Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Play posted:

Far Cry 6 is 15 bucks on steam. Not the best game ever, but I had tons of fun with it and I think maybe it was a bit unfairly maligned. A good game for what it is and definitely worth the price if you like open world shooters.

I also picked up Far Cry Blood Dragon for less than 4 bucks. Because why not, I've heard good things

e: also why does Far Cry have a trademark next to it? Don't think I've ever seen a game on steam have a trademark icon even though they are surely trademarked in the most part

For some reason it didn't look as weird with the ancient graphics, but her waist is like four inches wide lol. Looks fun though

Blood Dragon is SO GOOD

e: so is Primal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Upsidads posted:

So it's kinda ogre battle?!

It gives me strong Ogre Battle 64 vibes and I am all over that poo poo

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Leal posted:

It gives me strong Ogre Battle 64 vibes and I am all over that poo poo

Literally playing it all month

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

what is the safe level of unicorns

The only way to find out is to keep adding unicorns until it overloads, then take one out.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Unico

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Play posted:

e: also why does Far Cry have a trademark next to it? Don't think I've ever seen a game on steam have a trademark icon even though they are surely trademarked in the most part

tell me you haven't played Dishonored®: Death of the Outsider™ without telling me you haven't played Dishonored®: Death of the Outsider™

e: lol, Middle-earth™: Shadow of War™

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
ARMORED CORE TRADEMARK VI FIRES OF RUBICON TRADEMARK

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I wish steam would let me change display names so I could fix that poo poo

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

not one game uses the © symbol, lame

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://twitter.com/monsterprom/status/1702442081170383355

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Commander Keene posted:

I feel like Atlus themselves only put games on PC because Sega owns them, otherwise we probably wouldn't have gotten anything Atlus on Steam.

Oh this was absolutely the case. I don’t know how Catherine Classic panned out, but Atlus out out Persona 4 The Golden and it sold 500,000 copies in a month.

https://twitter.com/Atlus_West/status/1281785285764775941

Atlus has been pretty consistent about Steam ports ever since.

Maybe Vanillaware is one of those situations where it’s run by an ancient Japanese guy who refuses to even consider PC and everyone else there is just waiting for him to die. It’s partially the reason why the Judgement games took forever to get Steam ports.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Detective No. 27 posted:

Maybe Vanillaware is one of those situations where it’s run by an ancient Japanese guy who refuses to even consider PC and everyone else there is just waiting for him to die. It’s partially the reason why the Judgement games took forever to get Steam ports.

That one was really funny because it was specifically the talent agency representing the actor who played (voice and appearance) the lead character, Takuya Kimura, who absolutely refused to allow the game to be released on PC, for fear of modders doing something untoward with his precious digital avatar.

After the sequel came out, Sega started talking loudly about it being the end of the series, because of that refusal to allow PC ports, and the agency finally agreed to allow them. That's why they both came out on steam around the same time.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ah, the Hiroshi Yamauchi internal politics clause.

That said, it's more likely in Vanillaware's case is that it's still a very small company, and has been very gun-shy about ports in general (Very few games in Vanillaware's history have appeared multi-platform, and IIRC it wasn't until the '20s that they've released the same game (or at least, the same version of the same game) on multiple consoles that aren't a Playstation home-and-portable duo with 13 Sentinels.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Just finished up my 20-hour romp with Fuga Melodies of Steel just in time for its gamepass expiration, and while that means people interested won't be able to play it on there, it's still a very strong recommendation from me and well worth a purchase!

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256841478/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1626249361

In general, if you're interested in games like Fire Emblem/Persona/Darkest Dungeon/Slay the Spire/Valkyria Chronicles, aka that synergistic fusion of crew social relationship dynamics and challenging strategic combat, I'd very well consider looking into this.

PROS

*Combat system was very satisfying in that it was very complex and strategic, yet still being simple and not overwhelming: delaying the enemies turns by exploiting weaknesses, wearing down enemy armor to do more damage, defending against powerful enemy attacks, status afflictions and defense being actually important, and changing formations as the battle goes on to allow different weapons and figure out the best pair synergies, there's just so much to consider that it really keeps things engaging. You can even pull off some tricks like using the reformation to not just change your team setup, but rearrange turn order (even push kids who just had their turn to have another immediate turn)! I also liked how the game allows you to analyze enemies immediately to get hints for their attack patterns: felt very fair and less trial-and-error. Reminds me of good turn-based combat like Darkest Dungeon, Slay the Spire, Persona and so on where you really gotta do more than just whack your enemies with damage, but at the same time it's very snappy and doesn't drag.

*Very cool difficulty mechanics: not only do you have route selection on your way to the boss where dangerous routes give more loot at the risk of having to deal with difficult encounters and less healing, but bosses can be so difficult as to threaten you to use the Soul Cannon where you sacrifice a child to blow the boss away and save your run. All of this is wrapped together with saving only being able to be done at checkpoints, so as to really make you consider your choices or lose progress.

*Loved the social intermission sequences on the tank where you can build up relationships and synergy with the crew and do other activities: the skits were very cute and having these powerful social links work itself into combat with power-ups reminded me a lot of Fire Emblem, Valkyria Chronicles and also Persona and the Tales of series.

CONS

*Despite being very intrigued by the difficulty and the Soul Cannon, I was able to get through the game without ever really being pressured and got the best ending on the first try. Well, that's not quite accurate as I was initially very pressured on the first few chapters actually, but due to me taking all of the dangerous routes to get maximum rewards, playing very strategically, and getting good combat grades and eating food that both boost EXP, it felt like I eventually got ahead of the curve and then was able to play without needing the Soul Cannon at all: still very fun, but yeah, kinda wish they were a bit more demanding on the player consistently through the game instead of petering out.

*While in general the pace was kept very well, there were a few 'filler' feeling chapters that didn't have significant events happen, with end bosses being just normal elite units instead of a unique named villain. I think this might also be a result of the difficulty mechanics: kinda felt like these chapters might've been essential to allow players who were either playing it too safe or who have sacrificed units to be able to catch-up and not have their run softlocked, but since I was already ahead of the curve, it just let me flex even further.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 15, 2023

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Begemot posted:

That one was really funny because it was specifically the talent agency representing the actor who played (voice and appearance) the lead character, Takuya Kimura, who absolutely refused to allow the game to be released on PC, for fear of modders doing something untoward with his precious digital avatar.

After the sequel came out, Sega started talking loudly about it being the end of the series, because of that refusal to allow PC ports, and the agency finally agreed to allow them. That's why they both came out on steam around the same time.

You're underselling this slightly. It's because the talent agency was run by a man so afraid of tech the talent and employees could not maintain social media while he was alive, and he died shortly around when Lost Judgement dropped. The next amount of time was trying to get his successor to see reason.

This dude was also such a poo poo they're renaming the entire agency soon because it's been much more openly discussed since his death how much he was a longtime sex abuser of the talent! The journalist asking about this phrased it something amazing, lemme find it...

Edit: the story, the quote seems to have been removed from this copy if it was real. Dang.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 15, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ohh that guy. Yeah, I think it was BBC that “broke” the story with a documentary. Local press had been politely ignoring the rumors and allegations for decades.

I had no idea the talent agency also had VA’s. Apparently a lot of male pop idols were molested and groomed when they were young and trying to break into the industry :smith:

E: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/30/niece-of-j-pop-mogul-johnny-kitagawa-should-resign-over-abuse-allegations-panel-says

That article links to another one with the same allegations, published 23 years ago

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 15, 2023

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Japanese Lou Pearlman?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Fruits of the sea posted:

Apparently a lot of male pop idols were molested and groomed when they were young and trying to break into the industry :smith:
not just the male ones

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ghostlight posted:

not just the male ones

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
https://www.humblebundle.com/software/everything-you-need-to-know-about-godot-4-encore-software

What timing.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

timing nothing, the bundle is a rerun from earlier this year

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/complete-godot-game-development-software

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1702619898449428725

https://twitter.com/tha_rami/status/1702331275233902798

This is going well.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's incredible timing as well. Godot has been getting more complete lately and it seems to be at the stage where it can support more use cases and greater adoption.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I mean, Unity has hosed up bigly but death threats are never good. Especially from an internal employee???

And who the hell is the second guy?

Definitely grabbing that Humble Bundle though - I've got a week off from work coming up soon, I know what I'll be doing :toot:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Made some lovely roguelike shooter game called The Nuclear Throne or something.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rami is cool as hell

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah Rami is cool, he had a GDC talk about how lovely big studios were about non-Western languages despite being totally cool with setting Modern Shooter #10 in the Middle East some years ago.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I mean, Unity has hosed up bigly but death threats are never good. Especially from an internal employee???

Definitely grabbing that Humble Bundle though - I've got a week off from work coming up soon, I know what I'll be doing :toot:

It coming from an employee means it is likely one of those 'trying to get pity' threats. It happens somewhat often as an excuse to try to blunt narratives

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hey folks Wizardry remake just dropped

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2518960/Wizardry_Proving_Grounds_of_the_Mad_Overlord/

by Digital Eclipse (SNK 40th Anniversary Collection, The Making of Karateka, TMNT Cowabunga Collection). starting in Early Access ($29.99) as they flesh out the revamped visuals and fix bugs

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Every time I see anything Wizardry related all I can do is lament the fact that literally nobody has used Wizardry 8's best feature, the custom character voices, in any game ever since except maybe Shadow of Mordor/War.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Sab669 posted:

Rami is awesome and was half of Vlambeer

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ImpAtom posted:

It coming from an employee means it is likely one of those 'trying to get pity' threats. It happens somewhat often as an excuse to try to blunt narratives

yes every death threat to a company you don't like is really just a false flag trick by one of those wily CEOs :rolleye:

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Aliens Dark Descent is on sale for 30 and looks amazing. I heard it was buggy at launch. Has this improved? Also thoughts?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I assumed it was a legit death threat, by someone that was a bit too pissed that his earlier protests weren't heeded, and felt his future career was at risk

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

yes every death threat to a company you don't like is really just a false flag trick by one of those wily CEOs :rolleye:

It literally came from an employee of the company. This has happened before.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Regardless it is lovely that this forum and elsewhere can't help but do the "well the company didn't act perfectly but this is unreasonable" thing when this is probably one of the most universally agreed to be bad decisions ever.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

never threaten to kill people

always kill them without warning

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Play posted:

Far Cry 6 is 15 bucks on steam. Not the best game ever, but I had tons of fun with it and I think maybe it was a bit unfairly maligned. A good game for what it is and definitely worth the price if you like open world shooters.

I also picked up Far Cry Blood Dragon for less than 4 bucks. Because why not, I've heard good things

For some reason it didn't look as weird with the ancient graphics, but her waist is like four inches wide lol. Looks fun though

Ive enjoyed every Far Cry Game, including Primal and 6. Are they perfect? No. But it has become sort of a comfort food, fall-back-to game series that I know Ill have a good time with. I wouldnt worry about the DLCs for 6. They are "rogue-like" areas starring the villans from 3,4,5 with multiple difficulties and scores. Just get the main game. It lasted me over 55 hours and i didnt do a lot of the side stuff.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I don't remember why got onto my wishlist, but it sounds and looks really cool: https://store.steampowered.com/app/505230/Pathologic_2/

quote:

Pathologic 2 is a groundbreaking open-world horror RPG. Resist the plague. Make medicine. Heal people. Perform an autopsy. Trade to get what you need. Fight and kill if necessary. Survive. Struggle with an outbreak in a secluded rural town that is rapidly turning into hell.

Reviews well too. $11 CAD on sale.

quote:

Features:

• 12 days in an odd town ravaged by a deadly disease.
  • Time is of the essence: if you don’t manage it carefully, it’ll simply run out. You’ll have to choose how to spend the priceless minutes you have.
  • Survival thriller. You’ll have to manage your bodily functions, offsetting hunger, thirst, exhaustion, and so on. It doesn’t boil down to scavenging resources. Surviving on your own is hard; you’ll have to win over allies.
  • An uphill battle. Managing your bodily parameters may seem bearable at first, and as time goes by, it becomes harder and harder. Your own body is only waiting for an opportunity to give up and betray you. Things are changing from bad to worse and the odds are stacked against you.
  • A duel with an enemy you can’t kill. Your main foe is the plague itself, an incorporeal and malevolent entity that you have to defeat… without having the means to. It’s more powerful and more treacherous than you can imagine.
  • Loot, murder, mug, steal, barter, beg… or don’t. You need resources to survive, and it’s up to you how to obtain them.
  • The fights are short, ungraceful, and vicious. They’re not always lethal though. Many people—yourself included—would prefer to exchange their wallet for their life.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mycot posted:

Regardless it is lovely that this forum and elsewhere can't help but do the "well the company didn't act perfectly but this is unreasonable" thing when this is probably one of the most universally agreed to be bad decisions ever.

Death threats over video games are always unreasonable.