Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

15 hours in it's all the same poo poo and boring

I shoot like 5 people then it's back to endless fast traveling between dialogue hubs across the galaxy.

A ship is worth less than a briefcase full of xeno secrets or some poo poo and everything is absolutely loving boring. The characters are weak fish looking fuckers. The cities have horrible lighting and are overall weak and boring

The inventory weight system is so loving stupid I end up just rolling around over burdened 90% of the time I play because you get locked out of fast travel when full up on the junk you have to carry to actually make any loving money.

5,000 guns have a value of 5,000 credits basically

Hot loving garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

I'm gonna play some more tonight after only playing like 5 hours but, while I enjoy the setting and universe and all that, I do agree that the jumping form place to place really takes away a lot of the "exploration" part of Bethesda games, ironic for a game that is arguably all about exploration. Like half the fun of Skyrim is just wandering around and finding random poo poo. I'm not that far in though so maybe once I start exploring planets more it'll get better.

I don't really share you other complaints though, weigh limits are part of all the Bethesda games and forces you to make decisions about what is worth picking up and what isn't. Also, the cities look fine to me, Bethesda is never going to be bleeding edge graphics so I guess if that's what you're looking for, look elsewhere. Maybe you just don't like Bethesda games?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
The meaningful and engaging gameplay of doing cost/weight calculations to see if I should pick up [broken cog] or [burnt circuit board] before fast traveling back to the vendor

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I shoot like 5 people then it's back to endless fast traveling between dialogue hubs across the galaxy.

A ship is worth less than a briefcase full of xeno secrets or some poo poo and everything is absolutely loving boring. The characters are weak fish looking fuckers. The cities have horrible lighting and are overall weak and boring

The inventory weight system is so loving stupid I end up just rolling around over burdened 90% of the time I play because you get locked out of fast travel when full up on the junk you have to carry to actually make any loving money.

Hot loving garbage

Yup, sounds like a Bethesda game. I looked it up in the hype before release, saw who made it, closed tab.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
All I know is that it is basically 1st person no man's sky with theoretically infinite randomized planets and 99% of them are just empty deserts and also some people are Extremely loving Mad about the game having pronoun options and maybe not enough bugs of corpses violently vibrating through walls

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Yeah I thought about buying it and then realized I've got a poo poo load of unfinished games so I just decided to pick up No Man's Sky again

Plus Cyberpunk gets updated next week

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Also Starfield is 70 doll hairs instead of Baldur's Gate 3 which is 60 doll hairs sorry you spent more money on a bad game that is idiot poo poo for fuckers instead of spending less money on a better game OP

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Spore was better.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Strong "I hated every other CoD but this one will definitely be good and I'll like it" energy.

ElectricSheep posted:

Plus Cyberpunk gets updated next week

Keen for this tho. Cyberpunk and No Man's Sky have been great turnarounds.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i didnt need to play starfield or read a review to know what it would be

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Hot loving garbage

Star field is the first bethesda game I'm modding the gently caress out of before my first play though. 5000 KG carry weight turned on.

quote:

I shoot like 5 people

More like you shoot 27 people 8 times in the face with your most powerful weapon and they're still alive. You also don't really get a ton of options since you're pretty much a commando + a few character flavor options.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The game's on game pass :shrug:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

there are some aspects of the game i actually enjoy, here and there. but also yes the aesthetic and worldbuilding is very boring and shallow and also its a bit buggier even than the usual bethesda standard

like yesterday i did a simple quest to go rescue a space colonist from a cave and bring him back to his lovely frozen moon colony. so i did that but then when we get back to his base the dude just.. refuses to walk in. stops following me, mills around in circles for a while, tries heading towards the base and ends up in some weird little pattern where he's taking steps but not moving at all. bethesda!

but hey im playing for free via gamepass cloud streaming on an xbox that cant even run the game so im not going to complain too much

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYXzSL0z8MY

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ninjoatse.cx posted:

More like you shoot 27 people 8 times in the face with your most powerful weapon and they're still alive. You also don't really get a ton of options since you're pretty much a commando + a few character flavor options.

im a "ronin" which is a type of commando that gets mocked by random station guards for being a "sword guy" whether im actually carrying a sword or a gun or nothing at all

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
pixelated junk much OP?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Choose from 3 exciting enemies, spacers, pirates, and ecliptic zealots.
They're all just humans in a space suits populating random abandoned x, y, and z's.

Did you like skyrim with it's magic and races, well then you won't like starfield. Pick from one race, human. And instead of getting cool spells you get, just the shouts from skyrim with long recharge times and 90% of them suck

Main story blows and is ridiculously predictable with only one good mission storywise that's just a star trek episode two rikers Hope you stocked up on 200,000 bullets for it.

There's some fun and interesting side quests, most of which were more exciting and unique than the main story which is... well not great. You think the main path most people will take would at least be your big seller but it's just tropey.
Hope you like invisible walls in barren lands.

If you want an open world game where you can fly to any planet in real time that's just better. Play no man's sky. At least it's a mildly interesting experience these days. Or hell, Astroneer.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 15, 2023

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Grey Cat posted:

They're all just humans in a space suits populating random abandoned x, y, and z's.

Did you like skyrim with it's magic and races, well then you won't like starfield. Pick from one race, human. And instead of getting cool spells you get, just the shouts from skyrim with long recharge times and 90% of them suck

Main story blows and is ridiculously predictable with only one good mission storywise that's just a star trek episode [soiler]two rikers[/spoiler] Hope you stocked up on 200,000 bullets for it.

There's some fun and interesting side quests, most of which were more exciting and unique than the main story which is... well not great. You think the main path most people will take would at least be your big seller but it's just tropey.

[soiler]two rikers[/spoiler]

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

EorayMel posted:

[soiler]two rikers[/spoiler]

classic blunder

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

yeah, the infinite load screens are insane. the world feels empty and uninteresting. exploration feels significantly worse than previous bethesda games. the inhabited towns are miniscule and bland. ship combat is awful. there's effectively no mystery or discovery because everywhere you go you'll find one of like 6 preset buildings with one of 3 enemy types. no vaults, no sprawling dwemer ruins.

I found a derelict ship with intermittent gravity. It seemed like there would be some cool mystery involved or something to discover. Nope, just a bunch of enemies and big treasure chest at the end.

super disappointing.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Grey Cat posted:

there are a few other kinds of enemies. big spiders, big dinosaurs, flying stuff, little snakey things, and fat docile reptiles. they aren't any more interesting to fight than the humans tho.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Play through another classic star trek episode, "treasure collecting weirdo who has a private collection museum on a spaceship".

Earwicker posted:

there are a few other kinds of enemies. big spiders, big dinosaurs, flying stuff, little snakey things, and fat docile reptiles. they aren't any more interesting to fight than the humans tho.

Yeah I think that's a big part of the problem, there's other enemies but you're just going to stand on a short rock and shoot them anyways as they just take it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Buce posted:

I found a derelict ship with intermittent gravity. It seemed like there would be some cool mystery involved or something to discover. Nope, just a bunch of enemies and big treasure chest at the end.

i found a derelict ship that didn't even have enemies or a treasure chest. it was literally just a ship full of junk items, a handful of dead bodies, and a note explaining that they'd hosed up their life support system. that was it. i couldn't even take over the ship.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Grey Cat posted:

Play through another classic star trek episode, "treasure collecting weirdo who has a private collection museum on a spaceship".

Yeah I think that's a big part of the problem, there's other enemies but you're just going to stand on a short rock and shoot them anyways as they just take it.

there are even two such weirdos in the game. but they have different accents.

also, I've encountered at least 1 game breaking bug in every main faction quest and every main companion quest so far.

Buce fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 15, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I read Ecliptics as epileptics every time

Overall it's fine but yeah why did they cut the exploration aspect out of a game about exploring the galaxy?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

This also gives me an excuse to post a fun bug I've run into a couple times.
Some sort of invisible expanding object with collision that effects tons of environment stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6ycbVlh_T8

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Grey Cat posted:

This also gives me an excuse to post a fun bug I've run into a couple times.
Some sort of invisible expanding object with collision that effects tons of environment stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6ycbVlh_T8

get out of here stalker

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
love shooting dudes in the head and it does nothing cuz they got hitpoints instead of brains and skulls. s o much fun

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Earwicker posted:

Don't forget the xenoterrormorphs

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Roundup Ready posted:

Yup, sounds like a Bethesda game.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

on the scale of bethesda games its imo better than fallout 3. worse than most of the others.

it reminds me the most of oblivion in terms of the world being the most generic possible take on the genre, and the way npc's behave. but its much buggier and has a lot of annoying ui issues.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I gave up on anything Bethesda made after I got a bug in Fallout 4 that prevented me from continuing one of the main quest branches and the rest of the plot devolved into "go kill everyone in the other factions, rinse and repeat" so it's funny seeing the same complaints over and over again for Starfield because Bethesda never changes.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Starfield has some neat poo poo. Ship building is kinda fun, the outpost poo poo I sunk alot of time into (not sure how deep it gets though)

The combat itself feels okay but because the AI is so stupid it's not very challenging.
My first fight I was level one and cleared out an abandoned INSERT PLACE HERE that was filled with level 12 enemies.

Nothing is very memorable in the characters, setting, weapon, ship or object design (expect for the poutine in a can but I'm Canadian so :canada:)

I've still played way to much already and if I'd had paid the $90 Canadian fun bucks for this on steam I'd be upset. But junkpass stays winning.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

if you want literally every base system from No Man's Sky with all the Bethesda incompetence in game design and writing, with invisible walls, man have I got a game for you!

I've never played a game that has evoked less feelings on either side of the scale. At least Fallout 3 made me mad because they took one of my favorite settings and totally hosed it up.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
You shoot them in the head: "OW MY EYES I CANT SEE!"

They then proceed to just light you up with autofire anyway. Did you think your enemy being blind would in any way change how you engage with them? You fool

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

They made a big deal about putting the adoring fan in and then made it a completely humorless game otherwise which is kinda weird.

More than anything it feels like one of those games that will get good after the version with three expansion packs bundled in gets ported to the next generation of consoles. It's not bad per se but man is there a lot of empty nothing. They could've cut like five ideas around base building or ship customization and focused on having planets that were more engaging than an abandoned lot beside a strip mall.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I got the game on game pass for free
Had to buy a 6800 XT to play it and finally replace my Radeon 590.

So I'm out 400 + a future AM5 Mobo, AM5 Processor and a few stIcks of DDR5 to remove my 20% CPU bottleneck.

So literally set myself up to buy a new PC in its entirety for a game that feels heavily under developed.

The infinite random planets thing is garbage it's all pre set worlds etc. The quests are meh for the most part. The space combat is really really loving annoying as I mentioned you are poor for the entire game, most ship combat is like 3-5 enemies versus you solo. Enemies ravage your poo poo even if your in areas you should be in.

Stealing ships nets you less than a good weapon value wise because you have to register the shop for 80% of it's value then sell it. So you get 3K for a ship that's worth 120,000 if you bought it from a vendor.

All in all garbage game. Also the level of detail spend just lags the loving game out and km sure that's huge errors or clipping issues causing all the lag because what game engine can't render like 50 walking people.

Overall an annoying annoying experience.

I also got a free premium copy with said graphics card that I haven't even used because it's sole purpose is a free armor set and a free expansion (TBD).

AT LEAST I own the game so I can have fun with it in 3 or 4 years once the mod community makes it good enough.

Also there is so much clearly have developed poo poo. Like the ships having port holes and hatches for what was prolly a more advanced space combat aspect that is now just:

Ship loses 99% of hull integrity and is completely still air tight.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Bethesda has fully embraced that their job is to just make the same template of game over and over and let their gigantic and dedicated modding community do the legwork of wrangling it into something actually interesting.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Has anybody asked Derek Smart his hot takes on Starfield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

MrQwerty posted:

I've never played a game that has evoked less feelings on either side of the scale. At least Fallout 3 made me mad because they took one of my favorite settings and totally hosed it up.

solid take