Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Any word from meltz on late buys for all out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Any word from meltz on late buys for all out?

Dave says 180-190 for All In, 81-90 for All Out.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Turn half of the special dynamites into MAXPVs instead of creating new ones if that’s the way they end up going.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I really don’t want 12 PPVs a year but between actual PPVs and special episodes of Dynamite (like Grand Slam) they probably do a bunch of that level of show already. And if it ends up being on HBO Max, a service I already pay for, then I have no real room to complain about getting to watch more wrestling at no additional cost to what I’m already spending each month.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

The Max app can't be worse than the terrible Fire Stick BR app. It struggles with: fast-forwarding, playing without buffering, and purchases.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Gotta imagine they’ll get significantly better in-app billing on max too. Whenever I’ve tried to find the PPV on BRLive I have to dig through a few screens it feels like.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

kitten emergency posted:

Gotta imagine they’ll get significantly better in-app billing on max too. Whenever I’ve tried to find the PPV on BRLive I have to dig through a few screens it feels like.

Yeah I never know how to actually find AEW stuff in Bleacher Report which is weird because it feels like that is the only thing that is actually selling any content in that abysmal app

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I dunno what you guys are doing, but every PPV I've bought on BR is like, two button presses and I'm watching the show.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

MJeff posted:

I dunno what you guys are doing, but every PPV I've bought on BR is like, two button presses and I'm watching the show.

Buy it on the Android app using Google Pay, watch it on the Roku TV app. That's all I do to make BR work.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Never had a problem with Roku’s BR app for purchasing, navigating within the show isn’t great (and won’t improve based on my recent experience with Max).

Takes me forever to find shows in the iOS app though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I dont want to get Max but if AEW heads there I will willingly open my coffers for it.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
You don't want to risk missing out on another thrilling Battle of the Belts, subscribe today.
I do think a potential benefit is a restructuring of the calendar and spacing out of the 12 events.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Tato posted:

You don't want to risk missing out on another thrilling Battle of the Belts, subscribe today.
I do think a potential benefit is a restructuring of the calendar and spacing out of the 12 events.

Just a heads up, however the calendar shakes out, All In and All Out are still gonna be a week apart.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

MJeff posted:

its the if-you-buy-early or try to watch a replay it's the absolutely absurd profile edit process to find them

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

MJeff posted:

Well, for starters you would think the event starting in 15 minutes would be somewhere on the home screen, but it’s not, you have to use the search feature. Then you basically have to remember the only way to find any AEW or ROH PPVs is to search for “AEW” and I would say generally if you have to remember how to search for something it is very bad UX.

This doesn’t even get into finding the event page where you buy it if you’re too early for the event page to be at the top of the results.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Profile > My Events

Pretty sure the moment you order an event it gets added in there, whether you’re buying a previously streamed one or something coming up

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
See, the issue is people are assuming the PPVs will be part of your MAX subscription. But with the state of the streaming landscape, I wouldn't be surprised with them wanting $600 a year on TOP of the sub fee.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I get MAX for $5 as part of my ancient, grandfathered D Stream plan, so I am all for this

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Gaz-L posted:

See, the issue is people are assuming the PPVs will be part of your MAX subscription. But with the state of the streaming landscape, I wouldn't be surprised with them wanting $600 a year on TOP of the sub fee.

I don't expect that to happen at all tbh

Max barely has the infrastructure ready for live event streaming, they definitely aren't ready to start charging for in-app purchases.

TKO will do it because they've already proven people will do it with UFC but this seems like it would be more like a Peacock deal. Having people subscribe to Max year round to watch the papes is the draw

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I just hope the international fans won't get screwed.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

I would be surprised. There is currently a plan to do a sports tier on Max that would be free for now and then go paid by March Madness. So you'd pay some extra fee for the sports stuff.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

I'm in the US and do the VPN + Fite TV streaming. 6 bucks a month for all the live shows (and aew library) and papes are only 20 bucks. It's super rad.

If Max deal goes through I'd love to watch without a VPN and support via HBO but if I gotta pay for papes and sub then I'll stick with VPN if it's still available.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Never had a problem with Roku’s BR app for purchasing, navigating within the show isn’t great (and won’t improve based on my recent experience with Max).

Takes me forever to find shows in the iOS app though.

Yeah, Max is a mess. You can't even reliably pause a show and have it start back up at the correct point. Not that you'd be doing a lot of that for a live ppv, but I don't have high hopes they'll be able to do reliable live streaming for awhile if they can't even manage to get their pause working.

Which has been a solved problem since, I dunno, the advent of recorded content.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Well, for starters you would think the event starting in 15 minutes would be somewhere on the home screen, but it’s not,

It is the first thing I see every time I open the app to buy a PPV.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

MJeff posted:

It is the first thing I see every time I open the app to buy a PPV.

I just went into the iOS app and and since it isn't on the homescreen, I searched for "AEW" to get to the "AEW PPV" section and I don't even see WrestleDream. I just see All Out, All Out in Spanish, All In, All In in Spanish, etc.

Of course "Wrestledream" wouldn't bring up anything, why would it?

I just found it by instead going to the "AEW News" page and scrolling down several posts. Good poo poo

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

1glitch0 posted:

Yeah, Max is a mess. You can't even reliably pause a show and have it start back up at the correct point. Not that you'd be doing a lot of that for a live ppv, but I don't have high hopes they'll be able to do reliable live streaming for awhile if they can't even manage to get their pause working.

Which has been a solved problem since, I dunno, the advent of recorded content.

I will say that this has only became a problem in the last month or so.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Ganso Bomb posted:

I really don’t want 12 PPVs a year but between actual PPVs and special episodes of Dynamite (like Grand Slam) they probably do a bunch of that level of show already. And if it ends up being on HBO Max, a service I already pay for, then I have no real room to complain about getting to watch more wrestling at no additional cost to what I’m already spending each month.

I'm fine with monthly special shows if I'm not paying ppv costs

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I wonder what the implementation would be for Canada. I'm not even sure it's possible to legally watch Collision here without paying 20/mo for that TSN app though, so I'm sure it'll be the dumbest thing possible.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MJeff posted:

Just a heads up, however the calendar shakes out, All In and All Out are still gonna be a week apart.

If only there were more than one bank holiday long weekend in the US and/or England each year

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Ganso Bomb posted:

If only there were more than one bank holiday long weekend in the US and/or England each year

sorry, it's tradition

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Collision Quarter-Hours:
(Reminder, rating was 476k/199k 0.15)

One quarter with 2 ads, QH5 had 2 PIP ads. It contained an FTR backstage promo, the Darby Allin/Luchasaurus/Christian Cage backstage angle during Darby Allin's entrance and the first part of Roderick Strong vs. Darby Allin.
No quarters with no ads this week.
4 full ad breaks, 5 PIP ads in total.

Peak of the show in P2+ was QH2 with 521k. It had the finish of Moxley vs. Andretti, a Roderick Strong and Kingdom video package, Kris Statlander vs. Roby Renegade and the post-match angle with Jade Cargill's return and the Saraya and Ruby Soho backstage promo.
Peak of the show in 18-49 was the 1 minute overrun with 222k (0.17), with the finish of Samoa Joe vs. Penta El Zero Miedo. Besides the overrun, the peak was QH6 with 214k (0.16). It contained the remained of Strong vs. Allin, the post-match with the Kingdom, Nick Wayne and AR Fox, a Powerhouse Hobbs video promo, a Keith Lee backstage promo, a Righteous backstage promo and the first part of the Bryan Danielson live promo.

Low point in both was QH1, with 424k/171k (.13). It contained the opening backstage promos and Moxley vs. Action Andretti.

First hour was super bouncy, starting really low, then going back up, it was mostly stable for the second hour. I dunno what to make of the big jump in QH2 or the smaller jump in QH5. The overrun basically being the highest thing on the show kind of suggests to me the main event had some juice. Either way, rating is a bounce back from last week. We'll see how Collision holds up against CFB going forward, I wanna get more weeks before I commit to this, but I'm starting to theorize that other sports is gonna affect Collision less than WWE PLEs will. Collisions two lowest ratings are going up against SummerSlam and Payback, so. We'll see as the weeks roll on.

Collision Rankings:
14th for the night. Again, if you want a silver lining, Collision was only behind sports, mostly CFB. With the US Open and Sportscenter getting in there too. Take that, On Patrol.

Collision Final Count:

AEW Collision
Sat Sep 9 at 6:00pm
Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse, Cleveland, OH

Tickets Distributed => Inconclusive. Last update before the map went through major changes: 3,188

Apparently the map changed a lot and made it difficult for WrestleTix to get a solid number on this one. They got a note saying the attendance was over 3,000. :shrug:

Last time in the area:
8/24/2022 => Dynamite => Wolstein Center, Cleveland, OH => 4,591

Upcoming Collisions:

(Updated one day ago)
AEW Collision
Sat • Sep 16 • 6:00 PM
Bryce Jordan Center, University Park, PA

Last Update Available Tickets => 1,781
Tickets Distributed => 2,426

Available Tickets Now => 1,091

Map is changing a lot on this one too, so WrestleTix has frozen the count for now. We'll see if and when they get another update. :shrug:

(updated posted today)
AEW Presents Collision
Sat • Sep 23 • 7:30 PM
Van Andel Arena, Grand Rapids, MI

Available Tickets => 1,203
Current Setup => 3,379
Tickets Distributed => 2,176 (count went down due to them adding seats)

Last time here:
8/5/22 => Rampage + Battle of the Belts III => 5,955

(updated posted 6 days ago)
AEW, All Elite Wrestling
Sat • Sep 30 • 4:30 PM
Climate Pledge Arena, Seattle, WA

Available Tickets => 3,044
Current Setup => 6,417
Tickets Distributed => 3,373

Last time here:
1/4/2023 => Dynamite => 9,121

Dynamite Quarter-Hours:
(Reminder, rating was 888/402k 0.31)

There was one quarter with no ads, QH4. It had the Chris Jericho/Sammy Guevara live promo and the MJF/Adam Cole video promo.
There was two quarters with double ads, both one full and one pip. QH3 and QH6. QH3 had the Hook/Orange Cassidy backstage promo, the Toni Storm/Britt Baker/Hikaru Shida/Nyla Rose 4-way and the Saraya backstage promo. QH6 had the post-match of Adam Page vs. Brian Cage with Swerve, Nana and the Young Bucks, the Daniel Garcia/Don Callis backstage promo and most of Darby Allin & Nick Wayne vs. Angelo Parker & Matt Menard.
4 full ad breaks, 5 PIP ads in total.

Peak of the show in P2+ was QH1 at 982k. It had Jon Moxley vs. Big Bill.
Peak of the show in 18-49 was QH2 at 429k (0.33). It had the post-match to Moxley vs. Big Bill with Ricky Starks, Bryan Danielson and Claudio Castagnoli, the Roderick Strong backstage promo, the Don Callis/Konosuke Takeshita live promo and the BCC backstage promo that also had Eddie Kingston.

Low point for both was QH7 at 810k/367k (0.28). It had the finish of Darby and Wayne vs. Parker and Menard, the post-match with Christian Cage and Luchasaurus and the first part of Roderick Strong vs. Samoa Joe.

Pretty standard flow for this week, started high, ended low. Two things I think are interesting is QH2 went up a bit in 18-49 despite having no wrestling in it, which is usually the opposite of how it works. So something in that quarter drew some people in. I don't have much of a guess if it was the post-match of the Moxley match or the Callis promo. The other interesting thing is that Jericho and Guevara's quarter hour did just okay despite having no ads, but the next quarter, Hangman vs. Cage, despite having an ad, enjoyed a pretty nice jump in the P2+, all the way up to 935k. Did go down a bit in 18-49 though. Once Page vs. Cage was over, the show dropped to its lowest three quarters in both categories, although there is a double ads quarter in there.

Dynamite Rankings:
Dynamite was 1st and it was 1st by a lot. The next closest programs, PTI and Real Housewives of the OC, came in at a .20 and a .19, and outside the top 10, you're looking at .13s and .12s. It is difficult to overstate how thoroughly AEW owns Wednesdays on cable right now. Good thing, too, 'cause this is the part of the post where the good news about Dynamite abruptly stops.

Dynamite Final Count:
All Elite Wrestling
Wed • Sep 13 • 7:30 PM
Heritage Bank Center, Cincinnati, OH

Tickets Distributed => 2,667

Gonna just quote WrestleTix directly, here. This is their words, not mine.

WrestleTix posted:

This attendance figure ended up surpassing only one other AEW TV event attendance for the year, which was Collision in Regina, SK (2,474). It secured the second-to-last position, just ahead of Rampage in Kingston, RI (2,743). No sugar coating it, this was a bad turnout. Many residents in the area reached out to me, noting that they only became aware of the event's presence the day before when AEW advertisements aired during nearly every commercial break of the Reds (baseball) game.

There's a lot of discussion to be had as to why AEW is cold as a ticket-selling product right now, but I can tell ya this for free: not advertising it ain't gonna make it any hotter.

Upcoming Dynamites:

AEW Dynamite / Rampage
Wed • Sep 20 • 7:30 PM
Arthur Ashe Stadium, Flushing, NY

Available Tickets => 4,698
Current Setup => 11,638
Tickets Distributed => 6,940

A BOGO offer (code: BTSNYC) went up in the past week and in the past couple days, a lot of sections have dropped from $150 to $30. That plus a Dynamite full card (with presumably some Rampage matches added tonight), we'll see how things move in the final few days, here.

I dunno, man. I'm always of two minds on the "fill the building by selling the tickets for cheap" vs. "sell the tickets for a lot, then lower them if you have to". thing. I tend to value higher gates over higher attendance numbers and we'll see what the gate for this ends up being, we'll see what the final number ends up being, if it surpasses last year's gate, then I guess they made the right decision, but I kinda feel like AEW misjudged how hot of a ticket they were on this one.

(updated 6 days ago)
AEW Presents Dynamite/Rampage
WED SEP 27, 2023 - 5:30 PM
1STBANK Center, Broomfield CO

Available Tickets => 1,967
Current Setup => 3,845
Tickets Distributed => 1,878

Last time here:
12/28/2022 => Dynamite => 4,229

(updated 6 days ago)
All Elite Wrestling
Wed • Oct 04 • 4:30 PM
Stockton Arena, Stockton, CA

Available Tickets => 973
Current Setup => 3,077
Tickets Distributed => 2,104

Upcoming PPV:

(updated 3 days ago)
AEW WrestleDream
Sun • Oct 01 • 4:00 PM
Climate Pledge Arena, Seattle, WA

Available Tickets => 2,769
Current Setup => 6,905
Tickets Distributed => 4,136

As of the update, there had been about 500 additional tickets sold since the Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr. match was added.

Last time here:
1/4/2023 => Dynamite => 9,121

(updated 3 days ago)
AEW Full Gear
Sat • Nov 18 • 4:00 PM
Kia Forum, Inglewood, CA

Available Tickets => 1,105
Available Combo Tickets => 412
Current Setup => 7,835
Tickets Distributed => 6,730

Last time here:
1/11/2023 => Dynamite => 9,636

Not sure what Full Gear already blowing past WrestleDream despite being a month and a half later says. But it's my post, so I'm just going to baselessly speculate anyway. Full Gear is an established AEW brand, and WrestleDream is the first PPV added to the schedule since 2020 that doesn't have some kind of unique hook to it. Forbidden Door is a crossover show that people had been wanting since the beginning of AEW, All In has ties to AEW's origins as an indie show AND it's the first show in England AND it's in a stadium, the importance of it just kind of took on a life of its own to force it to be a huge show. WrestleDream is just....hey! Here's more AEW! On PPV! You like AEW don't you? Well, here's more of it! Khan said it was an Antonio Inoki tribute show and he was hoping to get NJPW talent, but that has not bore out at all in the marketing, so it just feels like another AEW show. So it's kinda gonna have to stand on its own two feet. We'll see how it does as the card fills out, it's smartly put two of its biggest local stars, Swerve and Bryan, in pretty important singles matches right up front. You would think Darby gets an equally important match announced soon to try and continue juicing the local market.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 15, 2023

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

MJeff posted:

I dunno, man. I'm always of two minds on the "fill the building by selling the tickets for cheap" vs. "sell the tickets for a lot, then lower them if you have to". thing. I tend to value higher gates over higher attendance numbers and we'll see what the gate for this ends up being, we'll see what the final number ends up being, if it surpasses last year's gate, then I guess they made the right decision, but I kinda feel like AEW misjudged how hot of a ticket they were on this one.

It's a bit of a double edged sword - a million dollar gate looks poo poo on TV if half the building is empty.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

There are definitely ways you can shoot around that though.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

MJeff posted:

Not sure what Full Gear already blowing past WrestleDream despite being a month and a half later says. But it's my post, so I'm just going to baselessly speculate anyway. Full Gear is an established AEW brand, and WrestleDream is the first PPV added to the schedule since 2020 that doesn't have some kind of unique hook to it. Forbidden Door is a crossover show that people had been wanting since the beginning of AEW, All In has ties to AEW's origins as an indie show AND it's the first show in England AND it's in a stadium, the importance of it just kind of took on a life of its own to force it to be a huge show. WrestleDream is just....hey! Here's more AEW! On PPV! You like AEW don't you? Well, here's more of it! Khan said it was an Antonio Inoki tribute show and he was hoping to get NJPW talent, but that has not bore out at all in the marketing, so it just feels like another AEW show. So it's kinda gonna have to stand on its own two feet. We'll see how it does as the card fills out, it's smartly put two of its biggest local stars, Swerve and Bryan, in pretty important singles matches right up front. You would think Darby gets an equally important match announced soon to try and continue juicing the local market.

Also Los Angeles > Seattle?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Absolutely no evidence to support that cla--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3AmTfY6ppQ

:negative:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

I wonder what the implementation would be for Canada. I'm not even sure it's possible to legally watch Collision here without paying 20/mo for that TSN app though, so I'm sure it'll be the dumbest thing possible.

HBO Max content is on Crave up here but they'd probably have it on TSN+ cause we have to suffer

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SatoshiMiwa posted:

HBO Max content is on Crave up here but they'd probably have it on TSN+ cause we have to suffer

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I have Crave so that's the best option but to be Canadian means to be under the boot of the telcos in hilarious ways. Hopefully they at least retain FITE for the weekly shows.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

whatever the worst possible implementation is is what we will get in canada.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

MJeff posted:

To make my own baseless speculation, AEW used to do the former and recently switched to the latter, right? Because if I didn't just imagine that, this seems like a pretty expected result of that switch. People have to wait for the price to step down multiple times to reach where it was before so sales will inevitably look bad for a long time, some people are going to get scared off by the high initial price... That kind of price discrimination is literally Microeconomics 101, but implementing it the way AEW is here is going to lead to some bad-looking gates for a while.

(Also, insert any previous discussion of how ticket sales aren't the main source of income for wrestling companies of this size any more here. AEW setting its ticket price too high isn't going to be the end of the world.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lurks With Wolves posted:

To make my own baseless speculation, AEW used to do the former and recently switched to the latter, right? Because if I didn't just imagine that, this seems like a pretty expected result of that switch. People have to wait for the price to step down multiple times to reach where it was before so sales will inevitably look bad for a long time, some people are going to get scared off by the high initial price... That kind of price discrimination is literally Microeconomics 101, but implementing it the way AEW is here is going to lead to some bad-looking gates for a while.

(Also, insert any previous discussion of how ticket sales aren't the main source of income for wrestling companies of this size any more here. AEW setting its ticket price too high isn't going to be the end of the world.)

They have been raising ticket prices the last two years that's why their gates were so much higher in 2022 than 2021. Grand Slam 2022 had a higher gate than 2021 despite selling 6,000 less tickets.