Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

Now that we are talking of weapons. Are there rocket launchers? grenade launchers? I haven't seen any. The heaviest looking weapon I have is a typical minigun.

no rocket launchers, couple different grenade launchers that I know of (bridger, negotiator), and a big rivet driver thing that I guess uses heavy weapons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

RandolphCarter posted:

I just realized I took the wanted trait and haven’t had it come up at all.

Yeah same after 20 hours or so, except one lady on Mars who offered to remove it (I declined)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the problem with the 'hard sci-fi' excuse is that Starfield really doesn't feel like Hard Sci-Fi. They wave their hands at it occasionally but it has none of the actual weight or realism of hard sci-fi. Like The Expanse (at least the book, I haven't seen the series) puts forward the idea that it is tremendously easy for space travel to loving kill you and there are consequences for living in space and so-on. It's not Super Realistic but it puts a greater emphasis on the idea that this is a thing.

Starfield isn't that. It is more akin to Star Wars where you have dogfights in space, cowboys with laser pistols fight evil villains, and a select few people have incredible supernatural powers. And that is 100% fine, there's no harm in going for that, but lol at the idea that it's hard sci-fi.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Legs Benedict posted:

it’s fine to be disappointed but it’s also the equivalent of going to a restaurant that advertised a ribeye steak, ordering that steak, and then getting disappointed it wasn’t like beef wellington or something

its more like you've been going to the same restaurant since you were a teenager and the food has been getting less and less interesting and feels increasingly like it was just thrown together, and you still go and eat there sometimes out of a sense of combined notalgia and curiosity and sometimes to laugh at the owner's weird eccentricities but also at the same time its sad because fundamentally the food just isn't as good.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
I looked up the list of all the guns when I got bored
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxBx4m_oFLo

Yep, apparently there's a lightning gun that I missed, everything else is just generic "Space Call of Duty" slop. If you like it that's fine I guess, maybe I was just spoiled for choice after playing Borderlands, Mass Effect, Destiny, Warframe, Fallout New Vegas, Dead Space .

EDIT: I should clarify, the only reason I'm even complaining is because "astronaut gunman" really seems to be the only playstyle the game is driving you to. I really tried to play a melee guy in this and running around with a fire axe or a katana dressed in a full spacesuit is just cringe, sorry.
I can't be a full space wizard either since there's only like ..... 2 pure offense powers? And the game has given me 0 gear that upgrades that part of my build.

Sample_text fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 15, 2023

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Is "living quarters" the only 2x1 type of module that comes with a cooking station ?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/1702699045007884796?t=j5Y9CVAdWIigiJm8x-0RMQ&s=19

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I took Alien DNA, Terra something (more HP and Oxygen on planet and less in space) and Empathy. Empath has been fine, given me quite a few unique dialogues, alien DNA makes food basically useless which I'm not sure if it's good or bad. I didn't take any of the citizen or religion ones because why the hell would you ask me that at the beginning when I have no idea what univerium or united colonies mean?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Sample_text posted:

This game's arsenal was 100% made for the COD crowd, there's not a single fancy raygun , exotic alien gun or anything in it.
My starting mining beam is technically the most advanced weapon in the game. I think there's also some sort of sonic shotgun somewhere?

How the gently caress do you have less imaginative weapons in a futuristic sci fi than the post apocalyptic Fallout ?

They were 100% chasing the modern military shooter crowd with this .

Warframe and Destiny absolutely BURY this poo poo in terms of weapon variety.
Mass Effect 3 absolutely buries this game in terms of weapon variety.

I wish this lovely "space tacticool" aesthetic would just loving die already and we can have creative guns in our sci fi games again.

Lmfao

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

I think the problem with the 'hard sci-fi' excuse is that Starfield really doesn't feel like Hard Sci-Fi. They wave their hands at it occasionally but it has none of the actual weight or realism of hard sci-fi. Like The Expanse (at least the book, I haven't seen the series) puts forward the idea that it is tremendously easy for space travel to loving kill you and there are consequences for living in space and so-on. It's not Super Realistic but it puts a greater emphasis on the idea that this is a thing.

Starfield isn't that. It is more akin to Star Wars where you have dogfights in space, cowboys with laser pistols fight evil villains, and a select few people have incredible supernatural powers. And that is 100% fine, there's no harm in going for that, but lol at the idea that it's hard sci-fi.

If anyone is calling Starfield hard sci-fi, it's because they don't know what the term means.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I took Alien DNA, Terra something (more HP and Oxygen on planet and less in space) and Empathy. Empath has been fine, given me quite a few unique dialogues, alien DNA makes food basically useless which I'm not sure if it's good or bad. I didn't take any of the citizen or religion ones because why the hell would you ask me that at the beginning when I have no idea what univerium or united colonies mean?

Healing from food is 100% worthless no matter what. Maybe when they add the eat button so you can go around just shoveling everything into your mouth it might gain some value but mostly Alien DNA lacks any serious downside.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Martian posted:

Yeah same after 20 hours or so, except one lady on Mars who offered to remove it (I declined)

I've been stopped twice by bounty hunters after jumping into a system, trying to shake me down for 2000 credits. AFIAK, that is the extent of what the Wanted trait has done for me (aside from the bounty lady offering to remove it).

I was very disappointed over a missed opportunity with that npc, though. She was talking about needing help with a bounty, and you have the option to offer help. She tells you to climb some towers outside the Mars facility to plant a tracker so that she'll know when her target arrives. You can offer to kill the target yourself, but she insists that she needs to be the one that takes them down. Weirdly insistent, but ok.

So, as I'm walking outside of the facility and climbing whatever to get to the location to place the tracker, I got more and more disappointed that I wasn't being led into an ambush tied to my wanted trait. That would be the perfect trap, getting your target to "help" you take in a bounty by doing some bullshit task to get them in alone and in a dangerous spot (at the highest point on some scaffolding). But alas, I placed the tracker, and got my 8000 creds. Quest done. Didn't even get to see the bounty hunters capture the target that I helped with.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The 2000 credit shakedown is funny because it only costs 3000 to remove forever. Seems like getting rid of it should take more work

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sample_text posted:

I looked up the list of all the guns when I got bored
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxBx4m_oFLo

Yep, apparently there's a lightning gun that I missed, everything else is just generic "Space Call of Duty" slop. If you like it that's fine I guess, maybe I was just spoiled for choice after playing Borderlands, Mass Effect, Destiny, Warframe, Fallout New Vegas, Dead Space .

Add Red Faction Guerrilla to the list. People remember the destruction, but the weapon themselves were pretty cool and with a good variety.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Velocity Raptor posted:

I've been stopped twice by bounty hunters after jumping into a system, trying to shake me down for 2000 credits. AFIAK, that is the extent of what the Wanted trait has done for me (aside from the bounty lady offering to remove it).

I was very disappointed over a missed opportunity with that npc, though. She was talking about needing help with a bounty, and you have the option to offer help. She tells you to climb some towers outside the Mars facility to plant a tracker so that she'll know when her target arrives. You can offer to kill the target yourself, but she insists that she needs to be the one that takes them down. Weirdly insistent, but ok.

So, as I'm walking outside of the facility and climbing whatever to get to the location to place the tracker, I got more and more disappointed that I wasn't being led into an ambush tied to my wanted trait. That would be the perfect trap, getting your target to "help" you take in a bounty by doing some bullshit task to get them in alone and in a dangerous spot (at the highest point on some scaffolding). But alas, I placed the tracker, and got my 8000 creds. Quest done. Didn't even get to see the bounty hunters capture the target that I helped with.

I think it scales a bit with level. Early on I was getting extorted by bounty hunters, then you start getting jump events where bounty hunters attack you and bounty defenders are shooting them (bounty defenders are just different bounty hunters who want to keep you alive to kill you later when the bounty goes up - theres a note about it) . And then you start getting attacked outright by high level bounty hunters in the sky and on the ground when on random planets. Haven't seen anything in settlements though.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The doctor in Neon says 'Please state the nature of the medical emergency' when you talk to him occasionally, and it made me lol.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Azhais posted:

The 2000 credit shakedown is funny because it only costs 3000 to remove forever. Seems like getting rid of it should take more work

2000? I think I'm on 8000 right now. It might double for every hunter group you fend off.

But then again, you only see hunters outside of civilization.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

widespread posted:

There are Tonfas... or at least things labeled as Tonfa despite it being a wakizashi. Might have misremembered it though.

Check your local Trade Authority. Not sure if it has a home location but yeah.
The game levels loot with you, but leveling takes so long that you could give the game a fair shot having only just started seeing the second tier (eg, coachman -> pacifier, or maelstrom -> A-99).

Once you escape the first tier of weapons you pass out of simpler design toward things with a little bit more of a perspective or meta-design (design meant to call attention to itself). Even from the start I think you get plenty of what something like CP2077 goes for in its visual design — a lot of deliberate highlighting of the bells and whistles incorporated specifically into 3D printing and other cheap mass production methods irl, the way lovely products are made to seem intricate or bespoke. lovely “gamergear” aesthetics, LEDs, geometric/circuit filigree, heat sink blades, etc.

Anyway it was only when I leveled into the A-99 tier that I tried it out and saw that gun’s reload has a big garish heat-venting-from-the-barrel animation. That’s the kind of thing that ultimately sells me on FPS weapon design. All you have to do is make eloading feel kinetic and tactile. That’s literally all you have to do to please me.

But they hid that sort of thing in the first dozen hours of the game, and that’s just if you’ve specced into ballistics. Energy weapons are a step back from the Fallouts; with those games you had the sense that there was a more intentional trade off between less variety of models in exchange for less granular ammo tracking (to the extent that was ever a problem).

The comparative lack of energy weapon variety is really glaring in SF. It’s easy to understand why people were claiming early on that there were only two in the entire game. The progression is fantastically slow, something like: (lvl 1 Cutter -> lvl 5 Equinox/Solstice -> lvl 25 Orion/EM rifle/particle pistol -> lvl 30 particle shotgun).

It’s a similar drip feed for melee — by 60+ hours in the game I was only just seeing the House Faerun knife that seems like it’s probably some sort of Klingon reference. Ballistics gets more options than any other build, and it gets them faster.

But the ballistics progression is fun! In the 30s you get access to magnetic weapons aka “laser sight bonanza”, which are a fun Dead Space homage. Firing the minigun version is vaguely like one of those YouTube vids of ppl cutting sand sculptures with chef’s knives. Love to shoot squares in square formation out of a square, then reload my square with a smaller square

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

My main point is that Bethesda was pretty clear about what Starfield's setting and aesthetic were going to be, and nobody should have been surprised that they didn't veer too far from it when it comes to weapons, etc. The game is pretty clearly inspired by the various forms of sci-fi media where the (somewhat) realistic tech humanity uses starts to come up against almost supernatural alien forces. Whether or not they succeeded in that approach is purely up to the individual, I'm just saying it was pretty clear from what Bethesda showed off that they were not going to stray too far from their chosen design path.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't think hard sci-fi necessarily means no seemingly fantastical or unexplainable elements. If anything it means that the story is, in some sense, about science: an attempt to imagine how future technology would work through the lens of present-day scientific progress. Hence the name "science fiction". Soft sci-fi is more about the aesthetic of space with no real regard to the science behind it. The latter category should probably just be called "space fantasy" or something and leave sci-fi out of it, but on the other hand, there's no reason something can't be both "space fantasy" and "science fiction" at the same time. I think 2001: A Space Odyssey is considered hard sci-fi despite being about aliens shepherding humanity's technological development through magical space artifacts, because the setting is based on a real idea of what the space-faring future could have looked like in 2001 circa 1968.

I'm not saying Starfield is hard sci-fi (or what that even means for a video game, since so many of the distinctions between the two are things that are often abstracted away in video games anyway), but I would say it at least tends towards the sensibilities of hard sci-fi while still being squarely in the space fantasy category for the purposes of the game.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I’m really enjoying the pistols, although my Legendary Titanium Shotty is also a lot of fun.

Loading a magazine on the Rattler is super satisfying, and if anyone hasn’t fan fired a pistol with the Binary Trigger mod yet - holy poo poo go do it.

Keelhauler only has 6 bullets but over 1000 DPS. Elegance ignores armor completely.

Sumerian Telecom
Aug 27, 2022

nah the guns are cool. Grendel is a cool name for a cool gun. poo poo's rad.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
I've finished the main story as well as the Vanguard story and the Ryujin story.

Moment-to-moment gameplay is good, although very easy.

Generally, the stories and impressions range from uninteresting to utterly boring. Which I suppose is a big step up from Fallout 4's absolute idiocy

There were two missions with spectacle and effective atmosphere during the Vanguard campaign, but that was really it.

Coming from BG3, the complete absence of body language in dialogue is very jarring.

Similarly, BG3, and Cyberpunk 2077 for that matter, were boosted a lot by their soundtracks and how they fit to the games' action. I am honestly not sure if Starfield even has a soundtrack. I think maybe it reuses some soundbytes from Fallout 4?

I don't think I'll bother ryo play Starfield much more. Maybe boot it up once in a while if I want to game, but not use my brain too nuch.

Best Bethesda game since Skyrim. Still very mediocre.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Volte posted:

I don't think hard sci-fi necessarily means no seemingly fantastical or unexplainable elements. If anything it means that the story is, in some sense, about science: an attempt to imagine how future technology would work through the lens of present-day scientific progress. Hence the name "science fiction". Soft sci-fi is more about the aesthetic of space with no real regard to the science behind it. The latter category should probably just be called "space fantasy" or something and leave sci-fi out of it, but on the other hand, there's no reason something can't be both "space fantasy" and "science fiction" at the same time. I think 2001: A Space Odyssey is considered hard sci-fi despite being about aliens shepherding humanity's technological development through magical space artifacts, because the setting is based on a real idea of what the space-faring future could have looked like in 2001 circa 1968.

I'm not saying Starfield is hard sci-fi (or what that even means for a video game, since so many of the distinctions between the two are things that are often abstracted away in video games anyway), but I would say it at least tends towards the sensibilities of hard sci-fi while still being squarely in the space fantasy category for the purposes of the game.

2001 was exactly what I was thinking of as well. Kubrick made his depiction of space travel (and the tech used in space travel) as realistic as he possibly could for the time, but it's also a movie where a giant black rectangle causes mankind to evolve (twice), before unleashing a psychedelic freakout, and a man ultimately being reborn as a star baby. Starfield isn't anywhere remotely near 2001 in terms of quality or story or execution, of course, but I think that's the kind of vibe Bethesda were trying to go for (and again, it's up to the individual as to whether or not they succeeded in that).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sumerian Telecom posted:

the FN P90 is a cool gun I agree.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Sumerian Telecom posted:

it looks like a friggin warframe gun

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I love the kodama smg, especially with a tac stock, it looks like a tiny plastic gun perfect for tight spaces like habs and ships :blastu:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i love the way the tombstone looks (stock) but ive found it's pretty bad compared to other ballistic rifles at base at least

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I love the kodama smg, especially with a tac stock, it looks like a tiny plastic gun perfect for tight spaces like habs and ships :blastu:

Kodama does feel great and work great but lord does it eat ammo

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Love to shoot squares in square formation out of a square, then reload my square with a smaller square

*gestures lazily at the title again*

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Mr. Pool posted:

Kodama does feel great and work great but lord does it eat ammo

Oh yea lol but i have like 4k of that ammo type from obsessively picking it up whenever i see it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

had a mission where i was a crew member on someone else's ship, i actually wish there was more of this sort of thing in the game, or like at least a real time autopilot so i can futz around in my ship

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Do Turret and Ship Weapon Type X perks stack? Like if I have particle weapon turrets are they keeping bonuses both from Automated Weapon Systems and Particle Beam Systems?

Sumerian Telecom
Aug 27, 2022

poo poo's interesting and varied. 3d model tourism is why I play this game.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

lmao i failed a sneaking mission because a fuckin alien grub saw me

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I like how the explorer organization, is presented with not one, but multiple alien temples, and then you go there one time, do the thing, and no follow up or research is ever done. Nice temple anywaaaaay back to farting around while we just wonder outloud to each other about what these people could possibly be.

Like, if these are actual scientists I don't know how you get one to even leave the temple. Material analysis on the structure, ground penetrating radar in and around the structure, analysing the EM radiation in the temple space, looking around for other rooms or a power source or the projector equipment, digging around the structure to try and determine when it was built.... I'm just a dabbling wikisurfing goonlord and don't know how to actually do any of those things for real, and I wouldn't expect this to be part of the game really, but it is crazy one of the few truly interesting things depicted in the game is just "yeah cool whatever" and throws several more of them at you and nobody in game cares enough to arrange for a survey team for *checks notes* the biggest discovery since the gravdrive.

Eurogamer's review was titled "Starfield: A game about exploration with no exploration" and I feel that's accurate.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

2001 was exactly what I was thinking of as well. Kubrick made his depiction of space travel (and the tech used in space travel) as realistic as he possibly could for the time, but it's also a movie where a giant black rectangle causes mankind to evolve (twice), before unleashing a psychedelic freakout, and a man ultimately being reborn as a star baby. Starfield isn't anywhere remotely near 2001 in terms of quality or story or execution, of course, but I think that's the kind of vibe Bethesda were trying to go for (and again, it's up to the individual as to whether or not they succeeded in that).

:hmmyes: This tracks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Al! posted:

lmao i failed a sneaking mission because a fuckin alien grub saw me

Grubs and cleaning robits don't alert humans.

What does are your moron companions wandering through wherever when you're trying to sneak.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah just tell your companion to wait outside smh.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Powershift posted:

Grubs and cleaning robits don't alert humans.

What does are your moron companions wandering through wherever when you're trying to sneak.

In fact, you should use cleaning robits as distractions.

Can't fail your stealth if they think you're elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

If it was then the issue is they didn't do the first part. You are 100% right that hard sci-fi doesn't need to be free of strangeness (I'd argue it thrives on that to some degree) but that strangeness only really works when there is as much verisimilitude as possible in the rest of the setting. Starfield isn't really aiming for that in any way except the loosest elements. Some of this is that it is a video game of course. (And you can aim to try to make video games realistic but that limits the audience.) Yet some of it is just... that isn't this world.

And like I said that isn't an issue. Most people don't want to play a game where space travel isn't basically instant or your character gets cancer because they went out without solar shielding or where injuries take time to heal instead of being repaired instantly by magic kits or whatever. They want to play a fun space game where you travel around and colonize planets and have a jetpack. But I think it does mean it is fair to question why there aren't certain things and being met with 'well, it's hard sci-fi' doesn't really work when there's not really any hard sci-fi about the game.

Like with melee weapons you're already using a loving katana in space. There's no reason you can't have fun with it. If you've got a regular katana that never wears down and can cut through spacesuits then a lightsaber ain't exactly in another realm.