmchem posted:

I'm in favor of the UAW getting what they want, but let's not forget that the primary alternatives to the Big Three are nonunionized Tesla or imports

so let's hope that UAW and mgmt sort things out? always forever tesla eat poo poo

A tesla isn't a realistic alternative to a lot of people, whether it's on price, capability, or reliability.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

pmchem posted:

Yeah, my argument since I was a kid was always "if things are equivalent, buy American". Big 3 cars used to be absolutely poo poo quality, now they're much closer to equal.

A.o.D. posted:

I was in the process of buying a car last month when the news came down that they voted to strike. I let the dealer know that until the whole thing gets resolved, I'm not buying anything from the big 3. Even though I'm not UAW currently, I'm still not crossing that picket.

One big thing to be wary of - strike-produced vehicles may have lots of oversight issues that assembly workers missed or hosed up. There may be minimal truth to that, but once the strike resolves, you may still want to wait for those cars to clear the dealer lots.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

A tesla isn't a realistic alternative to a lot of people, whether it's on price, capability, or reliability.

totally agree, but I'm talking companies, and as far as selling new vehicles go they're a lot closer in competition than you'd guess in terms of money people are spending:
https://www.coxautoinc.com/market-insights/cox-automotive-analysis-gms-q2-2023-u-s-market-performance/
https://insideevs.com/news/681850/tesla-average-transaction-price-was-54660-usd-july-down-20-percent-yoy/
"GM’s average transaction price (ATP) rose by 4% to $52,451, a record high"
"Tesla's Average Transaction Price Was $54,660 In July"

main difference is that GM is selling big money trucks and the non big-3 replacement there is an import not a tesla

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah, my argument since I was a kid was always "if things are equivalent, buy American". Big 3 cars used to be absolutely poo poo quality, now they're much closer to equal.

I’ve been hearing this since i was a teenager and i cant say I believe it for a second. The last (ever) big 3 vehicle i owned was a 2004 model and Ive never been happier to get rid of a vehicle.

The Bolt EVs are supposed to be pretty great tho so of course they got canceled.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Any buy American argument is also further diluted by the fact most of the “foreign” car manufactures have several us plants and all of the big US 3 make a portion of their cars sold in the US overseas.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

That Works posted:

I’ve been hearing this since i was a teenager and i cant say I believe it for a second. The last (ever) big 3 vehicle i owned was a 2004 model and Ive never been happier to get rid of a vehicle.

The Bolt EVs are supposed to be pretty great tho so of course they got canceled.

All absolutely fair! But I do believe on/around 2010 is when the Big 3 finally got their act together and stopped manufacturing so many poo poo vehicles that people would just buy on reputation.

Xenoborg posted:

Any buy American argument is also further diluted by the fact most of the “foreign” car manufactures have several us plants and all of the big US 3 make a portion of their cars sold in the US overseas.

It is always funny how union drives get squashed in those southern plants. And yep - like how the Mustang Mach E is made in a plant in Mexico. "Buy American" really isn't an easy slogan to live by anymore!

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

My VW GTI has had some problems, but nothing quite like my dad's 2021 Ram. He's had 2 windows explode sitting in the driveway and a charging system that hasn't functioned properly since he brought it home. Half a dozen batteries, 3 alternators, relays, control boards, new head unit... still running dead.

It's frankly incredible.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

facialimpediment posted:

All absolutely fair! But I do believe on/around 2010 is when the Big 3 finally got their act together and stopped manufacturing so many poo poo vehicles that people would just buy on reputation.

Im not at all trying to be a dick or argumentative here so read it with benign intent but yeah i have also heard every few years “around 199x / around 200x, around 201x is when things turned around!”

Just not seeing a lot of big 3 cars 5-10 yrs old with 150k miles on them still going strong vs Toyota, Honda etc. Ofc this is all very subjective and confirmation bias is real so yea not trying to have a serious debate. Just… “the big 3 is good now” is like “cold fusion is a decade away” to me.

Given the relative cost of a foreign model of known good quality (that i would argue in support of) vs an equivalent big 3 product its never a chance I see myself taking again. Also as referred to whats “better” a toyoya built in Tennessee or an “American” car assembled in Mexico etc. its all very fluid now.

Aside from all that, solidarity for UAW, i hope they get everything

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

That Works posted:

Given the relative cost of a foreign model of known good quality (that i would argue in support of) vs an equivalent big 3 product its never a chance I see myself taking again. Also as referred to whats “better” a toyota built in Tennessee or an “American” car assembled in Mexico etc. its all very fluid now.

Aside from all that, solidarity for UAW, i hope they get everything

Yeah absolutely, no argument there and/or you may be more right than me on everything else! The Big 3 have absolutely, positively earned their lousy reputation with a lot of people. Though to be clear, lol BMW too.

And for content: https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1702549378559263148

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah absolutely, no argument there and/or you may be more right than me on everything else! The Big 3 have absolutely, positively earned their lousy reputation with a lot of people. Though to be clear, lol BMW too.

And for content: https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1702549378559263148

Definitely lol BMW too, I live near the SC plant and they barely pay $18 an hour for line level stuff. Grocery stores pay better.

I mostly say gently caress the big three because they took my taxpayer dollars when they were broke but now they won’t pay it forward, cough it up fuckers

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Isn't it at a bit of a cross purpose to go all-in on solidarity with the UAW getting everything they want, but also lamenting that you shouldn't buy from the big 3 because they're too expensive for what you get?

A big part of the Japanese import market's value proposition is based on having hyper-efficient production systems and cheap non-union labor. The sort of production systems the UAW fights against because it results in headcount reduction.

UAW was offered a 20% pay hike, they're asking for a 32% pay hike, plus COLA, while simultaneously lowering the full time work week to 32 hours without a reduction in pay. Which, if calculated by rate, is a 65% raise before COLA is taken into account.

I'm not moralizing, if they can get it good for them I guess, but it doesn't seem like a sustainable strategy to me. That sounds like it will just hasten the transition to making EVs with non-union labor and make domestic production non-competitive with non-union imports.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Youll have to take my 2015 Lexus with 100k miles made in the USA from my cold dead hands. Paid off, never encountered so much as a wiper fluid warning light. Extended warranty just expired based on time, unlimited drive train miles.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jarmak posted:

Isn't it at a bit of a cross purpose to go all-in on solidarity with the UAW getting everything they want, but also lamenting that you shouldn't buy from the big 3 because they're too expensive for what you get?

A big part of the Japanese import market's value proposition is based on having hyper-efficient production systems and cheap non-union labor. The sort of production systems the UAW fights against because it results in headcount reduction.

UAW was offered a 20% pay hike, they're asking for a 32% pay hike, plus COLA, while simultaneously lowering the full time work week to 32 hours without a reduction in pay. Which, if calculated by rate, is a 65% raise before COLA is taken into account.

I'm not moralizing, if they can get it good for them I guess, but it doesn't seem like a sustainable strategy to me. That sounds like it will just hasten the transition to making EVs with non-union labor and make domestic production non-competitive with non-union imports.

Cant speak for anyone else but i never said the big 3 was too expensive, just that they made a lovely product for the most part. Gonna bet that any price hikes blamed on UAW aren’t gonna decrease their profit margin tho

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

It's not just reliability of the cars off the lot but also the warranty and maintenance support over the lifetime. Back in 2015 a friend bought a Toyota Tundra from a used truck dealership under the Ford umbrella, which meant the warranty was a Ford warranty. Something went catastrophically wrong with the rear differential and she took it to the local Toyota dealership for repair.

The Toyota dealership said "differential is hosed we need to replace it" and contacted Ford to authorize the warranty work. Ford said "nah that's too expensive do this alternative repair to the differential that's all we'll pay for". The Toyota dealership fired back with "Toyota procedures are clear that we need to perform a replacement, your repair procedure will never get it back to 100% and we refuse to perform substandard work" So she ended up having the truck in the shop for six months until Ford finally agreed to pay for what was supposed to be the Toyota standard repair.

Also this friend grew up working in her dad's auto shop so I trust her judgment when she says she believes it really was Ford was trying to cheap out on repairs and not the Toyota dealership trying to upcharge.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Depending on the source in quick googling, labor is anywhere from 5-15% of the cost of a vehicle. That's why the UAW head is saying "hey, double our pay and you still make billions, gently caress you".

I immediately make farting noises when I hear CEO-style arguments about competitive labor rates. Somehow, that argument is always used to successfully argue for or reduce blue-collar hourly wages but somehow never end up cutting CEO pay or reducing the company's amount of stock buybacks. Until CEO and executive level pay starts massively deflating down, I couldn't give a flying gently caress about unionized versus nonunion versus cheap labor rates - it misses the problem.

Sorta the same deal with the writers' strikes. The CEOs and studio heads would rather lose $500M than give the writers their $300M asking cost. Then they'll bark about the unreasonableness of the proposal in the trade papers. gently caress 'em, don't even engage in the math unless they're deflating their own salaries too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

That Works posted:

Any concession made to labor is a weakness that must be destroyed

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Jarmak posted:

If the increase the manufacturing workers are asking for is too much, why did the board approve similar raises for executives?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'm an interp ranger, so my training is in desperately telling people why they shouldn't do that before they get themselves gored :v:

I don't know how great of a resource I would be since I'm still relatively fresh (Just started my first perm gig 6 months ago after spending 5 years as a seasonal), but I'd be happy to try and answer any questions you may have. I believe there may be some other NPS or BLM folks in the Federal Job thread as well.

Whoa nice, ranger work always seems fascinating. In your experience are the benefits acceptable if not spectacular? A buddy was a WA state ranger & exactly the type of worker they would want long term as he had a degree in biology & is bilingual, hard working/affable & saved a life with their defibrillator kit, & has encyclopedic knowledge of WA wildlife. The problem was they paid near starvation wages even with housing provided & he did the math & realized if he stuck around his family would be in near poverty. Changed jobs & doubled pay overnight.

Got the impression while most of the other rangers were ok they had needed to lower standards to have staff. One ranger mostly known for making moms who brought kids to the park uncomfortable backed a truck up to the breakroom & loaded up the shared fridge to give to a buddy who was a bar owner. That’s it that was his whole plan, somehow hoping no one would notice or that he wouldn’t be instantly caught & fired, which he was.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

hey remember that time the Hyundai plant in Alabama got caught with a bunch of 14 year olds working the graveyard shift

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

shame on an IGA posted:

hey remember that time the Hyundai plant in Alabama got caught with a bunch of 14 year olds working the graveyard shift

Really admirable that so many teens learn the value of hard work.
- R voter (probably)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

Show me the dodge FCA Stellantis model that isn't a complete piece of poo poo

not trying to be a brand warrior here I work at an engine parts supplier and it's incredibly sus how little product they send back compared to the other OEMs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Yo every single bit of that looked better than my military training in every single way.