Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Eric the Mauve posted:

Well to be fair salary "negotiations" are still a joke for club jobs, every offer is strictly take-it-or-leave-it and they won't bend at all.

Not true! They'll happily give you less money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Occasionally they'll give you one click more than the opening offer!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Masonity posted:

Occasionally they'll give you one click more than the opening offer!

I have never, ever seen that happen, not on money or years anyway. I think I've negotiated them down from 35% relegation wage drop to 30% a couple times. Which is LOL since if you get relegated you'll be sacked anyway.

And of course it's pointless anyway since your salary doesn't actually affect anything at all in any way.

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

i’ve managed to negotiate a higher salary a few times. if you have a very good rep and you go to a team that has a smaller rep or if you’re a club legend you can usually get them to go one click higher but yeah, never managed anything more than that

edit: i also think your salary supposedly affects how much the players listen to you, like if your wage is higher than the player’s they’re less likely to get pissed off etc. no idea how much of an effect this really has or if it’s even really a thing though

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm 99% certain that isn't true and your salary has no effect on the players at all. Your reputation relative to theirs definitely does, and of course your salary will tend to track with that.

It also supposedly makes the board more hesitant to sack you if they still owe you a lot of money, but once again there is really no such effect.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

I've never seen this one before:

Apparently there's a hidden "extra longevity" PPM and newgens can randomly pick it up? Or something? Something isn't quite working as intended there. It's already 2036 in this save so I definitely won't be finding out if he actually plays until he's 40.

Quoting myself from last year to follow up: he retired at 37 like everyone does. Apparently that hidden PPM either does nothing, or it just means he won't retire at 28 when his skill level dips down another tier.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I started a new save after I got my Celtic Nations database "Tested" (I got a team to Europe and it didn't break, although I was playing it along the way instead of just fixing it.) My new save is with AFC Telford in the Bananarama Regional. We were predicted to come 17th out first season, we came third and I won the playoff. Promoted to the Bananarama National and I'm not quite sure how I've improved my team but it seems I have. The attributes, etc. are a headfuck at this level. Guys who I thought were much higher are astonishgly low and there's good players with decent attributes who just don't perform. Combine this with the settling into a team thing over the course of a season but mostly having one year contracts, and generally looking to get promoted and need newer players soon it's a kind of weird change.

So far, I've faced one biggish problem. I can get my team setup to play against teams that think they'll beat us. Long ball/route one, score more goals than them, job's a good 'un. The problem is facing teams that don't think they can beat us, they play cautiously, and usually with 5atb, and because my players are targeted towards a route one formation I don't have a patient ball game to break down a heavily defensive system. It's something I've been figuring out for the past few saves I've done, as I've never had the objectively "best" team; adjusting my tactic within my player limits to negate the tactic we're facing. It's a massive learning experience.

And one thing I will say, nearly a year later, is that FM23 is much better than previous iterations at the tactical matchups where you have to adjust to what you're facing. I feel in previous games you could just get a good tactic and go with it, whereas this version needs you to poke and prod, and change things up (presuming you're not going with downloaded tactics.) At least as far as basic formations and mentalities go.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Ohh yeah, I meant to say to you...I've been playing that database and it's good fun. Just a couple of seasons in but I'm enjoying it. However, once my Dundalk team started doing well, they moved...to the loving RDS!

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Mickolution posted:

Ohh yeah, I meant to say to you...I've been playing that database and it's good fun. Just a couple of seasons in but I'm enjoying it. However, once my Dundalk team started doing well, they moved...to the loving RDS!

Glad to hear it! I half played/half did editor shenanigans (at the serious end of the business) to get Cork City to Europe. I've watched Celtic get all the way to the CL Semi-finals and the save didn't break. And the scheduling seems to be fine with my Cork team and Europe. I might have to change something about when the FA Cup equivalent final is played, and some playoff finals, that could theoretically fall near an international window, but apart from that it's going good. I might also increase some of the money in the leagues, more prize money in the top league and more TV money in the lower leagues to counteract the "match day expenses" cost, which I think is the cost of travelling between Wales/Scotland/Ireland, and is actually messing a fair amount with how much money I thought would be in the league. Compared to my England save Match Day Expenses are much higher in the Celtic Nations database, which I think really is just travel costs.

The only other thing is I'd rename the premiership league. Paddy Power being sponsors sort of makes sense, but it being a gambling company doesn't sit right with me upon reflection. I'd be tempted to go with Ryanair, an equally reprehensible bunch of cunts but they actually provide a service people want rather than solely screwing people out of money. If anyone has any other sponsor ideas let me know? So far we have Paddy Power (boo!) Ardbeg, Kingspan, Kerrygold, Tunnock's and the "Welsh Lamb League."

Sorry about your RDS situation, sharing with the rugger buggers, but that sounds like it's programmed into Dundalk as their alternative ground, because the top league demands a 9000(?) capacity stadium and the second tier suggests it. I was hoping attendances would increase more with promotions but it doesn't seem to work out that way. I think teams already too close to the top don't have scope to grow organically. I might have to go back and manually increase everyone's attendance outside the Old Firm.

Anyway, of course, now I know the database is 90% how I want it a new FM is imminent, so there's not really a point to it. C'est la vie.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I mean Guinness is probably just about the most famous Irish company in the world, no?

Good things come to those who wait. And they already pretty much sponsor Rugby.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Somewhat off-topic, but I am currently re-reading that FM2014 LP on lparchive.org for the first time in years. Good stuff if you haven't seen it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I especially enjoy the Scooby Doo-esque interludes

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

JustJeff88 posted:

Somewhat off-topic, but I am currently re-reading that FM2014 LP on lparchive.org for the first time in years. Good stuff if you haven't seen it.

its one of the best lp's ever imho

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Mrenda posted:

Sorry about your RDS situation, sharing with the rugger buggers, but that sounds like it's programmed into Dundalk as their alternative ground, because the top league demands a 9000(?) capacity stadium and the second tier suggests it. I was hoping attendances would increase more with promotions but it doesn't seem to work out that way. I think teams already too close to the top don't have scope to grow organically. I might have to go back and manually increase everyone's attendance outside the Old Firm.

That makes sense. IRL, big European games have been in Tallaght, but that's below 9k, too. Might just edit the back to a larger Oriel.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

It planted the seed for me finally playing FM many years later. Such a great LP

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

ItohRespectArmy posted:

its one of the best lp's ever imho

Agreed

Eric the Mauve posted:

I especially enjoy the Scooby Doo-esque interludes

I thought that they were too silly, but you're right. I'd never thought about it that way, but they are very Scooby Doo

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Oh poo poo, FM23 is free with Prime this month. Yoink.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Moktaro posted:

Oh poo poo, FM23 is free with Prime this month. Yoink.

I have a fraudulent* Prime subscription - yoink indeed!

*I'm using a student discount for Prime even though I am faculty. I regret nothing.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
And FM24 announced, out 11/6

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

SirFozzie posted:

And FM24 announced, out 11/6

The roadmap they have set out for announcements...

Supposedly, this'll be everything FM23 wasn't. And it's the last of the "series" of the old FM style before they move to Unity, and they want to "do it proper." I figure I'll be getting it on the chance FM25 is a collosal gently caress up and this is the last stable edition for a few years.

Also, I'm hoping to remake my Celtic Nations Custom Database again but actually make it generally available. So if anyone else wants to play around with the latest version for FM23 before FM24 comes out let me know and I'll send it to you. I've gotten some nice comments on it, but there are definitely some changes I'd make.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I sure hope the Offloading players is a simple hand wave "Get rid of this player at all costs" type thing and it just gets done.
Selling players is so loving difficult. Even when successful.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
"smarter transfers" ya okay. I'll believe when I see it. They've been saying that for years and the AI is still horrible at them.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

AlbertFlasher posted:

"smarter transfers" ya okay. I'll believe when I see it. They've been saying that for years and the AI is still horrible at them.

just spread the 140 mil over 5 years, you'll give up on the save within 2 seasons who gives a poo poo! v :) v

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
FM25 is going to be a massive cockup. I hope that FM24 will be an incredible game just to highlight the train wreck of FM25.

Note that I'm not even pissing on the devs in regards to moving to a new engine - genuinely. I simply consider it inevitable when one changes engines on a game that only has a year-long development cycle due to the bullshit economics of sport games. They need at least an extra year of dev time, but they can't just say 'We're going to take a year off to beta test the poo poo out of this'. They have to put out a game in the autumn of 2024 no matter what, so it will probably be dreadful and 2026 will be much better.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Looking forward to regen pictures getting set back to 2003 once again

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Realistically it's just changing the match graphics engine, not the rest of it. Seems like worst case we're going to have wonky animations

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

Looking forward to regen pictures getting set back to 2003 once again

They should snap up the Zealand automated regen photo pack from like a few years back

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Slotducks posted:

They should snap up the Zealand automated regen photo pack from like a few years back

Yeah absolutely this, it's so loving good

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Mrenda posted:

And it's the last of the "series" of the old FM style before they move to Unity

Unity probably won't exist as a company by next year the way things are going

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I might buy FM25 on the first sale and then set up a script on my old desktop machine to uninstall and reinstall it over and over

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Vando posted:

Unity probably won't exist as a company by next year the way things are going
lol yeah was just thinking this is hilarious timing to be moving to it

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I've played a couple of seasons with AFC Telford now. Promotion to the Banarama National didn't make for too easy a life. We managed three years in a row making it to the playoffs, but never managed to get 2nd or 3rd to avoid the quarter final playoff. First two years we failed at the first or second step. First year we just bottled it, second year we played extra time in the quarter final which meant my players were shagged for the semi-final and didn't really stand a chance. We could never build up a head of steam in the regular season to get higher up the table as we were semi-pro, and that really affected my player's fatigue levels. I was getting messages in October that players needed a rest, and come the end of the season half my team needed a rest after every match (so we basically abandoned training and rested as often as we could.)

Third year we go pro, I get a good team in via free agents (players released from the Prem u21s and u18s) and I decide to make a real go at it. Having decent players, predicted to come fourth, I figure we can finally play some football and run them off the park. Big mistake. 10 to 12 games in we're playing like shite. It seems even being relatively better than most other teams doesn't mean my squad isn't a bunch of cloggers. It's back to hoofball we go. I have to turn the morale around, which is difficult and luck, but we get a couple of draws and wins, and really push on, but we're already way behind. Come January and the mid-season slump we're in playoff places but the slump means we fall out of them. We get some good results around Feb to March and that sees us out to the end of the season with another slump in the last 8 games, and finally three or so wins at the end to finish in 5th. We make the playoffs, and this time we actually succeed!!! We win all our playoff games in regular time by one goal but it's enough, and the media is praising us!

Onto Sky Bet League Two. Some of my players don't want to sign with me again because they think they deserve a better team (in rep,) others simply aren't good enough. The problem is the players released by the Prem this year are shockingly bad, and my squad feels deeper but technically worse. I hope League Two isn't the pivot point, rather League One, where you need more all around skill over pure athletic talent, because my team is mostly made up of athletic youngsters at the moment. I have to rely on the Prem releases because my board won't allow scouting outside my league, not even neighbouring leagues, let alone the whole of England. This is a problem as I have no clue who I can sign or who's contract is ending. I'm totally blind. It also means the good Prem releases are snapped up before I have a chance to trial them. So I guess for the moment that's the plan. Establish myself well enough to increase my scouting range, then really build a team to challenge from League Two all the way to the next pinch-point, the Championship.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Mrenda posted:

Also, I'm hoping to remake my Celtic Nations Custom Database again but actually make it generally available. So if anyone else wants to play around with the latest version for FM23 before FM24 comes out let me know and I'll send it to you. I've gotten some nice comments on it, but there are definitely some changes I'd make.

If this means you have updated it since the version I got, please do send along the update! Happy to hear there will be a FM24 version as well.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Sub Rosa posted:

If this means you have updated it since the version I got, please do send along the update! Happy to hear there will be a FM24 version as well.

Sent

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Mrenda posted:

The roadmap they have set out for announcements...

Supposedly, this'll be everything FM23 wasn't. And it's the last of the "series" of the old FM style before they move to Unity, and they want to "do it proper." I figure I'll be getting it on the chance FM25 is a collosal gently caress up and this is the last stable edition for a few years.

Yeaaaah, about that...and beaten like an MLS defender facing Messi.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Are Unity going to charge them $2 every time you reload on youth intake day?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Here's how importing save games from FM23 to FM24 will work:

https://www.footballmanager.com/news/football-manager-2024-feature-rollout-and-new-partnerships

quote:

Back in June, I was delighted to let you all know that FM24 would include one of the most requested features over the last 20 years - the ability to transfer saved games from one edition of FM to the next.

Now, I can go into more detail as to how it will work and confirm the platforms that it will be possible on.

Anyone who is not ready to step away from their existing save in Football Manager 2023 (PC/Mac), Football Manager 2023 Console (Xbox/PS5) or Football Manager 2023 Touch (Nintendo Switch™), will be able to continue that career into FM24, FM24 Console or FM24 Touch and benefit from this year’s new additions in the process. Unfortunately, this won’t be possible for FM24 Mobile, although it’s something our team are exploring for the future.

When you load FM24, FM24 Console or FM24 Touch for the first time, you’ll see a panel directly above ‘Start a New Game’ that reads ‘Load FM23 Saved Games’. This panel contains details about how transferring saves works and allows you to begin the process of bringing a game forward from FM23.

All of the relevant new features in FM24, FM24 Console or FM24 Touch will be present in any saves you bring over. In some cases that will result in certain items or tutorials triggering immediately after you convert your save, while you’ll need to set some other things up from scratch.

The panel I mentioned won’t appear again on subsequent launches but don’t worry, you’ll still be able to load FM23 games into FM24. To do this, go into the Load Game menu and follow the instructions explaining where you’ll find old saves and how to bring them across.

Note that there are a couple of things not possible with transferred save games unfortunately. The first is FM24 achievements (trophies on PS5), which you’ll need to start a new career to accomplish. You also won’t be able to watch replays of matches played in FM23, as these aren’t carried across when converting.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Yes, a cup match.
Yes, against an Amateur team.
Still, I've never had a team score a bunch in the first half and still put in this much effort in the second half.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
J league is in!

Look out Kevin Muscat, I'm coming for you homie!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Set Pieces have been redesigned and might actually not be a massive ball-ache