Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

zoux posted:

Who do the Jays play next? The Rangers took the rear end beating the Astros put on them and delivered it to Toronto, I wanna see if we can keep paying it forward

Boston

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
So there's a very real chance the chain of rear end beating continues.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

He's like a 105 OPS+ lefty hitter. He would be a MASSIVE upgrade for them over 7/9 of their lineup.

Just because they have lineup holes doesn't change that he's a JAG and not worth trading a capable starter for. Also not ignoring the fact that he's a shitbag

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

Just because they have lineup holes doesn't change that he's a JAG and not worth trading a capable starter for. Also not ignoring the fact that he's a shitbag

I'm not saying I would've done the trade but he's a warm body that they would control for another year. He's kind JAG'ish but he's also not embarrassing like some of the non players the Yankees have been giving AB's to the last few years.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Verdugo is probably a bit of a shitbag but by fwar or bwar he's a top 2-4 player on either team.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Nodoze posted:

Justin Turner might be getting old, but at least he can stand at different positions and has power.

Verdugo doesn't do any particular thing especially well, he just does them.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Um, put it in the books? :geno:

I would have thought the other more humanoid ones that are also not specific animals, like Orbit and Phanatic for example, would have been ranked higher, but then I remembered how furry the internet is.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Anyone got the Mariners Chaos Sicko jpg?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It's time to play: Name! That! Twin!

AL Ranks since the All-Star break:

16th in BA: .298
13th in OPS: .926
13th in wOBA: .391
12th in wRC+: 152
15th in fWAR: 2.0

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I don't need to look this up, it's Edouard Julien.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Wezlar posted:

Verdugo is probably a bit of a shitbag but by fwar or bwar he's a top 2-4 player on either team.

That says more about the rosters than Verdugo

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pungry posted:

I don't need to look this up, it's Edouard Julien.

it's not! Julien's second half OPS is actually almost 100 points lower (.830)

Doctor Skeleton
Nov 15, 2003

rickiep00h posted:

Anyone got the Mariners Chaos Sicko jpg?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Much obliged

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

IcePhoenix posted:

It's time to play: Name! That! Twin!

AL Ranks since the All-Star break:

16th in BA: .298
13th in OPS: .926
13th in wOBA: .391
12th in wRC+: 152
15th in fWAR: 2.0

Is it Royce?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Can't tell if it's real, but who is Firebird

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Oh Captain, my Captain!

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/1702718290098049116

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bregor posted:

Is it Royce?

He hasn't played enough to qualify for leaderboards, though his splits are pretty similar to this player.

Here is a hint: Twins fans hate him because of how badly he's underachieved his contract the last few years while still getting consistent playing time but now many of them are secretly hoping we pick up his team option for next year

e: a second hint because I thought of it and wish I had made it the initial one: Trevor Bauer probably hates/fears this player

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 15, 2023

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Wasn’t Verdugo implicated in a sexual assault thing in the minors? The yanks finally rid themselves of the known abusers on the roster. I don’t care if Verdugo had Bonds’ numbers, it’s been nice not to cringe once every five games or save situation.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Bill Shaikin enjoys making GBS threads on the Padres

Well Played Mauer posted:

Wasn’t Verdugo implicated in a sexual assault thing in the minors? The yanks finally rid themselves of the known abusers on the roster. I don’t care if Verdugo had Bonds’ numbers, it’s been nice not to cringe once every five games or save situation.

Yes, there was some incident in 2015 where several Dodgers minor leaguers were party to an assault. They were partying with three women (one was underage) and two of them started beating up the third while the players watched/encouraged or something. Verdugo was one of those spectators.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 15, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lmao this is a nuke to the Padres clubhouse

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Honestly expected the article to take a massive poo poo on Machado, but it's tone more seems to be that while he's not the capital "P" problem in the clubhouse, he seems totally uninterested in being part of the solution, which is unfortunate when he's uniquely positioned to be the best person for that job.

What I'm saying is it sounds like the Padres desperately need some veteran clubhouse leadership. Clearly it's time to bring back the one and only Eric Hosmer.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That article really tries to insist it isn't solely a critic of Machado but it's entirely about Machado and I can't even really tell what it's trying to get across beyond a vague assertion that he isn't doing ~something~ right. Like that article could just have easily been written the other way praising Machados leadership if their record was better and we still wouldn't really know what's going on in the Padre's clubhouse culture. It's not surprising a team with a disappointing season doesn't have a great culture but to lay it on Machado seems a bit grasping.

I actually like the ending quote by Machado which kinda get's to that point.

quote:

“And these conversations start happening. ‘Oh, well, there’s no chemistry, there’s no leadership or there’s no this or there’s no that. The clubhouse is getting lost. The manager has lost the clubhouse, the front office this.’ There’s always gonna be stuff. And ultimately it comes down to one thing: We didn’t perform. I didn’t perform what I’m capable of performing. We didn’t perform. Because that’s just what it is. And you’ve got to take full responsibility (for) that. At the end of the day, it’s whatever you do in between the lines when you put on that jersey, and you go out there and you leave it on the field. So that’s the story. I don’t think there’s anything else that can be talked about.”

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sydin posted:

Honestly expected the article to take a massive poo poo on Machado, but it's tone more seems to be that while he's not the capital "P" problem in the clubhouse, he seems totally uninterested in being part of the solution, which is unfortunate when he's uniquely positioned to be the best person for that job.

What I'm saying is it sounds like the Padres desperately need some veteran clubhouse leadership. Clearly it's time to bring back the one and only Eric Hosmer.

Hosmer was his mentor.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

That article really tries to insist it isn't solely a critic of Machado but it's entirely about Machado and I can't even really tell what it's trying to get across beyond a vague assertion that he isn't doing ~something~ right. Like that article could just have easily been written the other way praising Machados leadership if their record was better and we still wouldn't really know what's going on in the Padre's clubhouse culture. It's not surprising a team with a disappointing season doesn't have a great culture but to lay it on Machado seems a bit grasping.

I actually like the ending quote by Machado which kinda get's to that point.

Machado isn't willing to yell at Tatis for swinging 3-0 in a blowout, gotta get the clubhouse right by bringing in somebody they know will.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Machado doesn’t seem particularly interested in being a captain-type leader but I don’t really hold that against him or anyone else. Probably better to absolve yourself of that role rather than force yourself into it because that type of leadership doesn’t work anyway. How many managers have you had that were only managers because they were the most senior whatever on the team?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sydin posted:

Machado isn't willing to yell at Tatis for swinging 3-0 in a blowout, gotta get the clubhouse right by bringing in somebody they know will.

Tony Fuckin LaRussa baby

Sounds like they lack cohesive chemistry which is to be expected when you just sign a bunch of guys by sorting OPS+ on bbref.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I dunno, the opening example of none of the Padres stars taking fielding practice while all of the Dodgers equivalents did sure paints a picture about work ethic and unified commitment.

I have ready countless stories and quotes from players over the years who arrive on the Dodgers and are surprised/impressed by Kershaw's work ethic. They talk about how his dedication sets a tone for the whole team and inspires everyone else on the roster to work as hard. Moreso back during his prime, but players would get to LA and see the guy with the most talent on the roster is [i]also[/] the first guy there every day and the most disciplined about his routine, and they'd think "drat if he's got all that talent and still works that hard, I had better pull my weight too."

If Machado and the other top talents on the Padres are generally NOT seen by the rest of their team to be putting in maximum effort/preparation, then that sets a completely different tone.

Kershaw has never been a real vocal leader in the Dodgers clubhouse (that role was filled by Justin Turner :rip:) but he set an example that still provided leadership in this way. If Machado doesn't want to be the outspoken leader, he can still lead by example through work ethic.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

I dunno, the opening example of none of the Padres stars taking fielding practice while all of the Dodgers equivalents did sure paints a picture about work ethic and unified commitment.

I have ready countless stories and quotes from players over the years who arrive on the Dodgers and are surprised/impressed by Kershaw's work ethic. They talk about how his dedication sets a tone for the whole team and inspires everyone else on the roster to work as hard. Moreso back during his prime, but players would get to LA and see the guy with the most talent on the roster is [i]also[/] the first guy there every day and the most disciplined about his routine, and they'd think "drat if he's got all that talent and still works that hard, I had better pull my weight too."

If Machado and the other top talents on the Padres are generally NOT seen by the rest of their team to be putting in maximum effort/preparation, then that sets a completely different tone.

Probably not a coincidence that Kershaw, Betts and Freeman are all dorks.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yes they are all huge dorks. They work hard and spend time with their family, they don't party much. To the point about preparation, Mookie Betts has apparently taken infield practice every day for his whole career, which is why he was able to jump in at 2B and SS this year and look natural despite not appearing at either position since 2014. The Padres equivalent would be Tatis taking infield practice every day even if he never plays an inning there for the next decade.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My favorite Kershaw thing is that he gets visibly upset if he misses his spots, even if the result is good. Like a couple times a start you'll see him get a swing and a miss but it was on a pitch in he was trying to throw away, and he just looks absolutely disgusted with himself. Cannot fault his dedication to the craft for sure. Just needs to stop listening to Tucker Carlson.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

speaking of Padres, I just looked up Khalil Greene, and he was... never very good? Wasn't he supposed to be "a thing"? One season of above-replacement hitting, not quite a butcher but league-average with the glove... am I thinking of some other Padre?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

No one has higher standards for Kershaw than the man himself, which is why it's so heartbreaking when he comes up short. And also why after 2020 every guy on that team was like "I'm just so happy for Kershaw"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kershaw was a 2 sport letterman at Highland Park, no way he's a dork.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

this guy is an incredible dork

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

speaking of Padres, I just looked up Khalil Greene, and he was... never very good? Wasn't he supposed to be "a thing"? One season of above-replacement hitting, not quite a butcher but league-average with the glove... am I thinking of some other Padre?

He made a lot of diving catches so people thought he was a good defender.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Look we all wore denim button downs in the 90s

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

back to the UT piece, this bit stands out:

quote:

The Padres had what some estimated were eight or nine team meetings, some solely among players and others that involved members of the uniformed staff and/or front office.

In all of them, it felt like agreement had been reached and plans had been laid out to get the team on a path of cohesion.

According to multiple sources, Machado was among the primary speakers in virtually all of them. And then over the ensuing days, he was among those who did not follow through on action plans.

Actions speak louder than words. The author goes out of his way to say Machado is Not The Problem but the subtext is that yeah actually he is a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Machado's also the longest tenured and highest paid player. It makes sense for him to wear it.

There's also rumors that Ryan Flaherty's going to be the next Padres manager and he goes back to Baltimore with Machado.