Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

CainFortea posted:

What's the 180 rule?
don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/180-degree_rule

Basically if you're gonna do a Shot/Reverse Shot scene, don't put the camera on the opposite side of an imaginary line between two characters that forms a 180° arc.

The scene cut from a shot of Perrin on the left side, to a shot of Perrin on the right side, and it was just incredibly visually off-putting.

Huh, I can't think of the scene you're referencing cause I didn't notice anything jarring. I can see how that kinda thing would be distracting to people who pay attention to that sorta thing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

nine-gear crow posted:

Only one I noticed was a shot of Perrin that cut to another shot of Perrin and broke the 180° Rule so it was jarring as poo poo, but otherwise no. It felt like they were trying to stich together the best parts of two different takes of the same scene and that was the best they could manage.

Lol I noticed this one too and was about to post it. I was like "what the gently caress lmao" when it happened

I didn't think it actually broke the 180 line, it was just from a different angle for no particular reason which felt really bizarre.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The Ishamael/Min dreamworld scene has spoiled us with its intentionally hosed up jump cuts, so now we're just noticing the accidental ones everywhere :v:

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Ok, now that this episode is out, I wanted to come back to this:

Open Source Idiom posted:

I dunno if I can comment here, because I read the first book maybe a decade ago? So perhaps my opinion isn't as unblemished as others.

I think Kate Fleetwood's loyalties are more ambiguous at this point tbh -- though they obviously want us to suspect her, she seems a little too complicated for it to be that straightforward. Also I just like the character and don't want to see her get murked.
Did anyone else think that Liandrin wasn’t a Darkfriend after last episode 4?

I think it was meant to be super obvious, what with her attacking Nynaeve, Egwene, and Elayne. Immediately followed by a scene in which Ishamael appears to Min and tells her that he can give her what Liandrin promised.

Was it a case of being too obvious (and hence suspicious)? The actor and character being just too likeable (in a weird way)? Just denial of a thing you feared would be true?

I didn’t want to ask before this episode, as it was something known 100% as a book-reader, and I didn’t want to confirm something that was still slightly ambiguous.

I thought it was funny that there was a hypothetical discussion about the Selene/Lanfear/Forsaken thing being missable/not communicated enough, when there was this other thing that was supposed to be just as obvious, but was actually missed by a good number of people.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 15, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DTurtle posted:

I think it was meant to be super obvious, what with her attacking Nynaeve, Egwene, and Elayne. Immediately followed by a scene in which Ishamael appears to Min and tells her that he can give her what Liandrin promised.

Was it a case of being too obvious (and hence suspicious)? The actor and character being just too likeable (in a weird way)? Just denial of a thing you feared would be true?

I didn’t want to ask before this episode, as it was something known 100% as a book-reader, and I didn’t want to confirm something that was still slightly ambiguous.

Speaking as someone who hasn't read all the books, but is book aware, I was legitimately curious what way they were going to go with Liandrin because it felt like there was an even split between "she's a Darkfriend and this is all just a con" and "they're taking a huge detour with her book role and she's just a really lovely good guy", and it seems they've settled on... both options being correct somehow? She's a lovely person who's still not 100% sold in the idea of being a Darkfriend and Nynaeve constantly needling her on how well her bullshit is working out for her is wreaking havoc with her character alignment. It's made her so much more fascinating to watch than if they'd just played her character as straight as it was in the books.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I love all the good dogs this season.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

drat, this show is getting really good! There's finally enough depth in the world and so many places and characters that it's beginning to feel like the Wheel of Time. That scene between Lanfear and Ishamael was just so much fun to watch, and shows why the Forsaken are some of the most entertaining villains in fiction.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JOHN SKELETON posted:

drat, this show is getting really good! There's finally enough depth in the world and so many places and characters that it's beginning to feel like the Wheel of Time. That scene between Lanfear and Ishamael was just so much fun to watch, and shows why the Forsaken are some of the most entertaining villains in fiction.

The "Of course I'll betray you" line was so perfect

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

The "Of course I'll betray you" line was so perfect

I love how it seems like Ish is worried that she'll say she will and then after his face lights up when she says it, you can tell he was worried she'd lie and say she wouldn't :allears:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

nine-gear crow posted:

Speaking as someone who hasn't read all the books, but is book aware, I was legitimately curious what way they were going to go with Liandrin because it felt like there was an even split between "she's a Darkfriend and this is all just a con" and "they're taking a huge detour with her book role and she's just a really lovely good guy", and it seems they've settled on... both options being correct somehow? She's a lovely person who's still not 100% sold in the idea of being a Darkfriend and Nynaeve constantly needling her on how well her bullshit is working out for her is wreaking havoc with her character alignment. It's made her so much more fascinating to watch than if they'd just played her character as straight as it was in the books.

Yeah Liandrin's awesome. I kinda hope she'll come back to the Light in the end :shobon:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

DTurtle posted:

I thought it was funny that there was a hypothetical discussion about the Selene/Lanfear/Forsaken thing being missable/not communicated enough, when there was this other thing that was supposed to be just as obvious, but was actually missed by a good number of people.

You'd have to remember that the Three Oaths forbid using the One Power as a weapon against anyone except the forces of Darkness and that the Three Oaths are a magical compulsion that cannot be disobeyed.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

nine-gear crow posted:

Now that it's revealed she's obviously a Darkfriend, I do like that her character isn't just comically evil and fully aligned to anyone else who's on the 'bad guy' side of the line. Like, yes she's a Darkfriend but she also clearly/openly loathes the Seanchan and what they do to channelers. And my take on her breaking Nynaeve's bonds specifically before she dipped is that Liandrin has a soft spot for her and doesn't really want her captive to the Seanchan (but also doesn't really give a poo poo about what happens to Egwene or Elayne), so definitely hoping we get more Nynaeve/Liandrin interaction in subsequent episodes/seasons.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

DTurtle posted:

The non-book-reading friend I watched episode 4 with was on the fence but leaning toward her trying to do the right thing in a lovely way, until this episode made it clear.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Rarity posted:

Yeah Liandrin's awesome. I kinda hope she'll come back to the Light in the end :shobon:

My non-book-reader wife has predicted that Lanfear will come back to the Light. We’re told that she only went dark because the previous Dragon rejected her, Rand doesn’t seem to mind the crazy too much, and she’s already told Ishamael she’ll betray him. That’d be a helluva coup for the side of Light if it happens, having the most dangerous of the forsaken back on your side.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I can't remember clearly enough what the whole web of causality looks like but when Verin asks Liandrin about Egwene and Nynaeve and she tells her that they had left the Tower earlier, did Verin already know that that wasn't true?

That whole scene felt pretty clearly like it was conveying "she's lying and Verin knows it, and therefore ..." but I couldn't remember if Verin actually knows that at that point. (in-show)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Data Graham posted:

I can't remember clearly enough what the whole web of causality looks like but when Verin asks Liandrin about Egwene and Nynaeve and she tells her that they had left the Tower earlier, did Verin already know that that wasn't true?

That whole scene felt pretty clearly like it was conveying "she's lying and Verin knows it, and therefore ..." but I couldn't remember if Verin actually knows that at that point. (in-show)

Verin knew that the stated reason why the girls left the tower in the Mistress of Novices's log book was a lie written under Compulsion that seemingly no one else was aware of, so Liandrian quoting the same reason word-for-word thinking she was pulling off the perfect alibi was all Verin needed to go "Hah! Gotcha bitch!"

Grundulum posted:

My non-book-reader wife has predicted that Lanfear will come back to the Light. We’re told that she only went dark because the previous Dragon rejected her, Rand doesn’t seem to mind the crazy too much, and she’s already told Ishamael she’ll betray him. That’d be a helluva coup for the side of Light if it happens, having the most dangerous of the forsaken back on your side.

Lanfear either defecting to the Light or simply going "gently caress this, I'm out" and just peacing on both sides are probably the best options for her character long-run. I could see Rand going "Look, I am sorry for whatever Lews Therin did you to, I really am" and trying to make it up to her somehow and it could actually turn her around. Because that seems to be all she's really after, is just the Dragon to tell her that she was right, the world domination thing feels like it's just the means to that end.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

I agree, they’ve done a masterful job of giving the Darkfriends we‘ve met interesting, realistic, complex reasons for doing so. Except for Padan Fain, we haven’t really seen a mustache twirling evil Darkfriend.

pseudorandom name posted:

You'd have to remember that the Three Oaths forbid using the One Power as a weapon against anyone except the forces of Darkness and that the Three Oaths are a magical compulsion that cannot be disobeyed.
I liked that they gave Nynaeve that line in the Ways this episode. A nice, organic way to remind viewers of this Oath.

xeria posted:

Now that it's revealed she's obviously a Darkfriend, I do like that her character isn't just comically evil and fully aligned to anyone else who's on the 'bad guy' side of the line. Like, yes she's a Darkfriend but she also clearly/openly loathes the Seanchan and what they do to channelers. And my take on her breaking Nynaeve's bonds specifically before she dipped is that Liandrin has a soft spot for her and doesn't really want her captive to the Seanchan (but also doesn't really give a poo poo about what happens to Egwene or Elayne), so definitely hoping we get more Nynaeve/Liandrin interaction in subsequent episodes/seasons.
I like the ambiguity about her reasons for releasing the three of them - does she have a soft spot for Nynaeve, or did she just want to gently caress with Suroth\the Seanchan while still following the orders given to her by Ishamael.

Also: Given that Egwene was presented as the most powerful Channeler in a long, long time, I wonder gow the Seanchan will react to Nynaeve.

Data Graham posted:

The order of events:
1. Verin returns to Tar Valon, presumably knowing about Egwene and Nynaeve existing from Moiraine.
2. Verin talks with the Brown Sisters.
3. Verin talks to Sheriam, the Mistress of Novices. Before this talk, she knows Egwene, Nynaeve, and Elayne are missing. During this talk she hears the official reasons.
4. Verin talks with the Brown Sister, suspecting foul play. They set out to find out all Aes Sedai who have just recently left the Tower.
5. Liandrin returns, is intercepted by Verin and has surprisingly good, convenient proof that she had nothing to do with the disappearances.

nine-gear crow posted:

Verin knew that the stated reason why the girls left the tower in the Mistress of Novices's log book was a lie written under Compulsion that seemingly no one else was aware of, so Liandrian quoting the same reason word-for-word thinking she was pulling off the perfect alibi was all Verin needed to go "Hah! Gotcha bitch!"
Liandrin didn’t quote the same reason. Verin told her the reason and Liandrin mentioned that she had heard that a caravan sounding suspiciously similar to that having been attacked.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 15, 2023

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I feel like that's totally a possibility for the character, except for the big caveat of like - The casual cruelty. Without that I could totally see her turning back to to the light, but I have a hard time picturing it in the same context of the woman who just sighed and snapped that rider's head off in a fraction of a seconds thought. I hope they explore that a lot, because it was pretty clear from that talk between Lanfear and Ishamael that she doesn't really give a poo poo about the rest of the Forsaken, she's out for herself.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Personally I hope Rand doesn't redeem Lanfear with the power of love and/or dick.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Colonel Cool posted:

the power of love and/or dick.

Ah yes, one of Huey Lewis’ lesser-known songs.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Colonel Cool posted:

Personally I hope Rand doesn't redeem Lanfear with the power of love and/or dick.

He already tried the power of his dick, and that just made her even more evil. So he'll probably redeem her with the power of friendship and apologies for what a dillhole her last boyfriend was, because her last boyfriend was also him... twice now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DTurtle posted:

I agree, they’ve done a masterful job of giving the Darkfriends we‘ve met interesting, realistic, complex reasons for doing so. Except for Padan Fain, we haven’t really seen a mustache twirling evil Darkfriend.

I hope they don't give Padan Fain ANY redeeming or complex characterization. I just want him to keep swaggering into scenes smiling and whistling, ruining peoples days, and then leaving with a spring in his step and clicking his heels in midair like he's a chimney sweep from Mary Poppins, because he loves being an evil bastard until he's torn apart by wolves or the whole rest of the cast all at once or something. I would like there to be a scene where even Ishamael is like "Dude, tone if the gently caress down already, you're creeping ME out." to him.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

nine-gear crow posted:

I hope they don't give Padan Fain ANY redeeming or complex characterization. I just want him to keep swaggering into scenes smiling and whistling, ruining peoples days, and then leaving with a spring in his step and clicking his heels in midair like he's a chimney sweep from Mary Poppins, because he loves being an evil bastard until he's torn apart by wolves or the whole rest of the cast all at once or something. I would like there to be a scene where even Ishamael is like "Dude, tone if the gently caress down already, you're creeping ME out." to him.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

This came up recently in reference to another property, Baldur's Gate 3.

When you have a cast of villains who are all villains who make sense, having that one who's just a total murder hobo for shits and giggles makes a lot of sense and is great.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CainFortea posted:

This came up recently in reference to another property, Baldur's Gate 3.

When you have a cast of villains who are all villains who make sense, having that one who's just a total murder hobo for shits and giggles makes a lot of sense and is great.

I've already had a non-reader friend say to me "Dude, watch Padan Fain just turn out to be The Dark One all along. Guy's just having a blast skulking about in the background of every scene laughing his rear end off watching all these losers try to stop him or do his bidding. That's probably it." :allears:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hahaha goddamn that is one way to end the loving episode.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

nine-gear crow posted:

Just have him give Aarons speech from Titus Andronicus, word for word.

"Lucius: Art thou not sorry for these heinous deeds?

Aaron: Ay, that I had not done a thousand more.
Even now I curse the day—and yet, I think,
Few come within the compass of my curse,—
Wherein I did not some notorious ill,
As kill a man, or else devise his death,
Ravish a maid, or plot the way to do it,
Accuse some innocent and forswear myself,
Set deadly enmity between two friends,
Make poor men's cattle break their necks;
Set fire on barns and hay-stacks in the night,
And bid the owners quench them with their tears.
Oft have I digg'd up dead men from their graves,
And set them upright at their dear friends' doors,
Even when their sorrows almost were forgot;
And on their skins, as on the bark of trees,
Have with my knife carved in Roman letters,
'Let not your sorrow die, though I am dead.'
Tut, I have done a thousand dreadful things
As willingly as one would kill a fly,
And nothing grieves me heartily indeed
But that I cannot do ten thousand more."

Moonlit Knight
Nov 26, 2018
I wonder what people who haven't read the books think is the deal of the ajahs that we've seen at least a little bit of.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Loel posted:

Just have him give Aarons speech from Titus Andronicus, word for word.

"Lucius: Art thou not sorry for these heinous deeds?

Aaron: Ay, that I had not done a thousand more.
Even now I curse the day—and yet, I think,
Few come within the compass of my curse,—
Wherein I did not some notorious ill,
As kill a man, or else devise his death,
Ravish a maid, or plot the way to do it,
Accuse some innocent and forswear myself,
Set deadly enmity between two friends,
Make poor men's cattle break their necks;
Set fire on barns and hay-stacks in the night,
And bid the owners quench them with their tears.
Oft have I digg'd up dead men from their graves,
And set them upright at their dear friends' doors,
Even when their sorrows almost were forgot;
And on their skins, as on the bark of trees,
Have with my knife carved in Roman letters,
'Let not your sorrow die, though I am dead.'
Tut, I have done a thousand dreadful things
As willingly as one would kill a fly,
And nothing grieves me heartily indeed
But that I cannot do ten thousand more."

If one good deed in all my life I did,
I do repent it from my very soul.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Moonlit Knight posted:

I wonder what people who haven't read the books think is the deal of the ajahs that we've seen at least a little bit of.

???

Liandrin specifically have a rundown of the Ajahs to Nynaeve earlier this season.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
How many episodes for this season? 8??

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gwaihir posted:

???

Liandrin specifically have a rundown of the Ajahs to Nynaeve earlier this season.

I think so far only the Grays and the Whites haven't been explained by the show, but for anyone in the thread who's struggling to keep things straight:

Green - Soldiers
Red - Cops
Blue - Spies
Brown - Librarians
Yellow - Healers
Gray - Diplomats
White - Philosophers
Black - Darkfriends

Moonlit Knight
Nov 26, 2018

Gwaihir posted:

???

I might be going senile.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

???

ALso they had one of those rad animated shorts last season about it.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Moonlit Knight posted:

I might be going senile.

Too much reading of Wheel of Time will do that to you. For all the non-readers, it isn’t too late to avoid Moonlit Knight’s fate.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Hollismason posted:

How many episodes for this season? 8??

Yes, 8 total episodes

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
this season is a lot better than the previous one so far, but the dialogue is so loving clunky. how many atrocious "when i was a little girl..." monologues have we had at this point? the cinematography is still really bad too – the camera circling the whitecloaks fight was clearly trying to be badass but it just looked laughable instead.

aviendha seems good, and it was cute seeing katie leung back at wizard school.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

nine-gear crow posted:

I think so far only the Grays and the Whites haven't been explained by the show, but for anyone in the thread who's struggling to keep things straight:

Green - Soldiers
Red - Cops
Blue - Spies
Brown - Librarians
Yellow - Healers
Gray - Diplomats
White - Philosophers
Black - Darkfriends

was really kind of a bad move for them to have a whole ajah especially for darkfriends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Phenotype posted:

was really kind of a bad move for them to have a whole ajah especially for darkfriends

OTOH you know an Aes Sedai dressed in black is a Darkfriend.