Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
seems kind of fruity. yeah ive got just the pulp series for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I was the kid who kept buying the gigantic heavy guiness world records/ripleys believe it or not books

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
i kept getting the novelizations of the pokemon anime from the scholastic thing

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I read goosebumps and stuff in school and then my teacher decided we should all read a real horror story and had the class read Hiroshima

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Scholastic book fair novelization of Small Soldiers changed my life.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Ohtori Akio posted:

seems kind of fruity. yeah ive got just the pulp series for them

librarians always know

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Babe Magnet posted:

I was the kid who kept buying the gigantic heavy guiness world records/ripleys believe it or not books

lol had a big silver one for some reason. it was on sale!

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
the scariest show was Beyond Belief with Jonathan Frakes

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
tho the dummy from Night of the Living Dummy breathing gas into your mouth while you sleep to turn you into a dummy probably freaked so many kids out, along with the original IT shown on network TV.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i would just simply not breath the gas

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i would just simply not breathe

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

butthead achieving the highest levels of enlightenment. he has seen the top of the mountain

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I read goosebumps and stuff in school and then my teacher decided we should all read a real horror story and had the class read Hiroshima

had a teacher in middle that was one of those "stories about monsters and aliens and ghosts can't possible scare me because I know they're not real" and even as a dumbass kid I knew they were full of poo poo

Cranappleberry posted:

the scariest show was Beyond Belief with Jonathan Frakes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCT80HJWQ2A

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
what’s the most problematic book you read in middle or high school. I’ll start and instantly win this contest: Mission Earth

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

nrook posted:

what’s the most problematic book you read in middle or high school. I’ll start and instantly win this contest: Mission Earth

you win op

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Heath posted:

One that stuck out to me was Calling All Creeps where a dorky kid at his school falls in with the "creeps" who are other dorky kids at school but then he finds out that they're actually David Icke style lizard people who are plotting to seed the school bake sale's cookies with something to turn all the kids into creeps. The creeps think that the main character is also a creep and is actually their leader or something but once all the kids start turning he's like "ah well if you can't be worshipped for saving people you may as well be worshipped for ruling them" and then turns himself into a lizard too. Weird as hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB5iHbs21dk

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
turning into a lizard person and immediately begin fighting others for a spot on the good basking rock

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

redwall owned, but I haven't revisited it since high school lol. I hear the lsot couple of ones are pretty dire due to his declining health

I was a massive Redwall fan as a kid too but looking back it was kinda weird how certain species were always evil save for one or two isolated individuals (who are still evil for like 95% of their book but they die doing a good deed). Might just be because the books are British though :v:

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
british guys look at a big rear end menu from a delightful restaurant and ask if the kitchen could fix them a quick race essentialism

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

nrook posted:

drat op the furthest I got was Orson Scott Card

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Babe Magnet posted:

had a teacher in middle that was one of those "stories about monsters and aliens and ghosts can't possible scare me because I know they're not real" and even as a dumbass kid I knew they were full of poo poo
it was more of a teacher going from 1 to 11 because Hiroshima will loving STAY with you and goosebumps is poo poo like a kid being trapped inside a mall that's been turned into a pinball table

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
reading card at like 14 years old and being very confused as to why there was an extended nude wrestling segment in the book

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

Ibblebibble posted:

always evil save for one or two isolated individuals

:hai:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Feels Villeneuve posted:

reading card at like 14 years old and being very confused as to why there was an extended nude wrestling segment in the book

I picked up one of his books in a cafe that I vaguely recalled reading as a kid, and within thirty pages there was a wet naked preteen trying to fight off a flying toothed penis while a middle aged man watched oh Orson Scott card no

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Ohtori Akio posted:

british guys look at a big rear end menu from a delightful restaurant and ask if the kitchen could fix them a quick race essentialism

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sebmojo posted:

I picked up one of his books in a cafe that I vaguely recalled reading as a kid, and within thirty pages there was a wet naked preteen trying to fight off a flying toothed penis while a middle aged man watched oh Orson Scott card no

Look up the plot synopsis to Somgmaster if you need to know all there is to know about OSC's sexual hang ups.

There's a reason all he does anymore is fart out more Enders Game sequels.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Plant MONSTER. posted:

turning into a lizard person and immediately begin fighting others for a spot on the good basking rock

it's right under the lamp!

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Solefald posted:

I didn't read or watch any goosebumps as a kid because it scared the poo poo out of me!!!!! I'd just watch the intro and immediately turn the channel in fear

On the app with your avatar scaled down I thought the capybara was in leather gear with a ball gag lol

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

pentyne posted:

Look up the plot synopsis to Somgmaster if you need to know all there is to know about OSC's sexual hang ups.

wait isn't Card dead. I definitely thought he was dead

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Kinkybara

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

nrook posted:

my parents caught me with a copy of Real Ultimate Power i was borrowing from a (future) goon friend and they thought it was a white supremacist book but no it was a book about boner jokes and fake karate and they were Not Happy

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Most Problematic Trash: Firefly, the Piers Anthony that ends with an afterword about how child molestation should be legal

Actual Great Literature That My Parents Probably Should Not Have Let Me Read At 13: Katherine Dunn's Geek Love, about a carnival family that deliberately tetatogenizes their children to serve as sideshow attractions, and then things get worse

Most Deleterious To My Becoming A Functional Human Being: a billion AD&D 2E Forgotten Realms expansion books

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

pentyne posted:

nah i'm good thanks

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Orson Shitt Fard

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Ohtori Akio posted:

Orson Shitt Fard

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

pentyne posted:

:yikes:

Didn't have Orson Scott Card becoming even more odious on today's bingo card, but here we are.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I bought one of the goosebumps cyoa books where you could turn into a werewolf and it's written as a rad thing (as it should) and you could have endings where you get cured or stayed one. I donated it to my mom's esl tuition mini library. That book was the most read with tape sticking up the cover and pages and I have to tell myself I didn't accidentally create several classes of furries over the years

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Speaking of problematic reads i read flowers in the attic (literally kept at our family home attic, am assuming a cousin left it) because the youth paper at the time had a review without touching on the incest plot, it was definitely a little twist I didn't expect. My mom who never read it added it to her library and I quickly replaced it with some book about uri gellar so instead of creating kids super into problematic slash fiction I made a bunch of them try to bend spoons

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

nrook posted:

Fountainhead or Venus in Furs. I’d argue fountainhead.

An hs gf went to architecture school cause of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Speaking of problematic reads i read flowers in the attic (literally kept at our family home attic, am assuming a cousin left it) because the youth paper at the time had a review without touching on the incest plot, it was definitely a little twist I didn't expect. My mom who never read it added it to her library and I quickly replaced it with some book about uri gellar so instead of creating kids super into problematic slash fiction I made a bunch of them try to bend spoons

lol oh my god