Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

ThinkTank posted:

One thing that's struck me while playing is there are I think no new features at all. It's effectively reskinned Fallout 4. The closest thing is ship design but that's about it.

Somehow made outposts even more useless than Fallout 4 settlements, while making them a bigger pain in the rear end to build.

The randomly generated POIs on planets is neat, but becomes boring and samey after awhile. Ship design is cool but buying one set of particle weapons trivialized ship combat unless I was trying to disable engines.

I like a lot of the ideas they had, but much like skyrim's "living cities" and "reactive civil war", its inch deep once you get into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Just posting to say Morrowind ftw

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Dang space game wants me to romance my followers.. Dangit I just want to scan cobalt and nickel for the billionth time!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Oh yeah speaking of romance, that lady at the start of the game that you can't dismiss for a bit the main story. I hated her, boring, interjects terrible dialog, and everything i wanted to do she disapproved of.

I went out of my way to pick the meanest rudest options with her and she still flirted with me and gave flirt options.

She died in my playthrough and I refuse to attend her funeral that is indefinitely "5 days away"

Vasco and Kaiser are the only companions I enjoyed. Probably because hehe robot go beepboop.

Oh yeah and companions suck. Get in the way, break stealth.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

verbal enema posted:

Remains the best Bethesda game, and the only one with any kind of imagination to it.

It's crazy how they continually make these stiff, shallow worlds after however many decades. Do they just run off anyone who has any personality or a sense of fun?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

Vasco and Kaiser are the only companions I enjoyed. Probably because hehe robot go beepboop.

Vasco said the "hi captain... I was attempting an informal greeting. I will not do so again" about six times so I booted him from my ship and never spoke to him again.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

MrQwerty posted:

Lol that's what breaks your immersion?

nothing will ever break my immersion into starfield 2023, baby

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

Vasco said the "hi captain... I was attempting an informal greeting. I will not do so again" about six times so I booted him from my ship and never spoke to him again.

i didnt know you could get rid of him. ive never seen him do anything useful, he'll sometimes shoot lasers at nearby enemies but he's not yet managed to actually hit anything that i've seen.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

also, if you think there might be a hint of mystery or potential adventure involved with the mysterious snake people, boy have I got news for you! there's nothing!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

verbal enema posted:

:hmmyes:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I grew up playing Oblivion so that one holds all my nostalgia. Some say Martin is still waiting to be found in Kvatch...

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i've been having some fun just boost packing around and shooting aliens dinosaurs and space punks, the engine has improved a lot for that kind of stuff. the ship building is also kinda cool.

but man, there is just so little that actually stands out in this game. the main story is garbage tier, the rationale for new game plus is dumb as hell and if you do it, it basically means you learned nothing from the story because nobody in their right mind should want to after seeing what a miserable failure it will turn your character into.

every companion quest is just doing therapy to help them get over a traumatic death, and then having the option to creepily hit on them after they reveal their trauma. almost every sidequest is a random fetch quest. the economy is hilariously broken and the only thing keeping it in check is that you have to walk to 20 merchants on 4 planets to actually sell all the guns you looted on the last mission because each one only has 5000 credits to buy with every 48 hours (about $100 judging by the fact that a can of soda from a vending machine costs 100 credits).

the few story quests where i've actually had to make a decision that mattered, i haven't cared much about or the choice has been so comically obvious (hmm, should i let the war criminal live??? hmm, should i let these clones get tortured forever for science??) that there was nothing to think over. bethesda needs to just blanket fire all of their writers at this point, they haven't done anything good since morrowind and they're never going to. that's really the biggest problem i think -- i don't care if a game is repetitive, has a busted economy, has a lovely UI, has janky weird faces, or whatever as long as the story is funny/entertaining/insightful and leaves some kind of lasting impression. starfield hasn't, and no amount of developer polish at this point will get it there.

i still put a good amount of hours into it, but in hindsight i wouldn't do it again.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It scratches the Bethesda itch while breaking no ground and taking no risks. The lack of actual space exploration is truly one of the most puzzling decisions ever. Why can't I fly from planet to planet in a solar system?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I look forward to seeing OP in 10 years agree with everyone else that Starfield is the best Bethesda game by a mile

WCG is known to tell tall tales

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

ThinkTank posted:

It scratches the Bethesda itch while breaking no ground and taking no risks. The lack of actual space exploration is truly one of the most puzzling decisions ever. Why can't I fly from planet to planet in a solar system?

We already have a game that tries to do that and everyone realized really fast that actually that poo poo sucks

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Toxic Mental posted:

I look forward to seeing OP in 10 years agree with everyone else that Starfield is the best Bethesda game by a mile

WCG is known to tell tall tales

The best Bethesda game was made by Obsidian and that is a forever opinion :colbert:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Remains the best Bethesda game, and the only one with any kind of imagination to it.

It's crazy how they continually make these stiff, shallow worlds after however many decades. Do they just run off anyone who has any personality or a sense of fun?

bethesda aspires to reach the same level of depth and creativity as a marvel movie... someday

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Jon Arbuckle: "Starfieeeeld!" :argh:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

new vegas is a pretty good roleplaying game and certainly better than the bethesda standard, but i suspect goons will always exaggerate its qualities because it remains the only major game with a zybourne clock reference and thus is the closest thing to zybourne clock being made in reality

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it can't be the only game with a zybourne clock reference. there's got to be some indie game out there somewhere that also references it. there's got to be.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea i said only major game. i dont know enough about the industry to know if new vegas is considered "aaa" or not since its a smaller game made by a smaller team but part of a bigger franchise, but in any case it remains the most prominent reference to zybourne clock in any kind of media

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The whole space aspect of the game is pointless.

The actual walking around and poo poo is also like loving pointless.

The star stations? They are like huge but encompass 5 rooms. They have no point. You kill everything get a treasure room and gently caress off. No over arching story. No "reoccupy the station", things. Nothing

I don't even build a base in space.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Remakes are a cop out when they're churned out constantly, but seriously how has Morrowind never gotten a remake with va and graphics.

Hell I'd settle for an oblivion remake.
Skywind and skyblivion fan project is in production for so long that skyrim engine remakes would be dogshit now.

Also a new vegas remake would be rad that game is awesome but clunky.

Bethesda should do that instead of new titles for a little bit.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Grey Cat posted:

Remakes are a cop out when they're churned out constantly, but seriously how has Morrowind never gotten a remake with va and graphics.

it's under development right now

https://tesrskywind.com/

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
suppose its better to just wait for modders to do everything again for free

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Earwicker posted:

it's under development right now

https://tesrskywind.com/

I acknowledged this. This poo poo has been in development for like a decade, skyrim engine already sucks. Id still play because upgrade but skyrim is pretty clunky already. Oops cant sprint and jump we didnt put an animation for that.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
enderal was pretty good

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you can't even gently caress an alien in starfield. mass effect had that poo poo 15+ years ago. i mean, c'mon

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Yeah what else, the combat is complete garbage. It's just constant bullet sponge I mean some of the enemies you hit with a headshot like 15 loving times before they actually take a point of damage. You can only have one companion at a time so you can't have like a cool crew based invasion. Docking with ships is complete bullshit. I mean you can stealth with ships but it's really pointless as it's not like you can stealthily dock with the ship which would be cool as gently caress.l

I just feel it feels like a completely underdeveloped game. I mean there's so many features that just are not present it feels like there's holes everywhere. I mean what the gently caress I can't get a small ship and dock with a larger ship and take that ship over stealthily come on man like are you loving serious?

All the combat basically devolves down to hitting another ship with an EMP and either blowing it up or taking it over. But once you take it over all of your cargo from the previous ship gets moved into it which ends up for the most part filling the entire ship up and you have to fly the ship that you just damaged and took over back to a port or some poo poo and usually they're full of contraband so you are very limited in terms of ports you can actually use. Once you get it into the port you have to then switch to your old ship to continue. So capturing ships is completely pointless as it basically spends a bunch of time to deliver the ship then get a new ship then go back etc etc. It feels like the entire game is a massive waste of time with no real feeling that you're actually accomplishing anything. I mean the dialogue options are subprimally boring at best and everyone acts like an ape with the stupidest intentions possible

No interaction whatsoever no player housing a other than a one-room infinite storage area. So you literally can't buy new houses the cities are like one Street.

Overall people are saying this thing would take hundreds of hours to complete but that's probably because it takes 100 hours to actually find anything useful to do. I feel like I've just been roaming around doing whatever the gently caress I feel like without any intent of doing the main story because I am chasing the perfect entertainment.

I felt like Skyrim actually had a lot of things to do and could be fun right away. I mean honestly I got bored at that after 30 or 40 hours and once I started hitting a hundred skill in a bunch of different things. With starfield there's no even achievement like that, your inventory is constantly full there's nothing to do because everything so far away and nobody's worth actually talking to. And I can't seem to kill anybody who is it an unnamed goon. Everyone that you try to kill who is a named NPC will just not die they'll lay on the floor and complain. So you can't eradicate a pirate faction, you just sit there and kill all of the unnamed pirates and then all the named ones just try to kill you constantly so it's loving pointless. You can't even kill vendors which is like really? They probably don't allow you to kill vendors because there's only 500 loving credits between all of them and if you kill one you'll never be able to sell everything in your inventory again

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Pajser posted:

enderal was pretty good

Skyrim modding is pretty crazy.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
i started to play Fallout New Vegas for the first time instead of buying Starfield and it's been pretty freaking cool

the graphics are really rough, but the core gameplay is solid

Oblivion was the only game on the 360 that I got every achievement for. I loved that game.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Is there a less useful skill in the history of man than the one that gives you 10kg more carry capacity?

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Pajser posted:

enderal was pretty good

Enderal is the best way to play Skyrim honestly. I was very impressed.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Philthy posted:

i started to play Fallout New Vegas for the first time instead of buying Starfield and it's been pretty freaking cool

the graphics are really rough, but the core gameplay is solid

Oblivion was the only game on the 360 that I got every achievement for. I loved that game.

There's some pretty ok graphic mods for new vegas. Nothing crazy like skyrim. Wish there was a mod that made the gunplay tighter but vegas is still enjoyable even as a vanilla experience.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Grey Cat posted:

There's some pretty ok graphic mods for new vegas. Nothing crazy like skyrim. Wish there was a mod that made the gunplay tighter but vegas is still enjoyable even as a vanilla experience.

Yeah, I installed the HD texture packs and those certainly helped, but without redoing the actual meshes, nothing is going to make it look any better than what it is. Which is fine, the story choices are holding up, and im having fun exploring. I like using the controller, but gunplay suffers a ton on controller, so I use VATS, which is pretty awesome anyway.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Philthy posted:

Yeah, I installed the HD texture packs and those certainly helped, but without redoing the actual meshes, nothing is going to make it look any better than what it is. Which is fine, the story choices are holding up, and im having fun exploring. I like using the controller, but gunplay suffers a ton on controller, so I use VATS, which is pretty awesome anyway.

it's the real fallout 3 and it's excellent

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Philthy posted:

Yeah, I installed the HD texture packs and those certainly helped, but without redoing the actual meshes, nothing is going to make it look any better than what it is. Which is fine, the story choices are holding up, and im having fun exploring.

It was the last bethesda game to have immersive and varied dialog options that mattered imo. Certainly wasn't skyrim.

I love that you can just spec a 1 intellegence idiot and bumble your way through the game

What's the password?
[Idiot]Uuuuhhh ice ream!
... beep boop correct shutting down security systems.

E: Luck too

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

pretty much every single one of you knew it was going to be anywhere from hot garbage to mediocre so serious question, why did you buy it? Assuming you bought it, of course.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

ThinkTank posted:

Is there a less useful skill in the history of man than the one that gives you 10kg more carry capacity?

in starfield, yes, there are quite a few skills less useful than carrying extra weight

off the top of my head, cooking is pointless, deception is pointless and doesn't work right, manipulation and instigation are pointless, most of the skills that result in more resource harvesting like botany are pointless since you can just buy that poo poo from vendors for peanuts. several of the weapon and ship weapon skills should never really be used unless you're really into RP because they suck. overall i'd say carrying extra weight is more useful than at least half of the other skill tree options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

pretty much every single one of you knew it was going to be anywhere from hot garbage to mediocre so serious question, why did you buy it? Assuming you bought it, of course.

Didn't buy it
:hehe:

But of course I wanted to check it out. So I could complain about it for internet points.