Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

emSparkly posted:

Zoomer here. Are they like mail chutes or something?

Payphone booths, without the payphones. Looks like a hotel or office building lobby.

The only place around here I've seen payphones in the past five years has been in the airport terminal, after the security checkpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah all the banks around here had theirs torn out years ago. Now they just have ATMs that accept cash deposits. Meaning I have to go inside if I want a roll of quarters or something. I can't remember if you could get a roll of quarters through pneumatic tube.

About 10 years ago I went into a bank with a $10 and asked for a roll of quarters. They asked me for ID and said they couldn't make change for me unless I had an account there. The guy at 7-11 had no such compunction.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Imagine if you had an account at 7-11 though, where you could just buy gum and monster energy drinks and get billed at the end of the month.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Kwyndig posted:

Imagine if you had an account at 7-11 though, where you could just buy gum and monster energy drinks and get billed at the end of the month.

Feels like they have something like that in Japan they do everything at 711

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Kwyndig posted:

Wasabi the J posted:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Last Chance posted:

"Crank yanking me" ??

????? Talk about obsolete/old

That's a wicked old /r/relationships thread submission, like the Ketchup Theater one.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Kazinsal posted:

Payphone booths, without the payphones. Looks like a hotel or office building lobby.

The only place around here I've seen payphones in the past five years has been in the airport terminal, after the security checkpoint.

The "hastily made Cleveland tourism" video is almost 15 years old now, and contains the line "who the gently caress still uses a payphone?"

Link for those who haven't seen it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

The safehouse in Milwaukee has a pneumatic tube that starts and ends behind the bar. When you order a spytini they put the shaker into the tube and it shoots around the whole restaurant and comes back so it's shaken and not stirred.

They also have a now very conspicuous secret exit that consists of you walking into a phone booth, dialing a number and a secret door at the back of the booth opens and let's you exit via a passage to the alley.

There is a bunch of other neat stuff I won't give away and it was franchised to Chicago a few years back but I have never tried that one.

It's worth a trip if you like weird cold war/James bond inspired bars.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Hot idea: Needle exchange via tube

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

my turn in the barrel posted:

The safehouse in Milwaukee has a pneumatic tube that starts and ends behind the bar. When you order a spytini they put the shaker into the tube and it shoots around the whole restaurant and comes back so it's shaken and not stirred.

They also have a now very conspicuous secret exit that consists of you walking into a phone booth, dialing a number and a secret door at the back of the booth opens and let's you exit via a passage to the alley.

There is a bunch of other neat stuff I won't give away and it was franchised to Chicago a few years back but I have never tried that one.

I looked this place up and they're so dedicated to the bit that their sign outside is just a plaque that says "International Exports Ltd."

I think I need to visit Milwaukee.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Yes the entry is a nondescript door leading to an office. The operative/hostess there will ensure you have proper security clearances and open a secret entrance to get into the bar.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

my turn in the barrel posted:

The Chicago one was apparently closed as of March this year :(

drat. I was going to propose going there with some friends when I visit them in a few months.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Last Chance posted:

Hot idea: Needle exchange via tube

Whoops, lid wasn't on tight enough :classiclol:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ishikabibble posted:

The Chicago one was apparently closed as of March this year :(

drat. I was going to propose going there with some friends when I visit them in a few months.

I hope your SO doesn't read SA, otherwise you just pulled one of these: https://soundcloud.com/mark-music-payne/jv-and-the-accidental-proposal

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kazinsal posted:

There's still pay phones in public buildings in my city. There's a lot in the courthouse for reasons which are pretty easy to work out.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

emSparkly posted:

Zoomer here. Are they like mail chutes or something?

Urinals.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's still pay phones in public buildings in my city. There's a lot in the courthouse for reasons which are pretty easy to work out.

People with quarters commit a lot of crimes?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
A roll of quarters is a great legal alternative to a "paperweight" :eng101:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Schir posted:

I wouldn't decry the loss of landlines yet but I would absolutely say that it's a shame that pneumatic tube systems aren't as prevalent as they used to be.

Multi-storey department stores sometimes have pneumatic tubes for receiving change. (As I learned when I bought a 55€ coffee maker with a 500€ bill.)

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 09:36 on Sep 14, 2023

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Yeah I forgot the bank is straight up 7-11 there. My ATM card wouldn't work for withdrawal for some reason but it worked as a purchase card lol

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

My (25F) boyfriend (25M) keeps asking me to invest in his "soup tube" business idea, and I am not sure how to deal with it
nsfw

I have been living with my boyfriend for about 7 months. Two weeks ago he sat me down and presented a powerpoint presentation with his business idea. I knew he'd been working on an idea, but he didn't want to tell me about it until it was finished. Based on his enthusiasm and his prior seemingly intelligent nature, I thought maybe it'd be a pretty cool idea.

Instead he presented to me an idea about "soup tubes". The idea, if you can call it that, is to construct a series of tubes throughout our city that leads to centralized soup kitchens. For a monthly subscription, a customer can "subscribe to a tube of soup", and a tube extension would be built off the nearest mainline tube and directly into the customer apartment or home. Based on subscription level, that would determine the quantity of soup a customer could pour and how many types of soup. The "tubes" are basically the size of pipes, like you might see under a sink, but he insisted that "it MUST be called soup tube, not soup pipe, tube just zings better."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. At first I asked if he was crank yanking me or something, but he was completely sincere. Obviously, the idea is completely insane. The notion that the city would authorize somebody to construct a series of tubes everywhere that carry soup into homes is of course ludicrous. And even if such an initiative were approved, the costs for such an operation would be ridiculous. You would have to charge outrageous prices for customers to install and "subscribe" to a soup tube, and who would pay for such a service when canned soup costs like a dollar or two? Or you can buy soup from a restaurant for a few dollars? I explained these things as politely as I could but he dismissed them and all said that "tube based soup delivery is the wave of the future."

He then asked me how much I wanted to invest, and I told him nothing, and he looked absolutely heartbroken. Since then, almost every day he has asked again for me to invest, and keeps trying to sell me on the idea. He is also doing the same thing to a lot of his friends.

It is starting to drive me up the wall. First, I am at a loss as to how he can believe such a stupid idea is worthwhile, second it is really god damned annoying to be asked on a daily basis to invest in a system of soup tubes, and third I am also concerned for his sanity. Other than his apparent obsession with this though he has shown no other signs.

I would like some advice as to how I can reason with him, or whether I should even continue this relationship.

TL:DR - My boyfriend wants me to invest in a business venture wherein tubes would deliver soup.
source your quotes

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Desert Bus posted:

TL:DR - My boyfriend wants me to invest in a business venture wherein tubes would deliver soup.

https://idlewords.com/2007/04/the_alameda_weehawken_burrito_tunnel.htm

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah I forgot the bank is straight up 7-11 there. My ATM card wouldn't work for withdrawal for some reason but it worked as a purchase card lol

The obsolete-tech angle is that even up through the '90s, ATM cards worked at your bank and nowhere else except maybe a region's credit unions would step in and spot each other or something, and then later started to form groups that cards would work across. They didn't become a payment card until banks went from being staid, solid places that keep money in a pile to financial speculators wanting to get a cut of MC/Visa's vig for transactions and late fees, a move which ultimately kinda failed in that it was Visa that built the overarching network PLUS that succeeded the most, though NYCE stays somewhat relevant--and ATM fees are a product of the transition where the network charged the bank and therefore the bank charged you.

Japanese banks had their own network coordinated by the post office, and in any case were heavily invested into their own wire transfer system for mail-order and later online purchases and such, so most never bothered to hook up to the American systems and deal with all the fees you'd expect from being the small fish in a big pond. 7-Eleven in particular, which was already internationalized, did, to ensure heavy traffic from the tourist and expat markets who already did disproportionate spending at convenience stores.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Here in Norway we were earlier adopters of ATMs and debit cards and all that. A trend which has continued as we are now almost to a cashless society with mobile pay apps and such. I don't think I've actually used cash to pay for anything since before Covid. I suppose it's easier to get stuff implemented in a small country where the banking sector is dominated at most three significant actors (basically these days if DNB decides to do something one way, everyone else either uses their solution or has to implement their own right away that has to do all the same stuff at least as well).

Like, by 1990 or so when I was in high school, it was normal for people in their late teens to have debit cards, which worked in all ATMs across all banks, and most grocery stores and gas stations and such had debit card terminals. (However back then the debit transactions weren't immediately reported to the main bank; if you had a couple of hundred in your account and no money coming in until next month, you could run around town and withdraw the same amount from every ATM belonging to a different bank, so you ended up with enough cash on hand to survive for a month -- when updates were transmitted during the next working day, your account would be horribly overdrawn and there would be overdraft fees to deal with, but that was a problem for future you.)

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Groke posted:

(However back then the debit transactions weren't immediately reported to the main bank; if you had a couple of hundred in your account and no money coming in until next month, you could run around town and withdraw the same amount from every ATM belonging to a different bank, so you ended up with enough cash on hand to survive for a month)
I usually did this at 16 for a 500 to go to tobacco and beers some fridays, which is the most I could handle being lost from next month's payout :/ Good times.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
A mild to moderate dealer was busted in Sweden because they used mobile pay for coke and the public broadcaster here released the transactions, encouraging viewers to see if they know anyone on the list. This has caused some chaos in Sundsvall, as some were buying coke and some were like, Swishing for drinks or something genuinely innocuous.

Some have lost their jobs over it, which I think is genuinely kind of hosed, independent of drugs. I also find it super irresponsible of SVT to release that information, even if it is legal to do so, but this is in a long line of “is there a gas leak at SVT? This is hosed up” maneuvers the past year.

Keep in mind Sweden is one of the countries where you can get in legal trouble for having drugs in your system. While coke typically leaves you fairly quickly, sure, something like this may potentially still screw people over.

Sweden is cashless except for drugs (due to the above) and in my personal case, tattoos (gently caress da taxmanskattman). I just got a tattoo today and now I get to deal with the 500kr in my wallet, and I’m about to go out with friends tonight. I’m going to use it at the supermarket tomorrow which is like the one place I can think of where I can, outside of the odd corner store maybe.

Nonetheless, while I like having a cashless economy for the most part, I feel super uneasy having cash now!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

teen witch posted:

even if it is legal to do so

Well it goes directly against the EU GDPR, of course.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well it goes directly against the EU GDPR, of course.
If you’re asking SVT to abide by any sort of “law” or “journalistic ethic”, lol, lmao

between this and the absolute :wtf: that is Transkriget, I’ve never lost my faintest threads of confidence in a media entity this rapidly.

But I mean if the government openly and loudly plan to go against the UNs Convention on the Rights of the Child in the most inhumane way possible, it’s fine if the taxpayer funded media entity to also break a few laws!

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Wasabi the J posted:

711’s parent company is actually a bank and operates as such in Japan but not here for whatever reason. If i pull cash in jp I always go to the i7 holdings ATMs and they never surprise me with BS. Also their 711s are way nicer.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've only ever been in a 7-11 in China. Thanks for reading.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I thought that Europe and the Scandinavian countries in particular were paradises where everything runs properly and there is no evil capitalism, or corporations or whatever the gently caress.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

I thought that Europe and the Scandinavian countries in particular were paradises where everything runs properly and there is no evil capitalism, or corporations or whatever the gently caress.

I'm posting from a short break from the debate circle on the communal vegan farm; fortunately this wooden passive house has the spare power to charge a phone today. No idea what those other people are talking about.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

hyperventilating every time I think about the $50 in my wallet, jeez, what if somebody thought I was a drug dealer or something flashing around a wad of CRIME TICKETS that way

edit: i mean if i pissed off the government, i'd still be able to just, like, spend that money... pretty hosed up imo

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I am 100% a weirdo paranoid about being tracked for anything and I will happily grab a giant wad of cash to pay for anything I can.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

teen witch posted:

Some have lost their jobs over it, which I think is genuinely kind of hosed, independent of drugs. I also find it super irresponsible of SVT to release that information, even if it is legal to do so, but this is in a long line of “is there a gas leak at SVT? This is hosed up” maneuvers the past year.

American newspapers used to print the home address of anyone they quoted in an article. Journalists don't give a poo poo what happens to anyone as long as they get a story to put out.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
In Canada we got a national interbank network in the mid 80s. Debit cards for point of sale doing transactions over dial-up became common by 1990 and overtook cash transactions about 15 years later, at which time chip+PIN was pretty thoroughly rolled out.

I remember being told when I was a kid that buying things with your debit card wasn't something people really did in the States and it seemed baffling. Then I learned about how absolutely hyperfucked banking is there.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
People do use debit cards to buy things in the US, but it's a bad idea unless you can use it as a credit card. Otherwise you get no protections. We didn't get chips until a few years ago, so if someone swiped your debit info with a skimmer, you were screwed.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

Then I learned about how absolutely hyperfucked banking is there.

Everything is hyperfucked in the US :colbert:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Wibla posted:

Everything is hyperfucked in the US :colbert:

We have a thriving incel community actually but otherwise yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Well thriving isnt the word but