Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, they really outmanoeuvred the US Navy by being sort of close to strategically unimportant islands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

LRADIKAL posted:

Oh yeah, they really outmanoeuvred the US Navy by being sort of close to strategically unimportant islands.

exercising their freedom of navigation is evidently outmaneuvering

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Gort posted:

What's it like guided?
depends on guidance type. GPS (excalibur) is a couple meters, laser (copperhead) you can prob pick which tooth you'd like to knock out of someone's mouth.
I'm really surprised we haven't seen more laser-designated arty in use. I guess copperheads don't grow on trees.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Many things that work in small fiberboard boxes for light objects seem totally sensible but are not at all sensible. Lashing arrangements that folks use in their day to day lives to say take an appliance home in a truck bed are often utterly inappropriate for the marine mode.

An example is over the top securing by friction loop. It’s fine for trucking and short seas shipping. It’s inadequate and totally inappropriate for ocean marine securing on flat racks.
No i mean failing the inspection for not actually lashing is sensible, my b.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 15, 2023

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

evil_bunnY posted:

depends on guidance type. GPS is prob a meter or so, laser you can prob pick which tooth you'd like to knock out of someone's mouth.

US developed lidar blocking technology, russia simply pulled all their teeth!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Has anyone heard or seen anything about Kadyrov? A bunch of accounts on Twitter are saying that Andrii Yusov (Ukrainian military intelligence spokesperson) said that his health suddenly deteriorated and he's fallen into a coma.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

BillsPhoenix posted:

The point of it is, the claims Russia is out if everything on verge of collapse seem to be BS if they're able to outmaneuver, even briefly, the US Navy in a completely different theater.

Similar to the Russian claim that NATO is out of artillery. Ukraine keeps on shooting and their line keeps on holding, clearly they have ammo.

I mean it's true that the Russian Navy was able to outmaneuver the US Navy in a completely different theater...

... because the Russian Navy was in a completely different theater than the US Navy and not actually anywhere American territory undetected. They were seen long before they got anywhere close to American territory and also did not get close to American territory.

EDIT: Beaten.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Surely alongside "the next six months are crucial" making Friedman a running joke in global events, if you want to imply someone is an utter idiot about current events, say they remind you of Mearsheimer.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

Has anyone heard or seen anything about Kadyrov? A bunch of accounts on Twitter are saying that Andrii Yusov (Ukrainian military intelligence spokesperson) said that his health suddenly deteriorated and he's fallen into a coma.

Yusov did say that Kadyrov is in critical condition, that part is undisputed. https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/09/15/7420017/

Whether it's true, who knows. So far, almost every instance of "Has anyone seen X? I heard he's dead / ill / whatever" has turned out to be false.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

beer_war posted:

Yusov did say that Kadyrov is in critical condition, that part is undisputed. https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/09/15/7420017/

Whether it's true, who knows. So far, almost every instance of "Has anyone seen X? I heard he's dead / ill / whatever" has turned out to be false.

I think we've heard this exact story about Kadyrov from Yusov himself before, too.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 15, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
We haven't seen Prigozhin lately... :ohdear:

(there's already about as many theories about him as of Amelia Earhurst and Elvis combined)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Just spitballing, but was Prigozhin ever considered a counterweight to the risk Kadryov could conceivably have posed to Putin?

If Wagner was a block to Kadryov ever "getting ideas", I could see Kadryov getting the ol' spicy spicy as Putin playing safe. But I am in the group of Kadryov-is-no-risk-because-he's-not-Russian types so I just don't think that's credible.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BillsPhoenix posted:

The point of it is, the claims Russia is out if everything on verge of collapse seem to be BS if they're able to outmaneuver, even briefly, the US Navy in a completely different theater.

Similar to the Russian claim that NATO is out of artillery. Ukraine keeps on shooting and their line keeps on holding, clearly they have ammo.

the Aleutian islands are so irrelevant and pointless that the united states let japan take them in WWII and never bothered retaking them because they were useless but it cost japan a ton to hold them

like it had to be kept a state secret how little the united states cared because otherwise japan might withdraw

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

My previous employer just started a partnership with the container lines to screen import hazardous cargo from overseas. It’s been a real horror show.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Rust Martialis posted:

Just spitballing, but was Prigozhin ever considered a counterweight to the risk Kadryov could conceivably have posed to Putin?

If Wagner was a block to Kadryov ever "getting ideas", I could see Kadryov getting the ol' spicy spicy as Putin playing safe. But I am in the group of Kadryov-is-no-risk-because-he's-not-Russian types so I just don't think that's credible.

Kadyrov can't have ideas because he's not Russian, and the machinery of state is racist enough that they would never support him. That is precisely why he is allowed the power he has, because he has no ability to make a play to be the top dog, it makes him a safe choice to use as an enforcer with a private army.

If both something is actually wrong with Kadyrov and this isn't all fake news, and that something isn't just "Kadyrov took too many weird drugs and burned out his last remaining brain cells", and Putin actually had him removed, my bet for the reason is that when Prig was doing his glory ride, the Tiktok squad was ordered to engage them and... didn't, instead pretending they were stuck in traffic for hours. That could be the kind of betrayal that Putin won't accept.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

evil_bunnY posted:

depends on guidance type. GPS (excalibur) is a couple meters, laser (copperhead) you can prob pick which tooth you'd like to knock out of someone's mouth.
I'm really surprised we haven't seen more laser-designated arty in use. I guess copperheads don't grow on trees.

Anecdotal but I've asked artillery guys about copperhead rounds a few times since 2015 and I don't think they're in use anymore. Even in Desert Storm the U.S. only fired about 70 of them. The fact the user had to be (relatively) close to laze the target made it not worth the bother over calling for fire traditionally until the advent of Excalibur rounds.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tuna-Fish posted:

Kadyrov can't have ideas because he's not Russian, and the machinery of state is racist enough that they would never support him. That is precisely why he is allowed the power he has, because he has no ability to make a play to be the top dog, it makes him a safe choice to use as an enforcer with a private army.

If both something is actually wrong with Kadyrov and this isn't all fake news, and that something isn't just "Kadyrov took too many weird drugs and burned out his last remaining brain cells", and Putin actually had him removed, my bet for the reason is that when Prig was doing his glory ride, the Tiktok squad was ordered to engage them and... didn't, instead pretending they were stuck in traffic for hours. That could be the kind of betrayal that Putin won't accept.

Also Ramzan is someone Vladimir has been able to count on so far to keep Chechnya calm. It seems unlikely that he would start rocking THAT boat in the middle of THIS war, because a renewed conflict in Chechnya wouldn't help at all. Without further evidence I'm not buying the story, it's like all those times that Putin went missing for a week and rumours started circulating.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Rust Martialis posted:

First of all, unlike Prigozhin, Kadyrov is a moron, like absolutely low iq failson monarch relying on his advisors to run things. Being a coward turned out to be more valuable than being smart in the end though.

Second, the agreed deal with Kadyrov is that he lords over every Chechen in Russia - that extends to things like kidnapping of women and gays that escaped Chechnya by his plainclothes police from Moscow. But thats it - his attempts to take a bite out of other Caucasus republics over the years have been shot down and Chechens dont have the best reputation there.

Third, the war has pretty clearly shown that Kadyrov's goons are thugs and not actual fighters. The days of Gelayev Spetsnaz are long gone. Akhmat batallion is mostly a clever scheme of filling regional recruitment quotas - they recruit volunteers from all over the country offering some bonus pay and then send those soldiers to the front as if they are recruited from Chechnya.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 15, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dirt5o8 posted:

The fact the user had to be (relatively) close to laze the target made it not worth the bother over calling for fire traditionally until the advent of Excalibur rounds.

Drones would be awfully useful for that, although they're already spotting for GPS guided munitions.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

evilweasel posted:

the Aleutian islands are so irrelevant and pointless that the united states let japan take them in WWII and never bothered retaking them because they were useless but it cost japan a ton to hold them

like it had to be kept a state secret how little the united states cared because otherwise japan might withdraw

I'm not sure what islands you're thinking of, but it sure wasn't the Aleutians. The US considered the islands highly important and drove the Japanese out. That campaign is most famous for when they failed to realize the Japanese had withdrawn from Kiska before the US landing and subsequently lost hundreds of troops to an enemy that wasn't even there.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

EasilyConfused posted:

I'm not sure what islands you're thinking of, but it sure wasn't the Aleutians. The US considered the islands highly important and drove the Japanese out. That campaign is most famous for when they failed to realize the Japanese had withdrawn from Kiska before the US landing and subsequently lost hundreds of troops to an enemy that wasn't even there.

The Battle of Attu was a pretty notable battle as well. That's what finally ended the occupation of the Aleutians. You're correct that the US took that very seriously, mostly because of the potential for the Japanese to use those islands as strategic bomber bases

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Attu

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Ukraine had their own domestically-built laser guided artillery rounds that have been reportedly pretty useful, though its not clear to me if they are still manufacturing them.

Drones definitely breathe new life into lasers.

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
But what if Russia aren't the bad guys? I'm just asking questions...

Rust Martialis posted:

You saw the review of the Moskva readiness report right? For the *flagship* of the Black Sea Fleet?

Yes. That's what I'm trying to say. The black sea fleet is Russia's oldest and worst ships.

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023

Nenonen posted:

AFAIK Russia and USA are not at war, so I fail to see how that is relevant?

I've been thinking about this lately. I agree with you, but realized I don't know where the line is.

The US largely doesn't declare war anymore, so you get claims that [x] conflict isn't a US war.

Right now the US is supplying arms, training, Intel, satellites, troops just outside the border and more. The US and Russia aren't at peace.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

BillsPhoenix posted:

I've been thinking about this lately. I agree with you, but realized I don't know where the line is.

The US largely doesn't declare war anymore, so you get claims that [x] conflict isn't a US war.

Right now the US is supplying arms, training, Intel, satellites, troops just outside the border and more. The US and Russia aren't at peace.

congrats youre almost all the way to reinventing the concept of a "cold war"

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BillsPhoenix posted:

The US and Russia are not fighting each other. Full Stop.

Supplying arms to a 3rd party is not and has never been considered active participation in hostilities.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Ukraine had their own domestically-built laser guided artillery rounds that have been reportedly pretty useful, though its not clear to me if they are still manufacturing them.

Drones definitely breathe new life into lasers.

Are there any drones that do laser spotting for precision rounds?

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023

Deteriorata posted:

The US and Russia are not fighting each other. Full Stop.

Supplying arms to a 3rd party is not and has never been considered active participation in hostilities.

100% agree. Having active supply lines, real time intel, volunteer fighters, and active duty deployed for supply chains is not just arms dealing.

And the cold war is a long history of the US and Russia fighting each other via proxy wars, even if not directly. Full war, no, but fighting? Absolutely.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Really not sure what your point is, other than "the US and Russia continued to be hostile to each other even after the end of the Cold War," which, yeah, we all know that. Maybe there was five years or so when it looked like history had ended but Putin's rise pretty much was the end of that.

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
The cold war is a literal, war.

If the Ukraine conflict is a continuation or restarting of the cold war, then the US and Russia are at war.

If we're short of that, what level of US involvement would mean the US and Russia are at war?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

BillsPhoenix posted:

If the Ukraine conflict is a continuation or restarting of the cold war, then the US and Russia are at war.

If we're short of that, what level of US involvement would mean the US and Russia are at war?

Americans and Russians shooting at each other without bothering with plausible deniability.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BillsPhoenix posted:

The "Ukraine conflict" is not a restarting of the cold war. It is an imperialistic invasion of a sovereign nation by Russia.

Most of Europe is also supporting Ukraine, but somehow that doesn't count in your estimation.

The US and Russia would be at war if their armed forces were directly conflicting somewhere in large numbers.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

BillsPhoenix posted:

:psyduck:

It literally was two sides maneuvering to check the other without engaging in open warfare.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

BillsPhoenix posted:

They’re, like, literally at war with each other!!

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

BillsPhoenix posted:

Openly shooting and killing each other directly.

I really don't understand your point, either way.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

Third, the war has pretty clearly shown that Kadyrov's goons are thugs and not actual fighters. The days of Gelayev Spetsnaz are long gone. Akhmat batallion is mostly a clever scheme of filling regional recruitment quotas - they recruit volunteers from all over the country offering some bonus pay and then send those soldiers to the front as if they are recruited from Chechnya.

Can you talk more about this? Being a casual observer of this thread, all I’ve heard about the Kadyrov guys is that they’re running around doing atrocities, I don’t seem to hear much about them actually fighting or how they do against the Ukrainian forces, casualties, etc.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

So are Canada and Iran at war rn?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

BillsPhoenix posted:

the cold war was literally not a war

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Dr.Radical posted:

Can you talk more about this? Being a casual observer of this thread, all I’ve heard about the Kadyrov guys is that they’re running around doing atrocities, I don’t seem to hear much about them actually fighting or how they do against the Ukrainian forces, casualties, etc.

They've been rightfully accused of staging videos for content ("tik tok battalion"). They always film videos of them "going into battle" but the usual Russian war commentators never seem to mention much of them in actual operations. They've been accused of conveniently showing up late due to "traffic jams." etc. It stinks of warlord accusations and bickering, but that's the game they play there. The atrocities accusations is because they show up as enforcers in occupied territory and terrorize civilians. They were a part of the Mariupol siege and "filtration" afterwards. The main guys are kitted out well and have fancy guns, but never truly get near the real action, despite their tiktoks to the contrary. It's like when Prig would get kitted out and film a video in Bakhmut.

I'm also not speaking from a position of particular authority on the subject or anything. So if any is more familiar, please correct.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

Surely alongside "the next six months are crucial" making Friedman a running joke in global events, if you want to imply someone is an utter idiot about current events, say they remind you of Mearsheimer.

Perfect. I mean countries wanting to survive and not be made victims of a near-peer war the next country over? How dare they! :greta: (intentionally not an emoji)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The brilliance of a cold war is that it is fought by proxy, in Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, etc.

But it is fought.