Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I think I see the post-apocalyptic genre as being set fairly soon after the apocalypse to where you're still intensely feeling the effects of the collapse of civilization. I don't think three thousand years later really qualifies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah — we haven't seen anything about the actual apocalypse on-screen in the show (yet?), so one might be forgiven for thinking it's just "society has gradually degraded from the High Old Times to the present medieval swords and sorcery" a la LotR, rather than "the world pretty much exploded and this is how far they've rebuilt it in 3000 years"

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Yeah — we haven't seen anything about the actual apocalypse on-screen in the show (yet?), so one might be forgiven for thinking it's just "society has gradually degraded from the High Old Times to the present medieval swords and sorcery" a la LotR, rather than "the world pretty much exploded and this is how far they've rebuilt it in 3000 years"
There was an animated short last season about the apocalypse.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I can't remember if this was in the show itself or if it was part of the supplemental bonus videos but to give a sense of apocalyptic scale it's called "The Breaking of the World" and there are examples of why that name is extremely literal

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

I can't remember if this was in the show itself or if it was part of the supplemental bonus videos but to give a sense of apocalyptic scale it's called "The Breaking of the World" and there are examples of why that name is extremely literal

Even in this latest episode Rand says "From up here the world looks like it still fits together, like it's not broken" or some such. And the sheinarans whole thing is about having to face the monsters from that time still to this day.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

"The world is still broken" seems to be a pretty consistent message they're trying to hammer in

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

Rand definitely has a case of ProtagonistPower in terms of like, Channeling is supposed to be very difficult and take a lot of practice, but even as someone with literally zero training he can come up with the thing he just happens to need at the time. There's an in universe reason, kinda, but, it's still a trope for a reason. Less so when WoT was first written, but we're not in the 80s anymore lol.

the show is different enough from the books that I don't know what all the answers here will be as far as what lanfear was doing with the power, but I think the relationship stuff is probably gonna be more clearly explained really quickly in the next couple eps.

The relative power levels were kinda already explained a bit earlier in this episode, and have been shown a bit in others, too, in terms of like: Strength in the power doesn't make you superhuman. Yeah you can create a shield or even literally change the face of the continent if you're strong enough, but if you get your head chopped off you still instantly die. That's why Aes Sedai have warders, because an arrow in the back still kills you even if you can throw magic nukes, but a second set of eyes to watch your back can save your life.

IDK what exactly happened with Lanfear here that she didn't die. There's some good theories based on book info stuff, but this isn't the thread from that.

Spoilers on the very technical details of power levels only- (RJ kept detailed notes about this so there's actual info to be had here at least) Some of this might have been mentioned by Moiraine in the show, in ep 8 last season, but I don't remember.

There's a range of how strong someone can be in the power, and Rand and Lanfear are at the very top of the scale. If you looked at it as a 1-10 with 10 being the strongest possible, they're a 10, Nynaeve is like 9, Egwene and Elayne are 7.5s, and the average Aes Sedai is a 5, with a couple standouts like Moiraine and Siuan at 6.

I'm generalizing this a lot and it'll probably be spelled out in more detail down the line specifically as the characters themselves learn more about channeling in universe.

Good explanation, other than on power ability Rand is more like a 15.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

LionArcher posted:

Untagged spoilers

We really don't know how they are going to handle certain things, so maybe talking about what Goku's power level will be in his Super Saiyan form is a little premature. We haven't even seen Frieza's second form yet!

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Colonel Cool posted:

I think I see the post-apocalyptic genre as being set fairly soon after the apocalypse to where you're still intensely feeling the effects of the collapse of civilization. I don't think three thousand years later really qualifies.

Though it's got the issue of a lot of fantasy where it's not just distant post-apocalypse but it's also relatively stagnant/fading rather than having done any real recovery. The real ancient/medieval world didn't have vast expanses of wilderness with no people to speak of in them, unless it was inhospitable land that could only support scattered populations or humans literally hadn't gotten there yet; at best it had people who just didn't create large settlements. Fantasy where you can travel for days through empty wilderness full of ruins just kinda got baked in as "not really post-apocalyptic" because Tolkien did it (as a deliberate sign of a crumbling world) and D&D did it (as a setup for exploring wilderness and ruins.)

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

While "post-apocalypse of a sci-fi world" is technically correct it seems, yeah the specific words and how they're typically used evokes more of a recent apocalypse of a world full of futuristic electronics and computers or something, a more typical sci-fi setting.

Referring to it as the fall of an advanced civilization feels a bit better to me, an Atlantis sort of deal. That fall does sound very apocalyptic though.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Nihilarian posted:

"The world is still broken" seems to be a pretty consistent message they're trying to hammer in

its fine

LionArcher posted:

Good explanation, other than on power ability Rand is more like a 15.

where is goku on this scale

where is piccolo

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Phenotype posted:

its fine

where is goku on this scale

where is piccolo

Which Goku? He pretty much definitionally is more powerful than Rand, because his plot armor is stronger.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

NinjaDebugger posted:

Which Goku? He pretty much definitionally is more powerful than Rand, because his plot armor is stronger.

I need more details about Goku’s plot armor so I can make an accurate comparison.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Hey I’m only up to The Fires of Krillin, don’t loving post book spoilers in here!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Rand's plot armor has a name

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Nihilarian posted:

Rand's plot armor has a name

Plot jacket.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

ok starting this next episode and i still maintain they had plenty of time to chop her to pieces and stuff her into a collection of sacks

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Another good episode. I'm pretty sure I know what's up with Lanfear now, as far as her regenerating at least. Also Aviendha!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

sweet geek swag posted:

Another good episode. I'm pretty sure I know what's up with Lanfear now, as far as her regenerating at least. Also Aviendha!

You can't just say this and they're not expand upon it

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

pik_d posted:

You can't just say this and they're not expand upon it

I don't want to get more specific, other than giving Forsaken regeneration avoids certain problems that would be present in a TV adaptation.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I didn't expect Pippin to grow on me so much! Something about him gives off serious side character vibes -- he was the Big Guy in the original group's Main Guy/Main Girl/Big Guy/Sleazy Guy/Shy Girl dynamic -- so it was a surprise that he's getting so much screentime.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Okay, finished the episode. And again, I'm only half-serious here, because you can't get all tactical realism about why the protagonists didn't immediately start mutilating a lady's corpse. But now that we know more about Lanfear, it still seems like it would have made more sense to have done SOMETHING more at the end of last episode. Holy poo poo, you run away and then you can't fall asleep EVER or she'll just Freddy Krueger you at her leisure? Like, it seems like they can't exactly put off dealing with her, and I have a hard time imagining a successful plan that begins with a better start than stabbing her in the heart and cutting her throat.

That was a really good episode, and I'm enjoying this a lot more than the first season. I'm starting to wonder about how they're going to adapt future seasons, though, we've already got Rand and Perrin off on their own adventures, and now Egwene and Nynaeve look like they've been separated into their own solo journeys too. :ohdear: Egwene

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Phenotype posted:

Okay, finished the episode. And again, I'm only half-serious here, because you can't get all tactical realism about why the protagonists didn't immediately start mutilating a lady's corpse. But now that we know more about Lanfear, it still seems like it would have made more sense to have done SOMETHING more at the end of last episode. Holy poo poo, you run away and then you can't fall asleep EVER or she'll just Freddy Krueger you at her leisure? Like, it seems like they can't exactly put off dealing with her, and I have a hard time imagining a successful plan that begins with a better start than stabbing her in the heart and cutting her throat.

That was a really good episode, and I'm enjoying this a lot more than the first season. I'm starting to wonder about how they're going to adapt future seasons, though, we've already got Rand and Perrin off on their own adventures, and now Egwene and Nynaeve look like they've been separated into their own solo journeys too. :ohdear: Egwene

Think of it this way, your society has commemorated the sealing away of the devil and his greatest archdemons. All your life those archdemons have been boogeymen, with more and more unbelievable powers each year, decade, century and millennium. And then, after 3000 years, you learn two of those archdemons are free. Which powers are real? What can they actually do? You don't know anything about their abilities, except that they terrified the most powerful society in the history of the world. I think you would find that your first reaction would be to panic. Moiraine was running scared before, but I'm guessing now that her brain is engaged she might start looking for weaknesses rather than starting at imagined strengths.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Man every time he's in a scene Perrin's actor is just completely outclassed by everyone else.

Another great episode. Really wondering how they're going to wrap up the "book" with only three left though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Things I Loved About This Episode:

- Aviendha rules

- Verin Mathwin, Undercover Spy

- Lanfear's kinky dreamworld :pervert:

Things I Didn't Love About This Episode:

- No Mat :argh:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dr. Clockwork posted:

The Age of Legends still took place in a high fantasy setting, so all the technology is rooted in the One Power rather than science. Ter'angreals with specific magical functions are rare cherished artifacts by the present-day Aes Sedai, but for all we know they were household tools you could pick up at Lews-Mart down the street. I had one specific example in mind but I'll avoid it since we get real mad about book stuff here.

So while the AoL was way more advanced than society is post-Breaking, it's not robots and laser guns. Maybe robots and laser guns made of magic though? :haw:

IMO One Power IS science. At some point they discovered it as the next step beyond quantum mechanics or whatever, and they started using it. /personal pet theory

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
Good episode but man I wish they would stop with all the too dark to see anything night scenes. I'm not sure if I'm getting old, bad at tv settings (plus the prime player randomly changes me into cinema mode for whatever reason) or what but it's kind of a pain to see what's going on sometimes.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Not only did I have no issues, if you're referring to the scene where Perrin breaks Aviendha out, I even thought to myself that they made it overly bright so that it didn't even look like night time.

IMO that suggests your TV settings may be the issue.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah it all looked great to me, definitely sounds like you need to fiddle with your TV settings some more.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I do think it's a show that has enough night action to really benefit from a good OLED TV. I do see a big difference between watching on my cheaper midrange hisense with a lot of backlight bleed vs an LG Oled or even my S22 ultra's OLED screen.

If the night scenes aren't lit to you though you do probably have the backlight levels on your TV too low.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Glad we're not watching this on one of those CRTs from the 80s where the screen was mid grayish-green when turned off

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
problem exists between couch and screen, got it :catte:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

ragnarokette posted:

Good episode but man I wish they would stop with all the too dark to see anything night scenes. I'm not sure if I'm getting old, bad at tv settings (plus the prime player randomly changes me into cinema mode for whatever reason) or what but it's kind of a pain to see what's going on sometimes.

I think this show is being color corrected with HDR + fancy screens in mind. If you're on a TV that doesn't support those things then yeah there are a fair amount of weirdly dark scenes.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

I think this show is being color corrected with HDR + fancy screens in mind. If you're on a TV that doesn't support those things then yeah there are a fair amount of weirdly dark scenes.

The scene where he releases lanfear was waaaay darker on my screen than the dark bits in this episode.

Moonlit Knight
Nov 26, 2018
Did anyone else find the editing kind of shoddy in this episode? I thought there were multiple cuts that didn't match up.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Moonlit Knight posted:

Did anyone else find the editing kind of shoddy in this episode? I thought there were multiple cuts that didn't match up.

I didn’t notice anything nearly as bad as the Egwene double-take from earlier this season. What scenes had that problem?

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Moonlit Knight posted:

Yeah, Nynaeve and Elayne suddenly entering the city with no build up from where they had been previously felt a bit off. Not a major problem and it was easy to figure out "oh they found a caravan and were allowed to wander along with them" but it was still a bit shoddy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Moonlit Knight posted:

Only one I noticed was a shot of Perrin that cut to another shot of Perrin and broke the 180° Rule so it was jarring as poo poo, but otherwise no. It felt like they were trying to stich together the best parts of two different takes of the same scene and that was the best they could manage.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Only one I noticed was a shot of Perrin that cut to another shot of Perrin and broke the 180° Rule so it was jarring as poo poo, but otherwise no.

What's the 180 rule?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CainFortea posted:

What's the 180 rule?

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/180-degree_rule

Basically if you're gonna do a Shot/Reverse Shot scene, don't put the camera on the opposite side of an imaginary line between two characters that forms a 180° arc.

The scene cut from a shot of Perrin on the left side, to a shot of Perrin on the right side, and it was just incredibly visually off-putting.