Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

MrQwerty posted:

When I got power armor and mowed down a deathclaw first thing, I knew it was gonna be real lovely

Oh man that's kinda awful.

I mean I remember getting rekt by a deathclaw every encounter until the end game In Fallout 3 and feeling so good killing them in droves

Fallout was definitely a game I played intensely. I think I finished it at least 12 to 20 times. Different renditions being evil being good, different constraints. I think I played a run only using fists and then power fists. I mean just so many different ways to do it. Nothing is ever lived up to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
when playing fallout, I always go "good guy" route for the first play through. Other play throughs I go the rear end in a top hat approach ;)

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Bethesda is so afraid of letting the player have money it's so loving stupid. The vendors have 5k, but engaging with the skills that let you sell stuff for more means that instead of being able to sell three guns for 1.6k each, you start being able to sell each gun for 2k, so then you can only sell two so now you're just lugging around an additional gun. So you have to find multiple vendors, except OPE this guy only buys medicine and food.

No, of course the kiosk that buys stuff on behalf of the galaxy wide trading company doesn't have more than 5k, are you loving stupid?

Whoever decided you have to register a ship for 80% of the amount it sells for should be shot. And what does registering even do? You just press a button and then you're able to modify or sell a ship. It's a money sink for no reason, registering a ship does nothing. You don't get dinged for not registering a ship, there's no mechanic involved, it's just a button that costs you money. And some ships I've had sell for as low as 6k. The registration cost 4.5k. Why? I did this for nothing. I sold a gun to the one guy in New Atlantis with a not embarrassing amount of credits for 7k. How the gently caress is a pistol more expensive than a ship that takes you across space to whole new planets? I hate the economy in this game, there's no reason to do anything but quests.

The meta for making any money is to just visit the stupid kiosk, go sleep for 24 hours, then go back and see that HAHA FUCKER it didn't reset so you go back to sleep again. Only once you've done this eight times will your inventory finally be low enough to be able to walk without gasping for air like a gutshot cow.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
If I remembers correctly from the tik toks.. In Akila city, the fancy dancy Shepherd's General Store. In front of the store in a puddle, there should be a hidden chest, a store chest. You can loot the poor poor shop keeps inventory.. think of those "hidden" chests in skyrim

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Wow a general loving store in a med bay. No different from an herbalists loving layer. I'm surprised they didn't put a blacksmith in this loving poo poo game loving poo poo game loving poo poo game

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

thank loving god i saved new atlantis from the tree shaped vibrator, it was about to cause a catastrophe where the townsfolk would just start cumming and would never be able to stop cumming, from the seductive tree's lustful vibrations

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

game does keep it real from time to time however

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I've never seen anyone fight anything but spaceman mooks in suits. Do you actually fight anything cool?

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
real bethheads play elder scrolls blades

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Caesar Saladin posted:

I've never seen anyone fight anything but spaceman mooks in suits. Do you actually fight anything cool?

nothing in starfield is cool unfortunately, so no

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

Sometimes you travel to a lv 60+ solar system to butcher the harmless wildlife for easy exp, does that count

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
no space scorpions??

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Philthy posted:

no space scorpions??

There was a planet full of space scorpions in the main story in relation to [soiler]two rikers[/spoiler]

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Im just sad man. Like meltdowns aside. Theres 50Gb worth of sandwich renderings and 3 GB worth of actual gameplay

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Grey Cat posted:

There was a planet full of space scorpions in the main story in relation to [soiler]two rikers[/spoiler]

If the game was 50 quests like Entangled it might actually be good. Instead 90% of the game is poo poo like some miner telling you to find the Heart of Mars and you Fast Travel directly to the cave where the Heart of Mars is and pick it up with zero fanfare quest complete

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

there's really no reason for you to believe anything the constellation guy tells you or join up with them at all. the game doesn't even try to lead you into the main story with a single compelling reason, and all of the dialog options are immediately an enthusiastic "hell yeah i want to join your rinky dink explorer's league where do i sign" as soon as you get there

like c'mon, couldn't they have given you something? maybe the space rock made you sick and they know the cure? a dragonborn immediately tries to slay you and they rescue you and take you there for safety? something, anything, any kind of reason why i should give a single poo poo about any of them from the get go.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

also, not to get too soilerly, there's not really a good way to opt out of the ending without just quitting the game and never finishing it. the ending is dumb as hell, and there is absolutely zero reason you should want to participate in it, and every single person you're introduced to in game who is in a similar situation as you is a miserable, pathetic, gollum-like creature because of it and the game and every single companion are like, yes, do it, become gollum you will love it!!!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Perfect Potato posted:

If the game was 50 quests like Entangled it might actually be good. Instead 90% of the game is poo poo like some miner telling you to find the Heart of Mars and you Fast Travel directly to the cave where the Heart of Mars is and pick it up with zero fanfare quest complete

that was pretty much my take, there's some interesting things here and there but most of it is not.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

The only good space game ever made was Tyrian 2000.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

Stealthgerbil posted:

I dont get how an indie game like Empyrion can do the whole ground to spaceflight thing and yet Bethasda with their infinite money can't figure it out.

It's worse than that.

Elite Dangerous
Outer Wilds
Empyrion
No Man's Sky
Pioneer
Star Citizen

Among others that have figured this out.

Not to mention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJvdZWhNLiM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHLZ_Tf4n3U

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 16, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

It's worse than that.

Elite Dangerous
Outer Wilds
Empyrion
No Man's Sky
Pioneer
Star Citizen

Among others that have figured this out.

pretty sure i played an educational game about haley's comet on the amiga in the late 80's that had more involved planetary landings.

also starglider 2 was a good old one

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 16, 2023

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Damocles, Mercenary 2 did this back in 1990 and it was awesome. I spent so much time exploring all the planets and buildings.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
space rangers 2- is actually he best space game ever

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

starfield is meh but wcg having a mental breakdown about it is funny af

we're all just one bad video game away from a break. For me it was Disco Elysium.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Driven mad by the lack of cat boys

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

escape velocity nova was a good space game. all the EVs, but that one was the culmination

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Wait I'm not done Control yet I have to beat the Foundation expansion. I'm like 40+ hours into this game.

I think I'll never play it again, I did enjoy it, kinda but not at the start, and enjoy that it's a huge game, but I'm tired of it. 8/10 though good game.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Wow a general loving store in a med bay. No different from an herbalists loving layer. I'm surprised they didn't put a blacksmith in this loving poo poo game loving poo poo game loving poo poo game
I don't know what you expected lol but you have my goondolences

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
If I had bought Starfield I'd be severely disappointed. Since it comes with a service I was already subscribed to I'm willing to say it is aggressively mid. I made a cool handgun and found a space grandma who gave me a bunch of well rendered food.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Buce posted:

escape velocity nova was a good space game. all the EVs, but that one was the culmination

nearly failed several classes because of that game

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

X Com 2

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i enjoyed Independence War 2, Freelancer, and both Descent FreeSpace games, as far as space games that are actually about flying around in space

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Oh yeah the guy who just gives you his ship and volunteers to stay and do your mining job despite the fact he was literally sent to get the artifact you found. I know Barrett's whole thing is running on instinct and vibes, but for him to be the first Constellation member you meet makes the org seem like the dumbest group of people.

Also the SysDef quest to infiltrate the Crimson fleet is the stupidest thing ever. I got boarded and my ship impounded over 500 credits. "YOU HAVE TO WORK WITH US TO CLEAR YOUR FINE IT'S SO BIG" bitch I literally have ten times that you people are psychotic. Maybe an actual threshold for the amount of crime needed to start that questline would help but jesus it was so stupid, I didn't even do that quest at all so I just waltzed around the galaxy with a cargo hold full of Aurora (allegedly, I never had any options of doing anything else with it other than the quest and no contraband scan even found it)

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I put this down for a while because the opening was kind of boring and I made it to a new place in BG3.

Picked it up and did a couple random side quests and both of them were literally "go to these points on the map and press E".

No fighting. No mystery. No real story. Just run here and press E.

Lame.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
why would anyone need to play a space game other than FTL, it's madness

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

dsf posted:

space rangers 2- is actually he best space game ever

You can't post that without the best gaming intro ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlixbA7_CH4

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
It looks so bland. Like the whole concept is "scifi rpg", that's it, it's not a specific world with any specific identity, it's just the genre.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Beartaco posted:

Driven mad by the lack of cat boys

:smithfrog:

Give it a few months, we'll have modded khajiit I'm sure.
See you, space catboy

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTwnob73cCQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

So does this actually have less handcrafted content than something like Fallout 4 or Skyrim, or does it just feel like that because for every handcrafted location you see 100 procgen locations?