Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

She doesn't count!

How does a literal magical catgirl not count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I demand a veritable cavalcade of hatgirls starting in 4.2, drat it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Helical Nightmares posted:

How does a literal magical catgirl not count?

Because she's only 4 star, free, and she sucks

I want a new 5 girl!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lynette is a pretty good character tbh she just unfortunately exists in the same game as sucrose and kazuha

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

I want a new 5 girl!

Fair.

I want the Electro girl with the gun

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
think the archon is in 4.2 or 4.3?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Archon in 4.2 is the safest bet around. It matches Nahida. Hopefully this means 4.3 is Arlecchino but who knows, whoever decides the banner schedules only wants to hurt me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I still don't understand that commission system change. So you do basic exploration gameplay like opening chests and picking up statue upgrades and if you do enough then you can just cash that in instead of doing your dailies?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Given Scara Arlecchino is probably pretty late in the cycle

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

I still don't understand that commission system change. So you do basic exploration gameplay like opening chests and picking up statue upgrades and if you do enough then you can just cash that in instead of doing your dailies?

Certain activities give points. These include various tasks like picking up local specialties, defeating enemies, defeating enemies with certain elements, etc. These also include the commissions. When you get the points, you can cash in. If you just want to keep doing commissions, you can. The amount of rewards haven't changed, it just means you can get your daily reward without having to do the same quests over and over.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Endorph posted:

Given Scara Arlecchino is probably pretty late in the cycle
Scaramouche also had to be reborn as Totally Not Scaramouche Anymore before he was playable, which took a couple more chapters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Incoherence posted:

Scaramouche also had to be reborn as Totally Not Scaramouche Anymore before he was playable, which took a couple more chapters.
sure but i assume it will still be a similar thing of her being both a weekly boss and a playable character, thats been the case for both tartag and scara.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Meiteron posted:

Hoyo has always struck me as a company that's pretty cold-blooded about the very concept of extra generosity in their titles. Other gachas will definitely pick specific points in the year and throw the crowds some extra food to get them excited and engaged. Octopath's mobile game, for example, recently celebrated their 1st anniversary and they let you straight up pick a 5-star equivalent character from the list for free; Granblue Fantasy turns their anniversary, summer, and xmas seasons into month-long banquets of largesse and free stuff. So on, so forth.

Imagine if Hoyo did something like letting you pick a single 5-star from the standard banner for their anniversary. Wouldn't move account progression that much anymore, but it'd certainly be well-received and be a good way to get a spike in new adopters.

But Hoyo doesn't do any of that. Hoyo knows they have a huge captive audience already and that they can just... not do anything that extra, and it won't matter, so they don't bother. It's kind of baffling to me in the same way their near-complete disinterest in throwing new character outfits into the shop is baffling, like leaving free engagement or money on the table.

That said, I am not the one in charge of a company making more money than God on three active titles alone so who am I to judge their decision making process.

Talking about hoyo and ignoring their other games, including Honkai Impact 3rd which funded genshin and does that

Kale
May 14, 2010

Meiteron posted:

Hoyo has always struck me as a company that's pretty cold-blooded about the very concept of extra generosity in their titles. Other gachas will definitely pick specific points in the year and throw the crowds some extra food to get them excited and engaged. Octopath's mobile game, for example, recently celebrated their 1st anniversary and they let you straight up pick a 5-star equivalent character from the list for free; Granblue Fantasy turns their anniversary, summer, and xmas seasons into month-long banquets of largesse and free stuff. So on, so forth.

Imagine if Hoyo did something like letting you pick a single 5-star from the standard banner for their anniversary. Wouldn't move account progression that much anymore, but it'd certainly be well-received and be a good way to get a spike in new adopters.

But Hoyo doesn't do any of that. Hoyo knows they have a huge captive audience already and that they can just... not do anything that extra, and it won't matter, so they don't bother. It's kind of baffling to me in the same way their near-complete disinterest in throwing new character outfits into the shop is baffling, like leaving free engagement or money on the table.

That said, I am not the one in charge of a company making more money than God on three active titles alone so who am I to judge their decision making process.

I feel like that's the only way I'm ever getting Mona at this point is if i just get to choose her.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Kale posted:

I feel like that's the only way I'm ever getting Mona at this point is if i just get to choose her.

Honestly surprised they never did the "after 300 standard wishes choose a 5-star standard character" thing for Genshin that they did for HSR. Tons of people could use that to get some characters they've been missing for years now.

Although I suspect the day I finally pull Diluc or Keqing is the day the dam breaks and that's all I pull for a while

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

as far as i am concerned diluc is the true qiqi

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

UHD posted:

I call him "Disappointment Diluc" and mark him in black on my tracking spreadsheet

Kale
May 14, 2010

UHD posted:

I've got like 4 Dilucs, 3 Qiqis, 3 Jeans, 2 Keqings, 2 Dehya's, 1 Tighnari and 0 Mona's of the standard banner characters so far.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

C1 Keqing (Good I love her and use her all the time, she's one of my favorite chars in the game)
C1 Diluc (I mean at least he's 80, but I don't really use him.)
C2 Mona (she's at level 20, I want to level her but it's hard for me to think of a team where she's better than just using Kokomi)
C2 Qiqi (I keep saying I want to level her for memes but :effort:)
C0 Tighnari (If I ever get Yae which I want to but banner situation never works, I will level him)
0 Jeans who I actually want, and 0 Dehya's who I would cry over her kit with.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

(Battlepass and Welkin player) I have:

C3 Qiqi
C3 Diluc
C2 Mona
C1 Jean
C1 Mona
And a C0 Tighnari but I dunno if that counts. I got him off his banner when he first released.

Fingers crossed on getting a Dehya this time, I've got 134 rolls now, and I'm just waiting to see if the new ice guy is or isn't supposed to be on the standard banner now.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
https://twitter.com/c9979y400e/status/1702598139147084087

rio
Mar 20, 2008

c3 Keqing, c2 Mona, c2 Qiqi, c0 Diluc and Jean

Keqing was my first lost 50/50 (on the first Childe banner) and since then I’ve worked at cracking her out as much as possible. If I lose a 50/50 I want it to be her since I’d like c6. Mona sees some use, Jean I’ve used quite a lot - first at lower levels as a healer but later for Sunfire comp which is still nice sometimes. Qiqi I left at lvl 20 and never use her along with Diluc who ironically I wanted back at launch and didn’t get til 2 years later and now he’s probably the last choice of who I want from a standard 5 star.

One of my first “breaks” (or rather “I quit” moments) was trying to get an electro goblet for Keqing. I started farming around December 2020 and about 4 months and thousands of resin spent later I had still never got even one on any set. It was a crazy string of bad luck and I was forced to run physical Keqing for a long time. Kind of a love hare relationship with Genshin that started back then.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I would legit tell friends to give Genshin a go if it weren't for the current artifact system.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

RareAcumen posted:

Fingers crossed on getting a Dehya this time, I've got 134 rolls now, and I'm just waiting to see if the new ice guy is or isn't supposed to be on the standard banner now.
The new ice guy - Wriothesley - is not on standard, they would have told us during today's livestream if he was.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the secret is 4* artifacts with good substats and 5* artifacts with bad substats are basically the same, but for some reason people will throw out hundreds of the former in pursuit of the latter.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Keeping track of 5* stuff is already a chore tbh.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Keqing is easily my best geared character. I'm really happy, because I love her, but my only other really great gear is anemo goblets for some loving reason.

Really want PJC to come back around so I can upgrade her sword.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Excelzior posted:

I demand a veritable cavalcade of hatgirls starting in 4.2, drat it.
Can't tell if that's a typo, but fortunately for you if not, every confirmed playable Fontaine female character so far has a hat. Navia? Hat. Clorinde? Hat? Charlotte? Hat. Furina? Oh yes, she's got a very silly hat. I would say Lynette doesn't but she in fact does, she just doesn't wear it much. I think Sigewinne or whoever has a nurse cap, that's technically also a hat. Assuming we see Furina/Navia/Clorinde in some rough order in the next 4-5 patches, and at least Charlotte as a 4* on one banner, that's as close to a veritable cavalcade as it gets. Hat lovers may rest easy.

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.

Note Block posted:

I would legit tell friends to give Genshin a go if it weren't for the current artifact system.

I’m not sure what the absolute best artifacts are needed for, I generally do enough to get a set bonus and then don’t go back

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hyperbloom kind of changes the artifact calculus. While it sucks farming for the full em set, once you have it, you're substat agnostic and perform as good as any other hyperbloom set. And that's only one the final trigger, everyone elses gear is just gravy.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
I believe, in the 4.2 -> 4.5 hatgirl parade

MAybe a break in 4.4 for glasses girl. But other than that, it's happening

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ardlen posted:

The new ice guy - Wriothesley - is not on standard, they would have told us during today's livestream if he was.

Okay then. Keqing, Tighnari and Dehya all had event banners when they released and then they went on Standard Banner afterwards so that was my assumption was.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
I wonder if glasses girl will assuage the growing emptiness in my heart, of getting zero (0) Jeans in 3 years. Maybe.

Jean C-1, Diluc C1, Mona C3, Qiqi C2, Keqing C0, Tighnari C0, Dehya C1

Watch me lose 50/50 to Jean on glasses girl banner lol

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Note Block posted:

Same, except also the incredibly verbose storytelling where you wade through a ton of junk food before getting to the real meal.

Since I stop and start playing a lot, I wanted to catch up a bit before Fontaine since I was behind on Sumeru main story content. There were some parts I really liked - I enjoyed the samsara part (perhaps more than any other story), and once it got to the end of the Sumeru arc I liked that a lot. But there is just so much filler with npcs I don’t connect with, dialogue choices from a protagonist I don’t care about most of the time, no skip button, and some playable characters that pop in and out and don’t feel relevant enough.

Like I won’t type out the spoilers but the part with Doctore and Nahida talking about their secrets, they referenced something I haven’t heard about since the first loving event when Scara said it in 2020! It was one of the most interesting unknowns in the story to me since it relates to what Teyvat is. Why do they put off interesting story lore this long? People say Genshin writers get paid by the word and it sounds plausible. Or else they are just really aggressive with engagement metrics, stringing players along as long as they possibly can.

Theres stuff like that woman who had Sumeru AIDS, and meanwhile Collei is also sick but just disappears from the story. Why not have her fill that role in the story instead of the npc? Certainly players would connect more with a playable character and on top of that one who was in the graphic novel well before Sumeru and her being playable.

HI3 has its problems with wordiness too but amid all of the technobabble at least they are building a story mainly around characters I care about, who reoccur and don’t just disappear and that makes me want to read it all. Which reminds me, I hate that I can’t even skim the text in genshin because they want me to watch Aether do the “hand over heart” emote for the hundredth time while they read the text to me and the text won’t advance until all model animations are finished.

Anyway sorry for all that (and I’m sure I could say more but won’t); I really can’t think off a game that I have liked so much but also really hated at the same time - I wouldn’t keep coming back to the game if it didn’t have it’s good parts but man it can really grind my gears, and I don’t want to recommend it knowing I’m subjecting others to it.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

Okay then. Keqing, Tighnari and Dehya all had event banners when they released and then they went on Standard Banner afterwards so that was my assumption was.

keqing was always standard banner

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

UHD posted:

keqing was always standard banner

No she wasn't?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
She was always on standard. The banner was an experiment in whether standard characters could have their own banners. The experiment clearly did not do so well, but the later "This character is brand new but will be going to standard after" experiments must have done better.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

iirc keqing was the banner character because hu tao was delayed. but she has been in the game since launch.

e:

UHD fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 16, 2023

rio
Mar 20, 2008

UHD posted:

iirc keqing was the banner character because hu tao was delayed. but she has been in the game since launch.

The speculation was that Hu Tao’s release would have been bad luck or in poor taste since she was focused on death and the release wouldn’t be appropriate for the then current Chinese holiday (I forget which it was). So they had to scramble to have some banner up and ended up going with Keqing. But yeah Keqing was standard since the start - I got her before that banner for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

I want a new 5 girl!
After 4.1, I think all the remaining Fontaine characters are girls. I don't know why they frontloaded all the dudes. Does their market research show that people who like dudes have a short engagement span and only play at the start of an expansion? Who knows. Hoyo works in mysterious ways.