Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Kefit posted:

At first I thought that floorplan looks remarkably similar to the townhouse I bought for half a million last year in the Seattle area. But on a second look I realize that my townhouse is a good 1.5x the square footage of these Aussie units. God those are some small bedrooms.

How often do renters actually move outside of forced moves (e.g. eviction, lease not renewed) or life changes that necessitate relocation? I know I enjoy stability more than many people (I lived in the same rental for eight years), but moving and apartment hunting are awful, stressful experiences. I can't imagine actually going through with that process to escape a bad neighbor or whatever unless I was really truly desperate.

My roommate moved out to move in with his girlfriend, and then they pretty much immediately moved out of their because the landlord was being a creep. Two places ago I moved out because my rent got jacked up too high. Last place I moved out because I moved in with a friend who needed a place to stay and needed a roommate to afford it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Motronic posted:

And one would be a fool to do so, because that's leaving money on the table

That does not follow - you have no way of determining the rental price that the market could support, $3000 may be as much as the unit is able to fetch.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Breetai posted:

Meanwhile, more and more blocks of land that used to house a single dwelling have been subdivided in order to accommodate disgusting little shitbox townhouses such as one that I found nearby in my neighbourhood, where the actual footprint of each two-story townhouse was 3 m by 10 m, but the price was from half a million Australian dollars each.

Note that this is in Adelaide, one of the more affordable cities in Australia. For Sydney, triple or quadruple the prices I've just mentioned.

In American units, am I right in understanding that a ~640 sq foot townhome costs $320k in an "affordable" city? And $1M+ in the more expensive cities?

Thats easily comparable to the most expensive US cities on a per sq ft basis, though finding a place that small in new construction would be hard. The newish townhomes near where I live in the Bay area start at 1800 sq feet (and were something like $1.7M a couple years ago when they were new, lol).

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

drk posted:

In American units, am I right in understanding that a ~640 sq foot townhome costs $320k in an "affordable" city? And $1M+ in the more expensive cities?

Thats easily comparable to the most expensive US cities on a per sq ft basis, though finding a place that small in new construction would be hard. The newish townhomes near where I live in the Bay area start at 1800 sq feet (and were something like $1.7M a couple years ago when they were new, lol).

poo poo's hosed. The market has been deliberately overinflated by a succession of governments with awful policies that have turned houses from a place to live into a taxpayer subsidised investment vehicle which is great for cashed up developers and the rich but poo poo for everyone else.With regards to actual owner occupiers, now that interest rates aren't lower than 2% anymore the bottom 20% of earners with a mortgage are paying 60% of their take-home pay on average towards servicing those mortgages. My partner and I are extremely lucky in that we paid off the house just before interest rates tripled and we're secure in our housing, because a bunch of people are eating poo poo at the moment.

The housing market is in a situation where prices need to massively correct in order for owning one's own home to be a realistic prospect, but the correction required would need to be of such a magnitude that a massive amount of people would be underwater on their home loan.

Also a bunch of construction companies are folding up completely at the moment, so if you bought off the plan and put down a $250,000 deposit then whoopsie doodles there goes your entire life savings. No recourse.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

QuarkJets posted:

That does not follow - you have no way of determining the rental price that the market could support, $3000 may be as much as the unit is able to fetch.

If you think about it price setting is just a process where you say a random number

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

QuarkJets posted:

If the location is desirable there really isn't an upper limit, at least not in a way that matters if you're not rich. Generally what happens is they invest a few bucks in updating the finishing when the current tenants leave and new ones come in.

Good example: our last apartment was near public transport in a city where that's desirable. Pretty basic apartment building that was probably built in the 60s or 70s based on the construction. 700 sqft, pretty OK apartment, gally kitchen right off a main living room. At $1100/mo it was a pretty OK place for me and my wife. Appliances were basic apartment grade, but new, and the carpet and countertops were pretty much landlord grade basic poo poo. Laminate countertop and that really basic thin carpet that you know they rip out and replace between tenants. Basic bathroom.

We moved out when the rent went up to just shy of $1800/mo. We were back in town and visiting the old neighborhood a few weeks ago and decided to look up the old apartment complex on some rental sites. We knew they were updating the apartments as people moved out and converting them to "deluxe" apartments which ran about 25% more. So the deluxe version of our place when we first moved in was ~1400/mo. The upgrades were visible but not crazy. Nicer carpet, some really basic stone or engineered faux-stone countertops, slightly fancier appliances that were still rental grade but like the tier above the absolute basic unit you get at home depot. Glass door instead of curtain in the shower, mildly updated bathroom. Stupid (and cheap) bowl sink instead of a normal inset one. Basically the kind of HGTV-grade flipper poo poo you find in houses that were quickly updated for as little as possible to make a quick buck.

They didn't list anything for less than $3k/mo and don't make the distinction between normal and deluxe anymore. I assume they finished upgrading everything. Now, part of that had to be the results of covid. It's really beautifully located if you're a person who nominally works in the city, can WFH most of the week, but still want to be close enough to transit to get in easily when you need to. But those people can pay more for apartments, so do the minimal upgrade to make them feel like they're getting what they're paying for and bank a nearly doubling in your rental income.

edit: this wasn't some mom and pop rental place either, the company that manages it owns a gently caress ton of apartment buildings across the entire metro area. gently caress, probably nationally, for all I know they're themselves owned by a bigger company. It's one of those deals where your apartment complex will be named Townhouses at Hooverville or whatever and there will be a note that it's managed by Regional Company Who Owns Everything LLC.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

drk posted:

640 sqft townhouses are very rare in "affordable" areas, most are considerably larger. Outside of a few cities most places in the US are much larger than EU or AUS counterparts.

Something like this is very common in my city, and this is in a decent, desirable area of Saint Paul:
https://www.trulia.com/p/mn/saint-paul/250-saint-albans-st-n-saint-paul-mn-55104--2101721054

But in San Fran or NY? Yeah that place would be $1M+

If you go out into the sticks you might even find a place that size for $150k or less.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 15, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lockback posted:

640 sqft townhouses are very rare in "affordable" areas, most are considerably larger. Outside of a few cities most places in the US are much larger than EU or AUS counterparts.

Something like this is very common in my city, and this is in a decent, desirable area of Saint Paul:
https://www.trulia.com/p/mn/saint-paul/250-saint-albans-st-n-saint-paul-mn-55104--2101721054

But in San Fran or NY? Yeah that place would be $1M+

If you go out into the sticks you might even find a place that size for $150k or less.

You're not going to find a new build like that out in the sticks. If nothing else the economics of building out something like that to sell a bunch of sub-$150k town homes just doesn't work out. If they're going to build a larger building like that out in rual nowhere's-ville it's going to be an apartment, and if they're building individual houses it's probably going to be SFH's or maybe larger condos.

That kind of price per square foot insanity really only happens in places where space is at a premium and you're paying a premium price just to be in the desirable city.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Lockback posted:

Made me curious, found a 1,500 sq ft house with garage in an okay area of Peoria for $90k. I think that's more than what my friend paid for his place in a nicer part ten years ago. (edit, I'm wrong, about what he paid, actually surprised he spent that much)

Seeing dozens of places for $60-75k, but not in nice places.

There's a 2,400 sq ft place off the highway for $15k!

Uthor fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 15, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i will give someone mid five figgies to NOT live in peoria

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

But how much would you pay to be a cop in Decatur?

https://www.levernews.com/american-oligarchy/amp/

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

the rural home hate is a little overdone on internet forums full of city dwelling tech nerds. if you have good internet and access to good essentials (safety, highway, schools, food, etc) then there can be some real good situations for efficient cost of living non-megacity life, including affordable homes.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

pmchem posted:

the rural home hate is a little overdone on internet forums full of city dwelling tech nerds. if you have good internet and access to good essentials (safety, highway, schools, food, etc) then there can be some real good situations for efficient cost of living non-megacity life, including affordable homes.

Absolutely agree

This doesn't apply to Peoria though.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

pmchem posted:

Agreed, but there are a lot of things that can prevent people from picking up and moving to some place more affordable, usually job stuff.

That said, there is rural and then there is rural. I've lived the latter at various points in my life and it's very much something people need to go into eyes open.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Grimey Drawer

pmchem posted:

I grew up in a rural area, lived there for 20 years. I'm not going to begrudge anyone who is into that sort of thing, but the amount of money that would be worth having to go back is well into the seven figures, and even then only if it was a temporary situation. It is loving miserable.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

pmchem posted:

Lots of luck finding a meaningful job in Peoria or any of the rest of the 70% of the geographical US that is either just like Peoria or just wilderness.

e: ^^^^^ sooooo, how did that conversation with a lawyer that you definitely had yesterday go?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Breetai posted:

poo poo's hosed. The market has been deliberately overinflated by a succession of governments with awful policies that have turned houses from a place to live into a taxpayer subsidised investment vehicle which is great for cashed up developers and the rich but poo poo for everyone else.With regards to actual owner occupiers, now that interest rates aren't lower than 2% anymore the bottom 20% of earners with a mortgage are paying 60% of their take-home pay on average towards servicing those mortgages. My partner and I are extremely lucky in that we paid off the house just before interest rates tripled and we're secure in our housing, because a bunch of people are eating poo poo at the moment.
I have also read that in the UK there's no such thing as a fixed-rate mortgage, only variable-rate. Is that true? Because ouch.

pmchem posted:

I live in a rural area (closest city is 7000 people.) I chose to move knowing this, and I don't regret it. One of the things we explicitly accepted when we moved in was that we'd probably die if we had heart attacks or strokes. The only hospital in the area is Level IV trauma, meaning "we can stabilize your vitals until we get you to an actual hospital"; we bought helicopter insurance so that if we're seriously ill that journey would be faster. Neither of the two veterinarians is accepting new patients. There are only two dental practices in town, and the wait to see a dental hygienist is at least six months. Everybody makes a trip 'over the hill' to the closest big city, a mighty 16,000. That's the closest Home Depot and Costco; there's no Target or anything similar.

It's a lot more complicated than "good Internet and you're fine". You commit to doing a lot of your shopping mail-order, because the only local stores are small boutiques of one kind or another. You commit to limited health services. You commit to somewhat limited groceries. I talked to the local butcher, a real break-the-carcass butcher, a couple of weeks ago about getting veal. "We haven't been able to get any from over the hill since the pandemic." (My son located some ground veal in the 'luxury meats' freezer case in the Safeway, nestled next to the bison and venison.)

I love it here. Would I have moved here with young children? Hell, no.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have also read that in the UK there's no such thing as a fixed-rate mortgage, only variable-rate. Is that true? Because ouch.

I live in a rural area (closest city is 7000 people.) I chose to move knowing this, and I don't regret it. One of the things we explicitly accepted when we moved in was that we'd probably die if we had heart attacks or strokes. The only hospital in the area is Level IV trauma, meaning "we can stabilize your vitals until we get you to an actual hospital"; we bought helicopter insurance so that if we're seriously ill that journey would be faster. Neither of the two veterinarians is accepting new patients. There are only two dental practices in town, and the wait to see a dental hygienist is at least six months. Everybody makes a trip 'over the hill' to the closest big city, a mighty 16,000. That's the closest Home Depot and Costco; there's no Target or anything similar.

It's a lot more complicated than "good Internet and you're fine". You commit to doing a lot of your shopping mail-order, because the only local stores are small boutiques of one kind or another. You commit to limited health services. You commit to somewhat limited groceries. I talked to the local butcher, a real break-the-carcass butcher, a couple of weeks ago about getting veal. "We haven't been able to get any from over the hill since the pandemic." (My son located some ground veal in the 'luxury meats' freezer case in the Safeway, nestled next to the bison and venison.)

I love it here. Would I have moved here with young children? Hell, no.
AL lives right next to where I grew up (I was about twenty minutes from the city she mentioned). The schools aren't terrible, but if you're a kid you're almost certainly either really into outdoorsy/farm poo poo, doing drugs and drinking, or spending a well and truly catastrophically unhealthy amount of time in front of a screen. Given my presence here, you can probably figure out where I fell.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 15, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ham Equity posted:

AL lives right next to where I grew up (I was about twenty minutes from the city she mentioned). The schools aren't terrible, but if you're a kid you're almost certainly either really into outdoorsy/farm poo poo, doing drugs and drinking, or spending a well and truly catastrophically unhealthy time in front of a screen. Given my presence here, you can probably figure out where I fell.

There's no shame in being a TCC poster.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Ham Equity posted:

....but if you're a kid you're almost certainly either really into outdoorsy/farm poo poo, doing drugs and drinking, or spending a well and truly catastrophically unhealthy amount of time in front of a screen.

There is room for all three, we got time!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Peoria is my literal hometown and i'm here to say: it sucks rear end. don't be fooled its cheap for a reason

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I grew up in a small town (grocery store, library, gas station, and a burger joint that was perpetually going in and out of business). School was pretty drat good, probably because the richest people in the area were Mormon farmers and at least out there they cared about education (I'm told Idaho Mormons disdain it). The nearest town with a Walmart or a Chinese restaurant was 40 minutes away. I did a lot of farm work and spent a ridiculous amount of time in front of a 486, dreaming about escaping the farm life so I could go touch computers professionally amongst other dedicated computer touchers. Now I'm in a big city dreaming about becoming a gentleman farmer (read: bad at farming) who doesn't have to touch computers so goddamn much.

I don't know that I have anything of value to add to the conversation, except to note that humans are exceptionally good at being unhappy where they are, and that even when you've lived on both sides of the fence, the other side can still look pretty loving green.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We do have fixed-rate mortgages but the term is much shorter, so rather than fixing for the entire term of your mortgage you'll fix for the next few years – usually 2, 3 or 5 years but I think some places offer longer. Then when that period expires you'll go onto the variable rate until you remortgage with a new fix.

This is causing a lot of people pain right now, as the average mortgage interest rate was really low for years, and in 2021 you could be fixing with less than a 2% interest rate. However over the last year or so the average rate has gone up to almost 6%, so anyone coming off a fix right now is getting hit with a massive increase in their monthly payment.

I do wonder if much longer fixed terms will become more common after this.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Oh hey, it’s Friday!

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Volcano posted:

We do have fixed-rate mortgages but the term is much shorter, so rather than fixing for the entire term of your mortgage you'll fix for the next few years – usually 2, 3 or 5 years but I think some places offer longer. Then when that period expires you'll go onto the variable rate until you remortgage with a new fix.

This is causing a lot of people pain right now, as the average mortgage interest rate was really low for years, and in 2021 you could be fixing with less than a 2% interest rate. However over the last year or so the average rate has gone up to almost 6%, so anyone coming off a fix right now is getting hit with a massive increase in their monthly payment.

I do wonder if much longer fixed terms will become more common after this.

We have those too in the US, but they're not as popular. They're called X/Y Adjustable-Rate Mortgages (ARMs), such as a 7/1 ARM which would be fixed for the first 7 years and then readjust every 1 year thereafter.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Peoria is just a small-ish city. My wife got a job offer there to work at Caterpillar. I’m sure it sucks, but it’s not like the total sticks.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sundae posted:

Oh hey, it’s Friday!

We could do with a Mod Challenge that HE can't post in this thread again until he admits he did not talk to a lawyer

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

We could do with a Mod Challenge that HE can't post in this thread again until he admits he did not talk to a lawyer

Didn't he say he talked with the lawyer 2 days ago?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Lockback posted:

Didn't he say he talked with the lawyer 2 days ago?

I'm still :f5h: waiting for an update. Did something happen?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nope, he only said "I have a call with a lawyer today" and has not commented since. If you're less cynical than I am and you believe this whole thing isn't a gimmick, you can believe he talked to the lawyer and the lawyer said "holy poo poo stop posting about this on the internet you nincompoop".

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

Nope, he only said "I have a call with a lawyer today" and has not commented since. If you're less cynical than I am and you believe this whole thing isn't a gimmick, you can believe he talked to the lawyer and the lawyer said "holy poo poo stop posting about this on the internet you nincompoop".

Ham Equity posted:

I expect most of the thread feels similarly. I can definitely understand the win/win of "I hope this goes well for you, but if it doesn't, there's always schadenfreude."

Call with the lawyer went well. She said she wasn't sure what the gently caress, it's kind of an unusual situation, but that she'd try to get back to us by tomorrow morning.

Although honestly I don't think there is much to talk about until the sellers actually say what they're going to do.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

rjmccall posted:

Peoria is just a small-ish city. My wife got a job offer there to work at Caterpillar. I’m sure it sucks, but it’s not like the total sticks.

the sticks have merit, there's fun redneck/outdoors poo poo to do in the sticks

Peoria is like the rust belt without the culture. It's the worst of all possible worlds. There's like one good part of town. Also a very good low key taco joint.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The dearth of emergency medical care is the primary reason we haven't bailed on the bay area for rural california paradise (well that and, uh, the paradise of your town burning to the ground with no way out, but that's avoidable by selecting a paradise with more than one road, maybe). My wife and I are knocking on 50 years old, we both have had medical problems including my wife needing life-saving surgery a couple years ago, our parents are elderly and sickly, and it's pretty tough to think you could be left alone without your partner because you were a hour ambulance ride away from care that they needed in 30 minutes to keep them alive.

There are reasons beyond just "that's where my job is" for why 70+% of americans live in cities. It's where all the other goods and services are concentrated too. And you know what? Goods and services are great, they loving rock. Looove me some services in particular. I love trees and solitude and ecosystems and peace and quiet and clear air and independence but also I looove having four choices within five miles for my vietnamese food, a fire station six blocks away with 24/7 paid professional firefighters inside and a fire hydrant outside my house they can hook up to, a dozen+ mechanics competing with each other to fix my car, and a municipal sewer system.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rjmccall posted:

It's actually worse in every way than nearly every other comparably sized city I've been to in the entire state. Except maybe Springfield. It's similar to Springfield.

Move to Bloomington. Move to Champaign. Move to the burbs. Why would you go to Peoria

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe the options are Peoria, Jackson MS, Preston ID, and Torrington WY

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I'm still amused about this being such a perfect lesson in how leverage shifts after you sign the big check.

I know buyers *feel* like there is all this pressure on them and its a sellers market, yada yada. But really you have a ton of leverage, all the way up until closing.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Hotel Kpro posted:

hmm you got me there

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Outside of some stupid, out of my control factor like money or climate change or whatever, I will never ever ever not live in or directly adjacent to a top 15 US major metro. Even with that, I probably wouldn’t accept living in half of the ones in that category.

I’d also accept international major metros, but that’s more complicated.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Hotel Kpro posted:

That Arkansas town the tech millionaire turned fusion crackpot was buying up incompetently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What? you don't want to work for CAT?

My uncle has done his whole career there. Bounced between Peoria, Decatur, and Japan. He is 2 years from retiring and they are buying a house in Colorado. They don't want to live in either Peoria or Decatur as "we want to be some place our 4 kids actually wan to visit".

T-minus 5.5 hours to the Ham key exchange.