Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

whydirt posted:

lmao alliances are never going to launch

I'm still holding onto hope for Polymock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Inzombiac posted:

Isn't it weird how every game that came out when I was 15 is a masterpiece and everything before and after is hot garbage poop from a diseased butt?

What a coincidence!

I actually disliked GW1 at launch. WoW had shown the world that you actually could let players level up solo without the sky falling, so GW1’s team focus felt like a regression.

Without getting too much into the :goonsay: weeds, I think GW1 is so enjoyable today because it’s a snapshot of ArenaNet at their height as a studio. By the time HoT flopped it was clear something was rotten in the state of ANet. They never really recovered from that. This utterly noncommittal and directionless anniversary letter is kind of the modern state of the studio in microcosm.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Honestly I think there was a noticeable dip in quality in a lot of places with Arenanet once a lot of the bigger people left the studio and the studio became owned by NCSoft. They've always been rather ambitious about how they wish to deliver content but it's clear something is holding them back in areas and I get the feeling it's definitely tied to NCSoft interference.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

I don't have anything to add to this, but I love your avatar. Is there a screenshot of it you could share to see in all its shiny glory?

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Best I could find off-hand

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I feel bad for the work from home devs, at the end is a random message from management that they will all be meeting in the offices face to face.

Why would the players care to know that?

Just FYI, this was not mandatory, just a time for people who wanted to meet and hang in person. Remote workers aren’t being forced to come in, and the activities are being done in a way where those who don’t can participate, where reasonable. There was also months of notice beforehand. I’m not going in myself, since I can’t stand air travel.

So far anet seems pretty committed to allowing remote work. Hopefully it stays that way.

As someone else said, it was likely just mentioned to explain any lessened communication.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

chglcu posted:

Just FYI, this was not mandatory, just a time for people who wanted to meet and hang in person. Remote workers aren’t being forced to come in, and the activities are being done in a way where those who don’t can participate, where reasonable. There was also months of notice beforehand. I’m not going in myself, since I can’t stand air travel.

So far anet seems pretty committed to allowing remote work. Hopefully it stays that way.

As someone else said, it was likely just mentioned to explain any lessened communication.

I dunno, at the places I've worked at these meet and greets which are "optional" are always considered when they are thinking about who's a "team player" and who isn't when it comes time for layoffs.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It also lets you social pressure workers into showing up and coming anyways, to normalize the office as a nexus for peoples' time and then the eventual RTO order becomes a lot more palatable since they have you coming in for social things frequently anyways. You're used to driving in on a friday afternoon, now just come in on a friday morning too

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Yeah, those are potentially valid concerns, and if it becomes a frequent thing, I might start to worry. As a one off, this one doesn't have me concerned, though. For the moment, I don't see an RTO coming, largely because we've gotten a lot of good people who previously left back due to remote work. Companies do stupid stuff all the time though, so who knows.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think everyone should always assume that an MBA is behaving like you would expect from an MBA and it's up to the MBA to prove otherwise.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

My boss (an engineering director) has told me directly that he'd quit if we ever RTO, and I have it on good authority that Colin is in the game boat, though he's never told me, specifically. The entire in-office meet has been framed from the beginning as a "hey, let's get to meet all the cool new coworkers that have started here since we started doing full WFH' and the schedule they've sent out for it (which is full of non-work games and activities) reflects that.

I'm with chglcu here. Call us naive if you want. vOv

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Alright I don't feel as concerned for the workers then.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Really not into the new 'camp on skyscale, spam fireball' method of event tagging.

Maybe I'm just getting real unlucky this weekend but it seems like it's every other event in the new maps. Amnytas I kind of get since the Special is more easily gotten there but boy has it turned events into shitshows sometimes.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Theres an achievement that needs you to kill like 200 mobs with the fireball or something.

So start to love it. It's not going away.

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014

Old Boot posted:

Really not into the new 'camp on skyscale, spam fireball' method of event tagging.

Maybe I'm just getting real unlucky this weekend but it seems like it's every other event in the new maps. Amnytas I kind of get since the Special is more easily gotten there but boy has it turned events into shitshows sometimes.

I definitely agree, it’s a little frustrating of a continuation of what happened with the turtle mount and people thinking the stomp attack had any real value. (I guess it sorta did before it got nerfed)
That was most noticeable on the final boss for Gyala map where the burn phase is much worse if people don’t dismount from their turtle.

The skyscale fireball definitely does more damage and it’d be a shame if they changed that but I could see Anet trying to make that attack count for less contribution for events maybe.

That said I really enjoy using it and the related race/shooting gallery mini games are a ton of fun.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
:sigh:

Be less of a pain if I could at least see what the gently caress I'm doing in the middle of fireball hell.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Turn off other player effects

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
And then it also turns off a few random boss effects like orange circles around other players you have to stay out of or green circles you have to stand inside or die, oopsy.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

And then it also turns off a few random boss effects like orange circles around other players you have to stay out of or green circles you have to stand inside or die, oopsy.

I wish they’d fix this. Boss mechanics like green and orange circles should be toggled on/off separately, or, y’know, just don’t give people the option to turn them off.

I don’t know why you’d run a strike like KO and not have visibility of orange circles on yourself/others, that is a guaranteed way to wipe, and not have a good time. That being said, I was thrilled when they added the reduced effects option, and the option to turn off effects outside of your squad/party is great.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 17, 2023

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
The skyscale fireball is a cool idea and i like it more than the original attack but yeah it's easy to just fly around using it to tag things for events and easy to forget it's honestly a pretty weak attack.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

This, and also, I would honestly miss the ball of cartoon violence that erupts in large groups. The effects are less of a pain because I don't have to care anywhere near as much about what I'm doing until a blender of burst damage reaches out from the pile and smites me.

If it's me and one other person on the ground and some guy way up above just barfing fireballs it becomes a lot more sketchy. I and the person I've been playing with the most just started leaving the harder events if it was just the two of us going skin-of-our-teeth and one guy hovering up above.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I do wish you could set like a number of players to render effects rather than it being all or nothing (unless in a group)

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Starkly obvious newbie thought of the day: it's amazing the kind of difference even a few pieces of ascended gear in the right combo can make.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Ascended gear is really only a little better than exotics you can just buy. A full set is only giving you around 12.5% extra stats - noticable, but outside of higher tier fractals (just for the AR) and extreme end-game content (or to put it another way, HTCM) it's not going to allow you to do anything you couldn't do in exotics. In another MMO it'd be a bigger deal, but most instanced content is designed around a damage output of less than 20k per player, when decent builds are outputting over 40k.

You're probably just getting better at playing your character and the game generally.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
:thunk:

Nah that can't be it

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Old Boot posted:

Starkly obvious newbie thought of the day: it's amazing the kind of difference even a few pieces of ascended gear in the right combo can make.

Ascended weapons will be a notable difference in Power builds due to the improved damage range of the weapon itself, but otherwise the difference should be imperceptible outside of parsing on a dummy.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Biggest overall difference I've noticed with ascended gear is for building agony resistance in fractals. Just being able to infuse everything (and add the extra slot on jewelry) with +9 agony resistance infusions and hit 150 AR is a game changer. Maybe that's obvious to fractal pros, but not necessarily explained well in-game. I was getting absolutely roasted in exotics while running mid/high tier fractals, but as soon as I capped agony resistance with ascended gear, it was night and day. From impossible to survive and staring at the floor to completely totally doable.

Also, I love that you can buy bags of Laurels now, and it's way easier to purchase infusions for gear. That's helped me gear out a bunch of alts.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 18, 2023

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Also is that "right combo" for the ascended gear different from what you had before? Ascended vs. exotic isn't that big a difference, but using the right stat combo is huge. There's a few agreed-upon best sets for most types of builds, a whole ton of trap options, and some very niche builds that mix and match from different combos to min-max certain stats

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

kind of depends, small number increases can make a big difference, especially if you end up hitting that precision threshold where you reach 100% critrate

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
for power builds and condi virt there are not a lot of things more important than capping crit

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
TBF I was mostly giving myself poo poo on the 'nah that can't be it' part. I'm wholly willing to believe I'm just more used to the game now/more used to looking at which numbers do what and what I can "budget" for with the wiggle room that little ascended stat bump allows you. It's made a difference, but yea it's mostly in the 'kill you in two seconds' areas that used to give me hives to play through.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Gratz!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

That was one of my firsts and I never regretted it. Good job.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

the storm dragon known only as ""Ligma""

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

:toot:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

where the red fern gropes posted:

the storm dragon known only as ""Ligma""

They should probably update that

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

That's awesome, congrats!

I have never built a legendary - didn't know it presents you with a screen like that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

kung fu jive posted:

That's awesome, congrats!

I have never built a legendary - didn't know it presents you with a screen like that.

There's one for when you make it and a different one for when you bind it.

I really hope each Wizard Vault cycle has a leggy starter pack with different choices. I'm happy to do more map completion as a way to zone out after work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I am pretty sure that's how it will work, which is why I'm snatching up the current dirt cheap legendaries that will probably have some resell value when the box is gone in 2 months.