Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

thepopmonster posted:

What do you think is the best programming language to teach to children?

Ur gonna want 2 Bash when u C++ the Python in my adult diaper lol

Edit: easily the worst snipe in my 18 year post history I'm so sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

thepopmonster posted:

What do you think is the best programming language to teach to children?
RETVRN to teaching kids Logo, with the little robot turtles with pens and everything.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Ayndin posted:

“Hey baby, you can call me bogosort, because I’m non-terminating in the worst case.”

Yeah outside of maybe asking a couple of extra questions when small talking on a date that is not a route I’d go down chatting someone up, there are so many better topics to talk about. Though I guess if you’re dealing with one of those turbo workaholic programmers it’s good to see that flag get raised early?

Break the ice by talking about what you achieved on your last date, what you hope to achieve on this date, and any blockers.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"Let's start by examining the burndown chart from my last relationship..."

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

ilmucche posted:

Are you the clique from undergrads?

KAAAAAMIKAAAAAZE!!!!!!!!

Verdugo posted:

I prefer riskopoly. Risk, but when a combat comes up everyone plays a game of monopoly to determine who the winner is.

Even though I never tried it I always got a chuckle out of playing Risk and deciding every battle with a game of Stratego.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

limp_cheese posted:

KAAAAAMIKAAAAAZE!!!!!!!!

Even though I never tried it I always got a chuckle out of playing Risk and deciding every battle with a game of Stratego.

My friends and I talked about doing this for a while too - we called it "Marathon Risk" and had vague plans to dedicate an entire summer to it - but by the time that school year ended we'd all realized what a godawful unfun slog it would be and quietly dropped the idea in favor of more D&D.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Another good one, Ask Amy

quote:

Dear Amy: I was the disciplinarian while my children grew up. I freely admit that I crossed the line multiple times in disciplining my son, but I have apologized many times.

I try to help each of my children, especially in terms of financial assistance. My son is now 51 and lost his father (my husband) two years ago to covid. Then his wife was in a terrible auto accident. I took care of her for six months before they moved back to their house (which is adjacent to mine).

Three months later, she went into a coma and never came out of it. He called me to come while the paramedics worked on her. He asked me to take him to the hospital, where we spent several days before she passed. I helped him with his finances and paid his bills (with his money), and set up a system he could maintain.

He has a lot of anger issues. He mostly takes out his anger on me. He talks rudely to me, and only comes to my house when my daughter and son-in-law visit to help with projects around my property. He is only sweet to me if he wants something.

I don’t know what to do. I am 72 and I don’t want him to live with regrets when I am gone. My daughter says he can’t forgive me for events that occurred while I was raising him. Suggestions?

— A Mom in Crisis

Mom: It is possible that your “discipline” in childhood (which I assume includes physical punishment) might have actually broken your son’s spirit, consigning him to an adult life where he is both dependent on you and burdened by his rage toward you. This is a truly soul-injuring combination.

You freely admit that you “crossed the line multiple times” during your son’s childhood, but the apologies you offer are empty because he is already broken. Your husband (possibly his protector in childhood) has died. His wife recently died in a prolonged trauma.

He has been through hell, and because of your treatment of him during his childhood, he doesn't have access to a range of emotions — anger might be all he is able to feel, especially in relation to you.

It sounds as if you have been helpful when he and his family have been in crisis. These heroic measures are your way of being a good mother to him now, but you cannot go back and undo the damage to this wounded person.

You should protect yourself from his anger and only react positively when he behaves well toward you (he obviously knows how to do that). You and his sister should urge him to get professional therapeutic help for the many wounds he carries.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Ur gonna want 2 Bash when u C++ the Python in my adult diaper lol

Edit: easily the worst snipe in my 18 year post history I'm so sorry

:pervert:

And yeah unfortunately the answer for best language for kids is probably still Python. I work with Python every day and have a sort of Stockholm Syndrome relationship with it but it probably is the most intuitive in terms of syntax.

There's also that Scratch thing where they like put blocks together to create procedural code stuff and supposedly that's good too but I haven't messed with it much.

e: And that Amy post, big yikes at "events that occurred". That's like the "officer-involved shooting" of estranged parent talk.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They should learn Logo on Apple IIs like I did :corsair:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Just chiming into board game chat that the ultimate adult game is subjective Guess Who.

No objective questions - you can't ask if they're wearing a hat, or what color their eyes are.

What is your person's favorite book? What does your person regret most in life? What is the dream your person has that they will never tell anyone? What is the worst thing that happened to your person?

It seems like it shouldn't work, but it absolutely does.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

haveblue posted:

"Let's start by examining the burndown chart from my last relationship..."

Yeah, BDSM is cool, but have you heard about SCRUM?

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Batterypowered7 posted:

Yeah, BDSM is cool, but have you heard about SCRUM?

I'm concerned about the dangers of young people getting exposed to such perverse things as agile methodology.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

:pervert:

And yeah unfortunately the answer for best language for kids is probably still Python. I work with Python every day and have a sort of Stockholm Syndrome relationship with it but it probably is the most intuitive in terms of syntax.

There's also that Scratch thing where they like put blocks together to create procedural code stuff and supposedly that's good too but I haven't messed with it much

My dad made me practice basic when I showed the slightest interest in coding. It's ok for learning but python will actually land you jobs. It's similarly intuitive so you might as well start there.

Ruby/RoR is pretty cool though.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

How many story points is this scene?

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Partner asked to make our relationship open source, wants to close it now that my work friend has submitted a pull request. AITA?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
My experience of Monopoly is that it's just played during family gatherings and everyone sits around absentmindedly rolling the dice while chatting and eating snacks for about twenty minutes, before everyone collectively decides to go do something else. I have never seen the game actually get finished, nor have I seen anyone actually care about winning.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Paper Tiger posted:

Partner asked to make our relationship open source, wants to close it now that my work friend has submitted a pull request. AITA?

:lol:

But also flashbacks to the "I hosed my bf's brother because he wanted an open relationship aita"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

e: And that Amy post, big yikes at "events that occurred". That's like the "officer-involved shooting" of estranged parent talk.
I'm willing to give a milligram of slack to her for straight-up saying "I freely admit that I crossed the line multiple times in disciplining my son" instead of the usual elliptical passive-voiced "look, I'll admit I wasn't always the best parent to him growing up..." routine.

But otherwise, yeah, big yikes. Way to raise a seething, angry, broken shell of a man as your son, some real A+ parenting there mom.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

The Maroon Hawk posted:

If you’re driving drunk then yeah, you abso-loving-lutely deserve to miss out on a concert, no matter how once-in-a-lifetime it may be
Driving drunk is also potentially a once-in-a-lifetime event that results in missing out on a lot of stuff

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Title only for this one (a fairly typical boyfriend-never-bathes story):

AITAH for telling my (at the time) bf that his d*** smelled like soup?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

FMguru posted:

Title only for this one (a fairly typical boyfriend-never-bathes story):

AITAH for telling my (at the time) bf that his d*** smelled like soup?

Really depends on the kind of soup

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

nice obelisk idiot posted:

My cat is very possibly a face-eater cat. He was up for adoption as a window cat at the pet supply store, because the shelter was too stressful for him. When we got to the humane society to do the paperwork etc. they're like oh. that. cat. Do you know?

Turns out an old lady passed, eventually her dog as well, but the cat survived and was still kinda fat after like a month of being trapped in a house. They didn't get into details. yikes. Very sweet boy though

My apartment complex has drainage holes under the buildings, and something like 10-15 years ago they decided to cover them with grates. At the same time a neighbor's cat went missing and we managed to not make the connection until two weeks later when it got bored and started meowing at people. About ten of us there, no witnesses as to who got some tools to cut the grill off rather than wait for maintenance, the cat was perfectly fat and happy. We figure he wasn't the only critter who was inside when the grills went on.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kenshin posted:

Really depends on the kind of soup

quote:

Flash forward a few months into our relationship and I have my head in his lap at his friend’s house. He’s wearing jeans and underwear mind you, and all I could smell was broccoli cheddar soup. Something that no one was eating, nor had they eaten.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cullen Skink, more like cock and stink

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

And I really liked broccoli cheddar too, how could you do this to me :gonk:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I dunno, I mean, as far as soups go it coulda been way WAY worse...

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

And as far as dicks go, dairy is about the worst possible thing.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Cowslips Warren posted:

i think Monopoly and Sorry only exist to start fights.

And Monopoly's spinoff sci-fi game, Solarquest. My dad literally used to cheat against me and my sister when we were like 5 and 8 respectively, and he'd go nuclear when we called him out on it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

RocketMermaid posted:

And Monopoly's spinoff sci-fi game, Solarquest. My dad literally used to cheat against me and my sister when we were like 5 and 8 respectively, and he'd go nuclear when we called him out on it.

Oh wow, I'd completely forgotten about that, but I used to love it. I dunno whether or not it actually played well, but the sci-fi trappings really sold it for me.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh wow, I'd completely forgotten about that, but I used to love it. I dunno whether or not it actually played well, but the sci-fi trappings really sold it for me.

It was awesome, except for the gravity wells trapping you around the gas giants unless you rolled higher than a certain number. That poo poo was *brutal*.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

You should play him again and smoke him.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Just chiming into board game chat that the ultimate adult game is subjective Guess Who.

No objective questions - you can't ask if they're wearing a hat, or what color their eyes are.

What is your person's favorite book? What does your person regret most in life? What is the dream your person has that they will never tell anyone? What is the worst thing that happened to your person?

It seems like it shouldn't work, but it absolutely does.

It's really great, I love the videos where people are doing terrible comedy stereotypes like "does yours listen to Joe Rogan" "does yours never shut up about secret menu items at Starbucks" "is yours under investigation by HR for hitting on their coworker" "did yours go viral for calling the cops on a black man minding his own business"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Dad of the year here.

AITA for being firm with my teenage half sibling in Facebook DMs?

quote:

I (26f) have been estranged from my father since I was 17 when I moved several states away to be with my grandparents. This was a decision made by him after the death of my twin sister.

BG: Our mom died when we were 7 and dad picked us both up and moved us so we could start afresh. He started dating one of our teachers within weeks of our move and they married and had more kids. When my sister was 15 she was diagnosed with cancer and she died after two years of fighting to stay alive. The last time she went into the hospital she told the nurses she only wanted me, our dad or our grandparents to see her and she did not want to see our dad's wife or the other kids. When dad heard this he decided we would not go to see her. I argued against his decision. He said our half siblings wanted to be there and would always remember being denied the chance to say goodbye. I argued that the oldest two would remember at 8 and 7. But the others were four and younger and would not. I also said her final few days or weeks were about my sister and nobody else. He still refused and I told him I would never forgive him if he kept me from my sister, my real sister, the one I came into this world with and was supposed to have for my whole life at my side. He relented and I went every day until she died. My father said my actions meant I could not live there anymore or have contact with his family. He said he knew I didn't care and that I was going back with my grandparents.

That was the last time I saw or spoke to any of them.

I had a baby a few weeks ago. I named her after my sister's favorite flower. It seemed like a better way to honor my sister and give my daughter her own name. I posted about the story behind her name on Facebook and then my half sister who would be 16 now contacted me on some random account and said I should not be naming my daughter after "that girl" and did I not think about the fact it will alienate my daughter from her family because my sister is a painful memory for her and her family now. I sat on the DM for a few days and then I replied firmly that I did not care about their feelings and they would not be around my daughter. I said I have every right to honor my sister and to please stay away from my Facebook page, which we're not friends on anyway, if she is bothered.

I had to go private after this because I was inundated with messages from her and my half brother who said I was an rear end and cruel.

AITA?

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Paper Tiger posted:

Why did they call it hand jobs when they could have called it a pull request, smh

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Batterypowered7 posted:

My grandmother in Spain loves Parcheesi. She'll curse at the dice if she doesn't like the rolls and sometimes even throws them over the balcony (she's up on the seventh floor). It's a good time.

'sup fellow Spanish grandma haver! Mine and her friend (both otherwise very polite ladies in their 80s) do have several sets of die to be used for the purpose of Parcheesi, and will swap between them as the game demands they roll higher or lower. She got onto online playing with family on pandemic times and she'll freely roast them like a CoD teen if they don't play optimally. Again, really polite old lady otherwise.

Parcheesi is SrsBsness.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Coca Koala posted:

Why did they call it hand jobs when they could have called it a pull request, smh

"Hand job" is so formal, I prefer "dick favor".

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Shellception posted:

'sup fellow Spanish grandma haver! Mine and her friend (both otherwise very polite ladies in their 80s) do have several sets of die to be used for the purpose of Parcheesi, and will swap between them as the game demands they roll higher or lower. She got onto online playing with family on pandemic times and she'll freely roast them like a CoD teen if they don't play optimally. Again, really polite old lady otherwise.

Parcheesi is SrsBsness.

Grandma used to play in tournaments in her old neighborhood a couple decades ago. She's 90 now and most (all?) of her friends have died and she's become very ornery with age, so now she only plays with my uncle when he goes over on Saturdays. I love making suboptimal plays on purpose to get her all riled up whenever I do get a chance to visit.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Coca Koala posted:

I would've thought it would be a blowjob because you are pushing to head.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

Grandma used to play in tournaments in her old neighborhood a couple decades ago. She's 90 now and most (all?) of her friends have died and she's become very ornery with age, so now she only plays with my uncle when he goes over on Saturdays. I love making suboptimal plays on purpose to get her all riled up whenever I do get a chance to visit.

I love you playing with your Uncle and Grandma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

redshirt posted:

I love you playing with your Uncle and Grandma.

Mind you, we live an ocean apart, but when I do visit, the games are a daily occurrence. We also play a version of Uno with two decks of Spanish playing cards and something my grandmother calls "The Rabbi", which is basically just Gin Rummy.