Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Can we all settle down? We are all playstation players here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

njsykora posted:

There's a weird trend coming back where games are being sold on raw hour count again, you saw it with Starfield as well with Microsoft's marketing people saying they'd put in 130 hours and not finished the main story. Then it came out and the main story was like 20 hours.

Starfield is the most diluted fun I’ve experienced in a while

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I've actually been replaying Dark Souls 1 because I've not played Remastered and it's fun to compare to their later work, especially since I forgot a lot of things since playing it last in 2014. Some notes from up to the gargoyles:

- If you missed the tutorial signs at the beginning, it's almost impossible to figure out how to jump, do jump attack or kick on your own.
- No indication of encumbrance %, so you're forced to either calculate it yourself every time you upgrade endurance, or keep trying things on and off with rolling in between to know what roll you got
- The environmental art is so simple and empty (when climbing up the church bell tower, there's literally nothing inside, not even on the walls), that said, it still IMO manages to convey a lot of atmosphere even when compared to modern titles
- The level design is as enjoyable as I remember it
- The dragon bridge is very meanly designed, you might think you'll get burned if you get close (you probably won't) but if you don't try, you'll not only miss out on a vital shortcut but also don't get to activate the bonfire that's closer to the boss; getting to that bonfire is even more convoluted because you (AFAIK?) have to shoot the dragon so it gets down from its perch, leading to my next point...
- The crossbow has no aiming if you're not locked on! If want to get the dragon down, you have to move the camera in the enemy's general direction and hope for the best

Taurus Demon
- there are archers above and behind you, the first time you are quite likely going to get shot to death, and on subsequent runs you will always have to first kill those
- the boss area is narrow rampart where most of the walls that would prevent you from falling off are gone, and bunch of the boss attacks are either going to knock you prone or knock you completely off the wall and to your death
- speaking of knocking you prone, if you're ever knocked off your feet, the getting up animation is so long that you will easily get stunlocked or killed outright before you're back up

Despite writing a bunch of nonsense above I'm still enjoying the game as much as I did the first time, feels great to revisit it.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 15, 2023

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lordfrikk posted:

- the boss area is narrow rampart where most of the walls that would prevent you from falling off are gone, and bunch of the boss attacks are either going to knock you prone or knock you completely off the wall and to your death

Yeah but on the other hand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiHeCw0AT1Q

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

njsykora posted:

There's a weird trend coming back where games are being sold on raw hour count again, you saw it with Starfield as well with Microsoft's marketing people saying they'd put in 130 hours and not finished the main story. Then it came out and the main story was like 20 hours.

90s me would appreciate it. I also rented movies with a bias toward the ones that were two tapes rubber banded together.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Rinkles posted:

Starfield is the most diluted fun I’ve experienced in a while

I will play it in about 5 years with a metric fuckton of mods and it will own OP.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

CottonWolf posted:

I will play it in about 5 years with a metric fuckton of mods and it will own OP.

No doubt.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

RareAcumen posted:

So what's the difference between an orb, a sphere, and a ball?

kiss the orb, slot the sphere, kick the ball into the rat-dog

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Starting to think there’s never going to be another shot in BG3 without at least one wildly lo-res texture

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

A wizard did it

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Sorry pal you're not keeping your gotterdamerung

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Okay, sure, its a sequel to advent children, but lvls should have carryed over from remake to rebirth. Bg 1 and bg2 managed this back in 2000s and those were real deal sequels with correct numbering, not dnd new game name cashin
. Ff7 shoulda been all on 5 discs, 1 release

this just made me realize saves should have also carried over to advent children

you start watching the movie and every fight immediately ends when cloud casts knights of the round

Bugblatter posted:

Why would you carry your save over? There weren't any branching narrative choices like in something like Mass Effect and carrying levels between sequels would be dumb.

ummm excuse me but if rebirth doesn't acknowledge the amount of times I retried that stupid box hitting minigame to get tokens from children before ultimately giving up then what are we even doing here

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

lordfrikk posted:

- No indication of encumbrance %, so you're forced to either calculate it yourself every time you upgrade endurance, or keep trying things on and off with rolling in between to know what roll you got

At launch it also didn't tell you how many souls you need to level lol. Demon's Souls still doesn't to this day.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Radiation Games posted:

Gross!!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

lordfrikk posted:

- The environmental art is so simple and empty (when climbing up the church bell tower, there's literally nothing inside, not even on the walls), that said, it still IMO manages to convey a lot of atmosphere even when compared to modern titles

Honestly I think this is what I kind of loved most about Dark Souls when I played it the first time. I think I remember people saying it looked ugly and low-fi or whatever at the time and thinking they were absolutely insane. It’s minimalistic, definitely, but it’s a fantastic example of how bump and normal mapping can be really transformative for simple textures and geometry.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Beep beep, we got physical Bomb Rush Cyberfunk for realsies https://www.iam8bit.com/collections/bomb-rush-cyberfunk/products/bomb-rush-cyberfunk-playstation

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Radiation Games posted:

The UI haptics update has everyone on edge. It’s just too powerful for most.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Spiderman 2 looks good. I'm excited for it. I really had fun in both Spiderman 1 and MM just loving around the city doing side content.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

veni veni veni posted:

At launch it also didn't tell you how many souls you need to level lol. Demon's Souls still doesn't to this day.

Why waste time checking a UI element to see how many souls you need to level up when you can just use some math to figure it out?

Just plug in the level to x and y is the amount you need: y = 0.02x^3 + 3.06x^2 + 105.6x - 895

Easy :v:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

What Miyazaki gives, gravity takes

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Goddamn MK1 is so loving pretty looking

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

drat it i just gave a buddy of mine a whole lecture about not spending their money on MK1 but these posts are giving me fomo

i know it's something i would buy and play for an afternoon and then drop off completely bc i'm not competitive with fighting games or care about playing online over and over to get good enough for it to be worth it

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

ShoogaSlim posted:

drat it i just gave a buddy of mine a whole lecture about not spending their money on MK1 but these posts are giving me fomo

i know it's something i would buy and play for an afternoon and then drop off completely bc i'm not competitive with fighting games or care about playing online over and over to get good enough for it to be worth it

There's a single player board game RPG mode that's getting seasonal content every six weeks or so. No battle pass, no real world currency. I haven't checked it out yet because I'm so locked in on the story so far, but I can imagine I'll be spending a fair bit of time doing that, too.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

good to know. but i still haven't gotten past the first, like, 4 hours of baldur's gate 3 bc i have a solo game and two separate campaigns with friends who can't commit to playing and i'm just doing the intro over and over. no time for anything else really.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

my fighting game engagement peaked in middle school when I learned two of sub zero's movies and one of his fatalities

or maybe in high school when I muddled through most of the story content of whichever dead or alive was out at the time, I wanna say it was the one where the blonde lady fights in an opera house at the end

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My fighting game opinion is that Kanji from Persona 4 Arena Ultimax is maybe the most fun character in any game I've ever played

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I also like Ram and Bridget from Strive, tho

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I feel like the early dead or alives were good for being real games that can be enjoyed by regular gamers and anime perverts alike, but when they started doing games with like $300 DLC of sexy anime costumes and fully embraced the perverts and it felt gross just having it installed

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ironically the most recent (?) DoA game ran into trouble because it wanted to be taken more seriously as a fighting game, which meant the sexy anime costumes had to be hard to get because Evo frowns on that stuff being in matches (which is probably the same reason Cammy got redesigned in SF6). The problem was that the hardcore DoA fans these days are all, no disrespect, complete perverts, so that didn't go down well.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
DoA2 owned so much

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Think I am going to throw the towel in on AC6. I am just not having fun at all and why bother when that isn't happening. Got to the Act 1 boss and I can get him down to about 30% and I get what I need to do but everything up to this point has just felt beyond me. Nothing clicks. It's cool seeing people smash this game over their knees but its too much for me.

Time to wait for the Elden Ring DLC.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Every time DOA DLC is featured in some sale, I am in awe of just how much of it there is.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Vintersorg posted:

Think I am going to throw the towel in on AC6. I am just not having fun at all and why bother when that isn't happening. Got to the Act 1 boss and I can get him down to about 30% and I get what I need to do but everything up to this point has just felt beyond me. Nothing clicks. It's cool seeing people smash this game over their knees but its too much for me.

Time to wait for the Elden Ring DLC.

Have you done a few of the arena challenges? They lock some very basic stuff behind that section, but luckily it’s very easy to unlock the first 8 or so tokens for the upgrades.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I took a break from my break and smashed out NG++ for AC6 today and since I’m definitely not gonna go for all S rank everything’s I won’t be grinding out the cash for all parts either, so that’s me finished.

That final-final boss looked like it was going to be way harder and then it turns out the two spiders just go away if you burn him down to the next phase fast enough so I clowned him in 3 attempts.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Meanwhile, I'm like 36 hours into Starfield and this game feels targeted and malicious towards me specifically. It is predatory towards my ADHD. There's just so much stuff, so much clutter, so many things to do that it doesn't matter to my dopamine-hungry prefrontal cortex that none of it is actually very interesting. There's just always going to be more of this poo poo, no matter what I do, and it's all juuuuuuuust varied enough that I don't burn out from repetition, while still samey enough to be a nightmare to my hyperfixation.

I think I need to uninstall this game.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Arist posted:

Meanwhile, I'm like 36 hours into Starfield and this game feels targeted and malicious towards me specifically. It is predatory towards my ADHD. There's just so much stuff, so much clutter, so many things to do that it doesn't matter to my dopamine-hungry prefrontal cortex that none of it is actually very interesting. There's just always going to be more of this poo poo, no matter what I do, and it's all juuuuuuuust varied enough that I don't burn out from repetition, while still samey enough to be a nightmare to my hyperfixation.

I think I need to uninstall this game.

I'm kinda sorry I picked it up, honestly. I've been meaning to go back to AC6, especially since the Balteus nerf (I got to Radahn for the first time the day after his nerf, and also killed Malenia literally hours before they nerfed my strategy lol) but all week I've been kinda tired after work, and I don't even have to get up from my PC to start up Starfield, and it's not demanding and there's a lot of nice downtime where I don't have to concentrate and it's fine, it's not super fun or anything, but it's fun enough that it's enough to keep me from doing anything else.

This is also why I keep resisting getting the Keurig that my entire family wants me to get, because the coffee isn't quite as good as my aeropress but it's just so easy that I know I would settle for the mediocre cup of coffee if I had one.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Arist posted:

Ironically the most recent (?) DoA game ran into trouble because it wanted to be taken more seriously as a fighting game, which meant the sexy anime costumes had to be hard to get because Evo frowns on that stuff being in matches (which is probably the same reason Cammy got redesigned in SF6). The problem was that the hardcore DoA fans these days are all, no disrespect, complete perverts, so that didn't go down well.

Their loss DOA6 was awesome. They did an Atelier costume pack and seeing a series as (usually) wholesome as Atelier combined with DOA6 was incredibly funny.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It really might be one of the best looking games this gen so far. The story scenes especially, while obviously videos of in-engine stuff, have out of this world lighting and texture work. Even the facial capture is fantastic.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

I preordered last night, thinking it was the last day to do so. This scheme of forcing players into a $100+ bundle just to play the game on the first weekend is rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fridge corn posted:

DoA2 owned so much

Yeah, it was awesome. The integration of player memory card stat/button profiles and custom costumes was peak FG for me. It never was that smooth again in the genre after we moved to HD storage where your profiles were trapped on the console.

I loved being able to take my copy of the game and memory card (in the little custom card holder in the case) to a friend's house and that's all I'd really need, maybe an extra controller. The moment passwords and syncing and etc started getting involved was kind of the death of the whole thing. I'd make a badass custom character and just have the hardest time actually using them at someone else's place.

The last few fighting games I've owned that I was able to get in to were Soul Cal IV, MK9, VF5, and Soul Cal VI. But I was never again able to capture that magic of the late 90's and early 00's where I was playing every FG release.