Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I suspect I'll end up clearing them on the casual playthrough I'm attempting with the missus. She genuinely wants to clear them all, which is odd given that she's usually either upset or annoyed by how crushingly depressing they usually turn out.

they’re not all terrible or anything but like one of them is “kill a treasure goblin in one specific subzone” to get the quest starter. or like “click a corpse on the beach but it has to be on this part of the coast and it has to be one of the corpses with this name, not the more common corpse with this other name” or “the thing you need to click to start this quest can spawn in any of these 5 places across all of this zone, but it doesn’t have to spawn and if it does spawn, it doesn’t have to drop the quest stater” or “do this marked quest chain and then go to an area unrelated to that quest chain and kill one specific mob type on the overworld to get a quest item that starts another chain where you have to kill specific different unrelated mobs.

you can stumble into all that, and that’s what i tried to do the first character i made, but stumbling into all of them naturally is just like. i dunno i’ve put in an embarrassing amount of hours into this game and didn’t see em. maybe my playstyle is just the wrong kind to find them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I think I missed 2-3 per zone just grabbing all I could the first time I played. I also must not play right or do the right things to stumble into the others. I should go through the effort of tracking them all down in each game mode though.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

stuxracer posted:

I think I missed 2-3 per zone just grabbing all I could the first time I played. I also must not play right or do the right things to stumble into the others. I should go through the effort of tracking them all down in each game mode though.

No, the game should have some mechanic to send you to a quest, like if you have no quests left in a zone the tree of whispers will give you a hint or make a whisper quest that will help you encounter a random one of the uncompleted quests in that zone. You shouldn’t have to just wander endlessly hoping to effectively lottery your way into it, it’s just piss poor design and execution

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Yeah it would make it easier. I didn’t read quest text so I would miss those anyways but having something to get you in the general area would be good. Personally I’d probably still read a guide but I know others enjoy the hunt that has some hints along the way.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

pseudanonymous posted:

You shouldn’t have to just wander endlessly

"have to" is doing some lifting here, yeah? This is still just for people trying to 100% all side quests for the in game triumph thingy?

Wild to think that I'm jumping for joy over no more renown grind ever again, and others are wishing for help finding more side quests!

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I like both :shobon:
I don’t want to grind quests every season but I think some of the quest chains were fun to do.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i like the tree of whispers idea personally. i don’t like having to use outside resources for games when i can help it, so designing things in game to help navigate you to unseen quests appeals to me. i guess it also makes some sense for designer since it helps to make sure more people can surface the quests more easily so they have more to engage with if they like that system

i guess it’s more academic in D4 since the dialogue is usually “thanks for finding my tchotchkes” and the reward 6 herbs or a shard, but

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Each quest giving a couple of whispers would also help to make it slightly more worth your while go do.

Do tend to think that they spent an awful lot of resources on side quests that could have been better used elsewhere.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

There are definitely some neat quests in the game that do a good job of adding to the atmosphere of the game, but once you have done them exactly once there is really no reason to ever do them again aside from the need for more renown, which ends up making them feel like a chore. I feel like the game is eventually going to reach a point where all the story completion just carries over because redoing all that stuff to unlock skill / paragon points just feels like busywork - they just need more meat on the bone with endgame content to replace that first.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i accidentally did a couple too many, but i think if you have all the statues/exploration/waypoints and do each dungeon once, you only need about 10 quests done total across all zones to hit max renown, which itself is going to become moot in S2 if you’ve done it even once

i think those people looking to do every quest regardless because there was a tracker showing completion we’re going to want to do all quests regardless of what kind of sense it made or renown it provided

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

harrygomm posted:

i accidentally did a couple too many, but i think if you have all the statues/exploration/waypoints and do each dungeon once, you only need about 10 quests done total across all zones to hit max renown, which itself is going to become moot in S2 if you’ve done it even once

i think those people looking to do every quest regardless because there was a tracker showing completion we’re going to want to do all quests regardless of what kind of sense it made or renown it provided

It’s different than running the same dungeons over and over.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"have to" is doing some lifting here, yeah? This is still just for people trying to 100% all side quests for the in game triumph thingy?

Wild to think that I'm jumping for joy over no more renown grind ever again, and others are wishing for help finding more side quests!

It's because there's nothing else to do in the end game, so people go for the 100% to break up the monotony of the grind to 100.

The idea that Blizzard somehow for some reason 4D chessed a quest tracker out of the game as part of their master plan rather than it being an incredibly embarrassing oversight is just cope.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d4/t/hotfix-september-14-2023-114/125343

More XP

quote:

HOTFIX - SEPTEMBER 14, 2023 - 1.1.3

THIS HOTFIX IS CURRENTLY BEING ROLLED OUT TO ALL PLAYERS.

Game Updates

Experience gains for killing monsters has been increased in World Tiers 3 & 4
World Tier 3: Experience gain increased by 5%
World Tier 4: Experience gain increased by 15%

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

How does this stack with the 20% seasonal boost?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Probably in the worst way possible.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
it's divisive instead of multiplicative, and then square rooted because of a misplaced comma in the code

oops!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I’m just glad they at least recognize the endgame is a total slog. It gives me some hope that they’ll continue to tune and improve it. Season 2 needs to be way less demanding of our time. I know they’re trying to get the most possible play time out of us, but they don’t seem to understand what’s fun. I say speed this poo poo way up and encourage us to play multiple characters in a season. Or give us the ability to swap builds easily to keep the gameplay fresh. Right now it’s too much of the same thing for too long.

I like the game, but I don’t have the time nor motivation to hit 100. It’s so slow and the power upgrades so incremental. It’s just not fun.

At this point I run a few NM dungeons, grab a helltide, then I’m ready to log off.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I just hit lvl100, and i've never maxed out a Diablo character before so i'm pretty happy, but the last week has kinda felt like going through the motions. I think the biggest problem is I got similar XP from doing lvl 60 NMD's as doing ones in the 80's, and once you factor in clearing speed its probably twice as fast to go through dungeons which aren't that challenging.

Half my gear is probably A grade, but a bunch of items still have either a poor roll or just not at 4/4 item. Problem is that doesn't matter in terms of getting to 100, its more a matter of time commitment than having top gear.

I don't think I have the patience to learn the Lillith fight, I struggle to pick up the floor patterns amongst the corpse explosion's/tendrils and I'm not sure I have the reaction speed to get it done anyway, there just seems to be a awful lot of one shot attacks.

Still I'll be back for season two, although I doubt i'll get to 100 again.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ehud posted:

I’m just glad they at least recognize the endgame is a total slog. It gives me some hope that they’ll continue to tune and improve it. Season 2 needs to be way less demanding of our time. I know they’re trying to get the most possible play time out of us, but they don’t seem to understand what’s fun. I say speed this poo poo way up and encourage us to play multiple characters in a season. Or give us the ability to swap builds easily to keep the gameplay fresh. Right now it’s too much of the same thing for too long.

I like the game, but I don’t have the time nor motivation to hit 100. It’s so slow and the power upgrades so incremental. It’s just not fun.

At this point I run a few NM dungeons, grab a helltide, then I’m ready to log off.

Yep, this is me as well. I like the core gameplay well enough, and I'm caught because while I'm not bored with the Druid, it would be fun to mix it up with another class or another build, and it's so much of a pain in the rear end to do that. I vaguely remember being able to swap easily between builds in D3, so hopefully it'll come soon.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Give me more xp gain in the base game, too, you dorks.

Also make early game barb and Druid fun!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Give me more xp gain in the base game, too, you dorks.

Also make early game barb and Druid fun!

This boost is for the base game (WT3 and 4).

There is another separate XP boost for the season blessing.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This boost is for the base game (WT3 and 4).

There is another separate XP boost for the season blessing.

I want more xp WT1 and WT2 though :smith:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

I want more xp WT1 and WT2 though :smith:

that's like 4 hours of gameplay

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Not for me it isn’t.

But I guess I don’t just zoom from the most efficient dungeon for grinding levels 1-15, then run domhaine tunnels forever.

Do you seriously get from 1-50 in 4 hours?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kaysette posted:

that's like 4 hours of gameplay

No it’s not

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ehud posted:

That’s about what I do too. And even at 71, there’s like a 10% chance I’ll be able to upgrade one item out of all the loot I get from those.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Not for me it isn’t.

But I guess I don’t just zoom from the most efficient dungeon for grinding levels 1-15, then run domhaine tunnels forever.

Sorcerer took me 3 hours to 50 after the chain lightning patch

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
the hotfix also addressed the thing bots were using to get tens of millions of seeds of hatred. i know why they don’t but i wish they shared how some of these things were done after they’ve patched it

e: this might be an explanation: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d4/t/fix-this-bug-10min-10m-red-dust-1h-400m-gold/84694/13

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 15, 2023

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Not for me it isn’t.

It takes me like 5-8 hours playing normally and doing quests

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
i was exaggerating but yes it should definitely take you much less than 10 hours to get to wt3 even if you stop to pick some flowers or whatever

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Dang that’s fast.

I also watch cutscenes and listen to dialogue. That’s probably slowing me down too.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
lol gently caress this game has a lot of economy obliterating bugs and the company that made it has zero appetite to give a poo poo, eh

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
lol, economy in Diablo games.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Verviticus posted:

lol gently caress this game has a lot of economy obliterating bugs and the company that made it has zero appetite to give a poo poo, eh
Economy…?

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
you can barely even trade in this game lol i couldn't give a poo poo if people exploit to the moon and back

Kaysette posted:

i was exaggerating but yes it should definitely take you much less than 10 hours to get to wt3 even if you stop to pick some flowers or whatever

you could comfortably clear 1-50 in under 3 hours if you are a mechanic understander. you could probably drop it to 90 minutes if you're some sort of freak

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Tonetta posted:

you can barely even trade in this game lol i couldn't give a poo poo if people exploit to the moon and back

you could comfortably clear 1-50 in under 3 hours if you are a mechanic understander. you could probably drop it to 90 minutes if you're some sort of freak

What are these hallowed mechanics that need understanding?

Treadmill the most mob dense dungeons? Skip bosses and objectives?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

bird food bathtub posted:

lol, economy in Diablo games.
That Always Sunny meme but she's asking how 2 pulverise druids with full seasonal bonus don't have 50 levels between them.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

What are these hallowed mechanics that need understanding?

Treadmill the most mob dense dungeons? Skip bosses and objectives?

this plus knowing what build you're going to go and being able to just slam all your skill points in 2 seconds, followed by understanding what gear you're looking for, when to pick things up, when to back to town, etc. arpg's are about time management almost as much as anything else

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

putin is a oval office posted:

The idea that Blizzard somehow for some reason 4D chessed a quest tracker out of the game as part of their master plan rather than it being an incredibly embarrassing oversight is just cope.

I was born in 1986, I don't know what 4d chess and cope are

I would simply suggest that you not play the game in a way that bores you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I was born in 1986, I don't know what 4d chess and cope are

I would simply suggest that you not play the game in a way that bores you.

Your post was what was being referred to as cope, hth