Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Im having troubles figuring out how to actually use Kameos mid-combo. Seems like the button just does nothing a good 80% of the time. Am I just doing something wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Orv posted:

It is metaphysically impossible to create a universe where Bi Han has any chill whatsoever.

He kind of was in the Malibu Comics run. He got to have the big heroic moment at the climax of the series.

The comic ended with a teams version of Armageddon where Earthrealm's fate was decided by whether Team Heroes or Team Villains got to a special medallion first. Bi-Han was the last of the good guys standing and took down Goro before telling Scorpion he knew he was nearby. Then he basically told him, "I'm not fighting you. You came back from the dead because you're a loving sore loser and I don't have time to deal with dorks. Later, dipshit." Then he crawled over to the medallion while being burned alive.

In MK1's story mode, Hydro totally should have shown up in the finale, but I imagine the rights for him are iffy.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I told myself that I should not be interested in this but lord help me I am starting to get sucked in.

It does sound like there is a good amount of single player content at least.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Nobody's talking about story mode's finest moment: Johnny Cage running away while sucker-punching Goro and laughing.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Unbound posted:

Im having troubles figuring out how to actually use Kameos mid-combo. Seems like the button just does nothing a good 80% of the time. Am I just doing something wrong?

Most of them don't let you act while they're assisting unless they're "ambush" kameo moves and there aren't that many of them

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Gavok posted:

Nobody's talking about story mode's finest moment: Johnny Cage running away while sucker-punching Goro and laughing.

Only equalled by 3 alternate reality Cages ganging up on Goro-Khan

Does anyone know how brutalities work in this one? Are they only available if you've unlocked them? I read some obviously AI generated article (which is most of the internet now re: video games, dozens of articles about Mk1 Brutalities that all say the same gobblideeguk) and those say you need to have them unlocked but then the only criteria is to finish your opponent with the move. HOWEVER, I have unlocked 2 of Scorpion's one to finish with his hot foot move and one with the throw but neither are popping off as a brutality for me.

The uppercut one I can nail fine.

Edit: NM if you enable the "advanced info" in the movelist it tells you the criteria to activate the brutality

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 15, 2023

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Most of them don't let you act while they're assisting unless they're "ambush" kameo moves and there aren't that many of them

Ive been using Cyrax. Sometimes when I do Reptiles Death Roll, I can get Cyrax's Helicopter to hit and carry the combo, but it just seems entirely random on if it will work or not. When it does, I can hit like 37% on my combo, but when it doesn't it just kind of fails. Maybe Cyrax is the issue and I should try a different Kameo, but Cyrax is the only one that I really like.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Jerkface posted:

Only equalled by 3 alternate reality Cages ganging up on Goro-Khan

Does anyone know how brutalities work in this one? Are they only available if you've unlocked them? I read some obviously AI generated article (which is most of the internet now re: video games, dozens of articles about Mk1 Brutalities that all say the same gobblideeguk) and those say you need to have them unlocked but then the only criteria is to finish your opponent with the move. HOWEVER, I have unlocked 2 of Scorpion's one to finish with his hot foot move and one with the throw but neither are popping off as a brutality for me.

The uppercut one I can nail fine.

Edit: NM if you enable the "advanced info" in the movelist it tells you the criteria to activate the brutality

All the ones I have done require something extra. IE, Reptile's Death Roll Brutality needs you to press UP, Up, Up by the time the second hit of the move happens. If it kills on the 3rd hit, you're poo poo out of luck on the Brutality.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Unbound posted:

All the ones I have done require something extra. IE, Reptile's Death Roll Brutality needs you to press UP, Up, Up by the time the second hit of the move happens. If it kills on the 3rd hit, you're poo poo out of luck on the Brutality.

These are really frustrating because I feel like I'm doing the thing required but obviously not exactly how they want because I can't get it to go. Scorpions has one that is use his back forward kick flame move and hold UP on hit. I have held up right after activating and held up right when the move connects and nada

Really weird!!!

Also another annoying thing in the move list is the distances are wrong. Close = Mid, Mid = far, and Far = really far

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Jerkface posted:

These are really frustrating because I feel like I'm doing the thing required but obviously not exactly how they want because I can't get it to go. Scorpions has one that is use his back forward kick flame move and hold UP on hit. I have held up right after activating and held up right when the move connects and nada

Really weird!!!

Also another annoying thing in the move list is the distances are wrong. Close = Mid, Mid = far, and Far = really far

Yeah, Reptile has one that is Forward 3, 2 Hold back on the 2 hit. But it has never worked. Ive done everything I can think of for it. Only have the 2 part of the string hit. Doing it in a combo. Doing it solo. Only doing it. Hitting like 7 Acid Spits/Acid Balls/Death Rolls/etc...

Wondering now if its just a think with combo-string brutalities

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Abroham Lincoln posted:

And that somebody is Ed Boon. If you follow him he posts gifs from Endgame all the time and talks about how there's never been a cooler cinematic moment than this and so on. He absolutely loves it.

"Avengers, assemble"

*12 versions of Mileena but goth walk out of a portal, followed by 10 clown Raidens and 5 chef Jaxs*

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

PostNouveau posted:

"Avengers, assemble"

*12 versions of Mileena but goth walk out of a portal, followed by 10 clown Raidens and 5 chef Jaxs*

Imagining this makes me want to see a version of MK where Raiden or Lord Liu Kang recruits the Team Fortress guys to protect Earthrealm.

"Aw, don't be such a baby. Ribs grow back. (Yes, they actually do.)"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

For whatever reason Li Mei’s nasally delivery of “I will prevail Earthrealmer” has been in my head all day.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Gavok posted:

Imagining this makes me want to see a version of MK where Raiden or Lord Liu Kang recruits the Team Fortress guys to protect Earthrealm.

"Aw, don't be such a baby. Ribs grow back. (Yes, they actually do.)"

Only if you are Havik

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Gavok posted:

To me the entire ending sequence is peak mortal kombat and I would play an entire campaign set in that clusterfuck of stupidity

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
Final story chapter notes:
Sweet, Ninja Mime is here!

Oh crap, Evil Ninja Mime is here!

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Thinking about buying MK11 on PC so I can make this a legitimate mod

https://twitter.com/cutedge242/status/1702801948934885647

edit: yeah i know this is a dumb joke

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 15, 2023

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
The one relevant to my interests thing I haven't tested is how the pc version runs in online matches against randos with my aging comp that has to run the graphics on low settings. Maybe i'll do a trip report tonight, if anyone's interested.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Granted, I'm a filthy casual but I'm not liking this nearly as much as MK11 so far but I'll admit that a lot of it is the lack of peripheral stuff like the Towers of Time and the Krypt. Does it still have that one automated online mode where you set your guys' strategy and let other people's teams challenge yours while you're offline? That was really fun.

I am well and truly irked at how bad the cosmetics system is. There were so many options in MK11 and almost none in this game. At least give me costumes that cover everyone's toes; everyone being half barefoot just looks super weird to me!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Story Mode was fun but narratively was so poor that if you didn't know who Havik was, you'd have zero idea why he's able to rip off his limbs and do sick poo poo. Feels like there was zero "this is how he got powers" moment beyond getting his face melted off lol.

I like being able to get seasonal costumes but it is a bummer ALL of them are orange/red shades. It'll be a kold day in hell before I put Sub-Zero in orange or red clothes.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
biggest downgrade from MK11 is the lack of Prince references in Rain’s move list. wtf

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder if (final chapter)you'll be able to use DLC characters for the final chapter

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Been watching Story Mode. I have questions.

So... Liu Kang decided that he would make Quan Chi and Shang Tsung's lives miserable to prevent them from causing trouble... but then just decided Shao Khan could stay a barbaric warmonger? Didn't think that one through eh, Liu Kang?

Also Liu Kang created them for the purpose of making them suffer for things other versions of them had done. That's really petty and cruel. He coulda just given them some decent lives they'd be content with instead or something.

Shang Tsung and Quan Chi shoulda been a couple of gay dads raising their own Kombat Kid. Then when "Kronika" shows up and is like "Hey I will give you all the power you could desire" they'd just be like "Nah we're good. We're taking Shao to Gymboree now, bye."

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I really should learn my lesson from Amazon. I've yet to ever receive a game on "release day guarantee." Hopefully mine arrives tomorrow.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Diabetic posted:

I really should learn my lesson from Amazon. I've yet to ever receive a game on "release day guarantee." Hopefully mine arrives tomorrow.

Yeah, the last game I did that with was FF7 Remake. Released on a Friday, didn't receive it until Monday. My plans for putting in a good amount of time over the weekend were going to take a huge hit. I immediately bought it and downloaded it from PSN and sent the physical copy back.

gently caress Amazon's """release day""" bullshit. I've gone download only since then.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Jamesman posted:

So... Liu Kang decided that he would make Quan Chi and Shang Tsung's lives miserable to prevent them from causing trouble... but then just decided Shao Khan could stay a barbaric warmonger? Didn't think that one through eh, Liu Kang?

Also Liu Kang created them for the purpose of making them suffer for things other versions of them had done. That's really petty and cruel. He coulda just given them some decent lives they'd be content with instead or something.

Possible real spoilers here if you're not finished with the story
It's my impression that Liu Kang basically only had one shot at getting it right (this is explained later in the story) and he mightve felt that Shang and Quan are of such poor inherent moral character that no matter what kind of life he gave them they would always be vicious opportunists, so he just made them as non-threatening as possible. This is disproven later in the story when alternate timelines filled with good Shang tsungs and Quan chis are revealed to exist, but he had no way of knowing this

Also he didn't directly make Shao into a warmonger, he ensured that he was more of a sickly weak child but his father was the sort to push him into good health through tough love so he ended up being roughly the same kinda guy anyway

Liu Kang also says in the intro that he's only merely capable of kicking things off with the hope that his new initial parameters would allow for peace in the realms and that mortals still have their own free will regardless of his influence-- which is a convenient way to say, yeah Liu Kang got it wrong but if he didnt then there wouldn't be a story

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
I just remembered the kombat kids getting their poo poo wrecked on the pyramid lmao. I didn't mind them but it's really funny they put a "gently caress these characters" scene in there

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

DLC Inc posted:

Story Mode was fun but narratively was so poor that if you didn't know who Havik was, you'd have zero idea why he's able to rip off his limbs and do sick poo poo. Feels like there was zero "this is how he got powers" moment beyond getting his face melted off lol.

I like being able to get seasonal costumes but it is a bummer ALL of them are orange/red shades. It'll be a kold day in hell before I put Sub-Zero in orange or red clothes.

I think with MK you can just accept a dude can do that.

Like who's picking up MK and going "what the..... This guy can rip his arms off?????? That doesn't make any sense!"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Me playing MK9 or something and seeing that Scorp is a skeletion. "This is loving bullshit!! Skeletons aren't alive!!!!!!"

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
I thought the story mode in this one was really weak. The ending was kinda neat in a goofy way but I was sick of multiverse/timeline stuff in media even before 11 came out so the fact that we have a second reboot and they're already doing it again just made me roll my eyes.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think with MK you can just accept a dude can do that.

Like who's picking up MK and going "what the..... This guy can rip his arms off?????? That doesn't make any sense!"

The problem is they kinda do at least offer a cursory explanation or aside for most things, so it feels extra weird that Havik and only Havik is just this weird outlier that's never explained why or how he can do what he does.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Ryaomon posted:

The problem is they kinda do at least offer a cursory explanation or aside for most things, so it feels extra weird that Havik and only Havik is just this weird outlier that's never explained why or how he can do what he does.

Also I think the only time prior to MK1 where Havik was shown to actually rip limbs off his body was in Joker's MK11 ending, in Deception/Armageddon he just twists his body and doesn't sever or regenerate limbs.

Or maybe it was some obscure MKX era comic thing for 3 panels :v:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Jamesman posted:

He didn't exactly do that. The original Shao got his start by backstabbing Onaga, then draining all the life energy from Outworld before going on to conquer everything he saw.

New Era Shao started off as a sick kid who had to train himself up into strength, and gained all his political power through a successful military career. In theory, that would've given him a much more humble, grounded upbringing than the original's, which at least theoretically would've resulted in a very different person by the modern period.

What Liu Kang doesn't seem to have counted on is that Shao took all the wrong lessons away from that and was absolutely miserable in a time of peace.

It's not a poorly considered plan, though, and it might have even worked if not for Shang Tsung.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Ryaomon posted:

Don't they straight up say havik comes from a place called Chaosrealm in his first appearance in the story

I feel like that's probably more than enough to infer maybe some people from there can do some wacky poo poo

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

I'm playing through the final chapter a couple of times to see all the alternate timeline chars and I'm actually losing count of how many alternate universe Johnny cages I've encountered, they definitely made more of him than anyone else

I hope this is leading up to an Oops! All Cages DLC pack

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

EorayMel posted:

Also I think the only time prior to MK1 where Havik was shown to actually rip limbs off his body was in Joker's MK11 ending, in Deception/Armageddon he just twists his body and doesn't sever or regenerate limbs.

Or maybe it was some obscure MKX era comic thing for 3 panels :v:

Havik was the main villain of the comic and yeah, after defeating him, Scorpion was carrying around his still-living head. Then he just threw it into the Netherrealm for Moloch and Drahmin to torture.

Rhonne posted:

I wonder if (final chapter)you'll be able to use DLC characters for the final chapter

Speaking of this, I just watched a video showing every character's interaction with Lord Liu Kang at the end of story mode. All the villain characters, including Shang Tsung and Havik, react politely to his compliment, except for General Shao, who is all "OF COURSE I'M AWESOME, YOU FOOL!" Otherwise, Kung Lao's kind of an rear end and Johnny mentions that "Chosen One" was one of his highest grossing films. Also notable is that choosing Liu Kang means you'll play as ANOTHER Lord Liu Kang.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Doc Walrus posted:

I just remembered the kombat kids getting their poo poo wrecked on the pyramid lmao. I didn't mind them but it's really funny they put a "gently caress these characters" scene in there

What’s even funnier is that there’s a datamined early version of that cutscene that has them kicking rear end, presumably to lead into a segment where you fight them. That they chose to go with the version they did with the other one right there and basically complete aside from audio is extremely funny

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Abroham Lincoln posted:

What’s even funnier is that there’s a datamined early version of that cutscene that has them kicking rear end, presumably to lead into a segment where you fight them. That they chose to go with the version they did with the other one right there and basically complete aside from audio is extremely funny

extremely funny and also kind of practical, the Kitana that bails you out would know exactly how those four would fight

The three or four Hsu Hao fans out there will breathe a sigh of relief that he wasn't getting tooled on this time

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

pretty soft girl posted:

I'm playing through the final chapter a couple of times to see all the alternate timeline chars and I'm actually losing count of how many alternate universe Johnny cages I've encountered, they definitely made more of him than anyone else

I hope this is leading up to an Oops! All Cages DLC pack

FemCage makes me feel things.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Story Mode is redeemed by Ninja Mime Johnny's silent war cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Diabetic posted:

Game hasn't released yet? I thought premium prerelease access was digital only.

Edit:Oh I guess I'm wrong and even amazon has shipped premium versions.