Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

DrBouvenstein posted:

Get a Pixel. I mean...still no 3.5mm jack (boo hoo, it comes with a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter, stop whining) but it's pure Android, no UI skinning/un-installable vendor/3rd party apps like a Samsung or any phone from Verizon or whatever.

I jumped on this train and it was a little worse than the Samsung it replaced but overall fine. I ended up buying a USB-C to 3.5mm jack and USB-C for charging in the off chance I need to charge and use the jack and also so I could use my noise cancelling earmuff hookup while mowing the lawn. Funny how you don't realize some of the weird things that are going to be less functional until you go to hook them up. These are perfectly good earmuffs and should last 20 years but of course... the connection that should be the most reliable, hard wiring, is the one that broke. I bought them rather than a bluetooth model since I figured that was more reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I'm going to get one of those bluetooth cigarette lighter adapter things for my next road trip. They seem pretty handy. Anyone know if the sound quality through them is alright?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Jelly posted:

I'm going to get one of those bluetooth cigarette lighter adapter things for my next road trip. They seem pretty handy. Anyone know if the sound quality through them is alright?

Just bought one recently, the sound quality is extremely not alright.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Now I'm thinking about those old devices we used to use for car auxiliary audio solutions. FM transmitters and those cassette tapes that had a cord that came out

I liked the FM transmitter and how you could screw with people's radios next to you at red lights

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Fm transmitters are garbo, get a bluetooth adapter that has a 3.5 output for an aux jack. If you don't have an aux jack look online to see if there's an adapter you can get that plugs into where a cd changer would go on the stock radio, and failing that use a casstte adapter if your car can take tapes or a wired fm modulator if not

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Tenkaris posted:

Now I'm thinking about those old devices we used to use for car auxiliary audio solutions. FM transmitters and those cassette tapes that had a cord that came out

I liked the FM transmitter and how you could screw with people's radios next to you at red lights

I had the cassette thing and it worked for a while before the tape deck would cause it to pause every 10 seconds.

I once followed someone on the freeway with an FM transmitter and they were using it for their phone on the frequency of the radio station I like. So I got to hear one side of their conversation which consisted entirely of what she had fed her son in the last 24 hours. Not even a medical problem, just "oh I fed him oatmeal and then-". I felt like I was in the NSA

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

wash bucket posted:

I'm looking for a new car for the first time in a long time. Went to a local Ford dealership's website and lmao. It's like one of those shifty file sharing sites where you've got to guess which download button is the real download button. Animated poo poo won't stop popping up. Chat windows pop up in the corner of every page. Something somewhere is audibly beeping.

Even better, Ford automatically pushes vehicles to the dealership website. So if you are looking for something a little harder to find, most of the listings are going to be for preorders that are already spoken for.

But on the topic of retail sites, Walmart and Target.com are completely useless to view. There’s no guarantee what is on the website is even an item that they sell, as it’s mostly third party listings.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

skooma512 posted:

So I got to hear one side of their conversation which consisted entirely of what she had fed her son in the last 24 hours. Not even a medical problem, just "oh I fed him oatmeal and then-". I felt like I was in the NSA

Ugh this reminds me of my family. For some reason when anyone went on a vacation, when they got back they would tell us mostly about what they ate every day. My brain doesn't even bother storing this information past a few days unless it was a special restaurant or something but no, a full week's itinerary of meals including fast food and everything. :psyduck:

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Sentient Data posted:

Fm transmitters are garbo, get a bluetooth adapter that has a 3.5 output for an aux jack. If you don't have an aux jack look online to see if there's an adapter you can get that plugs into where a cd changer would go on the stock radio, and failing that use a casstte adapter if your car can take tapes or a wired fm modulator if not

thanks, this makes more sense

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

StormDrain posted:

I jumped on this train and it was a little worse than the Samsung it replaced but overall fine. I ended up buying a USB-C to 3.5mm jack and USB-C for charging in the off chance I need to charge and use the jack and also so I could use my noise cancelling earmuff hookup while mowing the lawn.

Are any of these USB-C to 3.5 mm adapters not big pieces of poo poo? I've been through like 20 of them and they all either wear way too quickly or have tons of weird interference problems.

A few have even randomly disconnected while using them, causing whatever embarrassing music I'm listening to to be broadcasted through my phone's speaker.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

bossy lady posted:

Are any of these USB-C to 3.5 mm adapters not big pieces of poo poo? I've been through like 20 of them and they all either wear way too quickly or have tons of weird interference problems.

A few have even randomly disconnected while using them, causing whatever embarrassing music I'm listening to to be broadcasted through my phone's speaker.

USB C connectors really loving suck unfortunately, they are just not that durable

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
They have been lovely forever, but YouTube ads are so Nazified it's sickening. Better reach for that remote, otherwise you're in for 5 minutes of pure transphobe bullshit.

Just burn it all down imo

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

bossy lady posted:

It's fine. It does get weird interference and I really hoped it wouldn't. It's supposed to have an on board DAC, it's Anker brand, but it still. Just likes to make some random noises.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Tenkaris posted:

USB C connectors really loving suck unfortunately, they are just not that durable

Yeah the SMD part loving sucks

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

MrQwerty posted:

Yeah the SMD part loving sucks

I hate SMD so loving much.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

The USB-C connector is real delicate

That one's broken but you can see how easy it is to stress it out

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

KozmoNaut posted:

Phones.

They're all just poo poo. Crap battery life, no 3,5mm jack, gigantic screens.

And you either have to deal with horrible customizations on top of already imperfect Android or pay the Apple tax with all the associated drawbacks.

There are no good phones.

samsungs are good ime, but i don't know if they get a lot more crapware in the US.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I've gone through more usb-c cables than I expected. At first, every cable was great and lasted forever. As I added more cables to my collection (one for the car, bedside, poo poo practically every outlet I happen to spend regular time near) they started failing after a couple months. Price makes little difference anymore. Some have died within weeks. It's just one of those things I have to replace constantly. Thankfully everything everywhere uses it so there's always spares, not like the old days where every device had its own connector.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

samsungs are good ime, but i don't know if they get a lot more crapware in the US.

Samsung phones have unreal amounts of crapware in the states. Everything they skinned is just worse then the android default, and it's not like the android default is a paragon of design or something.

Also, even without it's crapware, I'd agree with OP - phones just suck so loving much to use. I hate them with a passion. My favorite phone was my Microsoft Duo, but it really just fixes a couple UX problems on what is actually a heaping pile of garbage.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

MrQwerty posted:

The USB-C connector is real delicate

That one's broken but you can see how easy it is to stress it out

These really should have tabs on either side that solder into the ground plane to give them structural integrity. I guess that would add a fraction of a cent to the manufacturing cost though so gently caress that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

sebmojo posted:

I'm in Denmark and they're utterly crappified in the EU market, too. And I hate their custom launcher.

I worked on a project that involved smart TV apps and I've looked at some code that came from Samsung. loving nope, don't want that garbage on any device.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

bossy lady posted:

These really should have tabs on either side that solder into the ground plane to give them structural integrity. I guess that would add a fraction of a cent to the manufacturing cost though so gently caress that.

They have 4 posts, they're all visible. They're just shallow, and that's partly a pick and place thing, because the USB-C port is a SMD part that goes on in the chip mounter, not a drop-in.
The back posts are right next to the 24 microscopic pins that will eventually have solder stress fractures

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Samsung phones have unreal amounts of crapware in the states. Everything they skinned is just worse then the android default, and it's not like the android default is a paragon of design or something.

Also, even without it's crapware, I'd agree with OP - phones just suck so loving much to use. I hate them with a passion. My favorite phone was my Microsoft Duo, but it really just fixes a couple UX problems on what is actually a heaping pile of garbage.

I've been using Motorola this whole time and you know what? Pretty much no complaints. Good bang for the buck.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Noobles posted:

Speaking of Windows, I’ve had the displeasure of dealing with 11 a few times now.

Remember in 7/10 when you right click a file and it gives you a bunch of common options for things you might want to do with that file? Now in 11 when you right click a file it just shows you pictures so you get to guess, and even better, not all of the old options are there! You now have to right-click, then go to the bottom of the menu and click more options or some poo poo and THEN you get the full list of options that always used to be there, except it takes an extra click. gently caress.
If you shift right click it shows the old menu "more options"

bossy lady posted:

The ones that came with my pixels that I have 2 of still work, but if I had to get another a lot of goons recommend the apple one and I think it's cheaper.

May be the ONLY equivalent apple thing that is cheaper.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

erosion posted:

I've been using Motorola this whole time and you know what? Pretty much no complaints. Good bang for the buck.

I was really happy with my Moto G Power. Great battery life, only one non-removable Motorola app that is easy to ignore, and it was $50 after a rebate. Then they stopped doing security updates 5 months after got it, when the phone had only been on the market for a year and a half. And of course it's one of the few Motorola phones that can't run LineageOS.

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

Saw a good post on a Reddit discussion about the Unity bullshit that I think is relevant to this thread

quote:

As Cory Doctorow said, platforms go through four stages.

1. First, they try to provide a good experience to their users, in order to build a customer base.
2. Then, they abuse their users to provide a good experience for their corporate partners.
3. Then, they abuse their corporate partners to make money for their shareholders.
4. Then, they die.

The faster the executives see Stage 4 approaching, the faster they feel the need to speedrun stages 2 and 3.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Instacart IPO'd apparently? I noticed in the last few months it had gone insane in the amount of Sponsored recommendations. Like as many as 8 (2 screens worth on mobile) sponsored before the most relevant results. Sometimes something that matches an entire word will be dozens of screens past stuff that doesn't mention the word, too

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

1: Whoops, my browser lost focus, let me click on it to bring it back, and, oh, there's literally nowhere I can click on this web page that doesn't result in either a video playing, or a new page loading.

2: Hm, let me read this interesting passage, but first, where the hell can my mouse go that doesn't result in something popping up in front of the text I'm trying to read?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
IPO = [This product/service] Is Probably Over.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

doctorfrog posted:

2: Hm, let me read this interesting passage, but first, where the hell can my mouse go that doesn't result in something popping up in front of the text I'm trying to read?

This one in particular drives me insane. "Let me just check the scores of todays games real quick, oh wait my mouse touched something in the menu bar and now a giant menu is now blocking the entire page. Ok I'll just move my mouse away, oh great that just opened more menus, and one of them has a video playing in it somehow."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I would love to have a daily physical media product delivered to my house in the morning with an easy to read and edited summary of the previous days sports and political events along with curated listings of upcoming local events

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

is pepsi ok posted:

This one in particular drives me insane. "Let me just check the scores of todays games real quick, oh wait my mouse touched something in the menu bar and now a giant menu is now blocking the entire page. Ok I'll just move my mouse away, oh great that just opened more menus, and one of them has a video playing in it somehow."

Now that Aaron is retired he should look into web development

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

euphronius posted:

I would love to have a daily physical media product delivered to my house in the morning with an easy to read and edited summary of the previous days sports and political events along with curated listings of upcoming local events

same but just milk, fresh milk

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

I used to have that but the summaries started to get pretty low-effort and buried in ads, and the curated lists started to become curated by idiots.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Sounds like it might be worth starting some kind of co-op newspaper, but just strictly written by locals and with no public comments or generated text allowed. Hell, not even AP wire stories. I feel like there's going to be a lot more demand for things that are explicitly human-written soon

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The paper for my area isn't completely awful content yet, but the more subscribers they lose the more they raise the price. At this point it's $40 a month and on days they arbitrary declare to be "premium editions" they tack on an extra $8 to your bill without asking.

When I attempted to unsubscribe I was on hold for over an hour and then got connected to a customer service rep that had never heard of that newspaper and had no idea what I was talking about.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Sentient Data posted:

Sounds like it might be worth starting some kind of co-op newspaper, but just strictly written by locals and with no public comments or generated text allowed. Hell, not even AP wire stories. I feel like there's going to be a lot more demand for things that are explicitly human-written soon

Bah, you’ll never maximize quarterly earnings that way.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

doctorfrog posted:

I love reading documentation where there are so many divs that it looks like they are trying to map out a Fibonacci spiral and the content area is less than a third of the screen. Bonus points if the scroll bars disappear if you are not hovering over them.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

caleb posted:

I love reading documentation where there are so many divs that it looks like they are trying to map out a Fibonacci spiral and the content area is less than a third of the screen. Bonus points if the scroll bars disappear if you are not hovering over them.

As an automated software tester the nested divs are the bane of my existence. I need to identify an element with reliable xpath, but every change to the page causes the framework to reflow the layout with more or less nested divs, and spacer sibling divs. I have to get really creative to specifically identify one text box.

Edit: Speaking of which, the developers/framework don't give elements a default id. If they're lazy, there's no id, if the framework is configured a certain way, it generates random ids on page load or build. Rarely do I get a real, static, descriptive id value to use.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

anonumos posted:

As an automated software tester the nested divs are the bane of my existence. I need to identify an element with reliable xpath, but every change to the page causes the framework to reflow the layout with more or less nested divs, and spacer sibling divs. I have to get really creative to specifically identify one text box.

Edit: Speaking of which, the developers/framework don't give elements a default id. If they're lazy, there's no id, if the framework is configured a certain way, it generates random ids on page load or build. Rarely do I get a real, static, descriptive id value to use.

Hi friend. I went from auto QA to dev and let me tell you. I whipped those other fuckers into shape about adding IDs and poo poo. You gotta force those fuckers to do anything worthwhile